Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

moths posted:

Is that available? I've seen fan ones, but that would be amazing.

I think they're supposed to be in the old world so we'd probably see it there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That makes sense.

I was remembering that you could get the 8e WHFB rulebook off GW digital back in the day, and thought I might have missed something cool.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

moths posted:

Is that available? I've seen fan ones, but that would be amazing.

nah it was only for GW and CA's internal use

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 14, 2023

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/03/15/unleash-the-power-of-the-gorechosen-with-a-barbarous-new-blades-of-khorne-battalion

Another BoK tome preview, dealing with the gory Gorechosen.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Wait, why does the battalion have three optional slots. You can’t ever fill them in a 2000 point game, you’d be over your Hero cap.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/03/13/old-world-development-diary-revealing-the-weapons-of-war/

Ah yeah, new Old World article talking about various weapons. Including a bunch of renders.

I was just wondering today if there have been any new updates on the Old World. This is taking such a long time to release, but i'm really excited to have a Bretonnia army.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Do lots of people want to collect a second gw fantasy game? Or wanting to drop aos for this?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

There is probably still a bunch of WHFB holdouts who either still play the old edition or Kings of War who are dying for this to come out. Possibly just for the models.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
don't care too much about old world the game, but want some more tomb kings at hopefully sub-ebay prices

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I would love to paint up some plastic Ushabti, because I've always thought they were really cool.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

GW created my perfect faction in Gloomspite Gitz so I'll stick with them. I just like seeing new models of things

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I have no interest at all in TOW. I already play Total War: Warhammer for all those needs.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I think TOW is nice for letting Brets and Tomb Kings exist again because those models own.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I don't mind Cathay and Kisleve getting actual ranges either

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Do lots of people want to collect a second gw fantasy game?

It's me, I'm that guy.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Do lots of people want to collect a second gw fantasy game? Or wanting to drop aos for this?

Yes, maybe after I win the lottery tho.

I'm half expecting monsters and vehicles to remain on round bases if that does happen then there's plenty of double dipping in most armies

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Winklebottom posted:

GW created my perfect faction in Gloomspite Gitz so I'll stick with them. I just like seeing new models of things

they'd look 100 time better ranked & flanked 60 deep and you know it

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I don't really have much interest in ToW as a game system but I always loved the Tomb King aesthetic and find them much more interesting than the general vaguely Eastern European Soulblight, so I'll probably buy some up just to paint for fun. The AoS scene is pretty healthy here so I'd be surprised to see a bunch of people drop it, especially since increasingly few people playing the game even have nostalgia for WHFB, so I'm guessing it's gonna be like Horus Heresy where there's a ton of cool sculpts and nobody to actually play games with.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I don't really have much interest in ToW as a game system but I always loved the Tomb King aesthetic and find them much more interesting than the general vaguely Eastern European Soulblight, so I'll probably buy some up just to paint for fun. The AoS scene is pretty healthy here so I'd be surprised to see a bunch of people drop it, especially since increasingly few people playing the game even have nostalgia for WHFB, so I'm guessing it's gonna be like Horus Heresy where there's a ton of cool sculpts and nobody to actually play games with.

I would rather use my Chaos Warriors in an Old World setting than AoS. Maybe this marks me out as a grognard, but I still consider the new background rather silly and weightless. I preferred the old bizarro-planet-earth map with its fleshed out histories and mock human societies.

What remains to be seen is how they allow models to cross over, basing solutions, and the actual gameplay. I still dislike some elements of AoS, like the double turns, shooting units being exactly as effective under all situations including melee combat, and the importance of ubiquitous command abilities (all out attack and defence). But there's no doubt it is an overall playable and enjoyable game. By all accounts, 8th ed WHFB wasn't.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I vastly prefer the WHFB setting, and I only really care about modelling and painting, so I'm really excited for new models in that world even regardless of the quality of the rules.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Just got my Kharadron tome and dang there's a lot of ways to put together an army but Oops Almost All Boats might be a really great one. Do you wanna give your boats Ward? just give them a Grundstok Gunhauler buddy, I don't know that reviews talked much about that. Any non-Gunhauler skyvessel within 3" of a gunhauler has Ward 6+.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

War and Pieces posted:

Yes, maybe after I win the lottery tho.

I'm half expecting monsters and vehicles to remain on round bases if that does happen then there's plenty of double dipping in most armies

I am almost certain TOW will use square movement/regiment bases with circle slots for the minis like Conquest. Play both games with your minis.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

One of the first thing they confirmed for TOW was that they were going to use square bases.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

One of the first thing they confirmed for TOW was that they were going to use square bases.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/07/21/square-bases-and-kislev-ascendant-see-your-questions-about-warhammer-the-old-world-answered/

This doesn't seem to suggest that bases that are square that accept round bases are off the table though? Conquest has square bases, but all their minis are on round bases. TOW not having any interchangeability will kill it as quickly as the price of 40 clanrats for a 200 point unit.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
Clearly when ToW comes out they will transition AoS over to square bases.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

This doesn't seem to suggest that bases that are square that accept round bases are off the table though? Conquest has square bases, but all their minis are on round bases. TOW not having any interchangeability will kill it as quickly as the price of 40 clanrats for a 200 point unit.

I mean, they might make adapter, but that's not really something I'd expect. They seem more keen on having you rebase your models.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

All the stuff that's not ranked up would be perfectly fine on a round or oval base. Looks like maybe some of the old units came like that already?

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Fanatics were always round. With their crazy-rear end scatter movement, round was easier to grok rather than having squares and explain that they didn't have to wheel.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Mors Rattus posted:

I think TOW is nice for letting Brets and Tomb Kings exist again because those models own.

I'd prefer they found a reason to stick them into Sigmar.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
If tomb kings are ever revisited for AoS I hope they make them proper mummies just to differentiate them from Soulblight and Ossiarch

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I think we have enough bone-centric dudes in sigmar already. The main thing I want to see is the cities range.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Wood elves please

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

WFB was my first tabletop wargame and I have no fond memories of it as a game. As soon as I was introduced to Warmachine (frankly I can credit warmachine for my transition to aos) I dropped it like wet turd. And grognards have really soured me on the setting. New minis are always fun tho

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Covermeinsunshine posted:

WFB was my first tabletop wargame and I have no fond memories of it as a game. As soon as I was introduced to Warmachine (frankly I can credit warmachine for my transition to aos) I dropped it like wet turd. And grognards have really soured me on the setting. New minis are always fun tho

I only played it a couple of times and didn't like it. I had some vampire minis and a dwarf army though (skull pass and stuff like the anvil of doom) they were neat.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/03/16/the-three-hosts-of-slaanesh-wage-war-with-lascivious-excess-in-the-new-battletome/

Time to indulge yourself in another Hedonites rules preview.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Genghis Cohen posted:

I would rather use my Chaos Warriors in an Old World setting than AoS. Maybe this marks me out as a grognard, but I still consider the new background rather silly and weightless. I preferred the old bizarro-planet-earth map with its fleshed out histories and mock human societies.

What remains to be seen is how they allow models to cross over, basing solutions, and the actual gameplay. I still dislike some elements of AoS, like the double turns, shooting units being exactly as effective under all situations including melee combat, and the importance of ubiquitous command abilities (all out attack and defence). But there's no doubt it is an overall playable and enjoyable game. By all accounts, 8th ed WHFB wasn't.

I actually think WHFB is a better setting, though AoS has grown on me - I just enjoy actually playing AoS more than I ever did WHFB. So yeah it's definitely a weird thing where if Tomb Kings magically got ported over to AoS I'd be on it in a heartbeat, and maybe ToW rules will be great, but it's hard to imagine it picking up enough steam to carve out a healthy playerbase.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I'd argue that WHFB feels like a better setting because it's very familiar. I mean, it's just our world in times of the Holy Roman Empire with magic and Atlantis and a bunch of civilizations mostly based on other fantasy settings.

By the end times, the world was almost filled up. You can see in Total War, there's almost no space for all the factions even with the gigantic Immortal Empires map.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Pretty sure I've said this before but I was always more into the Old World as an RPG setting rather than a wargame setting so there being WFRP as a current, fully supported thing has pretty much got me satisfied, along with the video games.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Speaking of WFRPG, since there's no thread for it from what I can find, the new Lustria supplement for it came out today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I think part of WHFB's appeal was that it's relatable and somewhat grounded. Like, I get how tough a Kislev dude riding a polar bear is because polar bears exist IRL. Empire soldiers are regular humans with fancy hats. It's a real feeling place, where all these creatures live and have jobs and try to kill each other.

AoS's pan-dimensional sphere of battle universes feels to me like trying to relate to a pinball machine.

I'm not trying to knock it, it's a cool wizard van aesthetic! I've just bounced off the setting hard, a number of times. I'm actually very excited about the new Hedonites stuff, and will 100% pick some up if they're playable as an Old World Slaanesh cult.