Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Bedtime after spring forward? You get a melatonin! And you get a melatonin! Everybody gets some melatonin!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
We made it through the first year! Everyone has the same number of limbs!

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Shalhavet posted:

Oh no, the kid is supposed to grow an extra foot in the first year though. (Congratulations!)

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it

Shalhavet posted:

Congrats, it's such an amazing feeling (and accomplishment)!

Toddler is currently celebrating the first bedtime after daylight savings by sobbing about needing water as if she were dying of thirst in a desert, despite the fact that we gave her water right as she was going to bed. We're about to neglect our child by enjoying some frozen pizza and an episode of Poker Face.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

daylight savings didn't interfere with wakeup this morning (i split the difference with the time change and woke him up at 7:30 instead of 7), let's hope bedtime goes okay. i chased him all over the back yard for a few hours earlier, maybe he will just go to sleep. toddlers!

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Bedtime was only delayed by about 20 min, which we are ok with, but she’s getting over a cold and is coughing herself to sleep. What a helpless feeling, just hearing tiny coughs for the past hour.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

meanolmrcloud posted:

Bedtime was only delayed by about 20 min, which we are ok with, but she’s getting over a cold and is coughing herself to sleep. What a helpless feeling, just hearing tiny coughs for the past hour.

My 2 year old kid has been coughing all week too. It escalated significantly tonight as soon as we got on a 2 hour glass bottom boat ride into the Gulf of Mexico.

My wife turned to me “oh no we’ve made a huge mistake.”

His whining was calmed down with cheetohs and iPad. He gave a cursory glance to the glass bottom and ignored the jaw dropping sunset.

We got back to the hotel and he was coughing so hard he threw up. I hope he’s not getting sicker but his horrible vacation diet and the boat ride and the car ride and the coughing is probably why he threw up. We will see how he does during the 5 hour car ride tomorrow. God save us all.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

lobster shirt posted:

daylight savings didn't interfere with wakeup this morning (i split the difference with the time change and woke him up at 7:30 instead of 7), let's hope bedtime goes okay. i chased him all over the back yard for a few hours earlier, maybe he will just go to sleep. toddlers!

well, he went to sleep. will he sleep all night? only time will tell...

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

lobster shirt posted:

well, he went to sleep. will he sleep all night? only time will tell...

good luck

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Even waking my son up early from his late nap, he's up an hour past his bedtime. Doot do do do

By bedtime I mean time he usually finally falls asleep, not when we start putting him down because lol lmao

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
My 15 month old has decided that while Daddy generally just gets hugs and some experimental nostril grabbing, anytime he's within reach of Mommy or the nanny, he's going to gouge. Gouge eyes, grab handfuls of face and squeeze (which hurts), grab armfuls of leg and squeeze if he's on the ground, swipe those sharp little fingernails (even when trimmed/ground down) across cheeks. It's bad! He's kind of too young to understand any kind of disciplining, so it's just dealing with it, but it sucks. Everything online agrees it's normal, but I wish it weren't normal.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
my kid got out of bed last night to hand me a booger

pick and flick my dude. I can't believe I need to teach the flick part.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Renegret posted:

my kid got out of bed last night to hand me a booger

pick and flick my dude. I can't believe I need to teach the flick part.

It's this or the booger wall

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Academician Nomad posted:

My 15 month old has decided that while Daddy generally just gets hugs and some experimental nostril grabbing, anytime he's within reach of Mommy or the nanny, he's going to gouge. Gouge eyes, grab handfuls of face and squeeze (which hurts), grab armfuls of leg and squeeze if he's on the ground, swipe those sharp little fingernails (even when trimmed/ground down) across cheeks. It's bad! He's kind of too young to understand any kind of disciplining, so it's just dealing with it, but it sucks. Everything online agrees it's normal, but I wish it weren't normal.

My 19 month old is in a phase where she wakes us up from naps or sleep etc by trying to pry our eyelids open with her tiny claws, and tugs on the ears of everyone, up to and including other babies at the park. When I carry her on my shoulders she also loves to dig her fingers all the way down my ear canals to the ear drums.

I can't wait until she stops :gonk:

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

My 22 month old has suddenly morphed into just a rage demon, it sucks

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

it did not go well last night lol

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

wizzardstaff posted:

My kid, 4 years old, was dropped off at preschool alone today for the first time in almost a year. She's been insisting that my wife come with her every day (and we specifically chose a co-op school so that would be an option) but last night she told us she felt ready to do it alone. I'm apprehensive but also so proud and excited and optimistic.

We’re now three school days in to this pattern and she’s gone alone each time. This weekend she was telling us that she wanted mama to come with her today but later reversed her opinion “so that she has time to work on her quilt”. We’re on the precipice of establishing a real pattern here, it’s great. Glad she loves this school.

