Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I said come in! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa3lVBrx4JU

A content creator got to play quite a bit of Wayfinder and posted their impressions and gameplay. This looks like it might be a fun game? Plus it's going to actually come out soon???

The game looks good! But, well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
sure does look... fine? another arpg i probably won't want to grind. is there much MMO in it beyond grouping for dungeons? i'll admit to not watching the whole thing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pryce posted:

I really don't understand the hype around it. I've played a fair bit and it's just like.....slow Warframe with very floaty controls. I love me some Warframe, but people are acting like this game is the 2nd coming when it's a very standard session-based action RPG.

People are just content starved for MMOs, even though the genre has no right to exist still. Really when I see this game, I don't see why it shouldn't instead just be a single player offline title. That applies to most MMOs.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kaysette posted:

sure does look... fine? another arpg i probably won't want to grind. is there much MMO in it beyond grouping for dungeons? i'll admit to not watching the whole thing.

You are correct. This really doesn't need to be an MMO.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Upcoming Game has ~potential~ to be The Game In My Head, so I'm pinning my identity to it now.

I will throw an absolute hissy fit every time someone mentions something about Upcoming Game that I don't like.

When it is available to play I will continually grade it on what I think it should be instead of what it is, and write angry messages to the developers who dare to make the game they want it to be.

When the next online thing approaches launch I will abandon this game, publicly bashing the dev team for abandoning the potential I ascribed to their game.

I will never realize that I am in this cycle.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Memories of Alexander De Large

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Pryce posted:

I really don't understand the hype around it. I've played a fair bit and it's just like.....slow Warframe with very floaty controls. I love me some Warframe, but people are acting like this game is the 2nd coming when it's a very standard session-based action RPG.

I'd like to know what game exists that makes you think a very standard session-based action RPG wouldn't be a good and notable thing to have right now?

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I'm all for a Diablo killer tbqh, MMO schMMO.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

I'm just tired of having to play some fixed named character with ~personality~ and ~quips~.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the only thing I don't like about it so far is that it's defined characters. Looks fun though, and I always wonder why there aren't more "grab some friends and go fight through fantasy dungeons" games like this one.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

It's been exceedingly generic for my testing experience. Like the combat is... fine? It's really slow. The premade characters don't make any sense. You can opt out of being a duplicate with Real Dollars of course, but it doesn't stop the effect of just seeing tons of other duplicates.

It also borrows the most important trait from Wildstar in that it looks like a cartoony WoW-esque game but runs like absolute rear end, defeating the purpose of a simplified artstyle entirely.

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

Tricky Ed posted:

Upcoming Game has ~potential~ to be The Game In My Head, so I'm pinning my identity to it now.

I will throw an absolute hissy fit every time someone mentions something about Upcoming Game that I don't like.

When it is available to play I will continually grade it on what I think it should be instead of what it is, and write angry messages to the developers who dare to make the game they want it to be.

When the next online thing approaches launch I will abandon this game, publicly bashing the dev team for abandoning the potential I ascribed to their game.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

nessin posted:

I'd like to know what game exists that makes you think a very standard session-based action RPG wouldn't be a good and notable thing to have right now?

If it’s good, it’ll be notable! It’s just not there right now, IMO.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I played a few hours in one of the closed tests they had and yeah, it's Fine. But it is also in no way an MMO and I'm not sure why the devs are claiming that.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

1stGear posted:

I played a few hours in one of the closed tests they had and yeah, it's Fine. But it is also in no way an MMO and I'm not sure why the devs are claiming that.

They're literally not.

Never mind they totally are now.

Dinurth fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 19, 2023

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Dinurth posted:

They're literally not.

Ah, my bad. Coulda sworn I saw something official calling it an MMO but I can't track that down now.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Tricky Ed posted:

Shame this is too long for a thread title tbh

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Abroham Lincoln posted:

It also borrows the most important trait from Wildstar in that it looks like a cartoony WoW-esque game but runs like absolute rear end, defeating the purpose of a simplified artstyle entirely.

Yeah but you can type 'riot games + artststion' into stable diffusion and get all of your art done instantly for pennies on the dollar :discourse:

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Tricky Ed posted:

This is surely too long to be a thread title, but it should be the thread title.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
MMO CHAT: Which upcoming game should I base my entire identity on?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Wayfinder for now, and then I think Ashes of Creation.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

hold on, some ncsoft or nexon mmo will be out between those two

e: throne and liberty is going to be great!

doomisland fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 15, 2023

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Well it's about time, I don't think anyone's released Bless for almost 6 months.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Hra Mormo posted:

Well it's about time, I don't think anyone's released Bless for almost 6 months.

Don't worry, it's coming back, and with NFTs this time, too!
https://bless.tigonmobile.com/

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
the perfect mmo already exists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkfwWyJT5OU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

doomisland posted:

hold on, some ncsoft or nexon mmo will be out between those two

e: throne and liberty is going to be great!

Throne & Liberty has been in development since like Ultima Online was a brand new game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol old school WoW vibes

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I said come in! posted:

lol old school WoW vibes

That's because it literally is made in WoW. I saw a youtuber play it a while ago and it's pretty funny, but I appreciate the effort put into it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Reminds me of when I was watching this Youtuber play through obscure Warcraft 3 maps and someone had managed to wrestle the engine into making a passable fighting game with all the usual bells and whistles. It's a lot of loving effort for something very few people are going to be able to appreciate, and I respect peoples' dedication to that kind of crazy vision.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLlTfayFLfs

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Doom Rooster posted:

MMO CHAT: Which upcoming game should I base my entire identity on?

:mods:

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

the two evers in this title have always bothered me

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

An excellent title

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

:golfclap:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I said come in! posted:

Throne & Liberty has been in development since like Ultima Online was a brand new game.

It actually looks like it could be a PvE/opt-in PvP focused version of Black Desert which imo would be really good.

But then you watch all the trailers and notice how they just do boring panning shots of the world. They also don't really talk about any particular features like crafting, or housing, or really anything besides zone events and castle sieges.

And then it hits you like "oh it's because this game is going to be enormously shallow."

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Asses of Creation

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
diablo 4 has a bunch of MMO-like elements in it to mimic lost ark and the arpg folks are pissed they have mounts now

i guess that's the next big mmo on the radar lol

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

They even got the MMO FOMO going hard as to get the wolf cub backpack you need to get a character to 20 in the beta this weekend or next.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

doomisland posted:

They even got the MMO FOMO going hard as to get the wolf cub backpack you need to get a character to 20 in the beta this weekend or next.

Time to re-create our classic Archage guild "More Money Than Sense"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I can't remember was that the guild name before or after BFM got caught and all that poo poo exploded