Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Weka posted:

~22km out is international, so probably.

You'd think a lawyer would know an EEZ is international waters lol.

The UK got up to 51 in both world wars, is that just an outlier?

yeah

the USA would argue anyway that crimea is ukriane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

new bumper sticker

alternates

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

crepeface posted:

did a US drone really get pissed on by a russia jet until it drowned

yes I have the tape

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

not sure if I missed this or not

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1635627360681705474

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

ahhh
Moscow Hosts First ‘Russia Lovers’ Gathering - The Moscow Times

www.themoscowtimes.com posted:

Moscow played host Tuesday to an event that organizers touted as the first international gathering of Russia lovers as the country finds itself isolated over its invasion of Ukraine.

The founding congress of the so-called “International Russophile Movement” describes itself as a meeting of “those who sincerely love our country, its history and culture,” the state-run RIA Novosti news agency said.

“Even in Western countries today there are many people who are not afraid to call themselves ‘Russophiles’,” an unnamed organizer was quoted as saying, echoing the Kremlin’s talking points of a “multipolar world” and the need to respect “traditional values.”

Guests from 40 countries across Europe, Asia and Africa, as well as the United States, were expected at the first “International Russophile Movement” in Moscow.

Pro-Kremlin American action star Steven Seagal, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and Orthodox Christian businessman Konstantin Malofeyev were listed as keynote speakers.

“I am 100% Russophile and 1 million percent Russian,” Seagal said in remarks at the event.

President Vladimir Putin sent a congratulatory telegram to the “fledgling social movement,” contrasting it with what he described as “anti-Russian hysteria deliberately whipped up in many countries.”

“We highly appreciate your firm determination to oppose the Russophobic campaign and your desire to develop dialogue and mutually beneficial humanitarian cooperation,” Putin said.

The Russophile movement’s proposed manifesto declared the need to promote Russian culture and spirituality, “reliable information” about Russia, and to strengthen “people’s diplomacy in defense of a multipolar world.”

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
steven seagal posts in this thread and he knows all the posters

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

heard this entire thread got invitations

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the top posters in this thread were judo tossed onto the ground by steven seagal and thanked him for the privilage

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

I don’t get why he’s teeing himself up like this

If he didn't want to do that he shouldn't have been a comedian

https://twitter.com/KATURATION/status/1500049897961238530

The bit at the start is pretty good, the joke here is he's pretending to be Poroshenko and that he would do everything that he is doing now in real life.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

I'll be there

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Seagal has frequently told stories of fighting off the feared Japanese
mafia, the Yakuza. He told Movieline, “I jumped right in their faces.
I was a tenacious motherfucker, man, and I was fearless.”

Seagal’s first wife refutes his claims,“It is a lie. He once chased a
few drunks away from the dojo but never was involved with
Yakuza.” (Fujitani also cast suspicion on Seagal’s Aikido black belt.
“The only reason Steven was awarded the black belt was because the
judge, who was famous for his laziness, fell asleep during Steven’s
presentation. The judge just gave him the black belt.”)

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

seagull

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Those Harry Potter fans really need to read a second book one day, ideally not children's literature.

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

yellowcar posted:

the russian jet pissed fuel on the drone to show that it can piss fuel on drones

Rand Paul
Aug 2, 2009

Here's an hour and a half of Seymour Hersh. He mostly talks about Russia/Ukraine, but at~37:30 he seems to indicate that he's sitting on unreleased information related to the JFK assassination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbYRcVF8frc

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/MaxAbrahms/status/1635472220074962944

lol is forums poster Relevant Tangent actually Tim Snyder

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Salean posted:

yes I have the tape

Piss drone is real.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lavrov got that 'I'm embarrassed of my relatives' face

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yes

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I'm glad Ukraine discourse is coming back around to "Nuclear war wouldn't be that bad you pussies", that was definitely the least terrifying part of last year.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

If China brokered an end to the war it would be a catastrophic event for US foreign policy probably on a par with invading iraq/afghanistan or the vietnam war. The more I think about it actually the more plausible it seems, too, because China is the only country that can provide a settlement acceptable to Russia, Ukraine, and Germany/the EU. The argument of the progressive neocon warhawk people is that the Russian regime basically will never not be waging aggressive war on its borders, so there can be no peace with anything less than the full destruction of the Russian regime. China is the one country that can plausibly restrain Putin's Russia, though. It also has significant economic leverage on Germany

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
If...

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

When...

