Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

quote:

@Kenning

I've had the stomach flu, and totally missed the start of the basho / fantasy sign ups.

Congrats on the wedding! I'm not intai forever, but I'll bow out for this basho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

It seems like my past few bashos has just been refining getting the worst score possible.

Off to a roaring start with 3 points.

Maybe next time I'll try terrible picks on purpose.

Eli949
Oct 23, 2008
Aside from mandatory Takakeisho, my team is either 3-0 or 0-3. Right down the middle!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

How can I learn more about SHODAI?

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I've had the stomach flu, and totally missed the start of the basho / fantasy sign ups.

Congrats on the wedding! I'm not intai forever, but I'll bow out for this basho.

If you missed the beginning of the fantasy signups I believe you can get in late, you just don't get the points for the first few days.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Ice Phisherman posted:

If you missed the beginning of the fantasy signups I believe you can get in late, you just don't get the points for the first few days.

Some people aren't getting points for those days and did get in in time :(.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Average Lettuce posted:

Starting to regret picking Oho, he does not look up for it.

This is me with Bushozan. I picked the wrong debutante. And the one time I don't pick Ura he's off to a roaring start.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Nativity In Black posted:

This is me with Bushozan. I picked the wrong debutante. And the one time I don't pick Ura he's off to a roaring start.

I still believe in Bushozan, I think he's still gonna run through all the middling older folks around his rank, Takarafuji, Kagayaki, Azumaryu, Myogiryu, Chiyoshoma, etc.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Some people aren't getting points for those days and did get in in time :(.

Wait are you saying that Kenning missed you/someone else or just the guys you picked aren't winning?

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

riderchop posted:

day 2 abi v hoshoryu that pissed me off, they should have done a rematch, justice for hoshoryu
I'm the thread's #1 Abi Enjoyer so I'm biased but I really don't see it. Abi was still raising his leg off the tawara when Hoshoryu hit, didn't seem particularly close in the replay.

Wakatakakage not looking great. He always seems to have a rough start but this looks rougher than normal. I'm considering cutting him from Tiny Bug Beya if he loses tomorrow... but he's up against Shodai, so that's probably not going to be a reliable indicator of anything either way.

Poignant moment from Day 2 when Terutsuyoshi got hoisted up from makushita to fight Tokushoryu, so he got to throw salt again. He went with a respectfully juryo-sized amount:

He lost via failed henka and is currently 0-2. Might be the last salt he ever throws in the ring.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Brut posted:

Wait are you saying that Kenning missed you/someone else or just the guys you picked aren't winning?

My guys are doing sumo bad.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
Man I hadn't really appreciated how nuts Tamawashi's longevity is until I was watching a Natto video just now and saw he's been in one hundred and fourteen basho to date. In January he'll hit 20 years of competition at age 39 and he's still never missed a match, and he's still competing in high Makuuchi. Just unbelievable resilience.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Nessus posted:

Watch his Ozeki run and then his last three Bashos, it's concentrated Shodai.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Nessus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2s6i_PtOSo

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Nessus posted:

Trying to learn about Shodai seems a very un-Shodai thing to do.

The Shodai that can be described is not the eternal Shodai.

Or at least, remember to warm up first.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I was hoping to post Day 2 results yesterday, but as I was looking to finish the spreadsheet I realized I needed to do the goonzuke to find out who was in what division, so we got delayed. Goonzuke post, then Day 3 results incoming.

Bentai posted:

I've racked up a whole 6 points in 3 days, and I don't think my big losers are gonna gambarize anytime soon.

*edit*
I'd like to trade Hokutofuji for either Ura, Nishikifuji, or Takayasu if possible.

anakha posted:

Kenning, requesting to trade Oho for Takanosho. Thanks.