(And of course, because we can’t have nice things, the church hosting the preschool has dropped their lease and will be kicking them out at the end of the school year.)

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Our newborn decided to celebrate his 3 month-iversery by proceeding to decide that 2am to 5am was when he wanted to party all of a sudden. Fun night kid, oh hey look it’s my alarm

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Boy I would sure love if my son would stop pulling his dick just out of the top of his diaper in the morning. It so frequently ends with his peeing on himself just a little.

Guess we are going to do exclusively footie PJs for a bit.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Son was yelling DONWANNO every time I tried to do a nap.

Came back from having a poop and he's laying on a pillow on the floor, blanket over him, almost asleep already. And now he's asleep on the floor and I can't figure out if I should put him in bed or if he chose the floor for a reason.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

carrionman posted:

Yeah, the current thinking is that maybe something from my wife's diet is coming through and upsetting her stomach. So we're cutting different foods out to see.
We've spoke to our pediatrician, and it seems to be that they're thinking it's not directly a sleep issue, as she sleeps like a champ during the day.
As evidence, when my wife was sick for a day and didn't eat anything other than toast and water we got a 3hr sleep form the little girl.
It's just a slow process. And I'm so tired

I figured I'd give an update.
We went camping in the weekend with the grandparents, were a bit worried how it would go.
She slept for 3hrs in a row, fed, slept another 3 both nights.
Since we got home she's been sleeping in 2hr stretches, waking for 5min for a feed or just a pat on the head then off for another 2 hrs.
We haven't changed anything so uh... go camping with your infants if they won't sleep? hosed if I know. Hopefully it sticks

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Presumably the type of food your wife ate while out camping was different from what she eats at home too?

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Partner and I took his kiddo to the pier on Sunday. He was full of energy so I kept racing him and exclaiming that he beat me, much to his joy.

Of course then he started exclaiming “DADDY YOU WANNA BEAT ME? DADDY BEAT ME!!!! CHERRY YOU WANNA BEAT ME TOO???”

Honey the word is RACE. The other families are looking at us weird.

MistressMeeps
Dec 27, 2017

carrionman posted:

We went camping in the weekend with the grandparents, were a bit worried how it would go.
Since we got home she's been sleeping in 2hr stretches, waking for 5min for a feed or just a pat on the head then off for another 2 hrs.
We haven't changed anything so uh... go camping with your infants if they won't sleep? hosed if I know. Hopefully it sticks

My daughter had MSPI for the first year of her life. The pediatrician told me it took ~2 weeks of no dairy for me before the cow's milk proteins fully cleared out of my breastmilk. So y'all may have just finally cleared whatever was bothering her?

Glad things are getting better for you! No sleep is so hard on everyone

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

CherryCola posted:

Partner and I took his kiddo to the pier on Sunday. He was full of energy so I kept racing him and exclaiming that he beat me, much to his joy.

Of course then he started exclaiming “DADDY YOU WANNA BEAT ME? DADDY BEAT ME!!!! CHERRY YOU WANNA BEAT ME TOO???”

Honey the word is RACE. The other families are looking at us weird.

Be careful what you wish for, next step will be him explaining to concerned strangers that you beat him because of his race.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Sorry I’m late for work, my daughter had to pick out her own outfit and then dress herself.

E: DST has been absolute hell. Kids were awake until 10:30pm new time and our wake up this morning was 5:30, both kids woke up at separate times in the middle of the night.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Koivunen posted:

Sorry I’m late for work, my daughter had to pick out her own outfit and then dress herself.

Might as well just call out at this point.

Call out tomorrow too for good measure

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

carrionman posted:

Awesome!

Maybe she just outgrew whatever problem it was. Or the air and soundscape were soothing. Or the food thing. Who knows, enjoy!

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I got the dreaded “refused to nap” note from daycare yesterday. I hope today is better!

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

We finally took the twins out of their cribs and put them in toddler beds. Pray for us.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
That lasted all of three nights for us and we put them in separate rooms, one wouldn’t stop loving with the other one.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Long dumb rant.

Hot water heater broke on Monday, on Tuesday the plumber arranged to come today (Wednesday). I was working so my mom came to my house, I told the plumbing company I wasn’t going to be there but she would. The plumber never came, when I got done with work they had left a message that they were on their way and wanted to confirm. I had called to confirm when they opened this morning. When I finally got a hold of someone after like ten calls that went to voicemail, they said since I didn’t pick up my phone they went on to the next job. I was MAD. My mom stuck around for over four hours. Now they are coming tomorrow morning. I wanted to cancel and go with a different company but we are getting another mega snow storm tomorrow.

My kids stink, they need a bath. My dishes are piling up. I’ve taken two ice cold showers, the water is 45 degrees. Hot water is important, people! If it was just me I wouldn’t care as much but I’m not giving my kids an ice bath, and kids go through dishes and laundry crazy fast.

