Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

echinopsis posted:

chick has a hydrasynth in the back!! sick!!

my first thought was, "I want a racked desktop hydra now, and a nice poly aftertouch midi keyboard".

looks so much sleeker than Bigass Keybed :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’ve got the explorer. if they made an explorer with the pads that bad boy would be tiny

the explorer is pretty drat good tho. I had the original, and this was a third the price

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I love the heavy juxtaposition in a lot of SBR's videos. She has this soft, gentle voice, but makes some of the most abrasive and aggressively strange sounds with her instruments.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

Pollyanna posted:

black cat black cat black cat black cat black cat black cat black cat black cat black cat black cat black cat black cat black cat black cat black cat black cat

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://www.roland.com/us/support/by_product/sp-404mk2/updates_drivers/3f027aa7-3e91-4e2c-89cd-7b2eb5cfc116/

Not on the site yet but the 3.0 firmware for the 404mk2 is huge. Bounce pattern to pad looks great.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

petit choux posted:

My latest addition to my studio is a papasan chair to chill out in, and I brought the trumpet upstairs last night and plugged it into MIDIguitar and had some fun with that, though my lips can't handle playing for too long yet. It is really picking up a whole lot of finesse and detailed note information and converting it to MIDI reliably and with very little latency, I was trying just ordinary trills and simple arps on the horn and didn't notice too much lag regardless of the speed (unlike my previous experience with rhythm strumming a six string with MIDIguitar and say, a polysynth lead.)

And it is not just picking up notes, it really is capturing the texture of my playing. I may have come a cross a couple transcription errors so far but they are very far between. Basically I love this thing and I think it's ready for studio use and may be ready for performance though at the moment, right now, knowing as little about it as I do, I'd still stick with the SY-300 if I had to perform with it live. But the SY also can't do MIDI conversion, and this program does with some reliability.

Incidentally, just to clarify I am playing my pocket trumpet with an aluminum wa-wa mute, and I bought one of those little sound reinforcement foam cubes that you put around a mic, put that inside a big insulated pizza delivery bag, and the electric pickup is built into the mouthpiece, from this guy in Australia, and I'm using the preamp/filter that comes with the Yamaha Silent mute but not the mute. Playing into the frickin pizza bag, it is quiet enough I can actually practice without driving the wife insane although it's still a bit early. So I'm sitting here blowing my horn into a pizza bag is what I'm trying to say. In my papasan.

Oh, synthcat:

Anechoic feline supremacy
Powerful purrrrrrr, no reverb

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Felt really happy with this jam.

https://jocko-homomorphism.bandcamp.com/track/unrehearsed-butt

E:

So Math fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 11, 2023

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Spit takes due to Florian's accent in today's bad gear (sounded like a long "thee" "vulva"). I said, pardon?
Oh, "the evolver"

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I've been messing with Flip as I continue to hoard a pile of silver to get a bitbox or similar. It's pretty cool.

Also I straight loving killed my Behringer UMC404HD interface, apparantly by connecting a 5v, 15a rated PSU to an input jack that says 5v, 1000 mAH. I did not think electricity worked that way, in that, I just grabbed whatever 5v USB-ish psu I had (which happened to be a fat one for a light strip) assuming that a 1a device is not going to pull more than 1a and... poof, little smoke cloud :raise:

Gonna pop the fucker apart to see if there happened to be a fuse that melted and might be replacable, but, generally I think I'm gonna be in the market for a new audio interface, and now that I'm using my ipad for more and more things (10", 2019) I would really like an interface that plays nice with an iPad and has at least 2 XLR ins. 4 might be nice but I've never actually needed more than 2, and I'd rather not spend a mint. I'd also rather not buy Behringer poo poo just because that was the list B thing in this room and I don't love them as a company.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I've been messing with Flip as I continue to hoard a pile of silver to get a bitbox or similar. It's pretty cool.

Also I straight loving killed my Behringer UMC404HD interface, apparantly by connecting a 5v, 15a rated PSU to an input jack that says 5v, 1000 mAH. I did not think electricity worked that way, in that, I just grabbed whatever 5v USB-ish psu I had (which happened to be a fat one for a light strip) assuming that a 1a device is not going to pull more than 1a and... poof, little smoke cloud :raise:

Gonna pop the fucker apart to see if there happened to be a fuse that melted and might be replacable, but, generally I think I'm gonna be in the market for a new audio interface, and now that I'm using my ipad for more and more things (10", 2019) I would really like an interface that plays nice with an iPad and has at least 2 XLR ins. 4 might be nice but I've never actually needed more than 2, and I'd rather not spend a mint. I'd also rather not buy Behringer poo poo just because that was the list B thing in this room and I don't love them as a company.