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
No need to broker a deal if one side can't trust the other to honor it :eng101:

You just set up big old gunlines like Korea and let it sit for 50-100 years. Maybe install some of those fancy Samsung remote turrets.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yeah, the russian state seems like it is in it for the long haul.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Finally, someone explained it in a way I can understand.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/MaxAbrahms/status/1635472220074962944

well they are both loving idiots so maybe

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ardennes posted:

We are at the point where articles can hint something is very very off, but the headline has to "stay on message" so you geat a near total disconnect over what is going on.

Also, the Ukrainian army was 255,000 witha a 900,000 pool of reservists in 2021. It does seem much of the professional army, in the sense what was sent into combat, is largely gone. In addition, it seems like at least a good portion of those reservists are out of action or unavailable as well one way or another. It may be they weren't killed/wounded, but simply they one way or another left the country or are working in an essential industry. You don't start throwing civilians into combat like they have been on a growing level if you have reservists with at least some military experience around. (Also, a portion of those reservists also overlap with TDF battalions but those have largely been taken off the line or depleted.)

But yeah I think Ukrainian losses to quite high at this point especially if professionals/reservists have largely been burn though at this point. Arguably, the Ukrainians could still try to shake out more reservists from essential industries but it may actually have a higher political cost versus sending teenagers with no training into a meat grinder.

What exactly is a reservist and a professional in this context? Since Ukraine practices conscription I thought that reservist is someone who did their mandatory conscription something like 15 years ago, so basically most civilian males aged 18-33? A professional however, I thought, would be a contract soldier/career soldier with anything between conscription level to 5 star general in terms of military experience. Your comment however seem to imply that they are more similar and that reservists are not really civilians but part time soldiers or something like national guard in the US, whose members hold civilian jobs but practices military stuff a weekend once a month or something. Is that a correct interpretation?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
i am steven segal

and yes i did poo poo myself when someone chokeholded me

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
so you can say he pooped his pamps?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1635901464559140866

drone piss tape on cbs

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Tankbuster posted:

so you can say he pooped his pamps?

i wasnt wearing pamps

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

ahahaha you get to see the drone covered with piss.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The afghan taliban offered to pay bounties on any American service drones killed by Russia

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

paul_soccer12 posted:

The afghan taliban offered to pay bounties on any American service drones killed by Russia

What goes around is all around, Randy

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

can u even do that in the f35 without dying

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Zudgemud posted:

What exactly is a reservist and a professional in this context? Since Ukraine practices conscription I thought that reservist is someone who did their mandatory conscription something like 15 years ago, so basically most civilian males aged 18-33? A professional however, I thought, would be a contract soldier/career soldier with anything between conscription level to 5 star general in terms of military experience. Your comment however seem to imply that they are more similar and that reservists are not really civilians but part time soldiers or something like national guard in the US, whose members hold civilian jobs but practices military stuff a weekend once a month or something. Is that a correct interpretation?

A portion of reservists were apart from the territorial defense force which was put together before 2022, unlike other reservists who were basically just on a database, they at least showed back up in uniform at some point. While these guys did okay when they were activated in March 2022 as the Russians had too few troops to protect their supply lines, they would take very heavy casualties in May-July 2022 during the first Donbass offensive (of the 2022 conflict). At that point, many units refused to fight and there were some protests in Western Ukraine of TDF battalions being sent east and they have taken much more of a secondary role.

It seems they may have been replaced by a combination of re-active non-TDF reservists who had even less training/experienced, and newly trained Western conscripts (who initially got 3 months of training but that seems to have slide to 1-1.5 months). That they are talking about new recruits having "no military experience" means even that second wave of reservists/conscripts has they have depleted likely as they at least had some training.

We are now on the third wave which is honestly just armed civilians with a couple of weeks to days of training. Ukrainian commanders are complaining because they know civilians are going to take very high casualties in combat and are going to be of marginal usefulness beyond static defense.

Btw, I don't think there isn't anyone left with "zero military experience" in Ukraine but just one way or another a lot of people have left the country and another big chunk are part of some other security force as well as essential industries (or simply not healthy enough to fight). Not all 900,000 reservists are KIA/WIA/MIA, but they are simply unavailable for a wide range of reasons. It seems like a large number but in the reality of the situation it seems like it got sapped.

So when you are talking about Ukrainian casualties there very obvious is a huge gap here that is backed by evidence from the Ukrainian side, this aligns with the fact this has been generally an artillery/crew served weapon system war where the Russians have had a overwhelming advantage including likely training as well at this point. It could very well be that the Ukrainian KIA/WIA is in fact very high at this point though, and the utilization of nearly untrained civilians is only going to accelerate it.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 09:40 on Mar 15, 2023

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Tankbuster posted:

ahahaha you get to see the drone covered with piss.

Nice touch that they made the whole drone yellow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

sounds like good piloting really