Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

So I'm not getting any XP in Vault Hunters 3 skyblock and I'm unsure why. At first I thought it was the starter vaults so I made the altar and started doing those but they give me no xp either, google is being unhelpful as to wtf I'm doing wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

socialsecurity posted:

So I'm not getting any XP in Vault Hunters 3 skyblock and I'm unsure why. At first I thought it was the starter vaults so I made the altar and started doing those but they give me no xp either, google is being unhelpful as to wtf I'm doing wrong.

Raw vaults don't give xp after level 5 and you need to exit the vault within the time limit to get any xp. If you're doing those things and not getting XP then it sounds like a bug.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Macaluso posted:

The general consensus seems to be that the chance of losing gear and items and XP is part of the difficulty, but the items exploding everywhere really far is also annoying for if you can get back to them and go to collect them. So they want the ability to have the items all drop in one place but want to have it be on a timer so that you can't just wait out whatever mobs are there (several of us have mines right under our houses we'll often be on the chunks that have the death). And I guess they don't want to be able to just keep throwing themselves naked at a hard enemy over and over until it's dead and then just be able to simply pick their stuff back up. For the record I think that's all very dumb and would just like to be able to easily get my stuff if I die but they're fans of a lot of the WoW classic level tedious difficulty nonsense so I'm outvoted on that account.

If there's a way to change something in the files somewhere that makes it so the items all fall into one block in a pile where you die instead of all over the place, that'd be a compromise they'd go for but they couldn't find a way to do that.

Yes it's this. It's not "to prevent despawning", it's to keep items from literally flying everywhere. I've had items fly off the edge of a landmass 3 chunks away because I hit the ground too hard, and lost them forever because I couldn't find them.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

socialsecurity posted:

Are the vault crystals lower than your current level for some reason? The crystal's level gets locked on creation.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Devor posted:

Are the vault crystals lower than your current level for some reason? The crystal's level gets locked on creation.

I'm literally level 0 as I've never gotten xp, I think it was I'm not leaving the vault but dying, I had read that dying still gives you xp but thinking that was wrong.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Devor posted:

You still get xp in lower level vaults.

socialsecurity posted:

I'm literally level 0 as I've never gotten xp, I think it was I'm not leaving the vault but dying, I had read that dying still gives you xp but thinking that was wrong.

Yes, that's wrong, you have to survive and exit before the time runs out. You keep your loot if you die, but not xp. After level 20 you lose all non-soulbound loot if you die (when vaults stop having the "Beginner's Grace" buff).

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, Beginner's Grace makes you not lose any items but the downside is you don't get any XP if you die. Later on you can lose items but start getting some XP as a consolation prize.
That said you can turn on casual mode with "/gamerule vaultCasualMode true" which will still be active even after Beginner's Grace runs out. It'll return you to your spawn with the items you entered with, but you still lose anything you found in the Vaults, Zero Sievert style.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Started leaving the vaults instead of just dying and things are going better, even a few skill points makes a huge difference. However now I'm stuck on Sugar Cane, I really should of just done regular instead of skyblock.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

socialsecurity posted:

Started leaving the vaults instead of just dying and things are going better, even a few skill points makes a huge difference. However now I'm stuck on Sugar Cane, I really should of just done regular instead of skyblock.
As someone who got stuck on sugar cane for a while myself, your only recourse in skyblock mode is to run raw vaults, sprint from room to room, and look for those outdoor village/farm rooms. Each corner of those is picked randomly and tends to have a crop or plant, usually you'll get wheat or potatoes or pumpkins but from time to time you'll get a pool that has sugarcane and seaweed. Try a methodical approach to avoid getting lost, or just do what I did and uninstall xaero's maps and install journeymap instead so you never get lost and can see special rooms from a distance of 1. :colbert:

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

As someone who got stuck on sugar cane for a while myself, your only recourse in skyblock mode is to run raw vaults, sprint from room to room, and look for those outdoor village/farm rooms. Each corner of those is picked randomly and tends to have a crop or plant, usually you'll get wheat or potatoes or pumpkins but from time to time you'll get a pool that has sugarcane and seaweed. Try a methodical approach to avoid getting lost, or just do what I did and uninstall xaero's maps and install journeymap instead so you never get lost and can see special rooms from a distance of 1. :colbert:

