Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

meatpimp posted:

I'll certainly never get to Jamie Hyneman's storage level. Looking at it, I don't know if that's heaven or hell.

He already is messing it up, he's got rubber bands in the middle of the t section

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

theflyingexecutive posted:

It's possible I already have one (just moved in a year and a half ago and don't really know anything about sewage) but DEP (who handles water/sewer) told me there wasn't an issue near me and the flow outside to the catch basins seemed fine. It also seemed like there wasn't enough rain to overload the sewer.

Gotta plumber coming tomorrow to clear it out and fingers crossed it's not a break. Thanks!

My guess right now is that it's some long-accumulated clog that was getting worse and the ice cold water was solidifying some fat/oil down there.

Yeah, this just sounds like a backup issue. The fun part is where the groundwater is getting in from. I'm going to guess your lateral has trees nearby, and the roots have made their way into the pipe. This provides a spot for groundwater to get into the pipe, and all those little roots grab things that would otherwise be able to flow through the lateral to the sewer. If this is the case, I can confirm you don't have a backwater valve installed, or if you do, it's non-functional. If it was working, nothing would drain (or would drain very slowly, because the pipe is, if not fully blocked, at least partially restricted), but nothing would flow back into your house either.

If the above is accurate, you've got two options (depending on how badly the pipe is cracked). If it's not too badly cracked, I'd just get it augered out and install a backwater valve, and then get it cleaned out yearly. The second option is replacing the lateral (I'd still want a backwater valve) but that comes with significant costs, though how significant depends on your location. You should start planning on the 2nd option eventually regardless.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BlackMK4 posted:

So to bring my thing kinda full circle, the AC company showed up, took a look, and said they'd reseal under warranty / no service charge since I'd complained before. The tech was nice enough to share a bunch of pictures with me, even though they're not the best.

To orient you - unit as of today, right side is basically where I saw the leaking.

[t-img]https://i.imgur.com/f1p0PeL.jpg[/timg]

Picture taken at install time, picture is basically the same orientation as the one above

[t-img]https://i.imgur.com/wszdIU7.jpg[/timg]

Seems to me that it was leaking in there before install due to the stained wood, but what do I know. He sealed up a bunch of small cracks and poo poo, I dunno what happens next... guess we find out next time it rains.

I assume that if it still rains the next step is to effectively lift the AC unit off the stand and replace that entire thing / reseal to the roof, and put the AC unit back on?

Raining today, its leaking :suicide:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

TrueChaos posted:

Yeah, this just sounds like a backup issue. The fun part is where the groundwater is getting in from. I'm going to guess your lateral has trees nearby, and the roots have made their way into the pipe. This provides a spot for groundwater to get into the pipe, and all those little roots grab things that would otherwise be able to flow through the lateral to the sewer. If this is the case, I can confirm you don't have a backwater valve installed, or if you do, it's non-functional. If it was working, nothing would drain (or would drain very slowly, because the pipe is, if not fully blocked, at least partially restricted), but nothing would flow back into your house either.

If the above is accurate, you've got two options (depending on how badly the pipe is cracked). If it's not too badly cracked, I'd just get it augered out and install a backwater valve, and then get it cleaned out yearly. The second option is replacing the lateral (I'd still want a backwater valve) but that comes with significant costs, though how significant depends on your location. You should start planning on the 2nd option eventually regardless.

It's hard to tell if it's groundwater or just roof water with leaf bits in it. That said, there is a tree just a couple feet from my lateral that could be ruining my day. I am insured against that, so hopefully not an apocalyptic cost if that's the case. Also the floor drain down from my trap/Schroedinger's valve didn't have any problems.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

It's hard to tell if it's groundwater or just roof water with leaf bits in it. That said, there is a tree just a couple feet from my lateral that could be ruining my day. I am insured against that, so hopefully not an apocalyptic cost if that's the case.

By groundwater, rainwater filtering through the ground (and leaking into the lateral) counts. Your insurance likely covers damage from the back up, but not the replacement of the lateral. Check your policy closely on that front. Pretty common problem really.. Or so I..

quote:

Also the floor drain down from my trap/Schroedinger's valve didn't have any problems.

Wait what the gently caress is going on with your plumbing. The floor drain, which is connected to the main sewer pipe, which is what I'm suspecting is both clogged and allowing water in, isn't having water backflow up it? Despite that its at a lower elevation than the shower drain, which is where the water is coming up?

