Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

fuctifino posted:

I don't believe in ghosts, at least in the conventional sense... but I have an unexplained 'thing' on a 35mm photo in my possession from 2005

It's from a roll of film that a filmmaker friend and a hired photographer took over the space of an hour to set up location shots at the boathouse at Radford Lake for the eventual shoot. All of the photos are normal apart from this frame:

Zoom

Enhance.

He said nobody could have walked into the shot without him or the photographer noticing. I even went to the location myself to try to work out a logical explanation, and there isn't one.

He got really spooked by this picture, and it took a lot of persuasion to stop him burning the prints and negatives as he had a lot of superstitious beliefs. In the end I made it a condition of me providing a film score for one of his finished short movies (which I was going to do for him free in any case).

There is a famous legend of a ghost called the 'White Lady' at the lake, and the nearest road is actually called 'White Lady Road'.

I have no explanations but it makes for a nice picture on the wall. I still have the negatives too.

e: I found an archive of the entire roll uploaded on flickr. I'm not sure if by me or someone else

https://www.flickr.com/photos/23921876@N08/sets/72157616770306444/

The bright "outline" is part of one of the plants in the foreground, which when combined with the pattern of stone in the background resembles a face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

mossyfisk posted:

The bright "outline" is part of one of the plants in the foreground, which when combined with the pattern of stone in the background resembles a face.

There are no plants that could do that in the foreground, at least none that appear in the other frames

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Pistol_Pete posted:

*Visit the ukmt to get the lowdown on today's Budget announcements*

*The entire thread is taking part in a Scooby Doo episode instead*
Despite its well worn 'look it was old man jaspers under the mask all along' formula its actually pretty common for Scooby doo to subvert its premise and actually feature real ghosts and monsters. In fact the first feature length animated feature 'Scooby-Doo Meets the Boo Brothers' Shaggy inherits a mansion thats so full of ghosts that he hires a team of ghost exterminators who turn out to also be ghosts.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
:ms:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mr Phillby posted:

Shaggy inherits a mansion thats so full of ghosts that he hires a team of ghost exterminators who turn out to also be ghosts.

That was actually matthew lillard in the movie "thirteen ghosts"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Any word on whether Hitchens was transforming into a corncob as he posted this?

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

fuctifino posted:

There are no plants that could do that in the foreground, at least none that appear in the other frames

It sure looks a lot like sunlight blowing out the ivy(?) leaves all around the doorway that appear in the other frames.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Perfect username / photo post combo.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Sanford posted:

A few pages back but worth quoting, a really good read and anyone who skipped it should give it a click instead.

Thanks Sanford! It's one of my favourite ever bits of reading.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

(Click for big)

I aligned it with a non-spooky shot as best I could. The 'ghost' is obscuring some of the stonework detail beyond the doorway, so I don't think it's just a plant that has swung in from somewhere (there don't seem to be any that would fit the bill in the other shot). To me it looks more like someone carrying a portfolio case or a reflector who's accidentally been caught in shot. But the OP said it wasn't, so :iiam: (an appropriate smilie).

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

OwlFancier posted:

That was actually matthew lillard in the movie "thirteen ghosts"
The most recent Scobby doo series at the time was 'the thirteen ghosts of scobby doo' in which shaggy had to capture 13 ghosts and put them back into a demon box. It was cancelled after 13 episodes, with only 11 ghosts captured.

In 2019, 34 years after they cancelled it they made a one off movie named 'scobby doo and the curse of the 13th ghost' which finished off the story and did in fact feature mathew lillard as shaggy.

Yes i did listen to a podcast about the scobby doo movies recently and yes it was 28 hours long.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jel Shaker posted:

lol so after all that, hunts budget for childcare won’t kick in until 2025

i.e. after the next general election.

Mr Phillby posted:

Despite its well worn 'look it was old man jaspers under the mask all along' formula its actually pretty common for Scooby doo to subvert its premise and actually feature real ghosts and monsters. In fact the first feature length animated feature 'Scooby-Doo Meets the Boo Brothers' Shaggy inherits a mansion thats so full of ghosts that he hires a team of ghost exterminators who turn out to also be ghosts.

I see dead people.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Pistol_Pete posted:

*Visit the ukmt to get the lowdown on today's Budget announcements*

*The entire thread is taking part in a Scooby Doo episode instead*

I needed that belly laugh. (Taking a break from manually checking addresses for 1000+ contacts on our database.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Niric posted:

Brendan Rodgers posted:
What if someone were to buy a mansion and fill it with this low frequency equipment and then rent it out as a haunted house experience? Maybe an old manor house with a suitable back story. Goon project? I'll make the discord channel.

Barry Foster posted:
quote:
proposal: i am going to make a fun zipline for kids at camp haunted house experience

reality: a goon spent tens of thousands of dollars constructing a machine an audio torture device that kills children, entirely by accident

proposal: i am going to get Norville "Shaggy" Rogers to recapture some escaped ghosts.

reality: a goon spent tens of thousands of dollars constructing a machine that opens a portal into Heaven. Is thrown into the machine and murdered by said ghosts.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 15, 2023

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Microplastics posted:

All ghost experiences can be explained by hallucination, either individual or group.

I guess we need to define "ghost" because much like UFO, a lot of people use that interchangeably with "vehicle driven by intelligent beings from another planet" rather than understanding its true meaning, "unexplained thing"

So, somewhat supporting your view on the matter, we're really talking about UGOs (unless the apparition levitates in which case it will become a UFO)

But if we're considering a ghost to be a being that has some degree of sentience, then that's just complete bollocks. They just don't fit into any existing knowledge of the universe.

Take evolution.

When did evolution come up with ghosts? Presumably the first protocells weren't leaving ghosts everywhere, and presumably single celled organisms aren't doing so today (otherwise the sheer volume of them would be creaking floorboards everywhere and you wouldn't even be able you see a humanoid ghost because of all the e-coli ghosts in the way). So did ghosts come along with sentient brains? Was there a primate that died and left the first ever ghost? Brains are built by genes so is there a ghost gene, and only that ghost-eligible primate left ghost-eligible descendants? The more we build a hypothesis the more bollocks it sounds because that's what it is: complete bollocks from start to finish

Don't even get me started on conservation of energy

Ok, so definition of terms is indeed important.

There are actually multiple types of phenomena that fall under the heading of ‘ghost’, of various types.

You have basically:

1. Hauntings. This is the type I’m most interested in personally. These are images/sounds/occasionally smells or tactile phenomena (touching sensations) that occur multiple times at a fixed location, often over an extended period of time and to many different witnesses but do not actually respond to them or the environment (a common thing with these is changing floor/ground levels, eg the Roman soldiers in a cellar in York). I’ve personally experienced multiple of these throughout my life, and while some people do seem to be more sensitive than others they seem to be more about location, time and sometimes atmospheric conditions than the person/s experiencing them.

2. Sentient apparitions- those that appear to be intelligent, and interact with the observer. These are the type most referred to in fiction/literature, but are rather less supported by actual siting reports. I tend to consider these to be less likely to be ‘real’ but don’t discount that some people earnestly believe they have interacted with them. I don’t really have a theory or model for these tbh.

3. ‘Crisis apparitions’/phantoms of the living. These are actually one of the most common forms of sighting reported- generally a friend/relative sees an apparition of a familiar person when said person is either dying or under extreme duress. There were a lot of these sorts of apparition reported during both world wars, and they’ve again been reported going back to Roman times and probably before. These are generally one-time events.

4. Poltergeists. These should need little explanation to most- objects move without any human interaction, appear, disappear, sometimes catch fire. Often sounds/voices are also reported, occasionally figures as well. These have been very intensively studied and while we don’t know the mechanism there is a /very/ strong correlation with the presence of pubescent adolescents, especially ones who are distressed.

Of these the first and fourth type have received the most study, with poltergeists the closest to being ‘proven’- they happen, it’s loving weird, we don’t fully understand why.

With regards your point on evolution that’s kind of a false premise- there are many known animal ghosts but one theory that flies around is that a certain level of emotional sentience is required to produce the ‘energy’ that creates a haunting- that it’s often tied into extremes of emotional duress might also tie in to crisis apparitions. The theory I have on this I call the ‘human transponder’ theory, but I digress.

