Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

dogstile posted:

Is it objectively better? Have they even added barebones diplomacy yet?

I mean, I can call off attacks on a castle by giving people sums of money, and it’s much easier to create armies, and you can buy fiefs now.

So it’s enough to make me leave Warband uninstalled forever but it’s still so barebones that I was disappointed enough to make that post. I wonder if late game/kingdom management is a priority at all for the devs because it doesn’t really seem like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I installed the game again a week ago, played for a little bit with no mods at all. Tried to load my save today (still with no mods) and it complains that the modules are different/incompatible. Uninstalled the game again. Maybe I'll try it in a year or so.

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.

Chas McGill posted:

I installed the game again a week ago, played for a little bit with no mods at all. Tried to load my save today (still with no mods) and it complains that the modules are different/incompatible. Uninstalled the game again. Maybe I'll try it in a year or so.

That happens when the game version updates even if you don't have mods. It's fine.

Did you try just simply clicking through the notification and try playing?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Ah drat, I didn't. I assumed there'd be a nasty incompatibility and it'd break at some point if it worked at all.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it killed one of my save files the other week but the game itself runs fine

so if it's any consolation, there's a chance your save file was bricked and you didn't waste any of your time by uninstalling. it's definitely worth a pop in future, though

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Did they ever modify smithing so you don't need an ahk script to spam clicks to make a bunch of stuff or is that still a problem?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

buglord posted:

So it’s enough to make me leave Warband uninstalled forever but it’s still so barebones that I was disappointed enough to make that post. I wonder if late game/kingdom management is a priority at all for the devs because it doesn’t really seem like it.

Their only priority since the start of M&B in like 2005 has been their weird pseudo-alt-historicity obsession. They just aren't a very good game developer, they're the only developer in the genre and unlike DICE they don't have a bajillion dollars and a huge publisher that should force them to straighten them out so I can't really hate them for it. It is what it is and it'll always be that way, the game will always be far more awkward than something designed from a game design perspective. It's still fun, but I do wish someone else would do the whole thing better.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The most frustrating thing about it is that modders would gleefully do all of that work for them if they'd just fix the bizarre shader poo poo and stop pushing out pointless updates every other week that break all the mods.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i reinstalled warband to check out the updated viking mod since it had been a while and for a couple hours it was cool and then the whole overworld map randomly turned black and ive been unable to fix it. welp

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i really wish a good dev would come along and make a better m&b and dethrone taleworlds. its wild to me that no one has attempted it. taleworlds does such an insanely bad job it seems like it would be trivial for a modern design team to outdo them. oh well

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

we see the output of modern design teams all the time and it's usually not as good as m&b

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i mean there are games like crusader kings and total war that are significantly better at the kingdom management side of things, and total war's large battles are pretty cool. but no one has combined that with decent first/third person medieval combat with personal troop management like mount and blade. and m&b isn't exactly amazing at that stuff either, but i cant think of anyone else really even doing it at all. i haven't tried chivalry, but it looks like a different kind of game.

personally my favorite thing to come out of the whole m&b world is still "with fire and sword" just because i love that period of history but the idea that a major developer/publisher would ever get involved in something like that is insane so i'll take my janky scraps. same with the napoleonic multiplayer, its still pretty fun if repetative and i'd love to see an aaa studio do a first/third person napoleonic combat game but i just dont think there's enough interest. maybe after that new joaquin phoenix napoleon movie comes out.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 13, 2023

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

fire and sword was cool as hell. that was my most replayed after viking conquest

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
It certainly is surprising that mount and blade is still essentially one of a kind despite what seems like such popularity and interest.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I am frustrated by having to put up with all these other idiots in my kingdom. I can only heroically beat the piss out of thousand-plus stacks of enemy armies using entirely resources from within my clan while suffering absolutely minimal losses then go on to take their castles and towns in one place at a time. Could the rest of you poo poo fucks at least *TRY* to secure the rest of the kingdom outside of my presence? All the other AI kingdoms seem to manage it somehow, and losing time trying to travel across the map to defend the third siege in a row in that area means by the time I get there I'd probably have to turn around and go back to the first place I left to prevent the same thing happening.

I'm not even asking you defective assholes to press in to enemy territory and conquer things. Just hold the loving line somewhere, anywhere, at all, so my time isn't an eternal, pointless, merry-go-round of re-conquering the place I took that you assholes lost.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Yeah. This basically summarizes why I run out of steam as soon as I enter the kingdom management stage of the game. It sucks so hard and I’m really bummed this wasn’t addressed in Bannerlord.

