Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I just managed to get 4th in a Battlegrounds where I never actually saw the combat phases. poo poo's on fire, yo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I have conflicted feelings about the kaboom bot replacement in BGs. It looks really fun to build around, but on the other hand, it's a tier 4 baron counter that will always be in the lobby when you play mechs. That could get old fast

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
You're right, it should be Neutral, so we can always blow him up.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
poo poo's been slow and discconecty ever since the update. On PC at least

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I have never been more excited for the flavor of new cards than I am right now.

Each class gets themed based around a different music genre? :getin:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
how they didn't give disco to Warlock I'll never know

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Julio Cruz posted:

how they didn't give disco to Warlock I'll never know

Disco lock has been a deck archetype for a while, now it’s just literal

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Disco lock has been a deck archetype for a while, now it’s just literal

it isn’t, though

Warlock is classical, disco went to…..Paladin!?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Oh what

Huh okay

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Because every choice is the usual Blizzard level of inspiration and flamboyant Paladin has been a thing for a long time.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The human dance in WoW is from the Bee Gees too and I feel that played into it a little.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Also Paladin has a lot of sparkly light aesthetics to its spells, they're a walking disco ball in WoW depending on expansion/talent choices.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Sucks BGs are disconnect city right now, the update seems pretty crazy and I want to play

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
I'm not at all optimistic, but I am curious what a jazz-themed, improvisational Shaman set looks like.

Weapon-focused Rogue sets were always a bummer to me because they meant fewer thief cards, but if you gotta choose a theme for Hip Hop Rogue,

Yeah. Do Weapons. Good idea.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the art alone makes disco paladin worth it

the art in general this expansion looks incredible

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Yeah Starlight Groove is prolly my favorite card in a long time, the art and the flavor are amazing

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Excelzior posted:

^^ oh god thats right I'm looking at it backwards, youll generate the spell in triple-runed decks

fuuuuuck that's going to be busted

https://twitter.com/MyntyPhresh/status/1635794460239089664

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

That's pretty reasonable. It's tough because you want to just say "make it so DKs can only discover cards within their runes" but then the decks get super consistent and that's probably even worse

edit: Honestly it's way too late now but an alternate Hearthstone universe where legendaries can't be discovered/generated outside of effects that specifically discover legendaries or whatever would be kind of interesting.

edit edit: huh, same tweet explains that the "randomly improved stats" on spending corpses count power and toughness separately. Still for sure strong but that makes it less nasty than I thought

goferchan fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 15, 2023

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

goferchan posted:

That's pretty reasonable. It's tough because you want to just say "make it so DKs can only discover cards within their runes" but then the decks get super consistent and that's probably even worse

edit: Honestly it's way too late now but an alternate Hearthstone universe where legendaries can't be discovered/generated outside of effects that specifically discover legendaries or whatever would be kind of interesting.

edit edit: huh, same tweet explains that the "randomly improved stats" on spending corpses count power and toughness separately. Still for sure strong but that makes it less nasty than I thought

Yeah, there are four numbers to be improved. The damage the card deals, the number of ghouls, their attack, and their health. In the video, they dealt 5+2 damage, summoned 2+2 ghouls, which were 1+6/1+8. So that's a total of 18 corpses spent.

Of course those 18 corpses spent could have resulted in a spell that deals 23 damage, unless there are hidden mechanics that prevent such an outcome. If there are not, I'm sure we'll see this spell a lot in upcoming Trolden vids.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

goferchan posted:

Is it, though? Is it too late? Or would that just be a better one?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

3-rune DK that spends as many corpses as possible is an interesting deckbuilding restriction, so I think I'm ok with that. I very well might grow to hate it in practice though

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

whooo! they actually thought ahead for once!

great news

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Shockeh posted:

Is it, though? Is it too late? Or would that just be a better one?

There's nothing stopping Blizzard from implementing such a rule. They are reluctant to make rules which can't be seen on the cards themselves like how Renew can't discover copies of itself anymore. But in a digital card game, they are free to implement such a rule at any time. And in fact I wouldn't mind them doing so with the new HS year.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Discovering legendaries causes far more cool, memorable moments than actually degenerate ones, especially since they removed the class bonus that made certain outcomes virtually guaranteed in some circumstances. There’s not really any reason to remove it.

In minor news, if you look closely at some of the preview footage you can see that the expansion symbol for Core Set cards appears to be a howling wolf, so it seems likely that the next year is the Year of the Wolf. I’m setting the over-under on “Inside you there are two wolves” flavor texts at 2.5.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Blockhouse posted:

the art alone makes disco paladin worth it

the art in general this expansion looks incredible

Is that Kangor? Makes me wonder if Paladin will be getting more Mechs again.
And also yeah I absolutely love how much that looks like the cover art to a 70's Disco Album.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Is that Kangor? Makes me wonder if Paladin will be getting more Mechs again.
And also yeah I absolutely love how much that looks like the cover art to a 70's Disco Album.

It is Kangor. You should watch the reveal video to hear the dev explain why :)

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

This is the first time that I've actually been excited about an upcoming Hearthstone set since Whispers. So well done Blizzard; now just fix the Core set issues at the same time and we're golden.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

NorgLyle posted:

This is the first time that I've actually been excited about an upcoming Hearthstone set since Whispers. So well done Blizzard; now just fix the Core set issues at the same time and we're golden.

You mean get rid of Brann in standard, right? :)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Victor Vermis posted:

I'm not at all optimistic, but I am curious what a jazz-themed, improvisational Shaman set looks like.

Weapon-focused Rogue sets were always a bummer to me because they meant fewer thief cards, but if you gotta choose a theme for Hip Hop Rogue,

Yeah. Do Weapons. Good idea.

I have no problem with hip-hop Rogue (go fast, do everything in the right order)

but imo Mage and Shaman should be swapped, let the class which can discover a shitload of spells be improv jazz and give electronica to the class which uses lightning

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Julio Cruz posted:

but imo Mage and Shaman should be swapped, let the class which can discover a shitload of spells be improv jazz and give electronica to the class which uses lightning

I don't know. Mage spells are typically big and explosive in a way that doesn't quite fit jazz, and Shaman tends to focus on stuff like elemental chains and making evolve randomness work and using the weird subset of tools you manage to draw that being smooth and improvisational fits the ideal version of the class.

The only question is whether they can actually make Shaman feel like the ideal version of themselves, because so far the only Shaman card we've seen is a 4 mana 3/3 with a pile of keywords and that's just not enough to get anyone excited.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Discard warlock should be jazz

Sometimes, it's about the cards you don't play

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Called shot: a neutral Spinal Tap reference card that lets any class go up to 11 Mana.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Druid's genre is apparently "hippie", alrighty then. Cool art and decent concept but the actual thought put into the design is bad/cringe.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Valiantman posted:

Oh, wow. I'm totally in love with the music theme and they seem to be taking it to ridiculous enough lengths that the cards themselves seem just plain fun. I've never paid for anything in this game but for the first time I'm tempted to. Even the signature cards look nice.

Well that temptation got cured fast. I'd never actually looked at what the packs cost in real money. :retrogames:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Color Printer posted:

Called shot: a neutral Spinal Tap reference card that lets any class go up to 11 Mana.

Ohhh that's definitely on the money, good call

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

They made that one flavor text from the mini-set talking about guff rotating, implying there would be another way to get 10+ mana after rotation so I connected the dots. If they don't do this I will be very disappointed in them

It could be a druid only card but spinal tap is not hippie music

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
how much should a “set your maximum mana crystals to 11” spell cost? I’m thinking 5 at least

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

Color Printer posted:

It could be a druid only card but spinal tap is not hippie music

Uhh, agree to disagree:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-yTWhuK48s

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
So glad I didn't have BG reconnect issues, or I wouldn't have enjoyed my most stupidly fun game ever (and make my opponent deal with this poo poo 4 rounds in a row) courtesy of E.T.C.

https://i.imgur.com/IXPOtzy.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
They’re definitely removing Elise’s buddy(reduces hero power cost by 2 permanently) from E.T.C.’s discover pool because discovering a buddy each turn for 0(or even 2) mana is hilariously busted