Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I am now aware of the driver as a thing I need to get, haven't bought import 4k before let alone blind buying, but this feels like a pretty good choice for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1636031369007570947

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I wish I liked Time Bandits more than I do. The Baron Munchausen UHD was excellent.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
My Tár 4K just came in and it looks absolutely terrific

Tár Tár Tár Tár Tár Tár Tár Tár

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I haven't seen Time Bandits in a very long time. Strangely it was always on TV and always the second half :shrug:

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Haha, years of having Time Bandits on my Criterion list and it always falling into the "maybe next sale" pile finally pays off!

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1636073807679987715

*points to thread title*

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:yeshaha:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

I think that's applicable to every Renny Harlin film. I haven't seen a single one that is good, but I've loved and enjoyed every one I've watched. I even think Cutthroat Island is fun.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Deep Blue Sea is drat good!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

Deep Blue Sea is drat good!

Oh it's a 5 star movie, and easily his best.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

easy pass

TCM went under 25 though like I thought, so that was a grab

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Franchescanado posted:

I think that's applicable to every Renny Harlin film. I haven't seen a single one that is good, but I've loved and enjoyed every one I've watched. I even think Cutthroat Island is fun.

I won't stand for this Die Hard 2 slander!

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Franchescanado posted:

The Long Kiss Goodnight is legit great.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m a dream master man myself

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Even though they straight up ran out of money and had to do that whack Invisible Freddy kill, Dream Master is still underrated as hell. The time loop dream sequence is so good, super Anxiety Dream-y.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/billhuntbits/status/1636135879436812290?s=46&t=zT_I03vxpg3zsfxl4cf83A

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I will buy several of those.

Also it turns out Cliffhanger came out on 4K years ago if you don't care about the steelbook. Who knew?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’ll believe it when the disc is literally in my hands and not a second sooner

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

He still has to finish Avatar 3, 4, and 5 before we can upgrade our DVDs of True Lies and The Abyss.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

esperantinc posted:

Also it turns out Cliffhanger came out on 4K years ago if you don't care about the steelbook. Who knew?
It’s my most watched UHD Blu-ray

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

caligulamprey posted:

Even though they straight up ran out of money and had to do that whack Invisible Freddy kill, Dream Master is still underrated as hell. The time loop dream sequence is so good, super Anxiety Dream-y.

100%, it’s the best sequel after Dream Warriors. You could make a case for New Nightmare but it’s just not as fun to watch.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

tonedef131 posted:

It’s my most watched UHD Blu-ray

Is there going to be anything different about the steel book release? I'd like to grab a copy at some point.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

PinkoBastard posted:

100%, it’s the best sequel after Dream Warriors. You could make a case for New Nightmare but it’s just not as fun to watch.

New Nightmare honestly was a slog to get through.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I'll believe it when the disc is in other peoples hands and they say it isnt a smear job like T2.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

but will True Lies include the director-approved Pan & Scan version..?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

dorium posted:

I'll believe it when the disc is in other peoples hands and they say it isnt a smear job like T2.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

dorium posted:

I paid 7$ for that one and still feel like I deserve more than 7$ back

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Adventures of Ford Fairlane is some top tier Harlin, and it features Robert Englund, speaking of Freddy.

Was there a subsequent T2 blu-ray that was considered better quality? Or maybe I'm just thinking of the first Terminator. Regular blu-ray I mean, not 4K.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 16, 2023

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I mentioned this a page or two back but the Cliffhanger steelbooks is in the same line of recent steelbooks along with Air Force One that actually does come with a Dolby Vision upgrade, the previous UHD was only HDR10. So keep that in mind if you do Dolby Vision, may as well go with the steelbook.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Heavy Metal posted:

Adventures of Ford Fairlane is some top tier Harlin, and it features Robert Englund, speaking of Freddy.

Was there a subsequent T2 blu-ray that was considered better quality? Or maybe I'm just thinking of the first Terminator.

If you want T1 and T2 on home video in HD that are easy to get these are the two to own:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Terminator-Blu-ray/61372/
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Terminator-2-Judgment-Day-Blu-ray/127046/

There are other T2 releases with funky PQ, but this particular one is the good one comparatively.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Avatar didn't have a UHD release already?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

dorium posted:

If you want T1 and T2 on home video in HD that are easy to get these are the two to own:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Terminator-Blu-ray/61372/
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Terminator-2-Judgment-Day-Blu-ray/127046/

There are other T2 releases with funky PQ, but this particular one is the good one comparatively.

Good to know, thanks! I've got that Terminator release, but for T2 I've got the old 2010 T2 / Total Recall 2-pack, which is the 2006 disc I see. Looks like I'm due for a T2 upgrade, will grab that 2015 version.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

PinkoBastard posted:

New Nightmare is my favorite elm street movie. The concept is just fun to me and so are the little Easter eggs and the way it plays out.

But after dream warriors yeah Dream Master is badass.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Heavy Metal posted:

Good to know, thanks! I've got that Terminator release

Now, for the proper experience you just need to rip it and add the original mono soundtrack from the laserdisc. ;)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Steen71 posted:

Now, for the proper experience you just need to rip it and add the original mono soundtrack from the laserdisc. ;)

I do partake in stuff like that for Star Wars anyway. Also John Woo's The Killer. Are Terminator's added sounds etc that bad/noticeable? And how about T2? I haven't heard as much fan scuttlebutt on it.

Edit: found a comparison for Terminator 1 anyway, gun sounds mainly? I am tempted to dabble online for this now.

I was just reading about Sony's dubtitles on the various Godzilla discs I have earlier too. GMK, the greatest film ever made deserves a flawless translation.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Mar 16, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

yeah right

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Barnes and Noble is doing a buy one get one half off on anime and manga. Good chance to grab some Ghibli steelbooks, or other anime steelbooks,

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I saw VinSyn had their 3-disc 4K cases back in stock, and ended up getting their non-deluxe version of New York Ninja. Will I regret this purchase?

Also ordered the El Santo box set that Indicator put out last month. I assume the films are loving trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

edogawa rando posted:

I saw VinSyn had their 3-disc 4K cases back in stock,

ABOUT loving TIME. Ordered 5, used reward points to take $5 off, so they shipped free :c00lbert: Thanks for the heads-up!