Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

i thought sardines were renewable because only dads eat them

Manoueverable posted:

Calling overfishing a major issue is a giant understatement, my ex was researching it in grad school and was pretty much citing it as the surest sign of civilization's imminent doom by the middle of the century in the latter stages of our relationship.

that's a rough relationship if she's bringing THAT up during a fight...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Manoueverable posted:

Calling overfishing a major issue is a giant understatement, my ex was researching it in grad school and was pretty much citing it as the surest sign of civilization's imminent doom by the middle of the century in the latter stages of our relationship.

Early European explorers coming to the Americas said there were so many fish in the Atlantic you could walk across it.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Has anyone said eat the rich yet? Cause we should totally eat the rich.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

fartknocker posted:

Has anyone said eat the rich yet? Cause we should totally eat the rich.

I’d rather boneless wings.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

3 DONG HORSE posted:

i thought sardines were renewable because only dads eat them

that's a rough relationship if she's bringing THAT up during a fight...

Well at the time it came across as "I have acquired horrible knowledge about the world; I cannot process this alone, and you are the only person who will listen to me and understand precisely how hosed we are." But without getting too E/N about it, it was largely miserable even aside from that.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I think I’ve told this before but a friend of mine legit thought that there was a guy in the back “deboning” the wings to make boneless wings.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Manoueverable posted:

Well at the time it came across as "I have acquired horrible knowledge about the world; I cannot process this alone, and you are the only person who will listen to me and understand precisely how hosed we are." But without getting too E/N about it, it was largely miserable even aside from that.

I'm sorry :glomp:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Joey Freshwater posted:

I think I’ve told this before but a friend of mine legit thought that there was a guy in the back “deboning” the wings to make boneless wings.

Many moons ago, like maybe 2007 or 2008, I had an intern who swore the exact same thing and that he'd held that position at Domino's.

He went on a huge rant about it one afternoon, and everyone in the office was looking at each other like, "What the gently caress is he on? Do we need a breathalyzer?"

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Joey Freshwater posted:

As long as he wasn’t deflowering them.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

The Big Jesus posted:

Corn is for alcohol and cars, not cows.

also for bread

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Intruder posted:

also for bread

I was going to chime in with tortillas.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
If boneless wings were actually meat that was de-boned then they would be a lot more expensive.

Vegan wings are now coming with sugarcane "bone" sticks inserted to give the illusion of eating an actual drum wing.

People are weird when it comes to eating meat & meat substitutes.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

swickles posted:

I was going to chime in with tortillas.

that's just flatbread! :v:

Android Apocalypse posted:

If boneless wings were actually meat that was de-boned then they would be a lot more expensive.

Vegan wings are now coming with sugarcane "bone" sticks inserted to give the illusion of eating an actual drum wing.

People are weird when it comes to eating meat & meat substitutes.

I don't understand why you'd eat a mediocre version of a meat dish as a vegetarian/vegan instead of one of the many delicious vegetarian dishes out there that aren't trying to pretend to be meat

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Intruder posted:

I don't understand why you'd eat a mediocre version of a meat dish as a vegetarian/vegan instead of one of the many delicious vegetarian dishes out there that aren't trying to pretend to be meat
:hmmyes:

I'm not vegetarian or vegan, and if I ever have to give up meat I'll be very sad indeed, but actual vegetarian and vegan dishes that know what they are and stay in their respective lanes are delicious and will be a good silver lining when that day comes.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I’m legit angry that beyond/impossible has essentially replaced every veggie burger out there.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Joey Freshwater posted:

I thought this too as a kid. To be fair to me and your friend, that is how boneless thighs are made

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Bird in a Blender posted:

I’m legit angry that beyond/impossible has essentially replaced every veggie burger out there.

A lot of places around here serve either an impossible burger or a black bean burger. I've had both and they're good.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Intruder posted:

that's just flatbread! :v:

Because people try to make your food choices moral ones instead of a health one.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bird in a Blender posted:

There's something about the texture of both Beyond and Impossible burgers that just tastes off to me.

