Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
At least they have made leaving the wankpod and driving your chariot much faster

https://v.redd.it/l30a4n9jzpna1/DASH_1080.mp4?source=fallback.gif

trucutru fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Mar 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

commando in tophat posted:

The funniest thing about blacking out was that if a commando stands next to pilot, there is no effect on him. Unless they've added proper forces on poo poo inside of ship, but it is CIG, so I assume no

Consistently simulating the physics of ship movement on players is severely lower on priority compared to making a hydration system and making sure that player's discarded single use water bottles stay where the players dropped them. Or making sure that bartenders are the most realistic NPCs you've ever seen (please ignore the npc patrons t-posing all around the bartender).

Interesting and fun systems where a pilot could buck a ship to help his buddies in the back deal with boarders? Nonononono. If I don't see player-generated litter on Stanton I'll literally uninstall.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Tippis posted:

Right.
It's not even beta yet.
But the game “has come so far”.
But it has been in development since 2010, according to Chris.
But this is normal after more than half a billion dollars have gone into that development.
But that's actually games industry giant Time Warner (wtf?!) making you believe this equation doesn't balance out.

Right, right, riiiiiight. That's some very impressive reality-warping dissonance at play right there.

In the common usage within the games industry, Star Citizen is not even alpha yet, let's not give them more credit than they deserve.
To declare the alpha milestone you should have 2 major pieces

- All the functionality that was designed for. Regarding SC, we should highlight that this most definitely includes fundamental networking technology. The functionality can be buggy and unoptimized, but it needs to exist.
- Representative content for all the parts of the game that were designed for. It can be unpolished but it needs to exist.

Alpha content and functionality are subject to change because designs can change from input during internal alpha testing but this is the general idea. My experience with this is how the whole flight idea got thrown in to Anthem as it was moving towards closed alpha.

SC is quite the hodgepodge of development but I'd say they have pieces ranging from prototype only, pre-alpha, and a few bits that could be considered alpha...maybe.
The game as a whole is a very weak pre-alpha.

After more than a decade.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Fidelitious posted:

In the common usage within the games industry, Star Citizen is not even alpha yet, let's not give them more credit than they deserve.
To declare the alpha milestone you should have 2 major pieces

- All the functionality that was designed for. Regarding SC, we should highlight that this most definitely includes fundamental networking technology. The functionality can be buggy and unoptimized, but it needs to exist.
- Representative content for all the parts of the game that were designed for. It can be unpolished but it needs to exist.

Alpha content and functionality are subject to change because designs can change from input during internal alpha testing but this is the general idea. My experience with this is how the whole flight idea got thrown in to Anthem as it was moving towards closed alpha.

SC is quite the hodgepodge of development but I'd say they have pieces ranging from prototype only, pre-alpha, and a few bits that could be considered alpha...maybe.
The game as a whole is a very weak pre-alpha.

After more than a decade.

But what if you do the whole thing backwards? What is alpha really? You of course start by creating trailer for your game (or claim you did, but crytek did it). Then you start selling it. Then you make the flashiest graphics you can afford and hire hollywood actors. Then you start layering code, like it's bricks, and after 10 years you sort of kind of maybe start thinking about gameplay loops (e.g. collecting trash game play). What is alpha then?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

The game is more like a vertical slice or proof-of-concept which is very telling considering it's primary purpose is to sell more ships, rather than to test anything. I sometimes wonder how much they could have finished if they had greyboxed everything 10 years ago instead of trying to make this game super graphically pretty (and it kind of was like 6 years ago, uncanny-valley people notwithstanding).

It is impossible to put SC into alpha because they don't even know what their core features are, let alone completing them.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 15, 2023

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mendrian posted:

It is impossible to put SC into alpha because they don't even know what their core features are, let alone completing them.

It's also really funny how open they are about this as well. Like recently they were talking about, "oh we just started thinking what was going to be in the sky scrapers in our cities, and we just did a big brain storm of all the exciting things we could include!"

Like what is likely to be a major play space for your players and you haven't even thought about it yet? I swear at this point they must of already written all that up like 5-6 years ago or some such and just forgot they did, or forgot where they saved there notes. Like it's been 10 years, how could they not of talked all that stuff to death already.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So what kind of a scam does Star Citizen fall into anyways? The closest things I can think of are either MLM or Ponzi schemes, but MLMs actually give you a product and an incentive for you to get others to buy into it and ponzi schemes have the promise of giving you money.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Randalor posted:

So what kind of a scam does Star Citizen fall into anyways? The closest things I can think of are either MLM or Ponzi schemes, but MLMs actually give you a product and an incentive for you to get others to buy into it and ponzi schemes have the promise of giving you money.