You know what this is a fantastic idea, the time limit is too short to deal with the current minimap.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
I also recommend just cheating in every resource to make vault crystals, but that does kind of defeat the purpose of doing literally anything outside of vaults besides vault stuff.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Hmm I definitely don't remember the cyber totem being able to cleanse the entire continent from one spot before. But now if you can manage to feed it enough aer, ordo, and cognito essentia (and it's like 64k drives-full kind of requirements) you could just sit the thing in your base and have it clean the entire world. You'll also need to feed it ignis/vacuuos/auram if you want it to clean everything properly though.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, you definitely had to find ways to move the totem around, and it was one of the hardest and most tedious parts of the whole pack.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

What, you don't have to mount the dawn machine to your airship any more? Lame. I guess it's better from a "not corrupting the entire save" way.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yeah the 3.0 notes specifically say they upped the range and made it so you didn't have to move it. I think supplying the thing and doing all the scaling to get the materials was supposed to be the challenge, the actual cleansing is more of a victory lap. It's not like you're gonna clear the planet with blooms.

Hell, I'm struggling to figure out how I can get enough materials to even make a me2 system. Mining is such a chore even with a ticon hammer and the "ore caches" that are just regular caves was a real middle finger. I also probably did things entirely out of order, I've been everywhere except for stuff up in the air and I suspect a lot of people dig into botania before they do the botania quests and I know there's an ore generating flower but I was trying to unlock the various quests before getting into the mod.

Blightfall feels really dated compared to packs in the last few years that have breadcrumb quests all through important/useful pieces of the various mods. Blightfall is like, here's thaumcraft, better hit up all the wikis to figure out what's what and spend a bunch of time on reddit to learn about node bullying and how to do a setup. I did clear the obsidian tower to set up shop in it, I haven't moved my base or gotten to blood magic yet though and don't know what all the various ritual stones are that are in there, I'm thinking about just hollowing it all out.

Automation feels so minimal and all the tips/tricks/items that I'd expect to have don't exist in 1.7 so a lot of it's by hand or convoluted systems with base minecraft redstone and stuff. I know botania and thaumcraft was set up to be hard to automate, it just feels like I'm doing basically everything by hand and still scraping by because for example copper is so hard to come by every ingot is precious I can't even afford MFR machines because of the gears.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 5, 2023

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bhodi posted:

Yeah the 3.0 notes specifically say they upped the range and made it so you didn't have to move it. I think supplying the thing and doing all the scaling to get the materials was supposed to be the challenge, the actual cleansing is more of a victory lap. It's not like you're gonna clear the planet with blooms.

Hell, I'm struggling to figure out how I can get enough materials to even make a me2 system. Mining is such a chore even with a ticon hammer and the "ore caches" that are just regular caves was a real middle finger. I also probably did things entirely out of order, I've been everywhere except for stuff up in the air and I suspect a lot of people dig into botania before they do the botania quests and I know there's an ore generating flower but I was trying to unlock the various quests before getting into the mod.

Blightfall feels really dated compared to packs in the last few years that have breadcrumb quests all through important/useful pieces of the various mods. Blightfall is like, here's thaumcraft, better hit up all the wikis to figure out what's what and spend a bunch of time on reddit to learn about node bullying and how to do a setup. I did clear the obsidian tower to set up shop in it, I haven't moved my base or gotten to blood magic yet though and don't know what all the various ritual stones are that are in there, I'm thinking about just hollowing it all out.

Automation feels so minimal and all the tips/tricks/items that I'd expect to have don't exist in 1.7 so a lot of it's by hand or convoluted systems with base minecraft redstone and stuff. I know botania and thaumcraft was set up to be hard to automate, it just feels like I'm doing basically everything by hand and still scraping by because for example copper is so hard to come by every ingot is precious I can't even afford MFR machines because of the gears.

Get all your machines from machine bags. :P

But AE2 doesn't really require much more than quartz and iron, which are in abundance. There's infinite nether/certus quartz under the desert.

