Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/PeImeniPusha/status/1636191896556154881

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

Right, but you have to think of it from the perspective of Imperial Japan. Breslau, Dunkirk, Lorient and the Courland Pocket holding out until May 8th did absolutely nothing for Germany, whatsoever. They were all bypassed, the Germans took atrocious military and civilian casualties holding on to them, the war was lost - but I'm sure you could say from Japan's perspective it was advantageous or something. Not a perfect 1:1 but my point is Ukraine being reduced to a noncontiguous series of encircled cities while refusing to surrender would not help them, but may still be the direction in which things are pushed.

I'm sure there would be a great media narrative around it, though I'm not sure what, but from NATO's perspective, if they can't be Brave Little Belgium, or Vietnam, then Ukraine still might have some use as Grozny, and they won't pass it up.

Granted, I guess you could argue what would stall Russian forces longer? I mean you could argue the fortress cities (especially Courland) trapped many more professional soldiers the Germans needed to hold their front line and that bypassing them gave the Soviets a net advantage.

If your imperial Japan on the sidelines, you might have said: "No you dummy, get those forces out of there and try to put them in front of Berlin!" The Russians were forced to take Grozny, they didn't have a choice, and yet Ukraine is quite a large country still. I would say it is fairly situational.

Also, there is the whole Finland thing which obviously the US is pushing for as hard as they can. Erdogan now is talking like he wants to play ball, and yet the last time there could be a vote would be mid-April and a Turkish president can pocket a bill for 3 months...basically until after the election. The US obviously is pushing Finnish entry for a reason, and while it has been talked up that there is "no way" the Finns would host American warheads, it seems like it is the most straightforward play.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

The Lion of Damascus has called it! :eyepop:

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

the bear and the lion

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Starsfan posted:

My recollection of the scandal that forced him to resign was that he publicly admitted (in response to the missile hitting that apartment) that the Ukrainian army didn't have the capability to shoot down certain types of Russian missiles, which ran counter to the Ukrainian government narrative that Ukraine was shooting down all the Russian missiles. There was an uproar over him admitting weakness and then his attempt to salvage the narrative made the situation worse by revising his statements to clarify that the army could shoot down the missiles and in fact the reason that the missile hit the apartment building was because the army intercepted it on it's way to it's real target, which ran counter to the Ukrainian government narrative that the Russians had intentionally targeted the apartment as a war crime.

So he was caught in a no win situation between two opposing propaganda narratives.

Still bizarre how quickly he became the pro-Russia guy after being the #1 propaganda dude for Ukraine lol.. There were rumors when he was fired it was to basically run as a controlled opposition figure to Zelensky in the upcoming election.. Can't see that happening now.

**This guy gives of a massive Anthony Scaramucci vibe to me and the fact that he was the mouthpiece of the Ukrainian administration for like 9 months instead of 17 days or w/e probably says all you need to know about the level the Ukrainian government is operating at.

thanks for this, it's informative!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Starsfan posted:

My recollection of the scandal that forced him to resign was that he publicly admitted (in response to the missile hitting that apartment) that the Ukrainian army didn't have the capability to shoot down certain types of Russian missiles, which ran counter to the Ukrainian government narrative that Ukraine was shooting down all the Russian missiles. There was an uproar over him admitting weakness and then his attempt to salvage the narrative made the situation worse by revising his statements to clarify that the army could shoot down the missiles and in fact the reason that the missile hit the apartment building was because the army intercepted it on it's way to it's real target, which ran counter to the Ukrainian government narrative that the Russians had intentionally targeted the apartment as a war crime.

So he was caught in a no win situation between two opposing propaganda narratives.

Still bizarre how quickly he became the pro-Russia guy after being the #1 propaganda dude for Ukraine lol.. There were rumors when he was fired it was to basically run as a controlled opposition figure to Zelensky in the upcoming election.. Can't see that happening now.

**This guy gives of a massive Anthony Scaramucci vibe to me and the fact that he was the mouthpiece of the Ukrainian administration for like 9 months instead of 17 days or w/e probably says all you need to know about the level the Ukrainian government is operating at.

Basically, he became the Ukrainian Girkin, the second that he had no place in the administration, he rhetorically turned as fast as possible to try to build up his own narrative. I think he is uh taking a bit more of a risk though. (Also, honestly, the stuff that Girkin/Merz puts out is...more nonsensical but I digress.)

Granted, I think there are plenty of Ukrainians with positions in power that know what is going on but they are all banking on keeping their vacation homes in the Caymans.