I don't feel that it's a scam, more like a consensual FinDom service.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Randalor posted:

Honestly closest to a lovely explorative pay to play mobile game. MLM and Ponzi's both rely on the greed of the participants, particularly they're going to get more money in the end. Close might be a contractor con scam. Contractor comes in does a bit of works, than leaves before finishing, than when ever the contractor is contacted they convince the person to give them more money, to not only finish the original contract, but to do it even better, and even more things.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

I'm kind of proud to be a Star Citizen, right now posted:

I know this is hokey, and I know we've seen our share of gamer rage over the last week, but do people remember how bad it was on the community when Andromeda tanked, or when Overwatch was bouncing people out of the login? The internet wants people to fail. The internet makes content out of people failing, and it gets paid for doing so. It wants epic, expensive failures above every other variety of failure... and as a community, we've kept that part of the conversation from overwhelming the community as a whole.

I'm not saying we don't have our problems with toxicity, but we remain aware of that problem and we all work together to manage it. This is one of those times when we REALLY could have fallen apart. We really could have.

We didn't. I believe that we won't. This doesn't just give me hope for Star Citizen. It gives me hope that we can fight through our own Messer regimes, and our own failing ecosystems, and that we can bend the numbers and the trajectory of our future just enough to reach for the stars.

Keep up the good work, Citizens. Onward to PES, and Pyro, and beyond.

quote:

I'm totally with you with this sentiment.

I'm brand new to this game, I watched the first videos CR revealed ten years ago and was amazed. Then I forgot about the game because I knew it would either be years and years before he actually produced something I could meaningfully interact with, or it would go nowhere and fizzle out.

Fast forward to October last year and my son told me to give it a try. I was amazed. Promptly deleted Elite Dangerous and No Man's Sky and haven't play much else since then . The 3.17.3 build was more of what I wanted from a space sim than either of those games. Happy Space Dad.

The features to be implemented 3.18 are highly likely to make the game even better (when they fix the bugs that are plaguing the live release).

The above sentence is the only rational way of thinking at the minute, in my view. The live game has been unplayable for a few days. That's the extent of the "disaster" we're "going through".

We are (I believe) mostly mature gamers with busy lives outside of this little fantasy land of ours. So I'm a bit dismayed at the sheer volume of bile being poured into spectrum at the minute. It's just pure impatience. No doubt in no small part due to content creators like salty mike and the other one, grumpy eye stirring people up into a spitting frenzy of righteous indignation. But it doesn't do anyone any favours. CIG don't care what they think. The numbers of people trying to log on to the SC servers speaks far more eloquently of the opinion of the playerbase than any Karen on YT ever will.

And that is why CIG keep going: we keep coming back for more.

quote:

I just want to add my voice to all this.

Despite only joining last year, and obviously not having been through the rollercoaster of previous years, I'm currently optimistic. The fact that they're actually making progress after all these years and are now adding groundbreaking tech shows their ambition and, like it or not, technical savvy. It must be horribly complex to do. I get a headache just thinking of all the dependencies. Add in a presumable poor management factor, and I just have to be impressed by what they've achieved so far. I've wanted such a game for a LONG time and I'm totally blown away by what we have at this stage.

Now, are they too ambitious? Maybe. But then again, where would science be if noe one had pushed the boundaries at certain points? That's what I consider CIG is doing here. If it's not new tech, it's certainly scale which is a big factor. PES, server meshing, all the physics, quanta (that background economics thingy?), beautifully detailed ships and other models/objects. Just try to imagine how their infrastructure has to look to get all that working seamlessly and without hiccups, lag, rubberbanding or just working at all. They need to stress test these things iteratively in incrementes. I say give them some slack.

As an additional note to the programming side of things. Judging by some comments here and there, it seems some folks have a black & white view on this. The devs are either masterminds, or their complete poo poo. In reality, there's a whole host of factors in getting dev teams to operate like a well oiled machine. Differing coding practices, language barriers (in some cases), opposing views on how to attack certain problems, varying degrees of competence, reluctancy to speak up, the ol' management problem, money, probably too many (or too few) stand-up meetings, more money, deadlines, burnouts, etc.

My point? Give them some slack. I'm looking forward to playing whenever they get the recent stuff sorted out.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/WeakHarmlessHorsechestnutleafminer-mobile.mp4

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Randalor posted:

It's not a scam, they have just transferred the risk of investment towards the backers. The risk of, you know, Chris Roberts at the head of an untested studio somehow failing to build the most advanced and ambitious game ever.

If they ever do an official release then it will become a classic pig in a poke scam.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Randalor posted:

I've thought about this, and the closest I can come up with is that it's not a scam in the most common collective understanding of the term, since, at least initially, there didn't seem to be any intent to deceive. This many years into the project, I'm sure there are plenty of people working there who know this isn't gonna happen, so it may have evolved some passive intent over time. But in the beginning, it was more of a guy who has no idea what he's doing convincing himself that he did, and convincing enough others that he did, to fund his indefinite immersion into Game Developer Fantasy Camp.