Both registered for Day 4. Also, I'm trading Ichiyamamoto for Nishikifuji.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

code:
		    Haru 2023	

SA Goonzuke	

Ozeki	
Tiny Bug Child		1	Thauros
Banana Canada		2	anakha
Skjorte			3	

Sekiwake	
Eli949			1	Ice Phisherman
Kenning			2	Khizan

Komusubi	
Netsky			1	pseuodragon
MyChemicalImbalance	2	GoatSeeGuy

Maegashira	
NuclearPotato		1	MalarkeyToboggan
captainblastum		2	Mode 7
Vargatron		3	Everyones Favorite Poster
Charles Gnarwin		4	Tochiazuma
Marching Powder		5	scripterror
Kuros			6	Fluffdaddy
Pakled			7	Crusty Nutsack
Communist Thoughts	8	Jobbo_Fett
Iron Chef Nex		9	Teddybear
bartolimu		10	Saturnine Aberrance
Biosys			11	Akiosan
jmzero			12	Liquid Communism
Flinger			13	sivad
Helianthus Annuus	14	LlamaTrauma
ratmosphere		15	

Juryo	

ilmucche		1	do it on my face
Ben Nerevarine		2	whats for dinner
Bentai			3	Robviously
Chinook			4	Takuan
Neodoomium		5	bessantj
rare Magic card l00k	6	Samuel L. Hacksaw
Average Lettuce		7	Eldoop
Brut			8	ImplicitAssembler
S.W.O.R.D. Agent	9	Xerzes
QuasiQuack		10	oldskool
Lid	11		PJ
Dead Goon		12	Gaghskull
Boogalo			13	ullerrm
Nativity In Black	14	Log082
Beexoffel		15	John McClane
Elissimpark		16	Spokes
Winter Stormer		17	Single Tight Female
Maigius			18	riderchop
Enfys			19	KungfuGrip
Mekchu			20	Lexorin
New goonzuke! Now we can finally get down to brass tacks this basho.

To start with, 3 ozeki got losing records last basho, and are now kadoban. Banana Canada, anakha, and Skjorte all need winning records in March to preserve their rank. Neither of the former ozeki who had dropped to sekiwake managed a winning record, and therefore neither could get the automatic re-promotion. In terms of moving up rather than down, Eli949 and Ice Phisherman are arguably both on weak ozeki runs, and a killer score from either could seal the deal.

The san'yaku ranks have thinned by just a hair, but realistically there's nothing all that notable either there or in most of the maegashira, save that yusho winner Khizan has earned a hefty jump up to sekiwake. In terms of the makuuchi/juryo exchange, ilmucche, Chinook, Neodoomium, Brut, bessantj, and Takuan (who was kyujo) are all dropping to the second division, while Saturnine Aberrance, Helianthus Annuus, Biosys, Akiosan, LlamaTrauma, and ratmosphere have all made it to the top division. Juryo yusho winner Robviously is at J3w, and in good position for a run at the top division.

Now that the goonzuke is up, we'll get to standings in the next post.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Day 3 standings:

Makuuchi
code:
12	NuclearPotato
11	Akiosan
11	Everyones Favorite Poster
11	Iron Chef Nex
11	MyChemicalImbalance
10	Banana Canada
10	GoatSeeGuy
10	LlamaTrauma
10	Marching Powder
10	Saturnine Aberrance
10	Teddybear
9	anakha
9	Ice Phisherman
9	Mode 7
9	sivad
9	Thauros
9	Tiny Bug Child
8	Eli949
8	Jobbo_Fett
8	Kenning
8	Kuros
8	MalarkeyToboggan
8	Pakled
8	pseudodragon
8	scripterror
8	Vargatron
7	captainblastum
7	Helianthus Annuus
7	Khizan
7	ratmosphere
6	bartolimu
6	Charles Gnarwin
6	Fluffdaddy
6	Tochiazuma
5	Crusty Nutsack
5	Netsky
4	Flinger
3	Communist Thoughts
3	Liquid Communism
Juryo
code:
14	Beexoffel
13	riderchop
12	Ben Nerevarine
12	Gaghskull
11	Lid
10	PJ
10	rare Magic card l00k
10	Robviously
9	Brut
9	do it on my face
9	Elissimpark
9	Fearless
9	ullerrm
9	whats for dinner
8	bessantj
8	Log082
8	QuasiQuack
8	Single Tight Female
7	Chinook
7	ImplicitAssembler
7	Nativity In Black
7	Pvt. Public
6	Average Lettuce
6	Bentai
6	Eldoop
6	Samuel L. Hacksaw
6	Xerzes
5	Dead Goon
5	oldskool
3	Boogalo

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Someone in the audience tonight gave a powerful "SHODAI" when he came out. Which of you was it?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Archenteron posted:

Someone in the audience tonight gave a powerful "SHODAI" when he came out. Which of you was it?

