Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
They're going to screw up the production somehow and print 500 of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
No one hears anything about the ring card until 5 years from now when somebody shows up at an RCQ with it in the sideboard and only sides it in once

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Are there any statistics about how much magic product actually gets opened?
And how much gets put into storage by those sort of collector, or shredded by conveyor belts in transport, or gets dumped on a landfill.
It is obviously different for each release, but there should be general trends.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

VictualSquid posted:

Are there any statistics about how much magic product actually gets opened?
And how much gets put into storage by those sort of collector, or shredded by conveyor belts in transport, or gets dumped on a landfill.
It is obviously different for each release, but there should be general trends.

I don't think this is something you can really measure with much accuracy. You would have to base this on data you get from point of sale, reseller listings, and things like surveys.

If I had to say what my hunch was, is that most sealed product is either waiting to be sold or opened these days. The days of buying a booster box and waiting for it to double its money in a few years hasn't been reliable and its been this way a long time. There is too much sealed product being made and the contents of that sealed product is too much at risk of just being reprinted again in the near future and/or have alternative art that is much improved.

Lord have mercy don't invest in magic outside of things you enjoy as a hobby. The math rarely works out for the type of $ you are risking.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
People have estimated print runs on Reddit, but who knows what is actually opened versus what is left in storage/collections or if their math is accurate at all. It's like trying to see through an entirely opaque wall, Wizards is never going to give us that info (probably).

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Also I'm sure it varies by product type as mentioned. Draft boxes get reprinted on demand. Collectors boosters not, etc.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Cactrot posted:

The best outcome is that it just gets opened by a rando that never posts or sells it, becoming the Kaiser Soze of magic cards, fueling rumors for years to come about how so and so saw it once in a commander game but didn't get the name of the person playing it, and after the game *poof* they were gone.

Best outcome is they don’t actually print it but insist they did, ensuring that it remains a thing of legend.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
it's a flavor win if the 001/001 ring's whereabouts are unknown for a decade or so. i hope it's not found for a long time

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

MtG ARG where they pay some poor hasbro employee to hide in a cave with it and tell riddles.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Cactrot posted:

The best outcome is that it just gets opened by a rando that never posts or sells it, becoming the Kaiser Soze of magic cards, fueling rumors for years to come about how so and so saw it once in a commander game but didn't get the name of the person playing it, and after the game *poof* they were gone.

It would be so fun to be that person. Have a random EDH deck eith that card and just show up at edh nights at random LGSs. Become your own legend.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

jassi007 posted:

It would be so fun to be that person. Have a random EDH deck eith that card and just show up at edh nights at random LGSs. Become your own legend.

The thought is fun, but the value of the card basically means its getting sold no matter how cool it would be.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

jassi007 posted:

You know them by the fact their entire EDH deck is a multiple-foot high tall stack of one-touches.

Standingstoic
Jan 17, 2007
Out of the blue, beyond any cause you can trace, you'll suddenly realize things are not how you perceived them at all. For some reason, you will no longer be the person you believed you once were.
All I can think about when stuff like this gets brought up during set releases is that isn't it incredibly likely something like this ends up sitting in some guy's "investment pile", especially now that there's a SINGULAR chase card that increases the value of sealed product until it is opened.

I love the idea of stuff like this because it lowers the price of singles, but this one being kinda the major first attempt and being tied in with an external property feels kinda meh.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I can't wait til the kid that opens it goes to college and his mom throws out all his Magic cards that are just taking up space.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Sure, its a transparent money grab, but its not squeezing people who just play the game for once. I'd rather they do that than stuff like putting all dual lands at rare or making extremely pushed mythics to get people to open more packs.

Even if people hoard collector boosters and never open them, that won't really affect the availability of constructed playable cards because people will still be opening draft packs. It makes wotc more money, without costing me anything!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

People have estimated print runs on Reddit, but who knows what is actually opened versus what is left in storage/collections or if their math is accurate at all. It's like trying to see through an entirely opaque wall, Wizards is never going to give us that info (probably).

Yeah, for example, based on the odds they put out for the serialized artifacts, and that stuff is legally binding due to published odds laws in other countries, the BRO collectors print run was north of 3.1M packs.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I’ve seen a ton of MTG Finance bros online offering what are certainly terrible lowball offers to “whoever pulls it” and honestly I’ve never been so irritated by that group of dorks. Usually I can ignore them, but this just seems lovely. I’m definitely in the camp of hoping the card gets opened and never revealed to the broader community.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I wonder if one of them is dumb enough to accept a fake

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

A Moose posted:

I wonder if one of them is dumb enough to accept a fake

You could absolutely find some rube. You should not do fraud even to the dumbest rubes, however.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

The problem with one of a kind items is that there is one of them so you can never really know what a fair price is, and there is not competition to compare it to. The rarity might make it worth less than if they had printed 10 of them.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I hope the one ring gets played unsleeved, on the concrete, in a playground, as richard garfield intended

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

The Human Crouton posted:

The problem with one of a kind items is that there is one of them so you can never really know what a fair price is, and there is not competition to compare it to. The rarity might make it worth less than if they had printed 10 of them.
Six figures, get to meet Post Malone, and a spot on Game Knights.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

There are two one-of-a-kind Magic cards: 1996 World Champion and Shichifukujin Dragon. The former was sold for $17,500 in 2001 to its current owner; the latter is on display at the head office of Hobby Japan.

