Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

*snickers*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Wow, Amélie Poulain was a KGB spy! This is from the director so it is canon and no takebacks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB_lTTxYSsg

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

they look more like twix to me

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

live with fruit posted:

It'll probably be bad but David Lowery's been able to cash Disney checks and keep his dignity.

He's already got one live action remake under his belt with Pete's Dragon, and that turned out phenomenally.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I don't know if its his scalp or his stache that gives him his power.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Enos Cabell posted:

He's already got one live action remake under his belt with Pete's Dragon, and that turned out phenomenally.

His live action Peter Pan at least looks like a real movie.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Tars Tarkas posted:

Wow, Amélie Poulain was a KGB spy! This is from the director so it is canon and no takebacks

But why?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Timby posted:

Hercules, a Cruella sequel, an Aladdin sequel, The Sword in the Stone, Hunchback of Notre Dame and Robin Hood are all in various stages of pre-production. Snow White and the Lion King prequel come out next year.

Looking up The Sword in the Stone, it seems like it's been half a decade since there was any news on it, and the attached director is currently doing a separate YA medieval fantasy for Netflix, so seems pretty unlikely.

For laughs, they should give it to Guy Ritchie. Or more seriously, just do a full live action Once and Future King.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Let's go the other direction. Make an animated version of The Black Hole.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

I see they're going in on disguises in the next Hitman reboot

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Presto posted:

It's funny to think that a modern Disney remake of The Black Hole would have to go the opposite of the twist and reassure the audience that yes, of course, the crew are just all robots.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/nancy-meyers-rom-com-shelved-netflix-scarlett-johansson-1235544292/

Netflix rejects 150 million dollar romcom. Apparently there are no backend profits with streamed movies, so the stars demand the full bag upfront. God knows how the kitchen would have looked.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

God knows how the kitchen would have looked.

I bet if they paid Nancy Meyers to make a kitchen decoration reality show, it would be a smash hit.

gently caress, I'd watch it.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Because the French.

Presto posted:

I finally watched The Black Hole last year and it is such a bizarre movie I don't know if I actually enjoyed it or if I was just too busy being confused/amazed that Disney made something like it.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

joylessdivision posted:

Because the French.

I finally watched The Black Hole last year and it is such a bizarre movie I don't know if I actually enjoyed it or if I was just too busy being confused/amazed that Disney made something like it.

I unabashedly love The Black Hole and am of the opinion that it is a way better movie than people give it credit for.

Does it stick the landing? Not quite. And it tries to ask some deep philosophical questions that it doesn't really give a good answer to. But it has heart, great model work and a beautiful soundtrack by John Barry.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Bless Jean-Pierre Jeunet.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

This dude writes articles for the SA front page

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

I see they're going in on disguises in the next Hitman reboot

FYI "next Hitman" is pretty much James Bond. IOI is focusing totally on their Bond game. Hopefully the rights owners are more lenient with them than with past developers.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Timby posted:

The Sword in the Stone

Let's get a whole movie about the kid toying with the emotions of a squirrel.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Chairman Capone posted:

Isn't he a chud? I know he did an interview pretty recently about both refusing to apologize for Family Guy insulting people and also complaining about how the show makes fun of Christians.

Eh, might be. Still, he's a good actor, so I'll give him some slack. I guess I am willing to see past those things. It would be another story if I found out he abducts children or something like that.
It's not like say Chris Pratt who isn't even all that good at their job.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Or Rainn Wilson, who was on 3 funny seasons of a 9 season show and decided that means he's enough of an authority to write a book about how America needs to embrace God and holiness to heal.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

DarkSol posted:

I unabashedly love The Black Hole and am of the opinion that it is a way better movie than people give it credit for.

Does it stick the landing? Not quite. And it tries to ask some deep philosophical questions that it doesn't really give a good answer to. But it has heart, great model work and a beautiful soundtrack by John Barry.

I absolutely agree with you about the score, the effects work, even the cast was interesting. I definitely need to watch it again because I went into it totally blind beyond "Weird Disney sci-fi movie that Anthony Perkins was in" and it's such a trip of a movie that I remember finishing it, and not really being able to figure out if I thought it was good or bad. It was interesting for sure and usually when I have that reaction to a movie I give it a second watch to get a better feel for it.

