Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Private Speech posted:

I don't even know how that meme came about.

Very spooky imo.

Folk nowadays have a very low tolerance for mystery. Many feel out of control and want to apply a familiar framework over everything so they don't have to worry about it. There are religious and secular versions.

Personally I try to be comfortable with not having everything figured out and on good days I am.

I would be even more content if we could look to sort out the poo poo we do have figured out. Like climate change and fascism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Scientastic posted:

This is a bad example, because the existence of thunder fits with everything else we know about science. The existence of ghosts would mean vast swathes of physics and biology were not only wrong, but so wrong as to mean our models for how everything else works were wrong too.

How exactly would this disprove anything we know about biology or physics? Figuring out the mechanism would /add/ to the sum of our knowledge but wouldn’t necessarily disprove anything. It depends what model you’re thinking of.

Mega Comrade posted:

You have a creaky house dude. I've got one too. Knocking sounds when the heating comes on in the morning, it's the wood expanding.
My sister was adamant we had a ghost at my old nans house! Until my dad fixed a tiny hole in the roof that the wind was coming into, then the ghost left by pure coincidence.

And the five foot seven ‘shadow’ of a man cast on thin air, seen by myself and others? Furthermore I know what a house settling or expanding sounds like- I also know what heavy booted footsteps sound like. They ain’t the same.

Aphex- posted:

People want to make themselves more interesting than they are so they say they've seen a ghost.

I can be rude too, if that’s the way you want to play it? Seriously, this is just ignorant as well as insulting.

kemikalkadet posted:

(Cool story snipped)
I didn't, and still don't, believe in ghosts but that was the most hosed up terrifying thing that's ever happened to me. I don't really have any idea what a rational explanation for it would be.

So what you’re describing here is pretty much a prototypical haunting experience, that terrified you and you have no rational explanation for. Without knowing the particulars of the location or its history I can’t say more, but literally going through something like that and then saying you don’t believe that other people have experienced similar just seems wrong on an intellectual level. What makes your experience real while others aren’t?

(For the record one of the first times I experienced anything at my place it took a very similar form to what you described- heavy footsteps stomping around upstairs and up and down the stairs off and on for a period of over an hour. My brother and I (12 and 10 at the time) were home alone and so freaked out we broke open the gun cabinet and searched through the house with loaded air rifles- dead silence while we checked the place, then the footsteps started up again once we were back downstairs.)

Kin posted:

You'll never hear of a "ghost" of some loving viking or French soldier or whoever the gently caress from less popular or unknown points in history because people are ignorant of that information and don't subsequently personify the odd mix of physics they've just seen to those things.

Extremely untrue. There are reports of ghosts from basically every era imaginable- as an example the main one at our house is apparently related to a manservant from the 1820s in rural northern France; not exactly a super interesting place or time. I could point you to stories of hauntings from pretty much any time you could name, and that’s bearing in mind that those cases that make it into literature/the public domain are a tiny tiny fraction of the total.

OwlFancier posted:

If you have the concept of ghosts in your head, your mind then has "ghost" as an explanation available to it to explain physical events in the world, or experiences which are in your head, and our minds are very good at coming up with frequently untrue but compelling explanations for things we experience based on our pre-existing conceptions of the world, whether we actively subscribe to them or not.

Given that the mind is even capable of generating things entirely based off of pre-existing concepts available to it, I think the idea of ghosts is the reason people see them, not the other way around.

This is a valid point to a degree- you interpret what you see/experience through the model that your mind operates under. So for example let’s take the same occurrence and look at it in different ways- we’ll use Kemikalkadet’s story for ease of reference.

From what’s described in their text it sounds like an absolutely standard auditory haunting to me; were I investigating or present there at the time I’d attempt to eliminate the presence of other people, check the surrounding area for things that might make noises as described, observe at different times to see if the noises (in particular the voices) were noise pollution from elsewhere etc and then once those were eliminated class it as above- an auditory haunting apparition. Effectively a naturally occurring recording. That’s the model I operate under. Someone else might decide it’s the walking spirits or souls of the dead. Someone else might decide it’s God. Or Angels. Or Satan. Or a fold in the space time continuum/a time slip. Or carbon monoxide induced hallucinations.