One of them, I can't remember which, also had a very strong flavor of peas.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Intruder posted:

I made some food for a friend's family last week as they just had a baby & the father is allergic to soy and all nuts. This means making Indian, Thai, or any other vegan Asian dishes is kind of off the table.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Intruder posted:

This has always been my thought as well. I am not vegetarian, but I don't think it would be that difficult to do so. I just don't see the rationale in replacing meat with fake meat, tofurkey is terrible, impossible sausage was terrible, Saag Paneer is good, a bean burrito is fine. Make dishes that are inherently vegetarian and it will taste good, trying to replicate something that is 90% meat seems like a wasted effort.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 15, 2023

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Sometimes I just want to eat junk food :shrug:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ehud posted:

Sometimes I just want to eat junk food :shrug:

Most junk food is vegetarian.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Free Range Doritos

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Skwirl posted:

lol ok how about :

Sometimes I specifically want junk food like a burger and fries, or onion rings and a chicken sandwich, or a brat.

It’s nice to have the option to get lovely vegetarian fast food.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ehud posted:

lol ok how about :

Sometimes I specifically want junk food like a burger and fries, or onion rings and a chicken sandwich, or a brat.

It’s nice to have the option to get lovely vegetarian fast food.

Oh, I don't think of that as junk food I think of it as fast food. I think of junk food as stuff like Cheetos, Fritos, Dorritos, things that end in "-os," but I get your meaning.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Skwirl posted:

Oh, I don't think of that as junk food I think of it as fast food. I think of junk food as stuff like Cheetos, Fritos, Dorritos, things that end in "-os," but I get your meaning.

Interestingly, Cheetos and Doritos are not vegetarian. They use rennet in the cheese. Rennet is made from stomach enzymes.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I have had some meat substitutes that were perfectly fine. Theres a vegan place near me that makes a “cheesesteak” with seitan and that’s not really something I think you can mimic with mushrooms or whatever. I agree that a good vegetarian meal will make you not miss meat at all, but if meat substitutes get someone to cut back on their consumption I’m not going to knock somebody for it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I legit order impossible burgers sometimes and i have no food restrictions. They aren't all made the same though some places make them a lot better than others

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

My weakness is hot dogs, and veggie hot dogs are like the worst meat substitute around, but I’m still loving eating them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

kiimo posted:

I legit order impossible burgers sometimes and i have no food restrictions. They aren't all made the same though some places make them a lot better than others

That's true about every kind of burger.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Fifty Three posted:

:hmmyes:

I'm not vegetarian or vegan, and if I ever have to give up meat I'll be very sad indeed, but actual vegetarian and vegan dishes that know what they are and stay in their respective lanes are delicious and will be a good silver lining when that day comes.

I'm very lucky to have not lost anyone to COVID in the last three years (that I know of), but I did lose an amazing vegetarian Indian buffet that I had only just discovered in January 2020. If I could eat at that place every day I'd be vegetarian for sure.

Also happy three-year anniversary to the first US COVID lockdown lmfao

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I bought pretzel burger buns and I dont think I can go back

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I’m sorry, pretzel buns loving suuuuck I don’t want to chew through a dense roll to get to my burg

Anyway, my friend’s girlfriend makes a vegan lasagna that’s pretty loving close to the real thing, it’s insanely good

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Timby posted:

There's something about the texture of both Beyond and Impossible burgers that just tastes off to me.

One of them, I can't remember which, also had a very strong flavor of peas.

Beyond Burgers smell so bad while cooking that I can't eat them. The smell of them cooking makes me nauseated.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Braksgirl posted:

Beyond Burgers smell so bad while cooking that I can't eat them. The smell of them cooking makes me nauseated.

I would try impossible burgers if you want experiment with meatless burgers, they taste closer to actual beef.

Or don't bother. I still eat meat, I try and eat less meat and have more salads and try and find vegetarian meals that aren't just an imitation of meat, and then eat meat as a treat.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Skwirl posted:

Pizza rolls aren't vegetarian :colbert:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Braksgirl posted:

One thing I noticed is that some people try to fry them without adding oil. Ground beef with a reasonably high fat content, say 90% or 85% or similar, fries nicely in a dry pan, but the substitute ones, Beyond and Impossible, both say to use oil and you have to use oil. Otherwise the surface burns and it is not lovely charring meat smell, it's just burning vegetable matter.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Beyond burgers smell like dog food raw. Once cooked they're fine, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Mod Pizza has vegan toppings, including cheese. Made celebrating Pi day convenient.

One IMAX theater live streamed the 25th anniversary 8K remaster of Darren Aranofsky's Pi but the projectionist kept the setting for 3D (which this remaster was definitely not in) so we all had to sit thru 5 minutes of blurry movie before they restarted it in the correct stttings.