What happens if you pour a bucket of water down the floor drain? That uses the same lateral as the shower to get to the sewer. And I doubt the floor drain ties in to the lateral past the tree. If there was a clog in the lateral you should have backflow up the floor drain. Something strange going on here.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Sorry for puzzling you! There was a clog in the lateral. The snake wasn't able to clear it, but a good blast of CO2 on top of that saved me a thousand dollar jetting. The trap was also clogged and as it turns out I have no backflow valve. The floor drain was ahead of the trap clog so maybe that's why it didn't overflow? :iiam:

There was a very tense moment when the snaking didn't work and the plumber started looking warily at the tree just a couple feet from my lateral. He ended up popping the manhole cover up and sussed out that it was a clog and not a break and grabbed the CO2.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Elem7 posted:

Good time to point out, you don't just have to use a "home inspector."

When I bought my current house I had a house inspector come out and he was... okay, but I also had an actual roofer come out to look at the roof and a plumber/HVAC guy out. The roofer found some minor issues but our contract was technically "as-is, no repairs to be made" so it was just informing us about some future projects, and reassuring me we weren't looking at an immediate $15k new roof. The plumber on the other hand discovered the 40 year old furnace was holed and leaking, and that the sellers did fix regardless of our contract given the seriousness. I think we paid an extra $300 between the 2 of them and saved $5k over the furnace issue.

There are legal things That are restricted to licensed home inspectors, at least in my state. Like, the inspection report that gets handled by the real estate lawyers has to come from the inspector and not the tradesman with a financial interest in performing the work.

Not to say you can’t have a plumber or whoever come out to look at it but the issue needs to get pointed out and confirmed by the home inspector to be considered within the contract negotiations. At least in my state.

Your experience with the home inspector missing big stuff isn’t uncommon sadly (and missing a 40 year old furnace is “big stuff” to me, that’s just basic checking the label kinda stuff)

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
That's definitely not the case here and seems like an utterly ridiculous law with an absurd justification, nevermind actual lawyers rarely get involved with most negotiations surrounding inspection contingencies around here, AFAIK. For one like any other time major issues are found second opinions can be sought out and multiple bids from different companies solicited for. Second, I don't know how that meshes with disclosure requirements which do not have a stipulation you only need to disclose issues discovered by an "official" home inspector.

In the case of the furnace in my situation the company who did the inspection did not do the work, they didn't even bid on it because the old furnace was an unusual old oil burner converted to natural gas that required more sheet metal work than they typically do. The seller didn't even try to wiggle out of paying for a new furnace despite the "as-is" contract since they risked the gas meter being red tagged and would need to disclose the issue to any other prospective buyers if we backed out, regardless of who did the inspection. (Yes we'd of likely lost our earnest money if we did back out but it was a similar amount to the cost of repairs and in our area, pre-pandemic, the sellers would've come out worse if things went that way)

Also my home inspector didn't miss the furnace issue, scheduling lead to him coming out after it'd already been discovered, but its very unlikely he would've found the issue which wasn't that the furnace was 40 years old, which I don't consider actionable.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

So the good news is I found a great electrician after almost being hustled by another one. This one said “yeah the dude who told you to rewire the whole house was crazy” so that’s good.

He also quoted me a much lower price upgrade the amperage than 10k! Well except that we’d have to upgrade the whole duplex service and would cost roughly 10k for both units, which is actually a lot better because of the split cost. In his eyes it’s not urgent until we upgrade to a heat pump. Not bad, but kind of a wash.

Good electricians exist apparently.

E: I mean, I guess we’ll find out but good INITIAL vibes

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 16, 2023

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Well except that we’d have to upgrade the whole duplex service and would cost roughly 10k for both units, which is actually a lot better because of the split cost.

Hopefully you've already talked to the other unit's occupants about this?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Johnny Truant posted:

Hopefully you've already talked to the other unit's occupants about this?

We haven’t but also we aren’t gonna do it immediately! It’s something we need to pitch to them, and since we just met them (and the upgrade isn’t urgent) we’re gonna try and develop a positive relationship first before coming in guns blazing asking for 5k.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Bread Set Jettison posted:

We haven’t but also we aren’t gonna do it immediately! It’s something we need to pitch to them, and since we just met them (and the upgrade isn’t urgent) we’re gonna try and develop a positive relationship first before coming in guns blazing asking for 5k.

:hmmyes:

smax
Nov 9, 2009

The bathroom vents in my house are routed out to 4" flappy covers on the exterior walls, this style. When it's windy they flap around like crazy and keep my wife awake at night.

What's a good alternative style vent cover for an external wall that can handle the wind well? Wasps getting into the vents are a problem, so something that seals up well when not in use would be preferred.

Edit: I'll have a number of these to replace for different uses (bathroom vents, range vent, and dryer vent) so some may see a little heat. Probably not enough to be a problem, but they'll see some grease or lint too. The bathroom vents are just the top priority now.

smax fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Mar 17, 2023

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

smax posted:

The bathroom vents in my house are routed out to 4" flappy covers on the exterior walls, this style. When it's windy they flap around like crazy and keep my wife awake at night.

What's a good alternative style vent cover for an external wall that can handle the wind well? Wasps getting into the vents are a problem, so something that seals up well when not in use would be preferred.