Basically what you have is a reported unexplainable experience and assuming good faith on the part of the reporter then one needs to eliminate other possible explanations before deciding ‘yes, this is real’. By their own report they could not find any plausible cause for what they experienced, which also terrified them. But because they are operating under the model that ‘ghosts cannot exist’ then they refuse to accept that as an option- but then are left without any possible way to explain what they objectively experienced.

For me, when a set of phenomena occurs which matches a pre-existing model and there appears to be no way to explain what happened outside of said model, then denying its existence due to not matching your worldview is a short sighted approach. Yes, the mechanisms of hauntings are not understood scientifically- my entire point is that they will eventually be. When an effect is observed then there is a cause to it whether we understand it or not. Just as someone from before the development of atomic theory would be mystified as to why a piece of uranium was warm to the touch, or ancient people declared that thunder was Thor’s anvil, or gods shouting at each other or whatever- they may have been ignorant or incorrect but that doesn’t remove the reality of the observed phenomena or the presence of a cause for it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's Noel Edmonds wanking in the bushes.

That's what he really uses his Norman Vincent Peale mental powers for.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

keep punching joe posted:

That ghost looks like he's going taps aff.

loving lol voted 5.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Turns out the building back better they planned to do was making immigrant concentration camps.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

quote:

LABOUR WILL STOP THE HAUNTINGS

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There is a spectre haunting Europe :ghost:

Puntification posted:

Turns out the building back better they planned to do was making immigrant concentration camps.
https://twitter.com/SloaneFragment/status/1633537305318154255

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1635896299487674371

It's good that the BBC is so totally captured but this didn't affect their coverage of Jeremy Corbyn.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Camrath posted:

For me, when a set of phenomena occurs which matches a pre-existing model and there appears to be no way to explain what happened outside of said model, then denying its existence due to not matching your worldview is a short sighted approach. Yes, the mechanisms of hauntings are not understood scientifically- my entire point is that they will eventually be.

They are very well understood, though. We know that human cognition is very good at some tasks and terrible at others, to the point that we developed a bunch of standards and equipment to do repeatable, controlled measurement for us at levels beyond our capabilities to observe and analyze and we have not been able to find evidence for those phenomena.

This isn't pejorative, but trusting the one set of observations we know to be faulty over all the others is just not sensible if we are looking for answers. "why can't all these good calibrated microscopes see what my hosed camera clearly shows" isn't useful enquiry to anybody. "Why and how does the brain do what it does under so many conditions" now that is somewhere where we have a bunch of uncharted land to cover.

And I know it sounds a bit science brain so let me finish by saying that I know, we are way more than just biological machines for capturing data. The fact that we're so fallible isn't a bad thing it's what make us what we are and it's beautiful. The fact that we care about loss, that millions of people across cultures have found ways of talking about what we're honestly experiencing and relating it back to people we've loved, people other people should've loved, means something. Acknowledging our imperfections is a great way to start being kinder to each other and working to mutual benefit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Camrath posted:

This is a valid point to a degree- you interpret what you see/experience through the model that your mind operates under. So for example let’s take the same occurrence and look at it in different ways- we’ll use Kemikalkadet’s story for ease of reference.

From what’s described in their text it sounds like an absolutely standard auditory haunting to me; were I investigating or present there at the time I’d attempt to eliminate the presence of other people, check the surrounding area for things that might make noises as described, observe at different times to see if the noises (in particular the voices) were noise pollution from elsewhere etc and then once those were eliminated class it as above- an auditory haunting apparition. Effectively a naturally occurring recording. That’s the model I operate under. Someone else might decide it’s the walking spirits or souls of the dead. Someone else might decide it’s God. Or Angels. Or Satan. Or a fold in the space time continuum/a time slip. Or carbon monoxide induced hallucinations.

Basically what you have is a reported unexplainable experience and assuming good faith on the part of the reporter then one needs to eliminate other possible explanations before deciding ‘yes, this is real’. By their own report they could not find any plausible cause for what they experienced, which also terrified them. But because they are operating under the model that ‘ghosts cannot exist’ then they refuse to accept that as an option- but then are left without any possible way to explain what they objectively experienced.

