Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

axolotl farmer posted:

Nice dogwhistle with the sneakers on the power line.

Not sure this is a very good dogwhistle at all. I don't think I've ever lived in a neighborhood with overhead lines that doesn't have a pair of sneakers hanging on an overhead line somewhere. Hell, I've seen it in the middle of a US Army base. People just like throwing them up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Not sure this is a very good dogwhistle at all. I don't think I've ever lived in a neighborhood with overhead lines that doesn't have a pair of sneakers hanging on an overhead line somewhere. Hell, I've seen it in the middle of a US Army base. People just like throwing them up there.

The pearl clutchers think it’s a way that gangs mark territory.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Stultus Maximus posted:

The pearl clutchers think it’s a way that gangs mark territory.

Oh for gently caress's sake people still believe that?

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
As much as I hate defending Stiglich and need a shower now, he works for the Philly Inquirer and those are the Liberty Place towers,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_Place

Kammat fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 15, 2023

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

There are probably still people who believe in sex bracelets and rainbow parties.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Stultus Maximus posted:

There are probably still people who believe in sex bracelets and rainbow parties.

That sounds like a good time. What were those supposed to be?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That sounds like a good time. What were those supposed to be?

High school party where the girls wear different color lipsticks and blow all the boys leaving a rainbow dick. This mostly reveals how many people have no idea how oral sex works.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

The conservative world view included seeing profound, hidden danger in the most innocuous of things. It's a way of justifying bigotry, because they just know "those people" are really out to get them. Like that Wyatt Mann Cartoon, "Around Black, Never Relax."

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

Bored? Need something to read while camping Time-Lost Protodrake?

www.vicfanfic.com

HootTheOwl posted:

Seeing these back to back made me lol. Why isn't he doing more about banks? No not regulation tho. Something else I mean.

I didn't notice it until you pointed it out, but... WTF does he want other than more bank regulation?

What else is there? More 2008-style bank bailouts (as opposed to the current plan, which allows the bank shareholders/creditors to take a haircut but immediately restores uninsured depositors)? What about moral hazard?

Kellies Nomination: Most Hypocritical Combo

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

AveMachina posted:

I find Hitch's comics incredibly hard to look at, so I fixed the skew and it's revealing.

Folks, your protagonists: a bobble-headed Ronald Reagan, and a couple who is either an old man with cherubism and his far younger gargoyle wife, or grandparents rear end-grabbing.

Also this

That's actually so much easier to look at. It's still hideous, but it doesn't send my eye sliding right off the page

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Stultus Maximus posted:

High school party where the girls wear different color lipsticks and blow all the boys leaving a rainbow dick. This mostly reveals how many people have no idea how oral sex works.

That's great.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Victar posted:

I didn't notice it until you pointed it out, but... WTF does he want other than more bank regulation?

What else is there? More 2008-style bank bailouts (as opposed to the current plan, which allows the bank shareholders/creditors to take a haircut but immediately restores uninsured depositors)? What about moral hazard?

Kellies Nomination: Most Hypocritical Combo

He wants Biden Bad and Wokes to Go Broke

It's not his job to be consistent but usually they're not so close.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I like how the MAGA Shaman has gone from “This guy is crazy/an obvious FBI plant he’s not with us!” to “An innocent MAGA patriot tricked by the evil FBI, he’s one of us!” because Tucker Carlson ran obvious bullshit

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

We're allowed to suggest new Kellies categories, right?

Kellies nomination: gently caress you, [Artist Name] -Bigotry

Randalor fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 4, 2023

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Randalor posted:

Kellies nomination: gently caress you, [Artist Name]

I mean yeah that should be a category

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Literally every cartoonist would wind up nominated.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Murdstone posted:

Literally every cartoonist would wind up nominated.

Yes but for a different comic and the most deserving of it would win.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Victar posted:

Most Hypocritical Combo

I can do a special K for this, but we're not doing a whole set because multiple comics in one entry requires a lot of hand-recoding things, sorry.

Randalor posted:

gently caress you, [Artist Name]

By all means, go for it- it's pretty nonspecific (and close to Worst Overall), but on the flipside, it's a pretty common refrain year over year. I think we've had special Ks for this each year I've run it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

By all means, go for it- it's pretty nonspecific (and close to Worst Overall), but on the flipside, it's a pretty common refrain year over year. I think we've had special Ks for this each year I've run it.