Any USB class-compliant device should work, be it a compact interface like a Focusrite or a mixer like those from Soundcraft/Yamaha/Mackie/etc with either stereo or multichannel USB.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

I'm pretty sure I'm in the right thread for this:

Way back in the day (~20 years ago) some high school friends and I put together an electronic music album using Reason 3 and a basic MIDI keyboard. It was a blast and I'm thinking of getting back into it to make background music for my lovely YouTube home movies.

I think what I'm looking for is a DAW of some sort? Is there a good free (or reasonably cheap) DAW out there that I can hook up with a basic keyboard? It looks like Ableton Live is the sort of thing I'm looking for, but the Intro version looks to be somewhat kneecapped and the $450 price tag for the full version is tough to swallow. Is FL Studio worth considering? I think I used the original FruityLoops back in the day before we started using Reason and I enjoyed it.

Would also appreciate recommendations for a cheap MIDI keyboard to drive the thing with.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Reason's still around and imo better than ever.
FL's still around and definitely better than ever.
Reaper's cheap with an on-launch nag full feature demo making it effectively free.
Not sure what the current darling is for inexpensive boards though. The alesis qmini I've used and enjoyed.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Cakewalk and vcv rack should be thrown out there too. Both free. Yeah, uh I have a novation launchkey mini and think it works fine? Pads, knobs, keys. Onboard arpeggios. Pretty good I guess? It's my first midi controller. I have a korg midi controller with just faders and knobs that I use far more often with vcv rack.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

Thank you for the advice! I really like the look of the Novation controllers, and it looks like they come with Ableton Live Lite. Maybe a good place to start, and I'll test out FL and Cakewalk as alternative DAWs.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Setec_Astronomy posted:

Way back in the day (~20 years ago) some high school friends and I put together an electronic music album using Reason 3 and a basic MIDI keyboard. It was a blast and I'm thinking of getting back into it to make background music for my lovely YouTube home movies.

I think what I'm looking for is a DAW of some sort? Is there a good free (or reasonably cheap) DAW out there that I can hook up with a basic keyboard? It looks like Ableton Live is the sort of thing I'm looking for, but the Intro version looks to be somewhat kneecapped and the $450 price tag for the full version is tough to swallow. Is FL Studio worth considering? I think I used the original FruityLoops back in the day before we started using Reason and I enjoyed it.

Would also appreciate recommendations for a cheap MIDI keyboard to drive the thing with.

If you want to use reason they will let you pay a monthly fee instead of $400 or whatever it is now

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I use Reason+, its really nice to just have all the fun toys. Im looking at moving to Cubase eventually if I manage to get my music career moving in a more productive direction, which seems to be happening.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Comedy option is just get a microfreak. It has midi out and a unique (gestures wildly at every possible other thing you could say about a synth). No banana jack though.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Setec_Astronomy posted:

renoise :v:

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

B33rChiller posted:

Comedy option is just get a microfreak. It has midi out and a unique (gestures wildly at every possible other thing you could say about a synth). No banana jack though.
I like my Microfreak, whats wrong with it?

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

Among the various DAWs mentioned, could I get a super quick rundown of why I would prefer one vs another? Say Reason vs Ableton vs FL vs Cakewalk vs (insert your favorite DAW here)?

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Reason is aimed mainly at hardware people, its why I got it in the first place. It feels a bit more beginner friendly, you just plop things ibto the rack and they autoroute. FL Studio is pretty good too, but its workflow takes some getting used to since its not like any other DAW Ive used.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Setec_Astronomy posted:

Among the various DAWs mentioned, could I get a super quick rundown of why I would prefer one vs another? Say Reason vs Ableton vs FL vs Cakewalk vs (insert your favorite DAW here)?

I only mentioned reason because you said you used it, they all have free trials so just try them all

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you have any Apple computers or iOS things GarageBand is free and good enough.

There's also Reaper if you're a Windows type. "Free" with an increasingly annoying timer but it's also pretty cheap to register.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

xzzy posted:

If you have any Apple computers or iOS things GarageBand is free and good enough.

There's also Reaper if you're a Windows type. "Free" with an increasingly annoying timer but it's also pretty cheap to register.

I used REAPER for years to record courthouse proceedings FWIW and been very pleased with its reliability. And having finally cut ties with court reporting, I find it to be an extremely reliable VST host and recording app, with all its basic functionality easy to access. I've been playing with a wide variety of hardware and plugins and it is pretty solid. For whatever that's worth.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

DreadUnknown posted:

I like my Microfreak, whats wrong with it?
Nothing at all, it's just a whole lot of extra when the request was for a midi controller.
It's actually my go to when I want keyboard control. I'm a touchplate lovin, gimme the weird, kind of guy.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 11, 2023

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I've been using reaper for a while now I tried reason and albelton and bounced off them pretty hard.

As far as a MIDI controller goes if you're using a daw anyways a cheap one that is just a basic keyboard will do since the daw can do more complex things like arpeggios and the like.

I have a basic rear end m-audio one that works fine for plinking and plonking around.
Most of the time if I'm using VCV rack I let the sequencers do the note playing for me and don't even touch the keyboard.
I do also have a native instruments maschine that I use in controller mode to get some hands on control with the knobs and buttons.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

xzzy posted:

If you have a Mac, or are planning to buy one, you can also get Logic for a fraction of what Ableton, et al cost.

Even less if you buy a new computer with Student Discount and add the half price Logic/FCP bundle (I think it’s limited in that you can’t transfer or split it across multiple devices tho. Last I checked the full retail version was perpetual and let you put it on at least 3 machines simultaneously)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

B33rChiller posted:

Nothing at all, it's just a whole lot of extra when the request was for a midi controller.
It's actually my go to when I want keyboard control. I'm a touchplate lovin, gimme the weird, kind of guy.

it’s the cheapest way to fake yourself a Buchla Easel

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Oh yeah fair, I like my Nektar Impact controller a lot and its a fun game to see what Reasob responds to when I twist knobs.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Whelp! My MOTU 828 mk2 can no longer be found by my Mac. I think it happened after a GarageBand update, which sucks because I don’t even use GarageBand. :stonk:

It was working fine just the other day, now today it’s gone. Everything looks normal on the front panel, it’s just not interfacing with the computer. OTOH, the two mic preamp inputs are shot so maybe the FW is dead, too. A FW HD I have daisy chained through it seems to work though, so probably software poo poo. :argh:

Edit: My FW HD was not connected via the 828 mk2, so I just switched the FW cable from one port on the 828 mk2 to the other (it has two) and now it works. :doh:

Now I've switched it back and magically the original port is working again. :wtf:

Rod Hoofhearted fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 12, 2023

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuYzX9u4Ms0

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Anyone know how the bassline that comes in around 0:16 was made? It's got this growly/rumbly quality to it and I can't quite get that from pitching the oscillator down or putting a low ring mod on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khzu1YDkOzQ

:eyepop: im gonna need that

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Moving all the music junk into what was a storage room.
Including moving the hammond organ (not a cool tube powered one)out of our den into this room too.
I have this half of a road case that I don't have the other part of so it's going to be the new studio desk.
Cut the front portion out and retrimming it with the aluminum channel.

I'm going to put the midi controller keyboard on a drawer that slides out.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

It looks deceptively simple, but hot dang I can tell it do fun things.
https://reverb.com/p/octave-cat
Wooooo boy not the worst price I've seen for a vintage synth.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I don’t feel particularly bad that there’s a Behringer CAT doing the job for $350

not like it’s taking revenue away from the original company

plus it’s eurorack

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

DreadUnknown posted:

It looks deceptively simple, but hot dang I can tell it do fun things.
https://reverb.com/p/octave-cat
Wooooo boy not the worst price I've seen for a vintage synth.

it has a pretty fun cross modulation setup between its oscillators and i think could do two note paraphony as well. punches well above its weight

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Pollyanna posted:

Anyone know how the bassline that comes in around 0:16 was made? It's got this growly/rumbly quality to it and I can't quite get that from pitching the oscillator down or putting a low ring mod on it.

if i were to guess it’s just a layered sub but i’m not sure i entirely know what you’re referring to

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I was listening to some strange robo toots and laser fights in a cave. Thought I would check out a bit more about the artist, and found this on his twitter. https://twitter.com/RichardDevine/status/1631876151265173504?cxt=HHwWgIC9mdWty6UtAAAA

Figure some posters in here would like the pic

ETA:
This popped up on youtube for me. Looks really interesting, but unfortunately just a yet to launch kickstarter.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Mar 15, 2023

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
I know it looks like a kids toy but I kind of want this thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAmw-TTG2Ds
Not a bad sound either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Pollyanna posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khzu1YDkOzQ

sounds like a pretty simple slightly detuned saw wave with a bit of envelope filter on a lpf, and both the attack and filter envelopes with a bit of decay and or release, with a bit of slow lfo on the pitch.