Also a tip for doing node bullying stuff: Node in a Jar is baby-times, make yourself a Blood Magic translocator thing.

Edit: Oh and Botania and Thaumcraft are very automatable with AE2. Especially with Thaumic Energistics.

The question of 'Do I handhold my players with breadcrumbs and explanations, or give them a goal and let them figure out how to solve it' was one of my biggest conundrums when I was trying to make my space station pack though.

This is my (very basic) endgame-ish setup. Needs to be ramped up for essentia production and more automation though.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 6, 2023

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Black Pants posted:

The question of 'Do I handhold my players with breadcrumbs and explanations, or give them a goal and let them figure out how to solve it' was one of my biggest conundrums when I was trying to make my space station pack though.

This is my (very basic) endgame-ish setup. Needs to be ramped up for essentia production and more automation though.

Oh, I meant to ask about that. Still working on it?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Admittedly I stopped work on it because I couldn't find inspiration for where the progression should go next or the mental energy to focus on it, plus I got a little overambitious for just what I can do alone. But Blightfall has made me want to get back into coming up with creative ways of making custom recipes for things again, so I dunno.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Black Pants posted:

Admittedly I stopped work on it because I couldn't find inspiration for where the progression should go next or the mental energy to focus on it, plus I got a little overambitious for just what I can do alone. But Blightfall has made me want to get back into coming up with creative ways of making custom recipes for things again, so I dunno.

You can do it! Just take it a bit at a time.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Just realized it's been around 4 years since Thaumcraft's last release. Somehow that makes me feel older than most things.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

iirc the term is "ancient and eldritch"

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

iirc the term is "ancient and eldritch"

That is not dead which can eternal lie has to get up in the middle of the night to pee,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Vault Hunters is getting a big update on the 12th, mostly to smooth over balance and progression at low levels, increase loot, add a new mission type, broaden bounties, and generally give better rewards. Also the infamous factory room that sucks rear end is getting overhauled I guess. Some recipes are better and mission types are going to be locked to the easier types for the first 10 levels or so, then gradually opening up to scavenger and slayer types.

It looks great but has also killed my desire to play the current version any further so I guess I'm just going to wait a few days.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Vib Rib posted:

Vault Hunters is getting a big update on the 12th, mostly to smooth over balance and progression at low levels, increase loot, add a new mission type, broaden bounties, and generally give better rewards. Also the infamous factory room that sucks rear end is getting overhauled I guess. Some recipes are better and mission types are going to be locked to the easier types for the first 10 levels or so, then gradually opening up to scavenger and slayer types.

It looks great but has also killed my desire to play the current version any further so I guess I'm just going to wait a few days.

The factory room is a real head scratcher, it seems to serve no purpose except be a death trap you either avoid or run through as fast as you can, though I guess you can stay down a hall and farm it for XP if you're into that.

Overall the changes look really good, the early game needed a serious buff. One thing I'd probably add is just give us Heal 1 at the beginning or 1 skill point to spend for free when you start because vaults are so rough until you get that, very demoralizing way to start.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, from the various Yogs runs, the factory went from awesome in VH2 to just a place to die in VH3.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I'm glad they're rebalancing and so maybe I'll check it out someday but I'm not sure I like this "streamer driven development" trend where things are made increasingly hard and tedious. Keep it to an optional 'kappa ball buster no streamer can finish this' mode and keep normal for the rest of us, thanks!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Bhodi posted:

I'm glad they're rebalancing and so maybe I'll check it out someday but I'm not sure I like this "streamer driven development" trend where things are made increasingly hard and tedious. Keep it to an optional 'kappa ball buster no streamer can finish this' mode and keep normal for the rest of us, thanks!
At least from the patch notes this update seems to be largely community driven in favor of smoothing out and helping newcomers, and especially focused on the early game. Pretty much the opposite of most balanced-for-streamers patches games and packs, including this one, have gotten in the past. It's a step in the right direction but it'll be a while before we can tell if it was enough.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yeah, it just sucks when it's finally community pushback rather than part of the design goals. IMO so many cool ideas flounder when streamer attention's being chased to the detriment of basically everyone else wanting to give it a try on a random afternoon.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
GTNH 2.3 officially released to stable with a bunch of good changes, most noticeably being able to run it with Java 19 which personally gave a significant fps/tps increase.

