Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

She's so great. Maybe they could send her back to the 2380s to ham it up with the Lower Decks crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Beeftweeter posted:

i mean sure, but they could just impersonate someone else that is in a position of power after observing them for a while? it seems pretty dumb that a changeling wouldn't do that, honestly, unless the section 31 virus also made them all incompetent

They could easily just murder everyone in every high office, it'd be the easiest thing in the world when you can literally be any item anywhere
And the federation would probably collapse without ANY leadership, or at least change pretty hugely

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

A changeling impersonates the Federation president to pass a law making it illegal for donkeys to be in bathtubs

Then the changeling impersonates a donkey in the bathtub at Picard's estate! Picard is arrested and we get a trial episode! Bonus points to get star trek fan Eddie Murphy to voice the donkey changeling...

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
And in the morning, I'm gonna make gagh!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Tars Tarkas posted:

A changeling impersonates the Federation president to pass a law making it illegal for donkeys to be in bathtubs

Then the changeling impersonates a donkey in the bathtub at Picard's estate! Picard is arrested and we get a trial episode! Bonus points to get star trek fan Eddie Murphy to voice the donkey changeling...

Yeah but then the changeling just accidentally impersonates an eighth grader in a suit that he thinks is the president, and the whole plan falls apart.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
One thing that is sloppy writing was how they had Shaw lay out the challenge thing for the Changeling to Seven. It makes it sound like they're all incompetent at espionage instead of, y'know, this one had their cover blown and hasn't had time to research their new identity.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

One thing that is sloppy writing was how they had Shaw lay out the challenge thing for the Changeling to Seven. It makes it sound like they're all incompetent at espionage instead of, y'know, this one had their cover blown and hasn't had time to research their new identity.

Well it's also clumsy because later in the episode they come up with a much better way to bait out the Changeling and it works.

I feel like that means there are two options:
1) they wrote the dumb 'challenge' thing and then realised they couldn't work out how to get Seven and Shaw in the room with the Changeling, so added the smarter bait trap;
2) they had the smart bait trap but then thought that the audience wouldn't understand why Seven was shooting Laforge, so the challenge got added.

I refuse to contemplate that someone put both things into the script at the same time.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

Bridge blast doors are down on those pics Dave Blass tweeted of the Intrepid.

I suspect the entire ship is compromised hence the episode title. Giving me Olympic Carrier vibes from Battlestar.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
This dumb motherfucker is now getting irritated at his own lore consultant guy who’s just doing the same thing he does for every episode in all his twitter posts

https://twitter.com/terrymatalas/status/1636076439111098368?s=46&t=6BcOzYzSHp7RCRYf1EhwEA

https://twitter.com/terrymatalas/status/1635734127923314688?s=46&t=6BcOzYzSHp7RCRYf1EhwEA

Like, you literally hired him to feed you prop and continuity minutiae for your show, my dude. He’s listed in the credits!

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
You just pop into the local psychic painter’s studio and feed them the residual psychic gunk from your brain via telepathy (it’s not hard guys!)

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Also the psychic painter? The Bus Punk!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Make a good Star Trek show, Terry Matalas (it’s not hard guys!)

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This dumb motherfucker is now getting irritated at his own lore consultant guy who’s just doing the same thing he does for every episode in all his twitter posts

https://twitter.com/terrymatalas/status/1636076439111098368?s=46&t=6BcOzYzSHp7RCRYf1EhwEA

https://twitter.com/terrymatalas/status/1635734127923314688?s=46&t=6BcOzYzSHp7RCRYf1EhwEA

Like, you literally hired him to feed you prop and continuity minutiae for your show, my dude. He’s listed in the credits!

Why is Terry so god drat sensitive about this stuff? He needs to log off.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Tars Tarkas posted:

Also the psychic painter? The Bus Punk!

Just where is your vision, the things you've done and said
Let's just push the button, and get you painted
Cause I paint you
And I portray you!
And I can't wait to depict your hue

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Matalas seems like he might have been created by the holodeck in a scene like the one from schizms.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Nichael posted:

Why is Terry so god drat sensitive about this stuff? He needs to log off.

Imagine literally being a credited part of the show and just doing your completely benign usual thing on twitter and then being quote-tweeted by your former boss being a public pissbaby because he mistook your tweet for a criticism.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Imagine literally being a credited part of the show and just doing your completely benign usual thing on twitter and then being quote-tweeted by your former boss being a public pissbaby because he mistook your tweet for a criticism.

It's insane. I don't get what the angle is here besides some kind of public breakdown.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Isn't it a long standing Hollywood tradition though to hire long-time fans IPs as "lore masters", utterly ignore them at every juncture, and then go "Wait who the gently caress are you?" to them when they point stuff out on their own private unpaid time? Pablo Hidalgo as Star Wars' lore master is like the 0.0000000001% exception to the rule.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nichael posted:

It's insane. I don't get what the angle is here besides some kind of public breakdown.

Matalas has been having an on going public meltdown/slap fight with randos on Twitter since he took over the show from Chabon in 2021. I'd start calling him Terry Mentalas, but that's insulting to people with actual mental health issues.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
TV IV > Modern Star Trek Megathread: Terry's Strange New Picard Twitter Meltdown

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Jörg is also like one of the nicest guys on Star Trek twitter and seems to genuinely enjoy every show. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him post anything more negative than an extremely gentle ribbing or light joke at a reference or prop.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Jörg is also like one of the nicest guys on Star Trek twitter and seems to genuinely enjoy every show. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him post anything more negative than an extremely gentle ribbing or light joke at a reference or prop.

It's the Donald Trump style "If you're only loyal to me 99.9% of the time, then you're useless to me" line of thinking. Then again, I've seen Matalas take whacks at people who are even more effusive about modern Trek than Jörg is. Remember the guy who was like "Uuuh, sir, it's a little weird that you're hanging around with all these publicly out and proud bigots, I still love you though, sir." and Matalas's response was basically "Smithers, find that man's dog and crucify it on his front lawn before sundown."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Seriously, he's one of the most laid-back people in the entire fandom. (I still think it's a minor miracle he hasn't strangled Bernd to death by now.)

nine-gear crow posted:

Isn't it a long standing Hollywood tradition though to hire long-time fans IPs as "lore masters", utterly ignore them at every juncture, and then go "Wait who the gently caress are you?" to them when they point stuff out on their own private unpaid time? Pablo Hidalgo as Star Wars' lore master is like the 0.0000000001% exception to the rule.

Not just Hollywood. Cloud Imperium Games eventually fired LOAF, and he's the biggest Wing Commander / Chris Roberts nerd in the world (both figuratively and literally).

Timby fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 15, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Timby posted:

Seriously, he's one of the most laid-back people in the entire fandom. (I still think it's a minor miracle he hasn't strangled Bernd to death by now.)

It's like some sort of "There must always be a Lich King" dealio where in order for Ex Astris Scientia to exist, it MUST by co-ran by a guy who loves all of Star Trek unconditionally, and a guy who literally came out of the womb mad at Star Trek for existing.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

nine-gear crow posted:

Matalas has been having an on going public meltdown/slap fight with randos on Twitter since he took over the show from Chabon in 2021. I'd start calling him Terry Mentalas, but that's insulting to people with actual mental health issues.

Terry Meltdownass?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah, it's kind of uncomfortable seeing Jörg in particular deal with this.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CPColin posted:

Terry Meltdownass?

Winner.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
"The bucket has to be the same as Odo's for the plot point to work!" :argh:

Or maybe you could come up with some other way of exposing the Changeling that isn't quite so forced and also doesn't ignore later DS9 when Odo stopped using the bucket? I dunno, I'm not a professional writer - oh wait, I am. (Also, nobody on the Titan ever saw Odo's bucket, so it's even more dumb and unnecessary to have to flag it up so obviously.)

How mad do you have to get on the Internet to show your rear end in public like that? C'mon, don't point out that you had to crowbar something in to make your story work.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

picard writers room whiteboard

UNCOVERING CHANGELINGS

-Punch it?
-use a picture duh (its not hard!)
-Riker saw it in a dream
-cute dog barks at them (Geordis dog)
-Jack crusher can smell changelings
-bucket?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You forgot: Angrily quote tweet Jorg for no reason.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Guinan painting is dumb, but like, who cares. The Odo bucket thing is just sloppy because you could easily have had it be any container. Shaw explains 'hey, they'll probably have a vase or something to sleep in', you show Seven wave her tricorder at a vase and Jeri Ryan make a 'eureka' face, and boom, the audience will get it. You can still even have the PADD show Odo's bucket if you want!

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Dude very much needs to let his show talk for itself instead of leaping into the fray as soon as an episode airs, because he's pretty bad at speaking on it's behalf

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Gaz-L posted:

The Guinan painting is dumb, but like, who cares. The Odo bucket thing is just sloppy because you could easily have had it be any container. Shaw explains 'hey, they'll probably have a vase or something to sleep in', you show Seven wave her tricorder at a vase and Jeri Ryan make a 'eureka' face, and boom, the audience will get it. You can still even have the PADD show Odo's bucket if you want!

That’s what’s bizarre about it. It’s a one line script tweak in the action. Matalas is fundamentally wrong about it needing to be Odo’s bucket for it to work. In fact, it takes more mental gymnastics to justify it being an exact replica - it’s easier for it to just be any old container.

It’s like he went specifically out of his way to gently caress that up. :psyduck:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
If it were me, I'd have put the Guinan Nexus painting in there SPECIFICALLY as a troll on people to make them go "Wait, why does Guinan have a painting of herself in her bar of a moment between her and Picard that 1) took place in an altered plane of existence and 2) that she wasn't even actually there for and has no memory of because Picard was interacting with an echo of her consciousness left behind in the Nexus" to which my response would be a big ol' poo poo-eating "YEAH! COMPUTE YOURSELF TO DEATH NERD! LOL :haw:"

But that's just me. I'm a dillhole, but unlike Terry Matalas I'm at least a funny dillhole.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I mean shows and movies using production stills and screen caps of episodes as set dressing has been a thing forever. I’m fairly certain Jörg has pointed it out before. It’s just an easter egg and a production convenience.

There’s zero need to get all weirdly defensive of it, doubly so if you’re literally the showrunner.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I mean shows and movies using production stills and screen caps of episodes as set dressing has been a thing forever. I’m fairly certain Jörg has pointed it out before. It’s just an easter egg and a production convenience.

There’s zero need to get all weirdly defensive of it, doubly so if you’re literally the showrunner.

Hell, just last year the Book of Boba Fett used a literal piece of Return of the Jedi concept art of Luke visiting Jabba the Hutt as comedy prop in part of its signature slip and slide screwball low speed chase sequence. People pointed it out and everyone went "lol". And that was it. And that was loving Star Wars Fans, the canonically worst excuses for human beings in existence short of Actual Nazis and there's a lot of Actual Nazis who are also Star Wars Fans out there too :byodood:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

HD DAD posted:

That’s what’s bizarre about it. It’s a one line script tweak in the action. Matalas is fundamentally wrong about it needing to be Odo’s bucket for it to work. In fact, it takes more mental gymnastics to justify it being an exact replica - it’s easier for it to just be any old container.

It’s like he went specifically out of his way to gently caress that up. :psyduck:

It's not even a script tweak. It's literally a prop change. If the episode was identical, but the prop Ryan pulls out of the hidden alcove is a random vase, NOTHING changes.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I don't think Matalas is being defensive or mad at Jorg. I think he's probably reading all the negative tweets citing it and felt compelled to make a snarky tweet.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Gaz-L posted:

The Odo bucket thing is just sloppy because you could easily have had it be any container. Shaw explains 'hey, they'll probably have a vase or something to sleep in', you show Seven wave her tricorder at a vase and Jeri Ryan make a 'eureka' face, and boom, the audience will get it. You can still even have the PADD show Odo's bucket if you want!
If the production team really likes the prop they could have also leaned into it by having Seven react to it being the same style of bucket -- a raised eyebrow or a deadpan "Really?"

I did appreciate the bucket's hiding place being a callback to the overloading phaser in "Elaan of Troyius".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

xerxus posted:

I don't think Matalas is being defensive or mad at Jorg. I think he's probably reading all the negative tweets citing it and felt compelled to make a snarky tweet.

It read a little snarky to me, too. Still, he needs to stop explaining his show.