It was all of us.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 4: I might be calling it too early, but i feel like Keisho's yoko run is toast. That heavily-taped ankle plus his losses so far make me feel a kyujo is coming.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

anakha posted:

Day 4: I might be calling it too early, but i feel like Keisho's yoko run is toast. That heavily-taped ankle plus his losses so far make me feel a kyujo is coming.

Balloonslowlydeflating.gif

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Brut posted:

I still believe in Bushozan, I think he's still gonna run through all the middling older folks around his rank, Takarafuji, Kagayaki, Azumaryu, Myogiryu, Chiyoshoma, etc.

lmao this is gonna age really poorly huh

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My main man Hokutofuji looking like poo poo this basho, getting walked out by Midorifuji is not where you want to be at :/

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

ok i'm used to a slow start from him but his form looks way off. kenning, i'd like to trade Wakatakakage for Kirabayama, Wakamotoharu or Tobizaru in order of preference. wakatakakage fans can thank me when he proceeds to rattle off a bunch of wins from this point forward

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
lol, my poor team. What I Bellerive is happening with Ichiyamamoto and Wakatakakage this basho: I think WTK is recovering from a broken/ bruised rib, and he's trying not to aggravate it by getting in close. Then i took a calculated risk on Ichiyamamoto performing well in mid-maegashira and that's not paying off.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

@Kenning please could I trade Wakatakakage for either of my other picks in that bracket (Daieisho or Hoshoryu, preferably Daieisho)

Thank you.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

on the brighter side with my team glad that my second choince shin-makuuchi pick of kinbozan's ia also doing well as i missed out on hokuseiho

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Requesting a trade of Kotoshoho for Midorifuji or Abi in that order.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

anakha posted:

Yup.

Also, Shodai will get to Yokozuna first no don't ask me to explain it

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

SHODAI

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

net work error posted:

Yup.

Also, Shodai will get to Yokozuna first no don't ask me to explain it

Shodai will put together an impressive Yokozuna run, than immediately go 1-14 next basho after promotion before retiring.

Day 4: Takakeisho's Yokozuna run is over. The knee injury has, unfortunately, sealed it, I think. I'm sure he'll try to keep pushing, but hopefully he'll be sensible enough to at least go kyujo after another loss.

Also, Shodai out-muscling Waka was not something I expected even from Chaos Shodai.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

if there's somebody you really want to lose a bunch in May (while conceding the 20% chance they instead do really well), let me know & i'll pick them, because that's how my selection process has turned out every basho so far.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

i've decided that i've not watched enough to know enough to make a good draft thing, but i am enjoying my new awakening to sumo and greatly appreciate my more knowledgeable friend for being so excited to share all sumo secrets with me.

i am a low rank gyoji!! i don't even have socks!! i can't even touch the dohyo because i'm a woman!! but i do like seeing those men do wrestling things.

maybe tonight i'll be able to watch more again...if not, then friday for sure. :( been too busy this week even for VODs!

edit: i have learned SHODAI

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

my cat is norris posted:

edit: i have learned SHODAI

welcome

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Non-kyujo trades are for cowards.

Live view of me every basho:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-fWDrZSiZs

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Charles Gnarwin posted:

:hai:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Charles Gnarwin posted:

trades are for cowards.

:hmmyes:

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Charles Gnarwin posted:

:hai:
:hmmyes:

Continuing my meteoric descent from fantasy sanyaku to fantasy juryo. But let none question my commitment to my stable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
You see these numbers? This is what happens without Tochinoshin.