For me, when a set of phenomena occurs which matches a pre-existing model and there appears to be no way to explain what happened outside of said model, then denying its existence due to not matching your worldview is a short sighted approach. Yes, the mechanisms of hauntings are not understood scientifically- my entire point is that they will eventually be. When an effect is observed then there is a cause to it whether we understand it or not. Just as someone from before the development of atomic theory would be mystified as to why a piece of uranium was warm to the touch, or ancient people declared that thunder was Thor’s anvil, or gods shouting at each other or whatever- they may have been ignorant or incorrect but that doesn’t remove the reality of the observed phenomena or the presence of a cause for it.

I would personally suggest that if you hear a noise and first jump to "it's the police" or otherwise assigning a human source to it, all subsequent experiences are going to be then understood through that explanation, which can also cause you to fold them to fit the narrative or entirely fabricate them in a state of heightened emotion. And this is if anything, only exacerbated when in groups, panic spreads and people very easily take cues from each other. I assume it's some sort of weird herd behaviour such as what makes birds take off in giant flocks at the slightest provocation.

So, what could have been an animal running around in an abandoned, silent building with weird acoustics, then becomes a multi-layered experience which leads you to the conclusion of it being a ghost. Or a ghost-shaped lack of explanation, at least.

The initial idea of the cause is not ghosts, of course, it's people. We all believe people exist. But when people aren't found after the fact but the experience has been so firmly cemented via pattern-seeking into being representative of people, we are left with the idea of it being invisible people, or people who can disappear into thin air. Which is to say, ghosts.

And I don't think this is weak mindedness or anything, I think this is how everybody works. I was going out one day and was unlocking the door when I caught something out of the corner of my eye, and in the moment when I was startled, somehow got the distinct impression of an old man in khaki trousers standing behind me and to my left. Of course there was no such man and your peripheral vision is literally there to process incoherent, subconscious information into threats, but nonetheless my mother was apparently terrified when I told her about it. I really think our brains just make things up most of the time. I had a great grandfather who was a small old man in khaki trousers a lot of the time so the concept is hardly foreign to me. Some people might ascribe meaning to that particular image appearing to me as well, but I don't really give it any more thought than I do the specifics of nightmares. My brain is capable of making up all sorts of things. Often it's considered a feature in the form of creativity, and we are also used to not being able to control it when we sleep. It doesn't seem far fetched to believe that it just does that sometimes occasionally, at inopportune times.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Mar 15, 2023

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Jeremy Corbyn would probably have wanted to nationalise ghosts that poo poo that he is.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

High Speed Ghostband

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Isomermaid posted:

They are very well understood, though. We know that human cognition is very good at some tasks and terrible at others, to the point that we developed a bunch of standards and equipment to do repeatable, controlled measurement for us at levels beyond our capabilities to observe and analyze and we have not been able to find evidence for those phenomena.

This isn't pejorative, but trusting the one set of observations we know to be faulty over all the others is just not sensible if we are looking for answers. "why can't all these good calibrated microscopes see what my hosed camera clearly shows" isn't useful enquiry to anybody. "Why and how does the brain do what it does under so many conditions" now that is somewhere where we have a bunch of uncharted land to cover.

And I know it sounds a bit science brain so let me finish by saying that I know, we are way more than just biological machines for capturing data. The fact that we're so fallible isn't a bad thing it's what make us what we are and it's beautiful. The fact that we care about loss, that millions of people across cultures have found ways of talking about what we're honestly experiencing and relating it back to people we've loved, people other people should've loved, means something. Acknowledging our imperfections is a great way to start being kinder to each other and working to mutual benefit.

So what are these repeatable, controllable measurements to investigate hauntings? What evidence are they looking for? I’m pretty well read on the subject of ghosts (not as much as some- I only have one set of bookshelves on the subject) and while to my knowledge there’s been studies conducted around infrasound as a possible cause, about the effects of air quality and such like, and while each explained certain subjective experiences (infrasound producing feelings of dread/‘being watched’ for example), there’s no holistic work that has produced solid disproof for all reported types of phenomena.

As I’ve said repeatedly, I think this is more down to not knowing what ‘questions’ to ask in a research sense. As in, if what you’re looking to study has a mechanism outside of the model you’re approaching it with, then by definition you’re going down a false path.

Unfortunately given what seems to be the most common cause for creations of hauntings (extreme distress, violent or sudden death, other forms of extremely intense emotional experience) there’s no way to ethically attempt to recreate said causes experimentally. However it is a point of interest that for example battlefields, prisons, hospitals and (though this particular one feels super-uneasy to even mention) concentration camps all appear haunted to a much greater frequency than other places. However again we’re not talking about controlled conditions here.

