Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I love Paul Keating, I'm sorry but he's right most of the time actually.

By that I mean all he comments on is superannuation and foreign policy and I'm yet to disagree with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Lmao at calling Australia the Haunted House of Asia :ghost:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
A spectre is haunting Asia. The spectre of dumb cunts.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Ranter posted:

th...thread title?

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
I feel it's a bit poo poo to lump Labor as the decision makers for subs... they may support it, may not behind closed doors, but this AUKUSward policy technically is a Liberal policy and if we were to renege or walsh on the deal like we did with the French subs we'd be better off financially until we weren't due to souring of relations.

Can you imagine Joe Biden forgetting Albo's name whilst his moist spittle hits a camera man and he then for some reasons hugs a woman just too tightly after calling Australians welchers? I'm here for the hijinx, but a more precarious position couldn't be found even if Penny Wong were to come out and say the USA is a developing nation.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Tbh if there was a time to pivot away from ANZUS and build stronger relationships with our regional trading partners, it was during the 9 years when the Liberals were expressly not doing that thing.

Buying subs is still kinda broke brained, but tbh any military hardware investment we make is tokenistic at best at this point.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Blaming Australia buying submarines for defence "destabilizing" the region is like saying Ukraine provoked Russia by having pro NATO policies. Basically you're full of poo poo and gently caress Chinese imperialism.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

23 Skidoo posted:

I feel it's a bit poo poo to lump Labor as the decision makers for subs... they may support it, may not behind closed doors, but this AUKUSward policy technically is a Liberal policy and if we were to renege or walsh on the deal like we did with the French subs we'd be better off financially until we weren't due to souring of relations.

Can you imagine Joe Biden forgetting Albo's name whilst his moist spittle hits a camera man and he then for some reasons hugs a woman just too tightly after calling Australians welchers? I'm here for the hijinx, but a more precarious position couldn't be found even if Penny Wong were to come out and say the USA is a developing nation.

It's a good point although I do feel part of the reason for AUKUS is that the US/UK subs will not need re-fueling compared to French nuclear subs (which reportedly we could have had) and Labor was very strident on this point of no nuclear processing in Aus. Not 100% sure if that was part of the Lib/Nat government compromise or just made it easier for the Coalition to try and help out their mate Johnson in the UK.

Separately, I find a bit laborious the concern trolling about a few hundred tonnes of nuclear waste in 2050 being even a consideration. Fly ash dams are chock full of more nuclear waste exposed to the elements than ever will come from a mature nuclear industry. The nasty substances that are part and parcel of rare earths ore processing is a reason why all the processing is done in China. That is the price of doing business but a few hundred tonnes of waste in 2050 from a 350 billion dollar killing machine program is a remarkable bogeyman.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Pleasant Friend posted:

Blaming Australia buying submarines for defence "destabilizing" the region is like saying Ukraine provoked Russia by having pro NATO policies. Basically you're full of poo poo and gently caress Chinese imperialism.

Ranter posted:

dumb cunts.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Hmm, yes, the better thing to do is have no military and just be best buds with China, that is surely not the plan of a willful moron. Plus it's cheaper!

Pleasant Friend fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Mar 15, 2023

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

(It was not in fact cheaper when China decides to do a Russia because there was no deterrence.)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Paul Keating weighs in on divisive "Persona 5 Best Waifu" issue.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
if we're going to be US auxiliaries it's a bit poo poo that we have to pay for the equipment, IMO. especially at the expense of every remaining scrap of our welfare state.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Can any other new south welsh people find a voting site on the nsw electoral commission website or does it say there's no election happening?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Pleasant Friend posted:

Hmm, yes, the better thing to do is have no military and just be best buds with China, that is surely not the plan of a willful moron. Plus it's cheaper!

dumb oval office

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Ok ok, maybe we should just weight up which country is more culturally aligned to figure out who is a better international partner.

America - Democratic Capitalists. China - Totalitarian Capatalists
America - World leaders in LGBTQ+ rights, same sex marriage, major ruling party advocates for pro trans rights. China - criminalizes and deters queer activists.
America - Historic promoters of women rights, vice president is female. China - women comprise 8% of leadership positions in Communist Party.
America - disgusting history of racism, imperialism and genocide that people are allowed to call out and many influential people are trying to address. China - Disgusting history of racism, imperialism and genocide and makes you apologize for pointing out their ongoing racism, imperialism and genocide, with government efforts to increase all three categories.
America - You're allowed to criticize the government, you're allowed to make lovely pooping dog toys of the president if you want. China - Go to jail for criticizing the government.

Yes, I see I was wrong, clearly Australia is more aligned with China than I thought!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Oh look it's rapeface, summoned from the peaks of Kunlun.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

For real tho China is good because they buy all our rocks and poo poo and we are rich as gently caress because of them, so we should probably help them out when the time comes to take all the microchips and poo poo.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Pleasant Friend posted:

Ok ok, maybe we should just weight up which country is more culturally aligned to figure out who is a better international partner.