I have no idea how much the One Out Of One Ring will sell for. It depends how many millionaires out there decide they have to have this.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Anyone who seeks the 001/001 ring is a fool. Read the books or watch the movie or the cartoon or play the game ffs everyone knows I'm the ring is bad news

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Someone's gonna get shanked over this thing and it's gonna be great

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

TotalHell posted:

I’ve seen a ton of MTG Finance bros online offering what are certainly terrible lowball offers to “whoever pulls it” and honestly I’ve never been so irritated by that group of dorks. Usually I can ignore them, but this just seems lovely. I’m definitely in the camp of hoping the card gets opened and never revealed to the broader community.

Dan Bock put out an offer of $100k for it. I will give WOTC this, it is great entertainment to see all the nonsense about this card.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

big cummers ONLY posted:

The most recent TCC video about pauper commander has made me think it might be fun to make a little battlebox. I didn't realize you can use any uncommon creature as a commander in that format. Could be a fun theme to just have five monocolor + one colorless deck with commanders that are just famous and iconic creatures, eg Mulldrifter in blue. Would also let me use some of this stupid bulk I have that I'm too lazy to unload.

Do you enjoy board stalls? There's not a lot of mass removal or bombs to keep things moving. My local pauper players had nothing good to say when I asked about the format years ago.

Jabor posted:

It's going to be completely impossible to open in packs printed at the wrong print house, and there are going to be people who work at the printers who know exactly which boxes therefore have a chance of containing it.

There are security protocols to deal with stuff like this. If Pepsi can do it securely, a card printing company that deals with sports memorabilia on a regular basis certainly can. They put some very wacky, very valuable stuff in some releases. Lots of 1/1. "Packs" of cards that sell for $6,000. Topps had a $22k release. Sports cards have gotten wild over the years.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

Someone's gonna get shanked over this thing and it's gonna be great

It would be funnier if everyone who owns it somehow loses a finger.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I don't think a lot of kids are opening $30 booster packs on the playground.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I am going to spend about $3.00 on the one ring personally.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Remy and a song about burn spells :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaiUUitZbns&hd=1

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
If I open it I'll live stream my hike up a volcano to chuck it in. If I get enough support I'll haul a dummy up with me to join the ring in its journey.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MasterBuilder posted:

If I open it I'll live stream my hike up a volcano to chuck it in. If I get enough support I'll haul a dummy up with me to join the ring in its journey.

Do it and then at the end go. "Actually, no" and then cackle wildly before having post malone tackle you and losing it anyways

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Set up an internet fund to pay you to take a trip to Hawaii to throw it into Mauna Loa, with a live video of you doing it being available to some tier of support. Explicitly state you are keeping any leftover money as compensation for these lols.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
“New” (it’s been around as a casual format for a bit) official Commander-like format: Oathbreaker

https://magic.wizards.com/en/formats/oathbreaker

1 Planeswalker Commander, 1 Signature Spell, 58 card singleton deck. Signature spell has the same commander rules except it can only be cast if your Commander is out.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hey everyone. I'm happy to announce that thread regular Framboise has agreed to volunteer as an IK for this thread. They're in the queue to get their buttons shortly. Thank you, Framboise!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
sincere condolences Framboise

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Phyrexians is such a crock of poo poo, what a loving pathetic excuse for a hive mind. It's not a hive mind, it's more like every is just in a really fascist hardcore fanclub. Honestly I hope they introduce another hive mind, but one that isn't a stupid janky joke, and they just roll over New Phyrexian with hardly a problem because they actually practiced unity and give mindery over... Whatever you call the chaotic individualistic mess of Praetors and underlings.

Phyrexians sucks rear end and I can't wait for aftermath to conclude and get them the gently caress out of the way for a long while. Bitch rear end not-robots trying to act like machines, pretending to be a hive mind and don't even have a fuckin LAN connection.

they should get Chandra first because lmao at her impulse to go "fight the tree" with no other planning or prep. Is she always this stupid or does she know she's been on enough promo covers and the other fire gal is gone, to have plot armour?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Whack rear end Phyrexians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

GonSmithe posted:

“New” (it’s been around as a casual format for a bit) official Commander-like format: Oathbreaker

https://magic.wizards.com/en/formats/oathbreaker

1 Planeswalker Commander, 1 Signature Spell, 58 card singleton deck. Signature spell has the same commander rules except it can only be cast if your Commander is out.

I absolutely loved Oathbreaker a few years ago, but it really needed a balance adjustment. The fact that T3feri still isn't banned (if even only as commander) is not an encouraging thing.

Leperflesh posted:

Hey everyone. I'm happy to announce that thread regular Framboise has agreed to volunteer as an IK for this thread. They're in the queue to get their buttons shortly. Thank you, Framboise!

What have I got myself into :gonk: