Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Oyster posted:

I thought to raise my personal rates from $20 to $100/hour minimum one hour billable.
FTFY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

I mean that's how it worked out, yeah.

When I left Xerox I specifically stated that I wanted to go back to the hospital system I was contracted to in a networking capacity. A recruiter just reached out for an enterprise network engineering position at that hospital system. Huh.

I don't think I'm interested, I really do love my present job, but it's kinda neat that actually happened.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Just make sure to tell people up front that it's a de-facto callout fee. Cuts down on timewasting.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Oyster posted:

56 minutes. They asked if it was $100 charge, I confirmed. Easiest $100 I've ever made, and I'm hella proud that I was able to stick to it.

What color do you want your boat?

Just kidding, must feel good, enjoy it bro!

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Microsoft has republished the elgato stream deck plug-in, it works but they removed the record action which is sorta critical. I hope they will re-add it eventually. For some weird reason the volume controls seems to randomly fail to find the app in the speaker mixer but i blame electron for that.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
A cert for a website expired 2 days ago. I notified someone on the project that it had yesterday just in passing, as I was in Digicert for something else.
Today I finally get a csr from the webhost, I quickly get it signed and send the person who contacted me the cert. No response.

Boss calls "What is this cert problem?" I explain that its a outside company, and I have sent the cert along. I wants it sent to another person as well. Sure thing, send to them.

20 minutes goes by: IT Director calls "What is the deal with this cert thing." I explain. Well who gets notified about these, I see 8 people (including him) are on the list.
"Well who is responsible for the cert?" I say the person who requested it, its their product, they should track that. But they don't get the alerts. Which ok, we can add them for this. But this is a hosted site by a vendor who is supposed to "handle everything." But apparently can't set a reminder in Outlook.

If it seems like I'm trying to dodge responsibility on this, you are right. Because I know they will find a way to tack this onto my job.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Expiring certs are a pet peeve of mine, absolutely preventable. While my support team has gotten better with this between a cert checker and reminders and another IT team starting to take this responsibility we still seem to drop one every 6 months or so.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Certs are a feature on my evaluation of new products/services, alongside SSO. If there's an unreasonable SSO tax or it's not supported, and cert renewal can't be scripted (also give me a really good reason why Let's Encrypt cannot be used) then I'm not interested. The Acme plugin for pfSense can authenticate against Azure as an enterprise app and create the DNS records needed to validate the cert before sending the renewal request and clearing up after itself, every three months. Why can't your commercial UTM box?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

One of my hills is automated cert lifecycle and I have put a bunch of effort into it at my current org to make the experience better, but we still get app teams that just completely drop the ball.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Ugh. I'm trapped in a form of cert hell with IBM support right now.

They can't figure out that I'm asking for where to install a client cert on an HMC. They keep sending me docs and videos on creating/installing a server cert.

IBM is turning off non-ssl access to their sites, which is a good thing. But we have Palo Alto proxies that do the mitm bit with SSL. So anything that does strict checking fails because there's a mismatch.

Sending the ticket back for the third time today. Maybe I'll get my point clarified enough before I'm ready to retire.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

tomapot posted:

Expiring certs are a pet peeve of mine, absolutely preventable. While my support team has gotten better with this between a cert checker and reminders and another IT team starting to take this responsibility we still seem to drop one every 6 months or so.

My boss forgot that the openVPN certs he set up for remote access to all the phone systems we manage were only good for 10 years. Starting in 2013.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Oof, that's gonna suck.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Just in time for me to cry about my home project that involves trying to automate LE cert deployment for my ldap auth

Jesus why is this so hard?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

RFC2324 posted:

Just in time for me to cry about my home project that involves trying to automate LE cert deployment for my ldap auth

Go next gen, make your own azure ad tenant and hook your home stuff to it using oauth/saml

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Yes, my linux based home lab that is explicitly MS free needs me to integrate it into azure. That sounds like *fun*

Especially since I manage everything with ansible

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

RFC2324 posted:

Yes, my linux based home lab that is explicitly MS free needs me to integrate it into azure. That sounds like *fun*

Especially since I manage everything with ansible

Sounds like you agree :D

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

I did LE certs for ADFS at my last job

I think for ldap auth you might be better off with a mini-pki though

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The Fool posted:

I did LE certs for ADFS at my last job

I think for ldap auth you might be better off with a mini-pki though

We are using opnsense for our router, which has a built-in ca that I was already thinking about using. Not like setting up a new internal root is hard.