It was more of a situation where it wasn't necessarily the worst (it may not even be in the top 5 that we've seen this year from Stiglich) but just that... "perfect" combination of dogwhistles and outdated references where your only initial reaction is to want to tell the author to gently caress off.

I also want to nominate Tatsuya for a lifetime achievement award in the category, otherwise I'd just be nominating every Sinfest Sunday.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on choppy waters with Braverman and Hunt – Home secretary accused of cruelty in illegal migration bill as chancellor prepares for budget"

Telegraph:

Jeremy Hunt to announce 30 hours of free childcare for one and two-year-olds in Budget

Matt:

Pictured: Domino's pizza fascinator steals show at Cheltenham Ladies' Day

Independent:

Times:

Young parents and over-50s will be beneficiaries of Hunt’s billions

Evening Standard:

London strikes latest LIVE: Tens of thousands take part in central London protest

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

China Daily

SVB's domino effect by Luo Jie

Le Monde

Chine : Xi Jinping tout-puissant/China: Xi Jiping All Powerful by Ahmed Rahma from Turkey

by Urbs from France
The Retirement Reform will pass
"No matter what you doubt!"

A play on quoiqu'on en dise/No matter what you say.

Charlie Hebdo

Retirement at 64
Vote with your hand held high!

The gesture they're making is insulting in France, not unlike the middle finger. I think it's universal these days? Like a middle finger.

MIVILUDES (Mission interministérielle de vigilance et de lutte contre les dérives sectaires/Interministerial Mission of Vigilance and Combat against Sectarian Drifts) is a government agency that is supposed to observe and analyze the phenomenon of cult movements, decide how to deal with them, inform the public about them, and help any victims. The CH articles seems to report on them becoming rather toothless.

The next drawings accompany interview with the writers of an investigative BD about the lack of attention being paid to babies being born armless in France.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Even the bad French cartoons are better than the Anglo ones…

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Having posted these for 3 months now the Charlie Hebdo team are all proficient cartoonists for the most part. They've got a very poor taste of humor and are edgy as poo poo but I can't fault them on not being able to draw. The cartoonists Le Monde goes with are all generally fine. I'd have to check but I think the most common ones from the we get are Chappatte and Herrmann from Switzerland and Urbs from France. Urbs I find to be generally bad. His drawings are "stylistic" scribbles and the jokes are pretty lame along with little commentary. It's not bad in the way some bad Anglo cartoonists are and none of them, including Urbs, are offensive to the degree we can get from our usuals.

China Daily, being propaganda, has some pretty stupid messaging even if American Imperialism is bad, but what impresses me the most, is how good their team of artists is, even if at times their metaphors aren't visually great.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

(Former Labor prime minister) Paul Keating savages AUKUS nuclear submarine deal as Labor's worst since conscription (ABC).

Rowe:

Dyson:

Wilcox:

Katauskas:

Le Lievre:

Lethbridge:

Spooner:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The China Daily ones are just too one-note. There is never any surprise there, or any insight. They feel like they are planned by committee and stamped out in a cartoon factory. Competently drawn but utterly bereft of soul.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Antigravitas posted:

The China Daily ones are just too one-note. There is never any surprise there, or any insight. They feel like they are planned by committee and stamped out in a cartoon factory. Competently drawn but utterly bereft of soul.

That's exactly what they are according to one account posted earlier ITT.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

It’s the competence I find all the more impressive since they really don’t have to be to accomplish their job.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

That's exactly what they are according to one account posted earlier ITT.

This was my post, I'm going to try to find the source again right now:

Discendo Vox posted:

I recently found a mid-length graphic depiction by, iirc, an australian cartoonist who had the chance to talk with one of the China Daily cartoonists about their work- specifically the lead of their cartooning team. Regrettably I can't find it atm. Among the information disclosed, the cartoonist indicates that they're working in a team studio under his supervision, and that all cartoons are produced under tight deadline and require advance review by managers from the party, which means that if one is rejected, they have to revise them with virtually zero time. This is likely a factor in how screwy the China Daily cartoons are: the cartoonists are pressured to "play it safe" by repeating the exact messages intended for distribution in that cycle over and over, and everyone involved has very little perspective of their target audience's viewpoints and reasoning outside the state-controlled media bubble in China (and, of course, if they did, they can't safely exercise it)! The result is really technically skilled people producing propaganda that is, in function, frequently reflective of their domestic information limitations to the point of being completely ineffective.

