Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I'm up to part 5 in NG+ and five star gear doesn't really seem at all necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dendrite
Jun 17, 2005
Surprisingly uninteresting.

Kaldaris posted:

The latency and connection issues are one thing I really hope they fix. Especially after a host rests. I always try to get my friends to chill for a second if I rest because the stage reset seems to make it even worse for a minute or two.

That said, Nioh 2's NG is like training. NG+ is where the game goes "Hey you have a build now? Good. Here's the real game." The last difficulty levels (like, NG+++/++++) are questionably worth it. HP Values get bloated so much it's like wailing on a punching bag for fifteen minutes: The Boss.

hey - if this helps, a buddy and I made a few configuration changes and it was like night and day. If you wanted to give it a try, here's what solved this for us:
- both clients capped at 60 fps
- both clients set to 'prioritize resolution' over 'prioritize fps'

Before this, there were a few spots (looking at you, giant stupid lightning dragon in the middle of a huge open space) that would reliably cause absurd desyncs. After that change, perfectly steady for two 4+ hour sessions.

our completely unsupported theory is that prioritize fps in particular slows down the rate of in-game calcs when the engine thinks that it needs to adjust, and if one client rolls into that (my video card is a little older, for example) while the other does not, you end up seeing a desync and then a whole bunch of absolutely horrific teleporting all over.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I ended NG with a +7 weapon and +3-+5 armor pieces and I still felt like I was doing way too much damage to the final bosses. I can’t even imagine what the game would have been like if I’d actually bothered to optimize at any point.

That being said I won’t be touching NG+ until they patch in some QoL features like comparing gear and a proper level select

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Dendrite posted:

hey - if this helps, a buddy and I made a few configuration changes and it was like night and day. If you wanted to give it a try, here's what solved this for us:
- both clients capped at 60 fps
- both clients set to 'prioritize resolution' over 'prioritize fps'

Before this, there were a few spots (looking at you, giant stupid lightning dragon in the middle of a huge open space) that would reliably cause absurd desyncs. After that change, perfectly steady for two 4+ hour sessions.

our completely unsupported theory is that prioritize fps in particular slows down the rate of in-game calcs when the engine thinks that it needs to adjust, and if one client rolls into that (my video card is a little older, for example) while the other does not, you end up seeing a desync and then a whole bunch of absolutely horrific teleporting all over.

Hey fantastic advice, same advice I gave for my friends and our connections are more or less stable. Problem is connecting to random hosts doesn't solve the issue since you can't exactly communicate the same advice. I've got all my poo poo set to performance except for textures (which are on standard) and I host just fine. Lightning Dragon level and the level with all the rain and boats are the laggiest levels I've played with tons of desyncs for sure.

Even then, resting at a flag during recruitment (not Co-Op) still causes the desyncs and lag after the stage gets reset.

Dendrite
Jun 17, 2005
Surprisingly uninteresting.

Kaldaris posted:

Hey fantastic advice, same advice I gave for my friends and our connections are more or less stable. Problem is connecting to random hosts doesn't solve the issue since you can't exactly communicate the same advice. I've got all my poo poo set to performance except for textures (which are on standard) and I host just fine. Lightning Dragon level and the level with all the rain and boats are the laggiest levels I've played with tons of desyncs for sure.

Even then, resting at a flag during recruitment (not Co-Op) still causes the desyncs and lag after the stage gets reset.

Oh, oof, didn't think about it with random people. Yeah, that'd be wildly frustrating.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Beat Lu Bu on NG+ on the first try. That fight really is 90% just learning the parry timings on his critical moves

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

[1950s eel-based dad joke]
Update: Beat Lü Bu. Game owns.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Man this game has been easy, been playing solo, I thought I would maybe need the allies for the double boss but I got it in my 2nd try. I feel like the regular enemies are harder than the bosses. The bosses spam the red attacks way too much and the parry window is so forgiving you can literally parry twice because some bosses have such long animations.

Definitely would say Nioh, SoP were both harder, the hardest bosses were Zhang Liang and 1st Lu Bu fight but there isn't a gently caress moment like I had with Hino Enma or O&S. That being said the game is so freaking good and fun. Can't wait to see where they go with DLC, hopefully the boss dlc are crazy.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Ulio posted:

Ya I don't know I thought Zhang Liao would be the hardest boss after first fighting him, he had speed, insane range with his long rear end lighting sword. But I kinda ran through him.

Btw is the parry window shorter on NG+?

I thought he was one of the more difficult human 1v1 duels in the game.