I’ll add though that I’m aware of at least one phantom chicken (in Pond Square in Highgate, caused by Sir Francis Bacon making an early experiment with frozen food), so maybe the level of emotional sentience isn’t /that/ high.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Not sure when you were in your early twenties but did you hear about the Jenny Craig centre (in Newport) weird goings on back in the 90s?

My dad (in his perennial quest for a diet that worked) joined that plan and there were definitely strange goings on in whatever building they occupied at the time- including photographs that when developed showed the room behind the back wall of whatever room they were taken in (and no, photographs of the behind room had NOT been taken on the same film - I am well aware sometimes that traditional photos ie not digital sometimes overlap and give strange 'ghostly' type extra legs or whatever), wiring that continually corroded, would be replaced with new and corrode again really quickly. The centre was later found to have been built over the graveyard associated with children who had died at the adjacent workhouse in the late 19th/early 20th century?

In my opinion ghostly happenings are 'unexplained as yet physics' (though as we know spooky feelings can be induced with magnetic fields, low frequency sounds etc). If the 'many worlds' interpretation of quantum mechanics is in any sense real, maybe they are overlapping universes? I don't think we can entirely dismiss ghosts as a phenomenon, but I'm much more inclined to think there is a rational explanation for what people believe they have witnessed but we just don't fully understand what it is yet rather than dismiss it as entirely made up in their heads.

Slightly adjacent example: astrology dismissed by many as 'how can a big thing millions of miles away affect humans' - and then you find out big fkr in the sky Jupiter is so massive it makes the Sun wobble, there is correlation (ok not equal causation but... ) between sun's magnetic fields & heart attacks or psychotic episodes and generation of eddy currents in body cells etc. - I did discuss some of this with refs etc in the intro chapter of my PhD but didn't push the point as it's a bit 'edgy'.

The problem with any of this stuff though is that the people with the scientific skills to explore these matters are too scared to do so because it might affect their grants / funding etc*. and the people that 'truly believe' don't want scientific evidence - even if it might support them in some way - because they prefer to believe in 'magic' and having a scientific explanation would ruin it for them.

*I have a friend who was told in no uncertain terms not to pursue a line of research relating to 'zero point energy' as it would ruin her chances at an academic career for ever even though her supervisor - a senior professor well known in his field - personally thought whatever it was was quite likely. (Don't ask me the ins and outs I really can't remember, it was over 25 years ago now).

Yeah, we pretty much have the same view on this it seems. I’m just more.. invested I guess, due to a combination of my own experiences and my near lifelong passion for the subject

TACD posted:

Years ago I was in a field with some friends and we heard a helicopter fly very low overhead and land a short distance away. It was very loud; we could hardly hear each other speak. It was also completely invisible. So I think it’s important to remember that ghosts also come in helicopter form.

E: I realised this might come across as me aping the “identify as an attack helicopter” thing which I didn’t intend, the story is true but it was probably weird wind instead of ghosts or cloaking spy tech 🚁

I do have a memory of there being a ghost helicopter reported at some point. I know for a fact there are multiple reports of phantom aircraft, boats, cars, buses (look up ‘the ghost bus of Ladbroke Grove) and god knows what else.

Anyway, how about that budget eh?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
let’s pretend for a minute that ghosts are actually badgers

if one person goes to a place where badgers are suspected to be and sets up a load of cameras there’s a pretty good chance of getting evidence of badgers, like hundreds of images and full minutes of HD video

on the other hand if an entire loving industry goes to hundreds of places where ghosts are suspected to be and sets up a load of cameras they inevitably come away with gently caress all

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/bbcpress/status/1635971203293757441?t=jvxs9CAaBe4ls4dw4_W_9g&s=19

Filing this in the brain hole labelled "I feel like I am going insane."

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
UKMT Spring 2023: I’m aware of at least one phantom chicken (in Pond Square in Highgate, caused by Sir Francis Bacon making a-

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

UKMT Spring 2023: I’m aware of at least one phantom chicken (in Pond Square in Highgate, caused by Sir Francis Bacon making a-

Highgate is great because you've got the naked chicken ghost, and then you can stroll up to the Cemetery which has its famous vampire story / duelling warlocks writing angry blogs about each other.