In retrospect it's clear that the dude was also trying to recruit the interviewing cartoonist to work for them as a domestic proxy, so his statements (I hear you're currently unemployed, by the way here's a big glossy book of our output, you should share it with your friends) have to be taken with caution.

Here it is:
https://junkee.com/80462/80462

Note it's from 2016, when China Daily was much more actively inserting material into places like the Washington Post, and the Australian author is, unfortunately, remarkably credulous.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 15, 2023

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Antigravitas posted:

I really should put together some KuKyRyniks compilation for a glimpse of proper totalitarian propaganda.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Clay Bennett

Jeff Stahler

Matt Davies

Lee Judge

Mike Smith

Kirk Walters

Jimmy Margulies

Ed Gamble

David M. Hitch

Mike Peters

Dave Whamond

Bill Bramhall

Drew Sheneman

Adam Zyglis

Dave Granlund

David Horsey

David Horsey posted:

Thanks to the big government that Republicans claim to hate so much, the latest banking crisis seems to be coming to a soft landing.

The Biden administration has announced that the federal government will cover the deposits of all customers who have entrusted their money to Silicon Valley Bank. That is good news for numerous tech firms and winery operations in Washington who feared SVB’s sudden collapse would wipe out their businesses.

SVB was operating in a risky sector, focusing on loans to start-ups with high chances of failure. Prudence would suggest the bank’s management team might have wanted to keep more cash around in case too many people tried to retrieve their deposits all at once, but they did not. What they did do, however, was lobby Congress to loosen the regulations imposed in the Obama years after the horrendous banking disaster of 2008. Ten years later, thanks to Donald Trump and a Republican-controlled Congress, SVB and other aggressive bankers got their wish and the regulations were relaxed.

Now, with the sudden failure of SVB and a couple of other banks, we see the predictable result. Will Republicans finally learn a lesson from this? That is highly unlikely. The loudest voices in the GOP are pushing a ludicrous assessment of the situation: SVB failed because it was too “woke.”

Meanwhile, in the rational world, Brett Greene, founder of New Tech Northwest, a Seattle-based “meet-up” community for tech, raised a good question in a Times interview: “Will the (venture capitalists) who created the crisis and the SVB executives who reportedly gave themselves bonuses just hours before the crash face any consequences?”

That question has yet to be answered, but, if the past is any guide, it seems doubtful. It is easier to imagine that the failed SVB financial geniuses, or bankers just like them, will soon be lobbying Congress for even more banking rules to be eliminated. And, if Republicans are in charge, we know how that will turn out because we have seen it over and over again.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Well, yes. This is America, the Constitution guarantees those.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

almost feel like 'rare good bennet' should be an award nomination at this point

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The new mario movie's taken a turn.

Hm, yeah, the lying MSM. gently caress you very much, Kirk.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Horsey's comics on national issues are usually correct, but when it comes to local he warps into the worst, racist, conservative NIMBY of all time.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Sending the US military into Mexico to fight the drug cartels is one of the stupidest goddamn ideas any politician has ever had in US history, so it's no surprise Ed Gamble thinks it's a good idea.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Chip Bok

Michael Ramirez

Mike Luckovich

Steve Benson

Steve Breen

Steve Kelley

Tom Stiglich

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I thought the Branco was incomprehensible, then I saw that viscerally unsettling Benson.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Stiglich is on a tear using beloved media to mouthpiece his terrible opinons.

I mean sure government isn’t working super hard on equal gender pay but he’s the last person I want to hear that from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also when was Charlotte's family nazis, is that a Peanuts lore I missed?

Skios posted:

Michael Ramirez

oh poo poo i meant to call it a bad thing but somehow the thing i drew came out obviously good, better add a label so everyone knows medicine is bad

Okay, uh, regulations stifle innovation, that's a thing people say. poo poo, let's just say it gets in the way of availability, too, no one's actually going to bother reading anything past "thing bad," least of all me.