In more thread related news, I got sold today. Literally sold.

:wtc:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

RFC2324 posted:

Did you fetch a good price?

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

were they auctioning off eligible bachelors at a work party? :psyduck:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Sywert of Thieves posted:

were they auctioning off eligible bachelorettes at a work party? :psyduck:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

RFC2324 posted:

I didn't think you could actually sell the rights to an RFC like that? You could only patent encumber them by requiring technologies owned by someone. Did Keurig buy you?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I didn't think you could actually sell the rights to an RFC like that? You could only patent encumber them by requiring technologies owned by someone. Did Keurig buy you?

:vince:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

new owners tried to have a mass onboarding meeting today, so beforehand I messaged the HR person and let her know I won't be coming in for less than 6 figures, and even then I have my doubts about working for a company that felt the need to buy me

she will be flying into denver friday, and we will meet up to have coffee and discuss my future, and I am not coming in without it actively happening. :yotj:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

more shitposting incoming, if I can ever catch up on all my threads

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

RFC2324 posted:

Please do, I want to know how the k-cup QR code DRM interfaces with your coffee pot protocol.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Thanks Ants posted:

Certs are a feature on my evaluation of new products/services, alongside SSO. If there's an unreasonable SSO tax or it's not supported, and cert renewal can't be scripted (also give me a really good reason why Let's Encrypt cannot be used) then I'm not interested. The Acme plugin for pfSense can authenticate against Azure as an enterprise app and create the DNS records needed to validate the cert before sending the renewal request and clearing up after itself, every three months. Why can't your commercial UTM box?

Sadly, most of the ones that seem to come up are for various appliances, or for whatever the gently caress the Avaya voice servers are doing.
I don't deal with enough actual servers or webhost to have any way of automating these.
The biggest issue we have with a lot of these is that these are internal servers that I'm purchasing certs for. We have a CA I can supposedly use, but its pretty old and doesn't seem to actually support current features in certs. There is a newer one, but for some reason the group responsible for it hasn't done a good job of pushing out the root certs for it.
Or maybe they have and just haven't told anyone.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

RFC2324 posted:

I really want to hear what's happened here someday when you are free and clear.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

RFC2324 posted:

new owners tried to have a mass onboarding meeting today, so beforehand I messaged the HR person and let her know I won't be coming in for less than 6 figures, and even then I have my doubts about working for a company that felt the need to buy me

she will be flying into denver friday, and we will meet up to have coffee and discuss my future, and I am not coming in without it actively happening. :yotj:

What does this mean? How did a company purchase an individual :thunk:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

They purchased the land under him and his town agreed to Habsburg rules

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

ASAPRockySituation posted:

They purchased the land under him and his town agreed to Habsburg rules

He should try mixing his seed with the ground to homestead it

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

:flashfap: EMINENT DOMAIN!!! :flashfap:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Her, actually! :eng101:

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
God drat it quit joking what is happening how did a company buy a person :cry:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Did someone buy.... RFC 2324, the Hyper Text Coffee Pot Control Protocol?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

i am a moron posted:

When two companies love eachother very much, they can do a merger. The employees of the bought company can use this as an opportunity to negotiate. They can come along for the ride, bail out, or demand a raise and/or retention bonus.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

/\/\/\. Nope! Mich shadier

i am a moron posted:

They bought a client list, and the knowledge base to support those clients. I am a significant part of that knowledge so they attempted to transfer my employment (along with 6 other coworkers) without like, asking my opinion or anything.

Me signing with them may be part of the whole sale, meaning it falls through without me, and I am absolutely amused at the whole thing.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Oh, and for the record, the company selling people is the same company that hosts house.gov

:murica:

E: murica emoji got changed....

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Thants