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

Assad to Putin: :glomp:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Arestovych is just some random dude, nothing he says means anything. His only value is in people believing he might matter at all.

Decades ago he was hanging out with Dugin talking about how the orange revolution was a catholic attempt to destroy slavic orthodoxy.

He is either going on about naval gazing philosophical bullshit, or posting photoshops and memes on his social media.

He is full of poo poo, everyone knows it. President's buddy from the comedy group cracks jokes about how full of poo poo he is when performing for the troops.

Taking a pro Russia position is how you do controlled opposition in Ukraine right now. There's plenty of people fed up with this war and the cracks in society are becoming more apparent. Those people need an outlet. One besides just yelling at each other in public about how hosed everything is.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 04:48 on Mar 16, 2023

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Assad must go... into Putin's warm embrace

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://tsn.ua/ru/ukrayina/v-zhitom...ya-2285947.html

quote:

In Zhytomyr region, three Putinists were informed on suspicion: praising Russia and justifying its actions

While pre-trial investigations were completed, indictments were sent to court.

Three residents of Zhytomyr region, supporters of the "Russian peace", were informed of suspicion. Two residents of Korosten and Zhitomir districts and Zhitomir resident supported the actions of the aggressor country in Ukraine.

About this "Public" told the press officer of the SBU in Zhytomyr region Irina Martynyuk.

Thus, one suspect, a resident of the village Gladkovichi of Korosten district, generally praised the Russian Federation and its leadership in the full-scale invasion of Ukraine. In particular, once in the village bread store, he urged local residents and other customers to support the occupiers. They said, 'Only Russia will bring order and establish peace in Ukraine.

"When he failed to convince those present, the agitator made his final 'argument' that where the Rashists 'bombed Ukrainians - it wasn't enough, need to bomb more,'" Irina Martynyuk told me.

Similar Kremlin narratives were spread by a native of Donetsk living in Zhytomyr. In the park, the handyman told everyone present that it was allegedly "the Ukrainian authorities and the AFU came to the Russian city of Donetsk in 2014 and unleashed the war."

"He generally claimed that 'there is no Ukrainian nation: there are Khokhlys, and they must be strangled, killed, and destroyed. During an argument with those around him, the man assured that Zhytomyr was also part of the Russian empire, and then called on the current president of Russia." Putin to come to the territory of Ukraine and destroy it," said Iryna Martyniuk.

A native of Arkhangelsk Oblast, who moved to one of the villages of Zhytomyr District in the 1990s, was also involved in propaganda. Despite his long residence in Ukraine, the Russian did not change his citizenship, nor did he lose his "Russian-imperial" ideology.

"In conversations with his fellow villagers, the man claimed that "soon Russian troops will kick out all the Nazi power that rules Ukraine." He was also fond of the political top of the aggressor state and called for the killing of Ukrainians themselves because 'they are all Banderites,'" Martynyuk said.

The first two Putinists were reported as suspected of collaborative activities. The Russian is suspected of "justification, recognition of legitimate armed aggression of the Russian Federation against Ukraine." While pre-trial investigations have been completed, the indictments were sent to court.

We will remind, law enforcement officers detained a 42-year-old resident of the village Gusinka Kupyanskogo district of Kharkiv region. The woman is suspected of involvement in assistance to the Russian troops. The intruder also corrected enemy missile strikes. The woman gave them data on the accuracy of missile arrivals at the places where the AFU ammunition was stored.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Lostconfused posted:

Decades ago he was hanging out with Dugin talking about how the orange revolution was a catholic attempt to destroy slavic orthodoxy.

Well? Maidan seems to have been.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I forget the details, the whole thing is on youtube somewhere.

But I mean he was going about how it's the orange revolution because of the significance of orange to who is it Lutherans? Somebody else? The conference was called anti-orange eurasian movement or something, so he got philosophical about it.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

archangel oblast sounds pretty cool. shame about their government running a witch hunt

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Oh lol machine translation.

That's Arkhangelsk in Russia, they resettled from there to Ukraine. Although yeah Russia is also starting to get serious about attempted sabotage.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

I forget the details, the whole thing is on youtube somewhere.

But I mean he was going about how it's the orange revolution because of the significance of orange to who is it Lutherans? Somebody else? The conference was called anti-orange eurasian movement or something, so he got philosophical about it.

what, an orange revolution like william of fuckin orange??

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Internationally recognised borders. Take that The West (tm)!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Jazerus posted:

what, an orange revolution like william of fuckin orange??