Hopefully some mod will come in and make late game management less sucky or skewed favor towards the player?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i dont know how to do mods but for one thing castles should be a lot more self-sustaining and generally able to hold out much better against sieges, across the board. also sieges should last a significantly longer amount of time. that doesn't seem like too complicated of a change but again i have no idea what is actually involved.

it also doesnt seem like ai armies ever run out of food or suffer any kind of attrition in hostile territory, that might take more complex changes though. but if the various factions had to maintain actual supply chains you'd certainly spend a lot less time running around retaking poo poo.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 13, 2023

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

bird food bathtub posted:

I am frustrated by having to put up with all these other idiots in my kingdom. I can only heroically beat the piss out of thousand-plus stacks of enemy armies using entirely resources from within my clan while suffering absolutely minimal losses then go on to take their castles and towns in one place at a time. Could the rest of you poo poo fucks at least *TRY* to secure the rest of the kingdom outside of my presence? All the other AI kingdoms seem to manage it somehow, and losing time trying to travel across the map to defend the third siege in a row in that area means by the time I get there I'd probably have to turn around and go back to the first place I left to prevent the same thing happening.

I'm not even asking you defective assholes to press in to enemy territory and conquer things. Just hold the loving line somewhere, anywhere, at all, so my time isn't an eternal, pointless, merry-go-round of re-conquering the place I took that you assholes lost.

This makes it sound as if the player joining a kingdom makes that kingdom's AI dumber or gives enemy kingdoms more resources as a handicap but surely that's not the case? Aren't the enemy kingdoms being hamstrung by their lords' AI in the same way?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The computer does get to cheat. NPC nobles get free troops when they spawn on the map and I think NPC clans get free money every day too. Idk if they take those away from NPCs in the kingdom the player joins, but who knows, they probably would have if they decided players were conquering the whole map too quickly

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 14, 2023

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

From dev posts i recall reading on this topic, it cheats less than you might think.

I think its more like the AI isn't as bothered by losing territory as players are, and if they have to sacrifice land far away to succeed at offensives with their big army they are often happy to.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
It's really funny releasing a noble then fighting them again like five minutes later and mostly all their troops are the lowest level recruit

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
There was that super fun bug for a while there where some nobles would spawn with only their civilian gear...
Your breadknife, silvery dress and absence of mount are no match for my lancers!!

downout
Jul 6, 2009

I tried a mod that reduced the amount AI could "cheat" to get troops built back up and that helped with the tedium of insta-armies popping back out during the kingdom management phase (also cranked the difficulty up to offset this a little). Unfortunately, with how often patches drop, playing with mods can be annoying.

The in-game way I've found to control having to deal with the idiot AI on my faction is to control the war through taking prisoners. When I want the war to end quickly or start winding down, then I start taking enemy lords prisoner and holding them. Maybe just the clan leaders as I fight them, maybe more to end it quicker. It ends up acting a bit like the diplomacy mod in that the attacks slow because there are less enemy parties, and at some point enough in my faction want to have peace and get paid.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The weird thing is, the AI does actually recruit units like players do, most of their cheating is money management- once you fight your way through their lords once they tend to come back with really badly tiered units and it takes time for them to get back to normal, it's just, you're one person and they are many, and because they have freedom to act they can be where you aren't.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
If I recall the starting army cheating wasn't in the original release but added later to stop the death spirals that kingdoms often fell into after a major defeat. Like they'd lose a battle and never be able to build up forces because major lords would suddenly spend all their time captured by looters. This was one of the big causes of snowballing in early versions.

They basically replaced it with perpetual stalemate since any war now is just perpetual whack a mole with armies of 1000+ popping up forever.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Earwicker posted:

i mean there are games like crusader kings and total war that are significantly better at the kingdom management side of things, and total war's large battles are pretty cool. but no one has combined that with decent first/third person medieval combat with personal troop management like mount and blade. and m&b isn't exactly amazing at that stuff either, but i cant think of anyone else really even doing it at all. i haven't tried chivalry, but it looks like a different kind of game.

personally my favorite thing to come out of the whole m&b world is still "with fire and sword" just because i love that period of history but the idea that a major developer/publisher would ever get involved in something like that is insane so i'll take my janky scraps. same with the napoleonic multiplayer, its still pretty fun if repetative and i'd love to see an aaa studio do a first/third person napoleonic combat game but i just dont think there's enough interest. maybe after that new joaquin phoenix napoleon movie comes out.