The end. I hope they can fix the problem tomorrow.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

My 2 year old got her first ever ear infection and subsequently, her first ever course of antibiotics. She hardly ate at all at dinner and is wailing from her room. When I asked if her stomach hurt she said yes, but she also replied yes if her hair was purple, so I can’t really trust what she says. She started the amoxicillin at like 10am this morning, so it’s probably not an allergic thing. This sucks, it was like day 5 of infection, we should’ve just let it ride. Not looking forward to 6 more days of upset stomachs.

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 16, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Nearly 2.5yo has started waking up in the middle of the night and "want to go downstair" after "no I want mommy". Ok. So we hang out with her in our room/bed and she's just wailing "I want to go downstair!" big tears. So I take her downstairs (main level of the house) and show her " look it's night time. All the lights are off. The tv is off. Mommy and Daddy are sleeping upstairs. It's dark outside. It's time to sleep
"

"Turn lights on! I no sleep! I wanna watch Mickey mouse. I want a banna- I want a bandaid!"

Ok well a bandaid is a request I can service, got her a bandaid put it on her unharmed arm like a sticker. All is better, for like 10 seconds. I pick her up she starts screaming again about wanting to go downstairs

After like 10 minutes in bed with us she finally chills out and is sleeping

I've seen those "ok to wake" clocks I have one in my Amazon cart. How do I explain to a hysterical toddler that it's night time and it's time to go back to bed? These aren't night terrors she's just awake and fussy

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

meanolmrcloud posted:

My 2 year old got her first ever ear infection and subsequently, her first ever course of antibiotics. She hardly ate at all at dinner and is wailing from her room. When I asked if her stomach hurt she said yes, but she also replied yes if her hair was purple, so I can’t really trust what she says. She started the amoxicillin at like 10am this morning, so it’s probably not an allergic thing. This sucks, it was like day 5 of infection, we should’ve just let it ride. Not looking forward to 6 more days of upset stomachs.

I got so many severe ear infections as a kid I needed tubes in my ears. I became resistant to amoxicillin. My sympathies to your kiddo.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

God drat I hate when they hit you in the face with something and then THEY start crying.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Our two year old has started using every delaying tactic in the book at bedtime. She wants a drink, she's hungry, she's not tired, she wants Mummy, she wants another book etc. It's now an hour and a half ordeal. I managed to negotiate a compromise with her where I would stay in the room in a chair for a few minutes after stories to calm her down. Big mistake, now she wants Mummy to sit in the chair constantly and won't let her leave the room.

I think time to set some firm bedtime boundaries to stop her holding us hostage.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My daughter is guilty of bedtime bloat as well. We've got a sort of diminishing sawtooth pattern where she recognizes the routine, but adds to it. Then it becomes so long we have to address it, which is an emotional inflection point where she'll just lose her poo poo that night and cry or scream then conks out, whatever. Then she drops off for a few nights; last time she just went to bed after teeth brushing without us for a couple nights, then we were back in with a short routine. That started growing.

I know it's going to destroy me when she doesn't want a song/story and it's not just a night off. It's going to be the last time.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
My wife gets the bloat. Daughter started her own bedtime routine for her doll but wouldn't do her own. At one point it mutated into her telling stories in the shower/bath before bed and then singing.

All of it has been fun/hilarious tbh.

I get none of it as I let her do whatever she wants after she brushes her teeth until lights out basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Hadlock posted:

Nearly 2.5yo has started waking up in the middle of the night and "want to go downstair" after "no I want mommy". Ok. So we hang out with her in our room/bed and she's just wailing "I want to go downstair!" big tears. So I take her downstairs (main level of the house) and show her " look it's night time. All the lights are off. The tv is off. Mommy and Daddy are sleeping upstairs. It's dark outside. It's time to sleep
"

"Turn lights on! I no sleep! I wanna watch Mickey mouse. I want a banna- I want a bandaid!"

Ok well a bandaid is a request I can service, got her a bandaid put it on her unharmed arm like a sticker. All is better, for like 10 seconds. I pick her up she starts screaming again about wanting to go downstairs

After like 10 minutes in bed with us she finally chills out and is sleeping

I've seen those "ok to wake" clocks I have one in my Amazon cart. How do I explain to a hysterical toddler that it's night time and it's time to go back to bed? These aren't night terrors she's just awake and fussy

my son is almost 3 and when he wakes up at night he insists on going into the living room and sitting on the couch. what i do make this manageable is just say like "okay we can go sit on the couch but daddy is going to count to 5 and we have to go back to your bed, is that okay?" and then just stick to that: he agrees we can count to five, i sit on the couch, count, and then back to bed. probably helps that i carry him instead of letting him walk. maybe try something like that? i guess it would depend on how agreeable your kid is though lol.