By that I mean I also ran through him, but he put up a fight.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
I really hope there's some FreeLC or something that just adds more weapon appearances into the pool. Armor is fine, but weapon selection is criminally tiny.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

RatHat posted:

Beat Lu Bu on NG+ on the first try. That fight really is 90% just learning the parry timings on his critical moves

Yeah the game has the same NG+ feel as Sekiro. You know the timing and just tear everyone a new rear end in a top hat. Not that there's anything wrong with this.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

JBP posted:

Yeah the game has the same NG+ feel as Sekiro. You know the timing and just tear everyone a new rear end in a top hat. Not that there's anything wrong with this.

On the other hand bosses you got by the first time just by tanking their attacks will tear YOU a new rear end in a top hat in NG+ until you learn to fight them properly

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
In the first snow mission going to rescue this guy's son Bofu.

Yeah, Bofu Deez Nutz lmao gotem :bustem:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RatHat posted:

On the other hand bosses you got by the first time just by tanking their attacks will tear YOU a new rear end in a top hat in NG+ until you learn to fight them properly

yeah, NG+ bosses do not gently caress around. had to relearn a bunch of movesets from scratch (re: dong zhuo and zhang jiao both gave me a good clobbering), but that's kind of the fun of NG+ if you breezed through most of NG like i did

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I've haven't been having any problems in NG+. I reckon the first hump will be the lightning guy since he throws a shitload of attacks at you. I was farming Zhao Yun last night 15 levels under rec because I couldn't be bothered with a mission and duels are fun.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

JBP posted:

I've haven't been having any problems in NG+. I reckon the first hump will be the lightning guy since he throws a shitload of attacks at you. I was farming Zhao Yun last night 15 levels under rec because I couldn't be bothered with a mission and duels are fun.

it's been mostly smooth sailing aside from a couple hiccups, but it definitely requires me to play more consistently when it comes to bosses. zones are still mostly the same, and i definitely would not mind some DS2-esque NG+ enemy spawns here and there

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Vermain posted:

it's been mostly smooth sailing aside from a couple hiccups, but it definitely requires me to play more consistently when it comes to bosses. zones are still mostly the same, and i definitely would not mind some DS2-esque NG+ enemy spawns here and there

Oh yeah you have to be switched on. If I get hit I'm in a lot of trouble or sometimes dead.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Gone back and forth on how I feel about this game but after sinking some hours in I'm pretty positive. I'm definitely hopeful this is the "Nioh 1" to an eventual Wo Long 2, because if they can refine the stuff that works and throw out the stuff that doesn't they will have a hell of a game on their hands. Nioh 2 is definitely the high point of their offerings so far and I'd urge anyone to play that before this or SoP but it's also a good example of what they can put out when they refine existing systems

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

goferchan posted:

Gone back and forth on how I feel about this game but after sinking some hours in I'm pretty positive. I'm definitely hopeful this is the "Nioh 1" to an eventual Wo Long 2, because if they can refine the stuff that works and throw out the stuff that doesn't they will have a hell of a game on their hands. Nioh 2 is definitely the high point of their offerings so far and I'd urge anyone to play that before this or SoP but it's also a good example of what they can put out when they refine existing systems

:yeah: Nioh 2 is an upgrade to 1 in gameplay across the board, failing only in story/characters.

Unrelated, but I'm finally starting to get basic heavies like the tigerguys down a bit:
https://twitter.com/TND669/status/1636223885661155328?s=20

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Still pretty early in the game, just beat In Search of the Immortal Wizard which is an S tier level name, but enjoying it so far. Trying to go for a pretty standard "dex build" equivalent, prioritising fire with wood and earth as secondaries. Not sure if that's right as I also have a tendency to mash parry and use up all my spirit lol

Is it me or do the buff spells not really make much of a difference? Been using Water Stance and, uh, the defence one, both seem pretty minimal although the second one letting you armour through attacks is very helpful. Also the Elixir as a buff item seems worthless since it just drains your spirit, what is its actual use?

I've also been sticking with the first guardian spirit since it's the only one that seems to really do much. Qinglong looks cool but seems ineffectual compared to just dropping a big damage burst.

I'm guessing a lot of this stuff is like in Nioh and will be more effective the more my stats increase?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

NG+ Lu Bu is kicking my head in lol. I can't get hit or I die and I always choke. Ah well. He's fun to fight.

E: lol he got his online complaint and I beat him without getting touched next try

JBP fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Mar 16, 2023

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Still pretty early in the game, just beat In Search of the Immortal Wizard which is an S tier level name, but enjoying it so far. Trying to go for a pretty standard "dex build" equivalent, prioritising fire with wood and earth as secondaries. Not sure if that's right as I also have a tendency to mash parry and use up all my spirit lol

Is it me or do the buff spells not really make much of a difference? Been using Water Stance and, uh, the defence one, both seem pretty minimal although the second one letting you armour through attacks is very helpful. Also the Elixir as a buff item seems worthless since it just drains your spirit, what is its actual use?