mount and blade is the worst at all those things, except all the other ones.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I kind of feel like snowballing is realistic to some extent, like if you crush a kingdom under your heel shouldn't they lose? But you'd have to somehow better represent the arising of new factions and make rebellions stronger so that new kingdoms would emerge from established ones more frequently.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I think the problem the devs were trying to address was mostly that one kingdom (usually the khuzaits) would get to conquer nearly the entire map before the player had grinded up their guy enough to be able to make big contributions in the war. So it would be like the game had mostly played itself out before the player got to play. Instead of slowing that down by just capping how much a kingdom can lose at once, would it be better to slow it down by making conquering harder by making them have to also maintain supply lines or do more complicated diplomacy? Maybe, but that might also be tedious to the player when they have to do it.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Surely the sensible solution is to just speed up the grind, M&B’s has always been MMO level absurd

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I would love if supply lines for large armies was a concern, if only to keep medium-sized parties relevant.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

I think the problem the devs were trying to address was mostly that one kingdom (usually the khuzaits) would get to conquer nearly the entire map before the player had grinded up their guy enough to be able to make big contributions in the war. So it would be like the game had mostly played itself out before the player got to play. Instead of slowing that down by just capping how much a kingdom can lose at once, would it be better to slow it down by making conquering harder by making them have to also maintain supply lines or do more complicated diplomacy? Maybe, but that might also be tedious to the player when they have to do it.

supply lines are definitely necessary, and also increasing vassal rebellions and wars of succession. like it should be fine if the khuzaits conquer most of the map as long as stuff keeps happening after that like they split into new competing factions or have regional breakaways etc.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

Surely the sensible solution is to just speed up the grind, M&B’s has always been MMO level absurd

This is absolutely true

Earwicker posted:

supply lines are definitely necessary, and also increasing vassal rebellions and wars of succession. like it should be fine if the khuzaits conquer most of the map as long as stuff keeps happening after that like they split into new competing factions or have regional breakaways etc.

Yeah I think groups of vassals teaming up and trying to break away into their own kingdom, maybe because the king is spending all their time and serfs fighting a war a zillion miles away is a big omission. It wouldn't even be a distraction from nonstop war when the player has to deal with it by putting down the rebellion

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 15, 2023

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

I really miss the character export/import in old M&B. I think there is a mod to replicate that functionality but it should really just be a base game feature.

It was especially nice because the series has had so many mods and starting from square one whenever trying a new one just gets old.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Gobblecoque posted:

I really miss the character export/import in old M&B. I think there is a mod to replicate that functionality but it should really just be a base game feature.

It was especially nice because the series has had so many mods and starting from square one whenever trying a new one just gets old.

Yeah, I realised when I named my character "Asdfjkl" that I'd experienced one-too-many update-induced restarts

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I am so glad to come to this thread and see I'm not alone in being disappointed in this game that I've been playing for like fifteen years. I remember back in the day when Oblivion had come out and we were all thinking, man the next big game is going to be like Oblivion but with Mount and Blade's horsey fighting and troop stuff. It seemed like a logical step, at the time.

Whatever. I can't ever get the game to run with more than like one mod because inevitably there's tons of incompatibilities. Is there an updated all-around good mod pack that is current and functions with the present version of the game?

edit: I can't even get the dismemberment mod to work and my modlist is identical to the example one :(

Maybe I should just go back to the first one.

edit again: ah I guess it's because a recent update broke a mod that all mods are dependent on and it'll be fixed soon

credburn fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 17, 2023

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
Since Viking Conquest for Warband has had a recent update, are all the VC mods now broken? Are all the old VC mods now unplayable unless they get updated?

EDIT: The discord for the VC Balance Mod says it's pobably safe.

Corsec fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 25, 2023

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

credburn posted:

I am so glad to come to this thread and see I'm not alone in being disappointed in this game that I've been playing for like fifteen years. I remember back in the day when Oblivion had come out and we were all thinking, man the next big game is going to be like Oblivion but with Mount and Blade's horsey fighting and troop stuff. It seemed like a logical step, at the time.

Whatever. I can't ever get the game to run with more than like one mod because inevitably there's tons of incompatibilities. Is there an updated all-around good mod pack that is current and functions with the present version of the game?

edit: I can't even get the dismemberment mod to work and my modlist is identical to the example one :(

Maybe I should just go back to the first one.

edit again: ah I guess it's because a recent update broke a mod that all mods are dependent on and it'll be fixed soon

nothing works, it's awesome

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Was there any serious point to that Warband update besides breaking all the mods in the hopes some players will give up and buy Bannerlord

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

Was there any serious point to that Warband update besides breaking all the mods in the hopes some players will give up and buy Bannerlord

I don't follow warband, but did TW seriously roll out an update that broke everything?

I wouldn't be surprised, they update bannerlord pointlessly alll the time IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2937242207

Fully open world with persistence playable right now. I've been looking forward to this for a long time!