Maybe I'll do that this weekend. Double bill it with Tron, a movie I love more than I should.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I really should watch The Black Hole. I had the cassette tape from the read along book and I listened to that thing a lot. I don't recall ever having the book to go with it though and I've never seen the movie

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

joylessdivision posted:

I absolutely agree with you about the score, the effects work, even the cast was interesting. I definitely need to watch it again because I went into it totally blind beyond "Weird Disney sci-fi movie that Anthony Perkins was in" and it's such a trip of a movie that I remember finishing it, and not really being able to figure out if I thought it was good or bad. It was interesting for sure and usually when I have that reaction to a movie I give it a second watch to get a better feel for it.

Maybe I'll do that this weekend. Double bill it with Tron, a movie I love more than I should.

For being a Disney film, much less their first PG film, The Black Hole is an extremely dark film. Someone getting disemboweled by a humanoid robot with blades? (Why does Maximillian have these in the first place?) Someone else getting blown up in a spaceship? Someone potentially getting lobotomized without anesthesia? A literal or metaphorical Hell? Maximillian Schell being trapped forever in Maximilliian's shell? :v: The Cygnus as a cross between a haunted house and the Nautilus from 20000 Leagues Under the Sea, but in space, with Dr. Reinhart as an insane Captain Nemo?

I think the comparisons that people made when the movie came out (and still make) to Star Wars is unfair and also weak.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

DarkSol posted:

I think the comparisons that people made when the movie came out (and still make) to Star Wars is unfair and also weak.

It’s funny that between The Black Hole and Star Trek TMP, two of the main Star Wars “copycats” were closer to 2001. And the other was a James Bond movie.

I know someone at Paramount claimed the bigger influence on TMP going into production was actually Close Encounters, because it being a hit showed that Star Wars wasn’t just a flash in the pan. And Cubby Broccoli claimed that Moonraker had nothing to do with Star Wars, but was rushed to take advantage of the first space shuttle launch, which was originally scheduled for 1979.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Chairman Capone posted:

It’s funny that between The Black Hole and Star Trek TMP, two of the main Star Wars “copycats” were closer to 2001. And the other was a James Bond movie.

I mean it does sort of make sense, as 2001 was a slower very ideas driven movie where as star wars was a very well done pretty basic fantasy movie. lots of writers and directors are cinema nerds who quite like the former more. Most surprising is the studios okayed them. Particularly Disney. Seem to recall their other films weren't going so hot at the time, and there was at least one higher up who really wanted to take Disney into the bit more mature PG adventure area who was the main one behind it getting green lit.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tars Tarkas posted:

Lmao

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I could have sworn Sebastian was a lobster. No! I Know Sebastian was a lobster. Google images has to be lying to me!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Chairman Capone posted:

I know someone at Paramount claimed the bigger influence on TMP going into production was actually Close Encounters, because it being a hit showed that Star Wars wasn’t just a flash in the pan. And Cubby Broccoli claimed that Moonraker had nothing to do with Star Wars, but was rushed to take advantage of the first space shuttle launch, which was originally scheduled for 1979.

Of the immediate post-Star Wars era of 78/79ish, the only thing of note that really does seem to take heavily from Star Wars is probably Battlestar Galactica. Yeah it’s mormon as hell and episodic like Trek, but most of the main characters are hotshot pilots, Adama has a very Obi-Wan type personality, and the faceless hordes of Cylons are definitely meant to remind you of Stormtroopers.

Not to mention John Dykstra going straight from SW to BSG (and McQuarrie doing concept art) and bringing along a bunch of ILM guys and equipment to do all the modelwork, to the point where Fox tried to sue and Lucas went on to hold a grudge against him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty typical for Hollywood suits to really not understand what the actual appeal of something popular is and just mandate the insertion of random elements from the popular thing.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Again, why when Batman came out, every exec thought we needed to bring back every pulp hero from the 30's, rather than Batman himself being popular since his inception and long since grown past his roots.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Also the movie just being a pretty legitimately good movie. Movie execs seem to be very good at picking the wrong things for what actually made hit movies succeed.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

galagazombie posted:

I could have sworn Sebastian was a lobster. No! I Know Sebastian was a lobster. Google images has to be lying to me!

