Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

ha ha tdarr go brrrrrrrrrrrr

Nearly a TB saved so far. I’m fairly impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I'd go tdarr in lieu of buying more HDDs but there's tbs I'm still seeding so it's kinda not possible for now

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

Docker containers should be considered ephemeral. You technically can click update but it's best to wait for the container to be updated. That's why you have mounts to persist data.

If you want to automate updates, I think Watchtower is a good option.

Plex itself, if you use the official Plex docker image with Plex Pass, does this the Wrong Way. The container doesn't actually have Plex in it until the first time it starts, when it downloads and installs the latest version. It will also check for updates every time the container starts and will autoupdate each time.

Every other related container that I've used properly follows the idea of "must pull new image to update". Most even go so far as to disable the web UI update buttons with a "get a new Docker image" message.

I will also throw in a vote for using Compose to make updating/ redeploying much easier.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Linuxserver.io has your back in that department. Afaik everything works as you’d expect, hardware transcoding included.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

To be clear, I don't mind or care that Plex does that - I'm used to it and to an extent I actually prefer it. I can update every other container whenever I feel like with "docker compose pull && docker compose up -d" and it won't interrupt anyone's stream. I can update Plex by either rebooting the box for other updates, or just "docker restart plex" at some time when it's not going to result in wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Btw if you leave out the VERSION variable on the linuxserver it behaves as expected. Container update = plex update.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Warbird posted:

Haha yeah it was pretty satisfying once I got mine finished up late last week. Cool poo poo.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I have an old dual CPU Xeon server that I've been using for Plex but I've noticed that I'm getting buffering when watching some movies on my own home (wired) network. I'm looking for a newer system and I was wondering if I should go the QNAP/Synology route or build my own?

I have mostly 1080P and 4K media and my family accesses media remotely so I need something that can handle a few streams at a time. I don't have multiple copies of each media file so I guess I need to do transcoding. Should I be looking at CPU or GPU transcoding?

All the devices accessing the Plex server will the Apple TV 4Ks or recent iOS devices.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Maybe you can cram a cheap nvenc video card into it?

Although, why not figure out the cause of the buffering. It should never do that due to drive or CPU speed? If you are trying to transcode multiple streams on CPU, then I would expect issues.

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 12, 2023

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Anything modern Intel with an iGPU will offload transcoding well enough for a couple of 4k to 1080 streams. On BYO or pre-built I guess it depends on time and budget. I just shoved unraid on my last desktop hardware (i7-8700/32gb) with a bunch of HDDs in a desktop case and couldn't be happier with minimal janitoring.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Anything "dual Xeon" regardless of generation isn't going to have a GPU onboard / quicksync capabilities, those features are exclusively available on single-socket processors.

Now as far as just raw CPU transcoding, what generation / model of Xeon will matter a lot. My old dual E5-2667 V2 / current E5-2680 V3 setups both can easily do >10 1080p
-sourced transcodes simultaneously and I don't think I've yet run into a bottleneck on them. But a single 4K-to-anything transcode would use up about 70% of both CPUs on the E5-2667 V2s, and trying to do two simultaneously (or one and a lot of 1080p) would result in the CPU not being able to keep up.

You can possibly throw more CPU at the problem but GPU is probably cheaper if your goal is transcoding 4K-to-anything.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Aware posted:

Anything modern Intel with an iGPU will offload transcoding well enough for a couple of 4k to 1080 streams. On BYO or pre-built I guess it depends on time and budget. I just shoved unraid on my last desktop hardware (i7-8700/32gb) with a bunch of HDDs in a desktop case and couldn't be happier with minimal janitoring.

even an older J4125 will transcode 2 4k streams with quicksync, the new N5105 is even better

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mr. Apollo posted:

I have an old dual CPU Xeon server that I've been using for Plex but I've noticed that I'm getting buffering when watching some movies on my own home (wired) network. I'm looking for a newer system and I was wondering if I should go the QNAP/Synology route or build my own?

I have mostly 1080P and 4K media and my family accesses media remotely so I need something that can handle a few streams at a time. I don't have multiple copies of each media file so I guess I need to do transcoding. Should I be looking at CPU or GPU transcoding?