The full list of changes from the old 2.2 stable is massive but filled with mostly good things.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I remember playing GTNH either last year or the year before and stopping around the time I hit LV, maybe partway through LV, mostly because I was starting to hit a point where I was getting overwhelmed and feeling like I couldn't keep up. I did enjoy my time with it though. I'm tempted to give this new update a shot regardless, especially since the performance should be better.

edit: Ah yeah, I was playing on 2.1.0-QF1 back in early 2021. Probably should assume my old world won't update properly to a new version, plus I do recall a bunch of stuff early on where I had to pack up and move my whole base because it was more beneficial to be in a humid biome early thanks to water tank accumulation.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Your old world should be okay and yeah you want to ideally start in a zone that's 60%+ humidity. Late steam/early LV there is a water pump that's very good and runs off burnables to keep your boilers going but passive water is still very useful until you automate charcoal.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Vault Hunters is okay, not great. The Sky Vaults world type, at least, wasn't impressive. Vaults are a neat idea but the implementation is pretty boring and tedious. The dev's ambitions definitely outpace their capabilities, IMO. Eventually I just got bored in the middle of a vault and quit.

Seems like it's more fun to watch than to play.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 12, 2023

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I have specifically not looked up Vault Hunters. Without any other context, it sounds like Minecraft with diversions into old school death rouge likes or something.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I have specifically not looked up Vault Hunters. Without any other context, it sounds like Minecraft with diversions into old school death rouge likes or something.

Yeah, that's pretty much it, honestly.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Pollyanna posted:

Vault Hunters is okay, not great. The Sky Vaults world type, at least, wasn't impressive. Vaults are a neat idea but the implementation is pretty boring and tedious. The dev's ambitions definitely outpace their capabilities, IMO. Eventually I just got bored in the middle of a vault and quit.

Seems like it's more fun to watch than to play.
Almost more than anything, what kinda baffles me is how every dungeon is the same weird generic cave structure. Like, there's never one with hallways and rooms, in a more traditional dungeon style, or even variants on the structure. They change up a lot of things but the dungeon's shape is always the same.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
New update is out and first impression is that the enemies seem a lot easier to tackle in early vaults, monolith hunts seem a lot more beatable, and rewards, especially completion crates, are much more generous than before. Objective changes means monoliths only from levels 1-10 (and you only need to find 2 or 3 maximum). After level 10 you get the new objective type, "Elixir", which is pretty fun. You just have to fill up a meter by doing the stuff you'd normally do anyway, like killing mobs and opening chests, and once it's full you find a single fairly common monolith-like object and activate it, and it warps you out with success. Don't even need to go back to the portal room. The amount that things fill up the bar changes from vault to vault, so sometimes zombies will give a huge amount of progress and sometimes they'll give almost none. My first vault, wood chests gave a ton of elixir and as a result I finished in just a few minutes. Very low-stress objective.
Overall good patch, would recommend, but I imagine we'll get a hotfix in a day or two because I've heard there's weird bugs like magnets breaking too quickly.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My brother and I have been playing all the mods 7 and we've moved into one of those pillager mansions. We dedicate certain rooms to different things and its been going good.

And then with no warning, it happens

Lightning struck or something, I have no idea why the place caught fire. God loving dammit :smithicide:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Leal posted:

My brother and I have been playing all the mods 7 and we've moved into one of those pillager mansions. We dedicate certain rooms to different things and its been going good.

And then with no warning, it happens

Lightning struck or something, I have no idea why the place caught fire. God loving dammit :smithicide:

i burned it down

eat the rich!

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Next time, make some of those lightning conductors and see if it happens again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I remember a buddy and mine set up under a giant redwood tree years ago on a server. I think our MFR tree farm touched one of the roots so the harvester proceeded to eat the whole tree. We came back to a hole in the ground where our base was, a sign somebody had put up which read "I'm sorry for your loss."