I've also been sticking with the first guardian spirit since it's the only one that seems to really do much. Qinglong looks cool but seems ineffectual compared to just dropping a big damage burst.

I'm guessing a lot of this stuff is like in Nioh and will be more effective the more my stats increase?

I would peg water as the “dex” phase, since it builds stealth, ranged weapon damage and influences deflect and dodge costs. Water/fire has good support from light weapons, is a natural synergy and will make for a good, light swashbuckler type with a curved or straight saber.

Buffs can be pretty good. Cloud stance is a big reduction, but it’s more a big deal if you have heavy weapons and heavy armor. Weapon elemental buffs are really good.

Qing long is super, super strong. The healing field lets you tank almost anything, and with divine beast gauge buildup on gear as well as the inner breath buff (wood 4), you can build it up really fast.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
Nioh 2 was truly insane with the amount of content in NG+ cycles and with dlc, hope this game can straighten up also. You had graces, demon scrolls, new set bonuses, new enemy placements, etc. You didn't even start running into some of the new mechanics until like NG+3 lol

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Time to hit my super spell. Wait I'm vaguely near a ladder so I guess it's time to use the ladder.

Ok, well now it's time to do some casti- oh no I'm vaguely near a bloodstain so I guess I'm pouring out a dragon flask for the homies.

Perhaps the real fight for spellcasters...is the controls.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Pro-tip: You can jump and grab ladders with the climb button(R2 on controller) rather than needing to start at the bottom. This is especially helpful if enemies are chasing you

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Operant posted:

Nioh 2 was truly insane with the amount of content in NG+ cycles and with dlc, hope this game can straighten up also. You had graces, demon scrolls, new set bonuses, new enemy placements, etc. You didn't even start running into some of the new mechanics until like NG+3 lol

Yeah. Even Nioh 1 had great DLC. I'm expecting this game to be pretty enormous by the end of the year.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
I think this game for me is solidly below nioh 2, but still a good game. Enemy variety is super low, and level design is visually extremely dull sometimes, but nioh 1 and 2 both had those problems. The big thing for me is that the moveset for weapons is extremely flat with the extra moves (martial arts) being somewhat random.

The other thing that bugs the hell out of me is that weapons have consistent scaling with three stats, but which stat they have better scaling in is switched up, and even changes (a lot) as that weapon is leveled up. So you can't say 'I love spears, going to use spears' because not all spears scale with the same stats the same way!

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I have really enjoyed pretty much all of the level design in terms of exploration, connectivity, shortcuts, etc. I find that a ton of fun in Wo Long. Sometimes things feel a little visually same-y but it doesn't bother me.

I've got my Earth/Water build rolling pretty well at this point, at 40 Earth and 25 Water, working toward 40/40 for now. Azure Crescent Glaive for the big bois and Hundred Forged Sabres when I want speed. Stumbled across a Water spell that's basically Bloodhound's Step which is lol. Not a lot of things (at least, not in NG) survive a plunging/backstab critical followed by a couple casts of Imposing Slab. The Bog spell is a lot of fun to slow things down while I pull out the sabres and start dicing them up.

I'm kind of not sure how I want to build my Embedments and may just go for maximum Spirit damage on everything which seems like it could be fun. I'm not really using element application and I'm definitely melee first with spells for support in my playstyle (always am in souls-likes).

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Operant posted:

I think this game for me is solidly below nioh 2, but still a good game. Enemy variety is super low, and level design is visually extremely dull sometimes, but nioh 1 and 2 both had those problems. The big thing for me is that the moveset for weapons is extremely flat with the extra moves (martial arts) being somewhat random.

The other thing that bugs the hell out of me is that weapons have consistent scaling with three stats, but which stat they have better scaling in is switched up, and even changes (a lot) as that weapon is leveled up. So you can't say 'I love spears, going to use spears' because not all spears scale with the same stats the same way!

I agree the weapon move sets are a little disappointing and the random martial arts coupled with poor balance between them hurts them further. I don’t agree with the people in here who say weapons are all interchangeable, but the feeling of identity between different weapons is not very strong.