Chris doesn't think he's pretending to be a game developer, he thinks he is a game developer. So he's locked into a Truman Show situation where most of the people around him exist simply to keep him suspended in the illusion. The critical difference here, and where all their funding comes from, is that a large percentage of the people watching the show think it's not a show. And CIG isn't exactly incented to set the record straight on that.

I believe it was Sarsapariller that used the term "kayfabe" to describe the Star Citizen ecosystem, which includes the developers and their customers, and I think it's apt.

Unless "game developer" acquires some kind of regulatory status like doctors or lawyers have, not that I think it should, there's really nothing that can ever stop this kind of thing from happening forever.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 15, 2023

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Whether or not it's a scam, at this point it's extremely likely that at least some of the developers at CIG are fully aware this game is never going to work and their sole goal is to just milk the citizens for as much money as possible for as long as possible. It's impossible to tell if Chris is one of those people, but from an outsider's perspective, during the last few years he seems to operating as if he is one.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, I don't think Star Citizen started out a scam - I think they fully intended to make a game on day one, and release it after a few years of dev work.

It's just that they made so many ridiculous, unachievable promises since then that the game has become a scam - the people who bought in on day one have now been scammed, because the project has bloated to the point where what they paid for won't be achieved.

It's a bit like paying a guy to design and build you a rowing boat, except then a bunch of other people made him the same deal, and he got so rich and out of control that he keeps increasing the size of the project. Eventually he spends the rest of his life trying to build you a 200,000-ton wooden cruise ship, having hired hundreds of subordinates all over the world. It never works and nobody who paid him gets what they wanted, not you who just wanted a rowing boat, and not all the people who bought into the successively-larger designs along the way.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Or just literally Howard Hughes and the Spruce Goose, but instead of it ruining him mentally it just continues to print money forever.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Gort posted:

Yeah, I don't think Star Citizen started out a scam - I think they fully intended to make a game on day one, and release it after a few years of dev work.

It's just that they made so many ridiculous, unachievable promises since then that the game has become a scam - the people who bought in on day one have now been scammed, because the project has bloated to the point where what they paid for won't be achieved.

It's a bit like paying a guy to design and build you a rowing boat, except then a bunch of other people made him the same deal, and he got so rich and out of control that he keeps increasing the size of the project. Eventually he spends the rest of his life trying to build you a 200,000-ton wooden cruise ship, having hired hundreds of subordinates all over the world. It never works and nobody who paid him gets what they wanted, not you who just wanted a rowing boat, and not all the people who bought into the successively-larger designs along the way.

yes but you see the backers have been paying the salaries of all the developers all over the world in CIG"s fancy multi million dollar office spaces for the past 10 years, so it's worth it

do you want poor dev #1095 to not be able to feed his kids ? it will be YOUR fault if he loses his job at the JPEG factory !!!

forget that Chris and his ilk all take hugely inflated bonuses each year, and probably lease new cars/rental houses through the company too

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

To me, the closest comparison is Theranos. Did it start as a scam? Probably not. But once it became clear how much money was lying on the table, the bullshit really took hold. Negative information is suppressed and ignored - not just externally, but internally - because that would slow down the money train.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Mendrian posted:

The game is more like a vertical slice or proof-of-concept which is very telling considering it's primary purpose is to sell more ships, rather than to test anything.

…but what kind of concept would it even begin to prove? That you can extract far more money for far less output than even the most catastrophically predatory mobile MT game?

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

lmao

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

Mirificus posted:

Promptly deleted Elite Dangerous and No Man's Sky and haven't play much else since then.

lol they're incapable of discussing the game they enjoy without attempting to dunk on others in the same space.

Pretty sure you can enjoy SC without having to cast off other games like some sort of weight around the neck.

Mirificus posted:

We are (I believe) mostly mature gamers

Immediately makes a statement about "YT Karens" after this. :downsbravo:

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

:lmao:

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
It absolutely started out as a scam and is a scam and has had known scammers involved since day 1

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:rubby:

Thank you

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

i am a moron posted:

It absolutely started out as a scam and is a scam and has had known scammers involved since day 1

I don't think it started off as a scam, just an over-promised/under-delivered game. I do honestly think it has turned into a scam considering how it sounds like the game has actually backslid in development.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It may not have been an outright scam in the sense they didn't plan to ever deliver anything but it was a scam in that they were promising things that they either knew or should have known they couldn't deliver on. Looking at the Kickstarter stretch goals show how insanely over ambitious they were being.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Whether or not it's a scam, at this point it's extremely likely that at least some of the developers at CIG are fully aware this game is never going to work and their sole goal is to just milk the citizens for as much money as possible for as long as possible. It's impossible to tell if Chris is one of those people, but from an outsider's perspective, during the last few years he seems to operating as if he is one.