Edit: I'll have a number of these to replace for different uses (bathroom vents, range vent, and dryer vent) so some may see a little heat. Probably not enough to be a problem, but they'll see some grease or lint too. The bathroom vents are just the top priority now.

I've been installing those. They are steel, still have the flappy, and the mesh is also steel. I get mine from Menards as an "Imperial 4" White Steel Wall Vent Hood" for $25.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

meatpimp posted:

I use an old FLIR One attached to like an iphone 5. Cheapest entry into thermal and I haven't needed anything more.

Edit: They are very useful. I've used mine for checking wall insulation, finding drafts/air ingress areas, AC supply/return differential, main electric service entrance maintenance checks, etc.

Revisting this. I got out my first-gen FLIR One to check on a blower outlet I'm installing over the cooktop. While I was there, I looked at some previous pictures. In addition to the above, here are some uses:

I had a clogged drain. Instead of running a snake right away, I got the water as hot as I could and ran it. The FLIR saw the heat in the PVC pipe and I knew that the clog was passed the trap and into the wall.

Then last year, I was driving my Escalade and notices a brake burning smell. Ignored it the first day, the second day I took the following pics after a drive:

78* on the face of one wheel, 88* on the face of the other wheel was a pretty good verification of my "stuck caliper" suspicion. Replaced the caliper and no problems.

It's not always a lifesaver, but the FLIR can be a very useful tool, even with this ancient one with limited resolution. Now that I think about it, in my industrial times, I contracted out a company to FLIR the electrical cabinets. 4160V running huge processing equipment makes nice heat signatures. I don't have any of those pictures, it was back in the '90s, but I'm sure the resolution on those cameras was far less than even what I have.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
How much of a pain in the rear end is repainting a deck? It looks doable but it also doesn't look like something I necessarily want to do. It'll end up being a couple of decks as well with the pool so I'm sure that won't be cheap to have someone do. Paint is peeling on the walking surfaces so those will have to be sanded down for sure.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The answer to a question like that could range from super easy, couple hour job to something that will take weeks and everything in between.

As with most things and painting, prep is the biggest thing.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

What's the thought on Glacier Bay, the Home Depot house branded products?

I have successfully plugged the highly recommended American Standard Turd Destroyer Champion 4 more than once. The good news is that it "unplugs" with a simple double/triple flush so that's miles above what we used to have.

BUT, when I was at lowes depot the other day, I saw this:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/glacier-bay-power-flush-all-in-one-2-piece-4-8-lpf-single-flush-elongated-bowl-toilet-in-white/1001513334

Supposedly has a vacuum-assisted flush (I guess that's a good thing?) and about $60 cheaper than the American Standard. 2-3/8" trap which is the same size as the Champion IIRC.

I'm always leery of house brands with stuff like this though. No idea who the OEM is.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Op, have you considered adding more fiber to your diet?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Sorry for puzzling you! There was a clog in the lateral. The snake wasn't able to clear it, but a good blast of CO2 on top of that saved me a thousand dollar jetting. The trap was also clogged and as it turns out I have no backflow valve. The floor drain was ahead of the trap clog so maybe that's why it didn't overflow? :iiam:

There was a very tense moment when the snaking didn't work and the plumber started looking warily at the tree just a couple feet from my lateral. He ended up popping the manhole cover up and sussed out that it was a clog and not a break and grabbed the CO2.

Don't worry about puzzling me! I'm a water/wastewater infrastructure engineer, these kinds of puzzles are fun.

This is still kinda strange though. The bathroom trap being clogged should theoretically prevent backflow up the shower drain, so I'm not sure how you were getting water with what looked like leaf bits in it coming up out of the shower drain. I see a few different ways this could actually be set up:

- The working floor drain connects to your lateral after where the blockage was located. Entirely possible, though a bit strange. Additionally, the lateral is cracked somewhere between the house and the blockage, which allowed water to get in. The blockage in the bathroom trap was minor and not affecting anything. Solution to this is to install a backwater valve and eventually fix the lateral.

- Same as above re the floor drain connection. Your lateral is not cracked, and the water that came up out of your shower was in fact wastewater (shower water, toilet water, dishwasher, etc.). The blockage in the bathroom trap wasn't doing anything. I'd still install a backwater valve, but the problem will re-occur if a clog forms again.

The plumber indicating that the lateral isn't broken (did they actually camera the lateral to confirm no breaks?) doesn't jive with the water backflowing being groundwater - groundwater needs some way to enter the piping.

My old house had a tree near the lateral, and I got it cleaned out every year to deal with the roots. Additionally, it seemed like the pipe had a decent crack right where it left the house - upon clearing a clog, there was a few minutes of water flow into the lateral while the groundwater drained. I never fixed it because hey, it was lowering the water around my foundation free of charge!