But, that said, I don’t understand what you mean about scaling. Each weapon class always has a type with one of the classes’ three phases as the primary scaling stat and that doesn’t change with upgrades. The scaling increases, but a primary earth scaling spear will always scale best with earth. As long as you’re willing to invest in two of stats a weapon class scales with, you can definitely use a weapon from that class.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeah the only spells on my wheel are usually the one to run fast, two (sometimes three) elemental weapons so I can apply the second when the first procs and blink. If you have all the elemental weapon buffs equipped and your morale raises to turn them on they make a lovely rainbow light show for a moment, I recommend it.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Just beat snake lady. Had been trying with +1 and +2 gear because I hadn't found the blacksmith at the town. Was getting close but no cigar. Went back and did sidequests and explored the town more and finally beat it.

Although I did feel like I broke her with the wall of rocks I'd summon right before she'd throw one of her snakes in an arc.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Calax posted:

Although I did feel like I broke her with the wall of rocks I'd summon right before she'd throw one of her snakes in an arc.

this is a game with a ruleset that very much encourages you to creatively approach problems, so countering big sweeping attacks with a big pile of exploding rocks is an entirely legitimate way of fighting

the five phases system especially encourages you to think laterally and use it to counteract attacks you might otherwise struggle with. any elemental projectile (aside from red attacks) can be countered by a damaging spell or persistent ground effect of its overcoming phase, so those big poison pools she shoots out (and the projectiles that precede them) can be destroyed if you hit them with a fire-based spell

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I really like the system that as long as you don't rest at a battle flag, you regen health and get your flasks back. It makes for a really fun way to go through a level.

The only downside is that I like to go through levels with NPC companions, and getting invaded screws that up sometimes. Just had an invasion earlier where the invader killed both my NPC bros at the top of a ladder and camped them until they despawned. I won the 1v1 afterwards, but it was frustrating because I had to backtrack to resummon them (I need Cao Cao to point out flags for me, and I want their armor/weapons), and now I have to go back through the enemies to get to where I left off.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Do the NPC companions increase enemy health/damage, anyone know how much by? Probably going to keep using one anyway but not sure if I'm making bosses stronger by doing so

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Do the NPC companions increase enemy health/damage, anyone know how much by? Probably going to keep using one anyway but not sure if I'm making bosses stronger by doing so

Don’t think so. Co-op might though

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Calax posted:

Just beat snake lady. Had been trying with +1 and +2 gear because I hadn't found the blacksmith at the town. Was getting close but no cigar. Went back and did sidequests and explored the town more and finally beat it.

Snake Lady in NG+ made me want to tear my hair out. I did beat her in two tries, but she ate up so many potions. That tail whip just happens so fast, it's hard to react to. I had to resort to just blocking it.

Dirk the Average posted:

(I need Cao Cao to point out flags for me, and I want their armor/weapons), and now I have to go back through the enemies to get to where I left off.

You can embed 'Enemy Detection' and 'Marking Flag Detection' on both your ranged weapons and it'll do much the same as Cao Cao is doing for you right now. I'm not sure how values are introduced to the embed table for selection, my suspicion is that you have to have seen it on a weapon at least once for the non-rare affixes, so those options may not be available for you right away.

Kaldaris fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 16, 2023

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

[1950s eel-based dad joke]

Kaldaris posted:

made me want to tear my hair out

Kaldaris posted:

I did beat her in two tries

lmao we are not playing the same game

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

PatentPending posted:

lmao we are not playing the same game

Those two tries took me awhile, during NG+ runs I really try to get the deflect timing windows down during boss battles. So it's a lot of waiting around and not going full HAM on the offense while I try to learn. Took me about five attempts to get Lu Bu's horse form down pat for deflect timing, I just gave up during the snake because one of her tail whips clocks a spin with like a 0.3 second windup that was irritating the hell out of me trying to nail the deflect timing on.

It's sort of like replaying a rhythm game stage over and over again because you're not getting a perfect, and all because of one or two notes. It's a different kind of frustration than the "I can't beat this frustration."

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Kaldaris posted:

Those two tries took me awhile, during NG+ runs I really try to get the deflect timing windows down during boss battles. So it's a lot of waiting around and not going full HAM on the offense while I try to learn. Took me about five attempts to get Lu Bu's horse form down pat for deflect timing, I just gave up during the snake because one of her tail whips clocks a spin with like a 0.3 second windup that was irritating the hell out of me trying to nail the deflect timing on.

It's sort of like replaying a rhythm game stage over and over again because you're not getting a perfect, and all because of one or two notes. It's a different kind of frustration than the "I can't beat this frustration."

No comment on your personal feelings re: this type of challenge, but apropos of it, I’m a big fan of the fine-tuning and perfecting grind. Measurable progress is a hell of a drug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

the gank squad was cool, the worst part was getting a fatal strike on one of them and trying to target and get to them before it reset