Probably. I'm checking out 3.18 now under the latest category of "jesus tech" that's supposed to make this game work, and everything's ruefully stringy. Any change to the codebase freshly wrecks fundamentals like ship summoning, missions, elevators, trams. It gets worse almost every go-through. The time expense of building a game around this rose exponentially until it was unrealistic, and that was many years ago.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Popete posted:

It may not have been an outright scam in the sense they didn't plan to ever deliver anything but it was a scam in that they were promising things that they either knew or should have known they couldn't deliver on. Looking at the Kickstarter stretch goals show how insanely over ambitious they were being.

If I was being generous I might say that they were in over their heads with outrageous Kickstarter goals and weren't sure what to do about it. That would have been forgivable... for like, a year. When more promises started coming and more money started rolling in response to those promises, that's when it definitely became a scam. There were things listed on the original Kickstarter that were basically impossible and even if they didn't know that they definitely figured it out in the first year. When your response to that is not to apologize, or work through years of technical debt, but rather to double down and say more money is going to make it even more biggerer, when you realize that promising impossible things makes you money so you promise more impossible things, that's when it became a scam.

TBH I really think Chris and co were planning on railing out a mediocre single player shooter experience in the vein of Dead Space or something similar but with ship flying, and then accidentally promised the PU. The fact that the PU has become the project that it has is really evidence that they had no idea what they were making when they started.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
They are also wholly dependent on pumping out new ships, like the company would collapse without new concept ships being churned out at the expense of older ships that haven't been completed for years. They are running a massive 700+ employee company completely on the back of ship sales and backers are convinced this will end once SQ42 comes out and outsells CoD games, which of course is an absurd assumption and CIG knows the party ends if SQ42 is a flop so they're stuck in this endless dev cycle where they are trying to play catchup with every other AAA game by remaking SQ42 to try and stay relevant.

As soon as SQ42 is released that's the end for CIG, it just remains to be seen how long they can put it off.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Oh my God

quote:

We didn't. I believe that we won't. This doesn't just give me hope for Star Citizen. It gives me hope that we can fight through our own Messer regimes, and our own failing ecosystems, and that we can bend the numbers and the trajectory of our future just enough to reach for the stars.

Keep up the good work, Citizens. Onward to PES, and Pyro, and beyond.

The true Citizen is Christlike—extending unlimited grace on behalf of our shared dream.

It is a beautiful testament to complete un-self-awareness of our consumer servility.

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020

i am a moron posted:

never mind that CR, Ortwin, and the Elmses ran scams before, because this time they had pure intentions. Listen to co-founder Sandi in 2012 and 13 talking about the project. You can tell it is all genuine. That sort of passion can't be faked.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

:lol:

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

IAbsolveMyself posted:

never mind that CR, Ortwin, and the Elmses ran scams before, because this time they had pure intentions. Listen to co-founder Sandi in 2012 and 13 talking about the project. You can tell it is all genuine. That sort of passion can't be faked.

This is true. Right from the beginning there were major lies in the marketing about the state of the game.

The original intent was to make a game using the tried and true method of fake it till you make it.

At some point they discovered they only had to fake it to make money indefinitely.

At a later point they realised they didn't have any idea how to make it and continued to fake it.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
I think it was misleading marketing from the start. The “is Star Citizen a MMO? No!” line, coupled with it being an online, moddable experience, was carefully designed to avoid the bad reputation MMOs had in the early 2010’s, yet not constraining themselves to a specific scope.

Whether it was a scam or not, it’s down to semantics in my perspective.

I thought it was fishy and didn’t put a cent in it back in 2012. I was in a cautious “wait and see” mentality.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Apparently the more ships you own the worse the crashes and bugs are right now…

Trains are still functioning properly though…

Deskeletonization has been added for Tier 0 Stimperial Gameplay…
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitize...utm_name=iossmf

The attachment system that came with the engine is somehow broken…
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitize...utm_name=iossmf

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 16, 2023

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Experimental Skin posted:

This is true. Right from the beginning there were major lies in the marketing about the state of the game.

The original intent was to make a game using the tried and true method of fake it till you make it.

At some point they discovered they only had to fake it to make money indefinitely.

At a later point they realised they didn't have any idea how to make it and continued to fake it.

:hmmyes:

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

colonelwest posted:

Apparently the more ships you own the worse the crashes and bugs are right now…

lmfao

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Oh and this is a great one, somehow the game is spawning tiny versions of ships that just float next to the player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Brilliant! You can buy pet versions of your ships for a mere 20% cost. A pet Idris would be like three hundred bucks and it would (maybe) follow you and do nothing.

Plan R fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 16, 2023