Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Pneub posted:

You mean like Tarantino's last 2-3 "final movies"?

after his 7th movie he started saying he'd quit at 10. this is his 10th

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I feel like the few exceptions to the rule are worth losing if it could be enforced. Sorry twin peaks season 3, in the bin ya go

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Arc Hammer posted:

Infernal Affairs is better

It's really good but The Departed just edges it out. That's what makes Scorsese so brilliant, he saw this great movie and realized that the only thing that could improve it was adding Mark Wahlberg.

That's what's wild about watching Infernal Affairs after The Departed, discovering that Mark Wahlberg's character basically isn't in the movie. The Chief has a buddy who has like a couple lines but that's it. And Scorsese took that minor character and made him Mark Wahlberg and gave him a ton of lines, and that's the only change he made.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Pneub posted:

This is in the same "Dan Akroyd movie I'd sit through the rest of for some reason if it popped up on Comedy Central" category as Coneheads. Tom Hanks is irrelevant, oddly enough.

I should watch it again, it's been years.

Still can't subject myself to revisitng RLM favorite: Nothing but Trouble.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Failson posted:

Nothing but Trouble.

everyone else had the experience of seeing this on cable one day and then spending the next 15 years thinking it was a hosed up dream they had, righ?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

everyone else had the experience of seeing this on cable one day and then spending the next 15 years thinking it was a hosed up dream they had, righ?

I sought it out after hearing that Dan Akroyd made an insane movie featuring Tupac's first film appearance.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Paramount has bithes doing a torrent poo poo bitch. I wants to see Picard season 3.

dtop reporting my piarting.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

You, mike, and rich makes 3 known picard wanters

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I am confident that not only will I not watch Picard, I can also dodge Picard related media reviews for as long as it takes.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Zeluth posted:

Paramount has bithes doing a torrent poo poo bitch. I wants to see Picard season 3.

dtop reporting my piarting.

I'd report you for drunk posting but given you want to watch Picard this might just be an accurate reflection of your mental faculties.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

my tng blu rays arrived today :)

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

yes

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

my tng blu rays arrived today :)

I really gotta pull the trigger on this when I have some spare cash

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

Isn't this like a common joke among those who have seen the film? I remember when RLM did the re:view on it, a lot of the comments were exactly about that. And I remember thinking that as well having seen the film as a kid and then never again until it was brought up by the internet 25+ years later. It really has the sort of nightmare logic and hosed up imagery that you can't explain if you tried.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

kids who grow up with imdb will never understand how sanity-bending it was to vividly remember a movie that simply could not have been made. The more you remembered, the more you thought "no fuckin way could that have been real"

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
yeah that scenario happened countless times over the years. one of the most common "wtf was that movie" conversations. makes sense when you think about it, has big names attached but was a big flop that was quickly forgotten.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
also bad was seeing the tv cut of a movie and then wondering if you just imagined the missing scenes on subsequent viewings

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I was convinced that dumb bone shredder roller coaster thing would have been way more gory had I owned the movie instead of seeing it on cable. I think that nightmare vibe worked on me, it freaked my 8 year old self out when I stumbled upon it channel surfing.

Still better than falling asleep with the TV on and waking up to alien poo poo or whatever. It was like waking up to a nightmare already in progress.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Another Aykroyd movie that seems like a fever dream was “Neighbors” with John Belushi. I saw that on a long flight as a kid and it messed with my mind.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The cable channels all had crap they got for cheap to pad the 10:00 to 5:00 stretch on the weekend, so a lot of it got watched by kids looking for the least boring thing they could find. Often enough, one good show would be followed up by the most dire poo poo imaginable, so we'd look for something else and come in during the middle of a weird movie like Nothing But Trouble, wonder what the hell we were watching and change the channel.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Who else's only experience with The Sweetest Thing was randomly turning on the TV when the penis song started?

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Gripweed posted:

It's gonna be great, I just hope it's his "final movie" in the same way that Hayao Miyazaki's last four movies have all been his final movie.

I remember when Ridley Scott said Kingdom of Heaven was gonna be his final film.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Stink Billyums posted:

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1635755779490992130

"sources describe the story as being set in late 1970s Los Angeles with a female lead at its center"

it's a self-insert revenge thriller where the protagonist hunts down an evil movie critic.
Movie poster tagline: I'm Shutting Your Butt Down.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

I had this experience with the Garbage Pail Kids movie after renting it as a kid.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I have great respect for directors who go out on a great movie and then retire.

IMO David Lean's Ryan's Daughter and Passage to India are both great movies. I like them more than some of Lean's more popular movies.

Miyazaki has been talking about retirement since Mononoke, but Spirited Away is a great movie and Ponyo is almost great so I am cool with that. Plus he is making another movie sohe still has a chance to go out with a bang.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Mar 15, 2023

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

bitterandtwisted posted:

it's a self-insert revenge thriller where the protagonist hunts down an evil movie critic.
Movie poster tagline: I'm Shutting Your Butt Down.

Oh god, I just suddenly remembered how Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back featured an extended bit about a lovely internet commenter who was talking poo poo about the Jay and Silent Bob movie, and the account name for the commenter was "Magnolia Fan". Kevin Smith legitimately thought that he had a rivalry with Paul Thomas Anderson for a little while.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Gripweed posted:

Scorsese was 64 when he made The Departed
Is this supposed to contradict NMNM’s post?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Vakal posted:

She is also a fully CGI creation that doesn't look quite real.

plastic surgery will do that yeah

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

ngl it would own if Tarantino makes a dead serious drama as his last film with no drop of blood

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

ten films, one for each toe. checks out

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Popoto posted:

plastic surgery will do that yeah

Anya Taylor-Joy doesn't look like a plastic surgery case, especially since she looks about how you'd expect her to look if you saw her in The VVitch and asked what you think she'd look like in 8 years.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXL_HDzBQsM

I for one am very excited for the brand biopic extended universe. Joining the ranks of Tetris and Air

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I want a movie about the guy that invented the little clips that bread bags use

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
drat i would not recognize glenn howerton in that

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

how about a movie about a puppy that can do it all

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

That DICK! posted:

how about a movie about a puppy that can do it all

John Wick IV: Puppabellum

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

I want a movie about the guy that invented the little clips that bread bags use

Sorry best I can do is the Slip n Slide

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Murdstone posted:

Is this supposed to contradict NMNM’s post?

Yes, The Departed is a very good movie.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I liked the Departed, but is it anyone's favourite Scorsese film?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
david lynch made twin peaks the return when he was 71

paul schrader made first reformed when he was 70

just the first couple old coots that come to mind. i don't think there's any basis for saying 60 is a cutoff for creativity.