America - Democratic Capitalists. China - Totalitarian Capatalists
America - World leaders in LGBTQ+ rights, same sex marriage, major ruling party advocates for pro trans rights. China - criminalizes and deters queer activists.
America - Historic promoters of women rights, vice president is female. China - women comprise 8% of leadership positions in Communist Party.
America - disgusting history of racism, imperialism and genocide that people are allowed to call out and many influential people are trying to address. China - Disgusting history of racism, imperialism and genocide and makes you apologize for pointing out their ongoing racism, imperialism and genocide, with government efforts to increase all three categories.
America - You're allowed to criticize the government, you're allowed to make lovely pooping dog toys of the president if you want. China - Go to jail for criticizing the government.

Yes, I see I was wrong, clearly Australia is more aligned with China than I thought!

dumb oval office

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

crepeface posted:

dumb oval office

Please offer rebuttal.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

JBP posted:

Please offer rebuttal.

You first

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Its a shame Paul Keating took all that money from the Chinese government as chairman of the state-owned China Development Bank. You see he was just so passionately genuinely pro-China after he left office he *wanted* to advocate for China for *free* but they insisted on giving him a sweet lucrative sinecure and now people unfairly think he's biased.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ranter posted:

You first

Are you his minder? That's sweet and also very necessary.

Pleasant Friend posted:

Its a shame Paul Keating took all that money from the Chinese government as chairman of the state-owned China Development Bank. You see he was just so passionately genuinely pro-China after he left office he *wanted* to advocate for China for *free* but they insisted on giving him a sweet lucrative sinecure and now people unfairly think he's biased.

Pretty sure the dude just loves China.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Hasn't the United States thing lately been backtracking on all the civil right stuff?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
the most salient argument for forming a defensive pact with the us is that if we are scared of being invaded by a belligerent foreign power its statistically more likely to be them than it is china so we might as well lick their boots

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

thatbastardken posted:

if we're going to be US auxiliaries it's a bit poo poo that we have to pay for the equipment, IMO. especially at the expense of every remaining scrap of our welfare state.

America would station subs, bombers, ICBMs, troops, whatever, here in a heartbeat if we asked them to.

They'd probably still make us pay for them though.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

As if we wouldn't offer to pay for them.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Redezga posted:

Hasn't the United States thing lately been backtracking on all the civil right stuff?

Bigly. Astonishingly even.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Can any other new south welsh people find a voting site on the nsw electoral commission website or does it say there's no election happening?

https://elections.nsw.gov.au/elections

Just put your address in and it’ll give you a list/map view of polling places & early voting centres

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
wow how long has it been since IWC showed up here

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

ShoeFly posted:

https://elections.nsw.gov.au/elections

Just put your address in and it’ll give you a list/map view of polling places & early voting centres

oh i had to click on the state district, council and ward were both saying there wasn't an election within 30 days

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

crepeface posted:

dumb oval office

Never have two words contained more truth.

Ranter posted:

Anidav please do the needful. The thread title needs you.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
Keating tearing the SMH a new arsehole over their dogshit propoganga was cathartic. Him dunking on Aukus and Britain for being generally poo poo, only being interested in us funding their weapons dealers was good.

He also disclosed he only took 5k as a formality for being on the chair. Take that what you will.

At least he broke down his reasons for his position, saying we could have 40 odd Colins replacements and having 1/3 out in water in defensive positions would be more beneficial to stop a non existent Chinese invasion than a few subs off China's coast.

Britain and the United States are dog water countries. He was right to poo poo on them.

Maybe we can plug these subs into the grid and drop the price of electricity a bit eh?

Redezga posted:

With gusto

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Paul Keating keeps beating on about "security in Asia" but kind of ignores China's expansion with the South China Sea with is causing major hostility with all the countries in the area against China. Asia isn't some sort of monolithic bloc. I linked this a while ago that explains how Australia's defense posture is thought on a geopolitical scale. Also Paul Keating doesn't speak for all of Asia and the reactions have been mixed about the sub deal from different Asian countries.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Paul Keating was Australia's Tony Blair and stanning for him because he makes some lovely anti-american remarks is this thread showing its full rear end.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
we really should have made new subs called the Holt class

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire

Pleasant Friend posted:

Paul Keating was Australia's Tony Blair and stanning for him because he makes some lovely anti-american remarks is this thread showing its full rear end.

Have you ever though about that china and america everything capitalist suck rear end and all this poo poo is all about cash handout for mates? Keating is right for the wrong reasons for once here but at least he knows a pure turd when he sees one.

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010

Budzilla posted:

Paul Keating keeps beating on about "security in Asia" but kind of ignores China's expansion with the South China Sea with is causing major hostility with all the countries in the area against China. Asia isn't some sort of monolithic bloc. I linked this a while ago that explains how Australia's defense posture is thought on a geopolitical scale. Also Paul Keating doesn't speak for all of Asia and the reactions have been mixed about the sub deal from different Asian countries.

A good read - goes someway to explaining why we have purchased the subs rather than a purely defensive product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Budzilla posted:

China has no expansionist policies whatsoever, these are merely holiday resorts for visiting PLA troops.

-- Paul "Nine-dash" Keating, probably