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Sirotan posted:

Just remove the option for clogs entirely.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Sirotan posted:

Trust me, tons of fiber.... that's probably the problem lol

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Tremors posted:

:stare:

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

slidebite posted:

Trust me, tons of fiber.... that's probably the problem lol

How about billiard balls

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Tremors posted:

My auntie had an incinerator toilet because she lived on the shore of a lake in a conservation area.
It was very exciting but worked a little slowly.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
I'm pretty sure that's the Glacier Bay toilet that came with our house - working end looks the same anyway - and I've been using that successfully for 10 years.

I'm an overgrown overweight Midwesterner who subsists largely on cheese. Make of that what you will.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

It took almost a month but I finally got my financing all set on Thursday for my kitchen remodel. I was all worried about lead times on cabinets so I rushed over to IKEA today to put in my order. Welp there's no longer supply chain issues I guess because I'll have them in less than two weeks. I don't even gut the kitchen until the first week of May, lol. Not a terrible problem to have except now I have to figure out where to stick all the boxes...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Sirotan posted:

It took almost a month but I finally got my financing all set on Thursday for my kitchen remodel. I was all worried about lead times on cabinets so I rushed over to IKEA today to put in my order. Welp there's no longer supply chain issues I guess because I'll have them in less than two weeks. I don't even gut the kitchen until the first week of May, lol. Not a terrible problem to have except now I have to figure out where to stick all the boxes...

I know of a great place to store 'em: in your kitchen! Just remove the old ones first...

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
What colors should I paint my house? I hate the wheat color it has today. I want to switch to black but I'm not sure how much to paint black or what color to pair with it.

How it looks today (had to replace my porch roof which is why its black)

Playing around with a visualization tool

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

What colors should I paint my house? I hate the wheat color it has today. I want to switch to black but I'm not sure how much to paint black or what color to pair with it.

Regardless of what you end up going for I'd be mentally prepared to paint both the top and bottom ???whatever you call those. Awnings? If you try to paint the top one to match the bottom one it'll still look a bit different.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I don’t like the two tone, would go all black. Be bold.

Are you in a warm climate/do you get a lot of direct sun?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Greens look nice with red brick

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Yeah, dark green

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

All the new construction around here has made me pretty drat sick of dark blue and black paint.

I vote green as well.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Shifty Pony posted:

I vote green as well.

When it’s time to paint the house, we’re gonna go with something like this:

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
It turns out the Home Depot Lifeproof LVP flooring is pretty easy to install :science:

...as long as I get a big piece of quarter-round to cover the shitshow I made of the trailing edges because god drat cutting the planks lengthwise is hard :eng99:

Also I'm going to have to figure out how to join the various pieces together at door thresholds and whatnot, which seems tricky. Still, glad to have gotten rid of carpet.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

You cover the edges with baseboard, and between rooms with thresholds: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lifeproof-Hickory-Natural-1-4-in-Thick-x-1-3-8-in-Wide-x-94-1-2-in-Length-Vinyl-T-Molding-HLVT3026TM/206400133

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Elem7 posted:

That's definitely not the case here and seems like an utterly ridiculous law with an absurd justification, nevermind actual lawyers rarely get involved with most negotiations surrounding inspection contingencies around here, AFAIK. For one like any other time major issues are found second opinions can be sought out and multiple bids from different companies solicited for. Second, I don't know how that meshes with disclosure requirements which do not have a stipulation you only need to disclose issues discovered by an "official" home inspector.

In the case of the furnace in my situation the company who did the inspection did not do the work, they didn't even bid on it because the old furnace was an unusual old oil burner converted to natural gas that required more sheet metal work than they typically do. The seller didn't even try to wiggle out of paying for a new furnace despite the "as-is" contract since they risked the gas meter being red tagged and would need to disclose the issue to any other prospective buyers if we backed out, regardless of who did the inspection. (Yes we'd of likely lost our earnest money if we did back out but it was a similar amount to the cost of repairs and in our area, pre-pandemic, the sellers would've come out worse if things went that way)

Also my home inspector didn't miss the furnace issue, scheduling lead to him coming out after it'd already been discovered, but its very unlikely he would've found the issue which wasn't that the furnace was 40 years old, which I don't consider actionable.

It’s a pretty clear conflict of interest to have a tradesman perform the inspection when compared to a third party inspector. And a 40 year old furnace is most certainly ‘actionable’ to me, appliances have expected lifespans and a well-maintained furnace is about ~20 years. Looks like we have different expectations when it comes to buying a home, and that’s ok. Congrats on the home purchase :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I've had my Bosch 500 for a few weeks now and goddamn this thing is still fuckin sweet. Like, it'll auto pop open to air fry when it's done??

thanks for the rec thread (or maybe it was one of the other 3/4 house threads) :cheersbird: