Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Today's haul:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

pwn posted:

You're an inspiration always :)

Thanks!

caligulamprey posted:

Always be blasting Royal Trux.

Truth.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

sporklift posted:

New vinyl mix is up for March. No thought went into this one. Just pulling some records off the shelf.

https://www.mixcloud.com/Radio_RapTz/moss-appeal-43-ft-pete-moss/listeners/
code:
1.	George Shaw - 6295 SW Fisher
2.	Buffalo Springfield - Mr. Soul
3.	King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Stoned Mullet (Demo)
4.	Shina Williams - Agb'oju L'Ogun
5.	Mike and the Censations - Theres Nothing I can do About it
6.	Soul Ensemble - Melon Jelly
7.	Beck - Tropicalia
8.	The Metal Finger Villian - Pennyroyal
9.	Royal Trux - Purple Audacity #2
10.	Townes Van Zandt - Tecumseh Valley
11.	Supreme Angels - Rest From My Labor
12.	The Mountain Goats - Lions Teeth
13.	Queens of the Stone Age - "You Got A Killer Scene There Man..."
14.	Radiohead - Meeting in the Aisle
15.	LSD March - The Present is Storm

Ay this fucks.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

INXS :hmmyes:

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I bought the 20th anniversary edition of The Postal Service's Give Up, even though I already own the remastered edition from a few years ago. Worth it though, it's a perfect album.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Aww..

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1636010379091296256
https://twitter.com/DJPooh/status/1636020709733593090

https://twitter.com/Lynn_Cocoa/status/1635998379921506308

Big fan of this 'un:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ7eeb79DNk
(All or Nothing At All)

:yeah:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

free codes

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

God drat Instagram Ads got me this time:

https://spacelab9.com/collections/featured-products/products/splatterhouse-soundtrack?variant=44623640822048

I grabbed the purple/black version.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

dorium posted:

free codes

Thank you for the Mogwai!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Picked this up today from Goodwill. I also found a Dusty Springfield sleeve but the disc inside was Led Zeppelin 1. :confused: That wouldn't have been a bad deal but the vinyl was all scratched up so I left it.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

From my favorite local shop:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Finally listened to these things while doing some crappy crafts in the basement:

They were exactly what I expected, and made for surprisingly chill listening while crafting. And yes you've guessed it, it's primarily a man and woman narrator alternating explaining the characteristics of people with this star sign (and what they should and should not do in work and love etc) with chill Mort Garson background Moog music. Mort's style is on full display here but as it's background music for the narration there's no really wild flourishes. Also I am an Aries, but I have no idea where the moon was when I was born and the chart in the jacket gatefold is a bit unhelpful at it tops out at 1960. So therefore I have no idea which of the specific personality explanations based on which house the moon was in applies to me. Oh well, about half of them could describe me anyways, as is normal with astrology stuff.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Got ahold a a Takanaka repress, this album has a goofy samba cover I won't spoil; my dogs didn't like the bongos and referee whistling in it. Also these LitA Japanese Jazz and Funk compilations continue to own.

And a Tale of Two Kurodas: I saw Takuya Kuroda in Stockholm last fall and then preordered the album from Bandcamp, which was supposed to ship in November. Never got a notification, tracking, anything. Finally follow up with customer service in late Jan and they hook me up with a guy who just drops another copy in the mail, no tracking number, Royal Mail got hit with a virus, yadda yadda. So then 3-4 weeks ago the copy on the right shows up, and then a couple weeks later the one on the left shows up. Good thing they sent two! Record seems to be ok though.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
drat, I want some Takanaka but he's so pricey. I think I want the album with Brazil in the name for this song: https://youtu.be/cTDK5Bluh5A

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

A mystery package arrived today from goon pwn. I wasn't sure what to expect, aside from probably a record.

But it wasn't a record, it's a mix CD! I must say the packaging was an awesome idea, and well executed. If you can't tell, it's an old Christmas record sleeve that's been painted and pasted over.

The vinyl CDR even has its own inner sleeve!

I never participated in any of the old mixtape exchange threads, and it's probably been 15 years since anyone gave me a mix CD. Makes me want to make one myself some time. Thankfully I do still have a CD player hooked up to my stereo stack.

I'm not much of a music reviewer but pwn really nailed the winter vibes. It's appropriate to be listening on the last day of the season. The standout tracks for me are the first and last tracks, by Rail Yard Ghosts and Golden Boots respectively (I like songs that build and build). Metal Bluegrass is a new genre for me but I loved it! The French track Blanche Neige by Brigitte Fontaine was delightful, too.

There was a hidden track on the CD with a personalized mix that was spot-on, too. It included a track from the instrumental Beastie Boys album, which I've always avoided for some reason. That was obviously a mistake because it owns.

Well done, pwn.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 21, 2023

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

A couple more vintage ebay finds

Potentially illegally sold to me :sickos:

This one has an embossed cover

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

wa27 posted:

There was a hidden track on the CD with a personalized mix that was spot-on, too. It included a track from the instrumental Beastie Boys album, which I've always avoided for some reason. That was obviously a mistake because it owns.

Excellent, a convert to the Mix-Up :cawg: I bought that album twice, back in 200X and again about 14 years later to replace the water damaged original.

(Thanks, that means a lot :) )

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

wtf, somehow the existence of the Mix-Up album completely escaped me, going to have to check that out today. I'm a huge fan of The In Sound From Way Out too, that's been in semi-regular rotation since it came out.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

pwn posted:

Excellent, a convert to the Mix-Up :cawg: I bought that album twice, back in 200X and again about 14 years later to replace the water damaged original.

(Thanks, that means a lot :) )

The Mix-Up is by far my most listened to Beastie Boys album. It's fantastic.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

the back half of "off the grid" with that big synth lead is one of my favorite things they ever cut

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
yea I think the Beasties hit a real sweet spot between not knowing what they were doing and knowing too much about what they were doing. they get into grooves but don't know how to wank. it rules.

on a side note I picked up Hello Nasty the other day and holy hell I forgot how many goofy noises were on that thing. yes it's bloated but I kinda love every minute of it. I miss that "anything goes" spirit popular groups used to have back then.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Mail finally arrived today.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

I too got the hottest record/mix CD of Winter 2022! Heck of a mix, my tastes tend toward the brighter B side where I quite liked This Is What you Did and Seabird in addition to Blanche Neige. But the framing device of The Railyard Ghosts and accompanying radio chatter was quite inspired!

I am a terrible person who can't identify most of my secret track other than Boll Weevil by The Presidents of the United States of America. First track is gonna drive me nuts as it's a funky instrumental that's very Mr. Scruff yet I get Lucas Arts video game vibes off of it??? :iiam:

I barely remember the mix tapes thread, but dang if this lovely artistic effort doesn't make me want to get off my rear end and do something. Good show and thank you Pwn!

pwn
May 27, 2004

Turbinosamente posted:

I too got the hottest record/mix CD of Winter 2022! Heck of a mix, my tastes tend toward the brighter B side where I quite liked This Is What you Did and Seabird in addition to Blanche Neige. But the framing device of The Railyard Ghosts and accompanying radio chatter was quite inspired!

I am a terrible person who can't identify most of my secret track other than Boll Weevil by The Presidents of the United States of America. First track is gonna drive me nuts as it's a funky instrumental that's very Mr. Scruff yet I get Lucas Arts video game vibes off of it??? :iiam:

I barely remember the mix tapes thread, but dang if this lovely artistic effort doesn't make me want to get off my rear end and do something. Good show and thank you Pwn!

:) You're welcome! It's fun but not everyone has the luxury of free time in this country, what with our "working 40+ hours to make someone else rich is how you find purpose" culture. People need time to create, recreate, and do other poo poo with their life. And you get better work out of people when they're doing 20-30 a week, because they're happier and people loving like to work! :bernin:

And don't worry about identifying mystery songs (but fyi that one is Turkey Pot Pie by Money Mark), there will be a full track list + all manner of before and during photos, album art, and a lot more when i finally get the files up, likely later tonight.

Edit: That record is from Carthage College in Kenosha, WI, which I didn't notice until after it was all carved up; I feel terrible, it's basically a yearbook. The students recorded it and the profits helped fund their next year's trips.

(My proper photo light burned out and i was waiting for a replacement bulb, hence the terrible overhead lighting)

I don't care about defacing frankie lane or generic holiday records that were pressed by the [huge numbers] but that was someone's baby. When I realized it I did a quick rip of the album so at least I could listen to it later. Maybe I'll find another someday...

pwn fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 23, 2023

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

TrixRabbi posted:

Mail finally arrived today.

The Residents are currently encoring with an extended Diskomo jam and it's fun to watch people get off their asses and dance at a Res show, especially after 90 solid minutes of being screamed at.

This is the point where The Singing Resident was screaming "I want you to die" at me. Ten stars. :swoon:

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

caligulamprey posted:

The Residents are currently encoring with an extended Diskomo jam and it's fun to watch people get off their asses and dance at a Res show, especially after 90 solid minutes of being screamed at.

This is the point where The Singing Resident was screaming "I want you to die" at me. Ten stars. :swoon:

Hell yeah.

Random silly question but curious to pose it to the thread. Who are your favorite "Thrift Store Canon" artists? I.E. the hokey names you see pop up again and again and again in dusty old thrift store record collections. I gotta give a shoutout to Johnny Horton, who's actually some pretty fun classic country. Worth spending 50 cents or a dollar or whatever on one of those greatest hits collections next time you run across one.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I hear something about this man Herb, and his Delights

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

TrixRabbi posted:

Hell yeah.

Random silly question but curious to pose it to the thread. Who are your favorite "Thrift Store Canon" artists? I.E. the hokey names you see pop up again and again and again in dusty old thrift store record collections. I gotta give a shoutout to Johnny Horton, who's actually some pretty fun classic country. Worth spending 50 cents or a dollar or whatever on one of those greatest hits collections next time you run across one.

Like if you’re looking for thrift store country that’s actually good, Don Williams rules and is pretty easy to find.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

TrixRabbi posted:

Random silly question but curious to pose it to the thread. Who are your favorite "Thrift Store Canon" artists?
I feel like in the last few years he's flipped and now poo poo's weirdly pricy, but Jean Michele Jarre used to be a dollar cutout bin artist and every single one of them was worth ten times the asking price.

God I need a copy of Zoolook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzgjsUe5LSQ

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 24, 2023

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

TrixRabbi posted:

Hell yeah.

Random silly question but curious to pose it to the thread. Who are your favorite "Thrift Store Canon" artists? I.E. the hokey names you see pop up again and again and again in dusty old thrift store record collections.

Jim Nabors, number one with a bullet. :allears:

One of the few things from my home state I can be proud of!

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 23, 2023

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Got this in the mail recently.

Futoshi Moriyama - Yutai-Ridatsu.

The self titled track is a real ear worm. Track starts at 9:55.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfOkCSFqR6U

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

Hell yeah.

Roger Miller is mine.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

TrixRabbi posted:

Hell yeah.

Our first Chet Atkins record was “Caribbean Guitar” that my wife picked up on a whim, it’s probably my favorite but if I see him in the bin and the price is right I’ll probably pick it up.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

pwn posted:

:) You're welcome! It's fun but not everyone has the luxury of free time in this country, what with our "working 40+ hours to make someone else rich is how you find purpose" culture. People need time to create, recreate, and do other poo poo with their life. And you get better work out of people when they're doing 20-30 a week, because they're happier and people loving like to work! :bernin:

And don't worry about identifying mystery songs (but fyi that one is Turkey Pot Pie by Money Mark), there will be a full track list + all manner of before and during photos, album art, and a lot more when i finally get the files up, likely later tonight.

Thanks, I'll remember to check the link for the rest! And I'm sure you'll find another Carthage record, they're not the only college club to have put out a record: I used to have one for a college acapella group that I foolishly got rid of for some loving reason. Maybe it was an Ohio school? idk. And yeah a 40hr a week job is a drag on the ol' creativity.

TrixRabbi posted:

Jeez I had a think about this and it might have to be the almighty Herb (and pwn is his prophet) simply because while I only have one album of his I do listen to it fairly often. I used to pick up Ferrante and Teicher or Canadian Brass for my Mom, but not so much these days (even though I am half assedly looking for F&T's Soundblast/Soundproof and will forever associate brass instruments with Christmas).

For some fun light hearted country music that even I, a non fan, like I found an immaculate copy of this album in a thrift store bin. Very jokey and cheeky but I don't think it's the dreaded pop country but I don't know the sub categories for the genre so eh.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

TrixRabbi posted:

Hell yeah.

Moody Blues! All their 'core seven' albums are still very easy to find and I think they all rule. also gonna rep for all those 2 dollar Gordon Lightfoot albums, I think everything he did up to Summertime Dream is good

caligulamprey posted:

I feel like in the last few years he's flipped and now poo poo's weirdly pricy, but Jean Michele Jarre used to be a dollar cutout bin artist and every single one of them was worth ten times the asking price.

God I need a copy of Zoolook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzgjsUe5LSQ

crazy I've never seen a used JMJ album anywhere outside of a record show, which is weird because his first 2 sold a bazillion copies. they're all pretty cheap online though. he's in a weird spot - a lotta people think he's underrated because he doesn't get mentioned alongside Kraftwerk or YMO or even Tangerine Dream but on the other hand he sold way more than any of them so I don't think underrated is the word. Zoolook is incredible though, almost feels like a precursor to a bunch of vaporwave stuff. crazy nothing else he did is anything like it

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I ordered a copy of Fuckin' Whatever's self titled EP, which is Anthony Green (Circa Survive, Saosin, L.S. Dunes), Adam Lazzara (Taking Back Sunday), John Nolan (TBS, Straylight Run) and some minor percussion by Benjamin Homola (Grouplove). There's no guitars or anything, just the percussion by Ben and vocals by the other 3. It's interesting, I've only listened to side A so far, and it was pretty good. I'm a big Anthony fan and I love TBS and Straylight Run as well, so a kinda stripped back collab is pretty neat to me.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

JAMOOOL posted:

Moody Blues! All their 'core seven' albums are still very easy to find and I think they all rule. also gonna rep for all those 2 dollar Gordon Lightfoot albums, I think everything he did up to Summertime Dream is good

Gordon Lightfoot did come to mind too.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Ahahaha get hosed Mondo, I'm still angry about how you ruined Death Waltz.

https://twitter.com/TheWrap/status/1639307449143525376

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
Birthday stuff! Does anyone have any experience with this cleaner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

So I just ordered this album based on the cover alone:
And then found the music video and :allears: I can't wait til it arrives

https://youtu.be/PfAu8vqAHxc