All the devices accessing the Plex server will the Apple TV 4Ks or recent iOS devices.

Ideally you don't want to your server to be video transcoding (audio transcodes are usually a non-issue). You only want video transcoding when your Plex server has to serve a client that doesn't support your files OR if you don't have the bandwidth headroom from higher bitrate media for remote clients. You want your Plex clients to direct play everything, but sometimes that isn't feasible. When playing locally, is your server transcoding video streams?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Did you nerds know that people are digitizing vinyl records as 24bit 96kHz FLAC?

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
They should laser scan the grooves and then use that to build a 3d model and emulate a needle or w/e

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Imagine if Apple came out with iTurntable and iVinyl

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

cruft posted:

Did you nerds know that people are digitizing vinyl records as 24bit 96kHz FLAC?

Well how else are you supposed to capture the warmth of vinyl?!

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

I can update every other container whenever I feel like with "docker compose pull && docker compose up -d" and it won't interrupt anyone's stream.

Just wanted to say thanks for posting this. I had searched for an easy way to do this with docker compose and found nothing. I know about watchtower but I prefer to update containers manually. I had given up and just wrote a simple bash script around the standard docker commands so I could give the container_name to but this is much better and will just make the script simpler.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Warbird posted:

Back in the day on the old music sites, if you uploaded music that was transcoded from anything other than lossless the upload would be removed and you’d get a warning or ban. Granted audiophiles are a special breed, but is that also the case for video? Will some dweeb run a spectrum analyser on your 264->265 transcode and then whinge about it?

Only reason I haven’t considered transcoding my 264s is because of PTSD from those days and wanting to keep them available as is if needed

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

cruft posted:

They were doing this poo poo in like 2008 and all the comments were unironically

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Back in the day on the old music sites, if you uploaded music that was transcoded from anything other than lossless the upload would be removed and you’d get a warning or ban. Granted audiophiles are a special breed, but is that also the case for video? Will some dweeb run a spectrum analyser on your 264->265 transcode and then whinge about it?

Only reason I haven’t considered transcoding my 264s is because of PTSD from those days and wanting to keep them available as is if needed

265 is more than good enough for non perverts and is hella small. AV1 looks to be even better but will be a few years yet to be widely available for en/decoding.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Will some dweeb run a spectrum analyser on your 264->265 transcode and then whinge about it?

Anything that’s distributed absolutely should contain source on it, and that source should always be whatever the top of the food chain is. The people using tdarr are doing it just for themselves so doesn’t matter.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I mean if you want to be creating torrents for the major private movie/TV trackers, you should probably be aiming to start with a lossless source (e.g. the BluRay). Not sure if your torrent would straight up be taken down, but it will probably be trumpable. But also, those sorts of sites will usually already have people posting quality rips in the various allowed formats following best practices. If you aren't trying to be one of those people on that sort of site, I wouldn't worry about it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Blu-ray isn’t considered a lossless source, it’s already lossy compressed, which is another good reason to not be using a second generation lossy encode as the source if you care about output quality.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Splinter posted:

I mean if you want to be creating torrents for the major private movie/TV trackers, you should probably be aiming to start with a lossless source (e.g. the BluRay). Not sure if your torrent would straight up be taken down, but it will probably be trumpable. But also, those sorts of sites will usually already have people posting quality rips in the various allowed formats following best practices. If you aren't trying to be one of those people on that sort of site, I wouldn't worry about it.

Yeah that’s what I figured. I mostly keep them as I got them in cases of reseeds, if I tdarr’d then I’d have to either store the source somewhere and 1.5x my storage needs, or upload the transcode to help them out (which based on this, wouldn’t really help)

Thanks for all the answers folks!

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Blu-ray isn’t considered a lossless source, it’s already lossy compressed, which is another good reason to not be using a second generation lossy encode as the source if you care about output quality.

Well I guess lossless isn't the right word here when talking about video, but yeah that's what I was getting at. If you care about uploading movies and shows to serious trackers, you shouldn't be transcoding from something that wasn't the original quality of the consumer source (whether that be BluRay, Web-DL or high quality WebRip). But also, if you're asking this question you probably shouldn't worry about this. Let the people that care about this stuff post the torrents (and in cases of popular titles, they're going to beat you to the punch anyway).