I mean, he definitely looks more like a lobster than a crab, so I think you can blame the animators for this

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

Interestingly, the launch sequence of the shuttles in Moonraker are actually pretty accurate compared to other movies that try to depict the launch. (And don't use stock footage.)

And I'm honestly kinda skeptical of what Cubby said because it really felt like, for all of the Moore films, the director and producers were always chasing what was popular or in the zeitgeist at the time. (Live and Let Die with blaxploitation films, The Man with the Golden Gun and kung fu films and the real energy crisis (which really dates the film), A View to a Kill and the rise of Silicon Valley, for example.)

I've been toying with the idea of doing a big effort post/thread about The Black Hole for years, but always get intimidated by how well done some of the other OPs are. :cripes:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

DarkSol posted:

Interestingly, the launch sequence of the shuttles in Moonraker are actually pretty accurate compared to other movies that try to depict the launch. (And don't use stock footage.)

And I'm honestly kinda skeptical of what Cubby said because it really felt like, for all of the Moore films, the director and producers were always chasing what was popular or in the zeitgeist at the time. (Live and Let Die with blaxploitation films, The Man with the Golden Gun and kung fu films and the real energy crisis (which really dates the film), A View to a Kill and the rise of Silicon Valley, for example.)

I've been toying with the idea of doing a big effort post/thread about The Black Hole for years, but always get intimidated by how well done some of the other OPs are. :cripes:

Oh yeah, absolutely. I think Cubby was full of poo poo there and just trying to save face. Especially given the Moore track record of chasing relevance (another funny example of which: the original idea for View to a Kill was that the villain would try to divert Halley's Comet, which was approaching in 1986, into hitting Silicon Valley).

And I for one would love to read a long effortpost about The Black Hole! I actually read the novelization first as a kid so then seeing the movie and the visuals/score was even more mind-blowing compared to what I was trying to picture in my head.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Oh for those interested, there's a pretty good in depth look at The Black Hole here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQMWs7IfsyA
It's by Good Bad flicks, which normally looks at horror movie stuff, but yeah goes into quite a bit of details in how it got made and the production and what not.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Chairman Capone posted:

Oh yeah, absolutely. I think Cubby was full of poo poo there and just trying to save face. Especially given the Moore track record of chasing relevance (another funny example of which: the original idea for View to a Kill was that the villain would try to divert Halley's Comet, which was approaching in 1986, into hitting Silicon Valley).

The original idea for View to a Kill was just Goldfinger! It's the exact same plot, except with "gold" scratched out and "microchips" written in in crayon.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Phanatic posted:

The original idea for View to a Kill was just Goldfinger! It's the exact same plot, except with "gold" scratched out and "microchips" written in in crayon.

To be fair, we got a better deal with A View to a Kill in some respects. Christopher Walken is way more charismatic than Gert Fröbe as a Bond villain. Actually kind of foreshadowing the whole tech rear end in a top hat type that we're dealing with now. And at least May Day's about face isn't because of the power of rape.

On the other hand, Roger Moore was really showing his age by then. And I can't decide which title track is "better". Goldfinger is really when a lot of the now classic tropes of the franchise and James Bond character crystalized.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
A View to a Kill has aggressively recognizable stuntpeople and it's especially obvious when Bond is running up and down the stars at the Eiffel Tower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

And I for one would love to read a long effortpost about The Black Hole! I actually read the novelization first as a kid so then seeing the movie and the visuals/score was even more mind-blowing compared to what I was trying to picture in my head.

Thanks for the encouragement! Maybe that's what I need to actually start putting something together. I recently rewatched it in its full HD glory since for the longest time I either watched it on DVD or had memories from VHS and the amount of detail lost in the lower quality/resolution transfers really hurt the film.