But my favourite London legend is Bleeding Heart Yard and the corrupt rich lady who found herself dancing at her mansion's housewarming party with a mysterious and handsome stranger who then ripped out her heart, tossed it on the cobblestones, and whisked the rest of her away to Hell.

You just don't get that extra bite in pub ghost stories about White Ladies.

grobbo fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 15, 2023

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

grobbo posted:

Highgate is great because you've got the naked chicken ghost, and then you can stroll up to the Cemetery which has its famous vampire story / duelling warlocks writing angry blogs about each other.

But my favourite London legend is Bleeding Heart Yard and the corrupt rich lady who found herself dancing at her mansion's housewarming party with a mysterious and handsome stranger who then ripped out her heart, tossed it on the cobblestones, and whisked the rest of her away to Hell.

You just don't get that extra bite in pub ghost stories about White Ladies.

Grew up in Highgate, can concur. I used to do ghost hunting tours around the village and people loving /loved/ the duelling warlocks.

Incidentally about twenty years ago while doing research I joined a forum run by Sean Manchester, and got interrogated by him at length because he was convinced I was ‘a servant of Satan and his dark prince David Farrant’.

Actually digging into that whole story, it’s basically two super-autistic pagan obsessives carrying on a flame war for literally four decades.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Filing this in the brain hole labelled "I feel like I am going insane."

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I thought you'd enjoy this example of High Quality Policing

https://twitter.com/GeorgeMonbiot/status/1635972434862956544

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nothing but respect for MY haunting specters!

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

BMW lady clearly not a fan of the pedestrianization of Norwich city centre.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

grobbo posted:

Highgate is great because you've got the naked chicken ghost

What do the other chicken ghosts usually wear?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Wait, what, he's not the REAL Adrian1?!?!?
THE MONEY IVE WASTED!!!!!

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

NotJustANumber99 posted:

What do the other chicken ghosts usually wear?

Chicken was bought by Francis Bacon who had it slaughtered, plucked and drawn then stuffed it with snow to see if it kept it fresh. In the process he caught a cold and died a few days later in a nearby house.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It does seem rather weird that of all the chickens slaughtered the famous guy's chicken was the one that turned into a ghost.

Presumably that means that with the rise of tiktok the ensuing centuries will see a profusion of dreadful clout chasing influencer ghosts trying to sell you a vibrator and a hello fresh subscription.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Maybe it's the joint spectre of eggs and Bacon.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
so animals can be ghosts too? that must make working on a farm difficult, all those ghost cows getting in the way at milking time

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Fortunately, it's well known that ghost cows prefer not to remain at ground level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMll6TNnTs4

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

It's a pity the can designs I did for a Highgate craft brewery a few years back never came to fruition, as after the first Session IPA was done they were all for doing Ghost Chicken as the next beer name. Then the owner decided to cheap the gently caress out of it, & went with a graphics student who worked for peanuts.

As things did spookily pan out, I did all the branding for Werewolf Beer in Camden due to the head brewer from the above place leaving & starting that up awhile back.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.
Greatly enjoying that someone posting "it's as unscientific to say ghosts don't exist as to say they do" has resulted in some "I don't believe in ghosts but here's my inexplicable ghost story" derail. I particularly enjoyed the pareidolia photo!

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

XKCD may be for loving dorks but I think he made a pretty good point that the huge numbers of people carrying decent camera phones and still producing no solid evidence of ghosts/UFOs/Bigfoot/whatever is a strong strike against their existence

I've never thought much of this argument, since phone cameras (even ones that proclaim how amazing they are, like Apple) have tiny lenses, which make them cheaper and easier to manufacture but reduce the available amount of light and try and make up for the physical shortcomings in software. An extreme example of that is the moon shenanigans Samsung recently got caught doing, and the cheaper the phone the less likely it is to do it, but if you try taking a photo of anything on a $100 Chinese Android phone everything already looks like some Roswell UFO photo already with the grain and the blur.

The moon is an interesting one as there's some kind of psychological thing called "The Moon Illusion" that makes it look bigger depending where it is in the sky, so when you take photos of it it comes out irritatingly tiny compared to what it looked like to your eyes.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

A friend and I broke into Highgate Cemetery on Saturday the 14th (we both worked the night before) to hunt for the :spooky:Highgate Vampire:spooky:. We stumbled about in the dark using the meagre light of our pre-smartphone screens, I think maybe we found Marx's grave and he swore he was accosted by bats but I didn't see em. Eventually we were done and headed back to the wall near the main gate that we'd first climbed over.