Come to think of it there’s probably a good horror story to be written about some mad parapsychologist attempting to create ghosts under lab conditions.

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

Camrath posted:

Come to think of it there’s probably a good horror story to be written about some mad parapsychologist attempting to create ghosts under lab conditions.

If you haven't seen/read it yet, I can recommend Lockwood and Co

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like the fact that people expect to find ghosts in historically significant places where terrible things happened, precisely because we have the idea that ghosts are a product of traumatic experiences in life or death, is probably why people experience ghosts in those places. They are primed to do that, there are hundreds of years of stories and media priming people to experience that, in much the same way that UFO sightings drastically increased in places where UFOs were a pop culture phenomenon.

I really think the phenomenon that all of this is evidence for is just that our perceptions are influenced an awful lot by the ideas already in our head, far more than we might like to think, and we just aren't aware of that most of the time because most of the time our preconceptions align sufficiently well with reality and go sufficiently unchallenged that it just doesn't come up.

But in a lot of instances when human perception comes under the slightest empriical scrutiny it is found to be atrocious, such as eyewitness accounts in legal proceedings compared with documented evidence. Why should it be different with the supernatural?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Mar 15, 2023

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Camrath posted:

there’s no holistic work that has produced solid disproof for all reported types of phenomena.

That's not how the burden of proof works. If you believe in ghosts you need to provide evidence that supports that claim. There is still no evidence that ghosts exist except anecdotal and eyewitness, both don't hold up to scrutiny I'm afraid.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I did like that long story that started "We smoked a lot of weed in an abandoned building..." that became "...a ghost!". I'm not sure if I want to know if that poster was being genuine or not. Strong shades of a story my sister tells me about a ghost that caused her to fall down the stairs when she was extremely pissed

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I think that for sure there are things beyond our current perception and understanding, maybe ghosts do exist in some form, but i'm pretty sure if they did they wouldn't actually resemble the shapes we've projected onto them.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I died ten years ago and have been posting from beyond the grave. Boo!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I assume it's some sort of weird herd behaviour such as what makes birds take off in giant flocks at the slightest provocation.
What's interesting to me is what happens when this goes badly wrong. Because that can easily cause badness well beyond the paranormal.

Like with

kemikalkadet posted:

When I was around 17 we used to go to a huge abandoned building on the edge of town to smoke weed.
then being hypervigilant about

kemikalkadet posted:

Our first thought was that police were raiding the place and we were both bricking it.
is an understandable fear. Not a fear that people should have to have just for smoking some weed, but one that could easily in the current environment lead to spectral police.

Historically it has gone in far worse directions, like when everyone assumed that Jews were just 'up to something', or the time in much of Europe when the judiciary seemed to take leave of their senses for a century and start believing in witchcraft (while apparently many were privately skeptical in their own notes). Or the time shortly afterwards when the judges stopped and the public stepped in to replace it with mob violence. That's like a centuries long murmuration on a similar theme that escalated beyond individual reason rapidly.

Or on that note like lynchings in the American South or Barrow-in-Furness inventing an entire grooming gang to smash up some Asians.

That's not the fault of any given individual seeing any given legless sausage dogs (those things are common enough that there's a movement to end schizophrenia as a diagnosis because it's stigmatizing and not useful, people pattern match stuff all the time), but it is a human herd phenomenon that apparently sometimes just can't stop itself from becoming terrible.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We have the horrible future to look forward to quite soon when computer image generation becomes so prolific and competent, that we come out the other side of the brief window of historical time when the concept of "documentable proof" was both widely available and credible.

Guavanaut posted:

What's interesting to me is what happens when this goes badly wrong. Because that can easily cause badness well beyond the paranormal.

Like with

then being hypervigilant about

is an understandable fear. Not a fear that people should have to have just for smoking some weed, but one that could easily in the current environment lead to spectral police.

Historically it has gone in far worse directions, like when everyone assumed that Jews were just 'up to something', or the time in much of Europe when the judiciary seemed to take leave of their senses for a century and start believing in witchcraft (while apparently many were privately skeptical in their own notes). Or the time shortly afterwards when the judges stopped and the public stepped in to replace it with mob violence. That's like a centuries long murmuration on a similar theme that escalated beyond individual reason rapidly.