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Yeah that’s what I figured. I mostly keep them as I got them in cases of reseeds, if I tdarr’d then I’d have to either store the source somewhere and 1.5x my storage needs, or upload the transcode to help them out (which based on this, wouldn’t really help)

Thanks for all the answers folks!
Depends on the specific site's rules I suppose. If there are no seeds or nothing uploaded at all for the title, they may accept your transcode until someone trumps it. If you're going to hold on to your original downloads for re-seed request the only reason to transcode would be if you need lower filesize/peak bit rate for remote streaming and don't want your server to transcode on the fly for whatever reason. Honestly if you're otherwise seeding enough and a solid member of the site you're on, I wouldn't worry about holding onto the originals if you'd rather transcode to save space. Someone (or another site that people have access to) will almost always have what people are requesting.

Splinter fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 15, 2023

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Mini PC's with n100 chips and 8k AV1 decoding are like 150 dollars and my shield has only 3gb of ram and apps are crashing. I know the tegra has long legs because of the switch but I know nothing about media PC's. Hell I would buy a new shield model but I doubt that's going to happen. And I doubt the Mini PC's have HDMI 2.1 out.

I think I'm just venting and fishing for a solution

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Splinter posted:

Let the people that care about this stuff post the torrents (and in cases of popular titles, they're going to beat you to the punch anyway).

Oh to be young again, when the FBI and WB were after my rear end. Pretty sure the statute of limitations is long expired on that, but I’m still somewhat proud of the NBC News article that’s still up.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Dicty Bojangles posted:

When he was working on Vorbis, Monty intentionally tried to encode noise like vinyl artifacts (which people like) and not MP3 artifacts (which people dislike). Either way you're degrading the signal, but Vorbis does it in a way that people don't mind as much.

I can't find the usenet post talking about this, but I did find http://mp3.radified.com/ogg_psycho_models.htm, which is related and interesting.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

teagone posted:

Ideally you don't want to your server to be video transcoding (audio transcodes are usually a non-issue). You only want video transcoding when your Plex server has to serve a client that doesn't support your files OR if you don't have the bandwidth headroom from higher bitrate media for remote clients. You want your Plex clients to direct play everything, but sometimes that isn't feasible. When playing locally, is your server transcoding video streams?
The only thing I can think of are a few 4K files that would get downsampled when viewed on a 1080P TV. The vast majority of my stuff is 1080P or 720P.

I think I figured out the issue with the buffering. It looks like it was just due to a really large video file (25GB). That said, I'd still like to get a new Plex machine as the current one is too big and puts out a ton of heat.

Is a small ITX i3/i5 computer with a NAS holding all the media a decent solution?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

really large video file (25GB).

Holy hell.

Do you encode your vinyl at 96kHz and 24 bits per sample?

It's okay to tell us, we won't judge you.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Is a small ITX i3/i5 computer with a NAS holding all the media a decent solution?

I use a Raspberry Pi 4.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

cruft posted:

Holy hell.

I don't think having remuxes is that weird.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah, I've got some 4k remuxes that are MUCH larger than 25gb. Like 100+ gb.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

cruft posted:

Holy hell.

I have some 100GB 4K BluRay rips and I won't settle for less for the movies I love. :colbert:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

lol if your copy of Dune isn't at least 50 GB

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

acksplode posted:

lol if your copy of Dune isn't at least 50 GB

Also if it isn’t in the aspect ratio prepped for the IMAX presentation. So much better than the home release.

E: doh mixed my Villeneuves, I was thinking BR 2049.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I'm just a pleb with a 1080p TV.

And a whole lot of free storage space :smug:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

cruft posted:

I'm just a pleb with a 1080p TV.

And a whole lot of free storage space :smug:

4K TVs are like $250 now.

edit: HiSense 55" 4K HDR TV for all of $269 :2monocle:

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 15, 2023

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Making friends with the right people in the movie industry so I can load my Plex server with DNxHR encodes of every movie I'm interested in, at 1-2 terabytes each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

cruft posted:

Holy hell.

I use a Raspberry Pi 4.
The rest of them are all around 2 - 4 GB. It just seems to be that one outlier.

What do you use for storage with your Raspberry Pi setup?