I pulled him back before he jumped down directly in front of a parked police van and we walked the other direction looking for another exit. Then the helicopter that we thought was way overhead put its spotlight down on us and we dove into the dirt. No idea if it spotted us or not but we jumped up and ran god knows how far to the nearest wall, scrambled over and to the nearest bus stop.

So we eventually get back to the pub we lived and worked at white as ghosts and covered in poo poo. Everyone there was like 'whoa you saw it' which was brilliant. I can also say I've been chased by the police in the lamest, nerdiest way ever.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Chubby Henparty posted:

A friend and I broke into Highgate Cemetery on Saturday the 14th (we both worked the night before) to hunt for the :spooky:Highgate Vampire:spooky:. We stumbled about in the dark using the meagre light of our pre-smartphone screens, I think maybe we found Marx's grave and he swore he was accosted by bats but I didn't see em. Eventually we were done and headed back to the wall near the main gate that we'd first climbed over.

I pulled him back before he jumped down directly in front of a parked police van and we walked the other direction looking for another exit. Then the helicopter that we thought was way overhead put its spotlight down on us and we dove into the dirt. No idea if it spotted us or not but we jumped up and ran god knows how far to the nearest wall, scrambled over and to the nearest bus stop.

So we eventually get back to the pub we lived and worked at white as ghosts and covered in poo poo. Everyone there was like 'whoa you saw it' which was brilliant. I can also say I've been chased by the police in the lamest, nerdiest way ever.

If you were in the bit with Marx’s grave you were actually in the wrong cemetery entirely- the vampire stuff was all in the catacombs in the western cemetery. Also which pub?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Are ghosts subject to gravity?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Because if not they probably all blew off into space

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Must be, if they need helicopters to get around.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Might have been, we were working from a zine he picked up from Camden Market on a mushroom run and came in through A Big Gate but that's all I can remember.

The pub was the Gregorian in Bermondsey about 20 years back, which had its own ghost stories relating to the apparent plague pit next store. People say they heard and smelt things but I think that was dodgy plumbing. We actually had Ghostwatch? film some segments there because it's a fine old spooky Georgian building and I suspect I failed to charge them thousands for the privilege.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:
Just saying: if the next fudge contains the following or is in some sort of way supernatural-adjacent, I'll be buying an extra batch 😆

Couple spook-related stories:

Scariest moment of my life: I used to work at a Pizza Hut/KFC combo at a local cinema when I was 16 back home in Canada. As you can imagine, we used to get high as kites all shift, make ourselves custom pizzas etc and generally act like little shits. Good fun. The best was, we had late night showings of movies for staff only after hours. So, after watching LOTR:FOTR for the umpteenth time on the big screen, went to walk home around 2am. Two ways I could go: 40 minutes along the side of the highway with others, or 15 mins through a dark forest wine straight to my parents house. Went into the forest, immediately regretted it, weed paranoia combined with alone in dark forest was terrifying. Suddenly the first became noticeably quiet, and I could FEEL eyes on me. I turned in a circle and there was a man, standing above me on a large rock about a meter away. It was pretty dark but I could make out that he was south-east Asian, Chinese or Korean, with his hands in his pockets, tucked in dark t-shirt and center-parted black hair, with his eyes open super wide, looked about 40-50. I shouted "OH poo poo!", sprinted home and that was that. There was something about how scary I'd been finding the woods, juxtaposed with how calm he was in there alone so late, that really freaked me out!

Also, used to work at a hotel with a haunted room (1415 😬) but the story is super morbid so won't go into it here. The story was mainly used as a prank, telling it to new hires who were being shown around the hotel, only to have someone burst out of the wardrobe at the climax (happened to me 😭 bastards!), but we did definitely have multiple guests say they wanted to switch rooms, that the room felt cold even in the middle of summer, that their child thought they saw someone fall from the window as they entered the room, etc. Could tell the whole story in spoilers if anyone's interested.