Or on that note like lynchings in the American South or Barrow-in-Furness inventing an entire grooming gang to smash up some Asians.

That's not the fault of any given individual seeing any given legless sausage dogs (those things are common enough that there's a movement to end schizophrenia as a diagnosis because it's stigmatizing and not useful, people pattern match stuff all the time), but it is a human herd phenomenon that apparently sometimes just can't stop itself from becoming terrible.

Yeah, social panic is just as (or even more) real as personal or interpersonal panic. Very excited for the collapse of an even larger swathe of the concept of verifiable reality combined with the utter lack of social development necessary for people to deal with even the current world we live in.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Mar 15, 2023

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Havana Syndrome has been the most interesting recent mass psychogenic delusion. It was so clearly fake from the start yet the US media ate it up uncritically. But what was really going on? Sublimated guilt, work stress, alcoholism, paranoia, depression are all partially explanatory theories

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I feel I have to weigh in on this.

Ghosts aren't real.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Having a bookshelf of books about ghosts probably predisposes you to being credulous about spooky things. Though obviously it works in both directions

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Ghosts are quite simply none of our business and looking too hard for them is clearly asking for trouble.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Having a bookshelf of books about ghosts probably predisposes you to being credulous about spooky things. Though obviously it works in both directions

Perhaps ghosts are simply attracted to books about ghosts.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Perhaps ghosts are simply attracted to books about ghosts.

Many ghosts have been trapped inside books but they occasionally escape

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
That said last night I read a few papers that take a look at hauntings and it was pretty interesting. This seems like a decent review to get started with, although it goes a bit weird at the end bringing the Matrix into it for no good reason I can see.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
A ghost bookshelf would still be much less spooky than someone owning a single copy of One Boy, Two Bills and a Fry Up: A Memoir of Growing Up and Getting On by Wes Streeting

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Rational me: Ghosts aren't real

Also me: Oh a 60 minute youtube compilation with spooky encounters during urban exploration sure I'll click that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ghosts may not be real but influencers are and watching them poo poo themselves in terror is a form of praxis.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Pablo Bluth posted:

As a child I once read a book about 'real cases of ghosts' in a Scottish B&B and it hosed up my sleep for weeks.
A friend of mine had a Ripley's Believe It Or Not book (the main image on the front was a guy with two pupils in each eye), and there was an illustrated story about a woman who kept being bitten to the point of drawing blood by a ghost that only she could see - helpfully drawn by the artist to look as scary and bitey as possible - that terrified kid me.

But then I was terrified by pretty much everything even vaguely paranormal at that age, which probably contributed to my anxiety levels now.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I will gently caress a ghost

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

A ghost bookshelf would still be much less spooky than someone owning a single copy of One Boy, Two Bills and a Fry Up: A Memoir of Growing Up and Getting On by Wes Streeting
I'd believe that someone with a whole bookshelf of The Skull Shapes of Man by Saxon Fury Press was a widely read antifascist researcher before I'd believe anything good about someone with that book.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

keep punching joe posted:

Rational me: Ghosts aren't real

Also me: Oh a 60 minute youtube compilation with spooky encounters during urban exploration sure I'll click that.

Oh, that's a really easy rabbit hole to fall down. On average, maybe every two months or so I'll lose an entire day to those compilations. Admittedly, some of the explorers are better at staging stuff than others.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Cum ahead if you think you're hard enough

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I bet you will Ray Stantz

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
On the topic of ghosts, this is a great video about a paranormal home inspection show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wG9m-eYNiM

Has a psychic who comes up with all the spooky explanations about kids being murdered under a freeway five blocks away from the house they're haunting, and a regular rear end home inspector guy who's like, "Yeah, they didn't install this door correctly."

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Arthur C. Clarke's Mysterious World was dry and serious sounding enough that it scared the poo poo out of me when I was young. Serious concerns I was going to catch the stigmata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

In my early twenties I joined a ghost hunting group in Newport for a short time, I did this for the same reason I did a lot of things there was a woman in the group I really fancied. However, it was a really interesting experience, the guy who ran it was a physics teacher and was trying his best to make our "investigations" as scientific as possible. While we never did see a ghost or find any evidence of one I learned a lot about the history of various places in Newport which was very interesting. If you get a chance to do an investigation I recommend it, they're quite an experience.