As in Martin Luther I guess https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vPg_sVTbEA&t=1724s

Edit: lol he also mentions the age of Aquarius. This is all so far beyond me.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
syria is going to be soooo sanctioned when the west catches wind of this deceit!! you'll rue the day assad!! :argh:

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

This plays in my head every time I see this image.

https://youtu.be/uLeAot4Zrxo

So must it for you as well.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Warms your heart doesn't it? It's great to see students so attentive to their lessons.

Certainly beats being told about dead kings in the 1300s by someone reading from a dusty textbook.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

DancingShade posted:

Warms your heart doesn't it? It's great to see students so attentive to their lessons.

Certainly beats being told about dead kings in the 1300s by someone reading from a dusty textbook.

Young Pinoeers pretty much did the same thing. I think every pre-teen knew how to field strip a rifle.

I don't think the Russians are that different, they would be sending teenagers into battle when pressed.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 08:16 on Mar 16, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There is no culture on earth that would do any different when pressed

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Slavvy posted:

There is no culture on earth that would do any different when pressed

I would say in a hypothetical sense...except the part about that the Ukrainians probably could sign a peace treaty at any point. I think this is primarily a "voluntary" existential war, one of the big reasons it is indefensible on the part of Kiev.

Most nations would send in teenagers in a existential war if they were on their last legs, I don't know if most would under the conditions Ukraine is doing so however.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
https://twitter.com/azgeopolitics/status/1636253556482138112?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

god drat the ukranians are reaching insane levels of casualties, theyve lost so many people :smith:

if they dont succeed in their supposed next offensive theyre 100% toast

i genuinely wonder what russia is planning if anything.

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 08:42 on Mar 16, 2023

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Al-Saqr posted:

https://twitter.com/azgeopolitics/status/1636253556482138112?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

god drat the ukranians are reaching insane levels of casualties, theyve lost so many people :smith:

Yeah, if even the US is admitting the Ukrainians took 100,000+ KIA then it must be really bad.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
I imagine they're planning more of the same if ukraine is intent on feeding into the bakhmut grinder. this war is so stupid

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Horizon Burning posted:

I imagine they're planning more of the same if ukraine is intent on feeding into the bakhmut grinder. this war is so stupid

Admittedly, I don't know how many troops the Russians are going to capture in the end since I think every AFU unit left in Bakhmut is going to be ground down to a nub.

But yeah, I don't think 150-175k Ukrainian KIA is impossible at this point

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
war, huh (good god)

what is it good for!?

building a separation between the eastern and western economies, huh (yeah, huh)

war!

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Al-Saqr posted:

I don't think the next big offensive will materialize in any meaningful way unless Russia commits huge idiotic strategic mistakes again (which is not out of the question given current Russian leadership). The west has simply not given enough materiel to Ukraine for that to be possible with the manpower now available. The manpower and hardware reserved for it will probably just be used to hold the lines and maybe do minor local defensive counteroffensives to overextensions by Russia.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
we've learned that in a situation of a near-peer proxy war, the west is extremely cheap, and doesn't have an exit plan besides indefinite attrition

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
hmmm a pretty severe warning coming out of russia, maybe theyll hit the Ukranian MoD and presidential palace?

https://twitter.com/azgeopolitics/status/1636276075545128960?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Zudgemud posted:

I don't think the next big offensive will materialize in any meaningful way unless Russia commits huge idiotic strategic mistakes again (which is not out of the question given current Russian leadership). The west has simply not given enough materiel to Ukraine for that to be possible with the manpower now available. The manpower and hardware reserved for it will probably just be used to hold the lines and maybe do minor local defensive counteroffensives to overextensions by Russia.

The Ukrainians may still try something, but the hodgepodge of forces and equipment they can put together probably isn't going to generate more than local success. I could see something like Kherson happen where they break the frontline, initially take a village or two, and then get blasted from all sides until they run out of steam. Speaking of Kherson, it seems like Ukrainian forces on the Western bank are getting hit hard, it turns out that the Russians by retreating across the river gave themselves a natural defensive barrier that has allowed them to use the advantage in artillery and there isn't much that the Ukrainians can do about it.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

No way are they going to strike the USA.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
they mean inside Ukraine

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
100,000 deaths is what, like half a million casualties? gently caress this sucks.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Without referencing an actual study,I believe the officially published USA death:wounded in action ratio in Iraq/Afghanistan was about 1:8. So with US medicine and medics in the middle east you'd have 1 dead soldier for 8 wounded. half a million casualties sounds like a fairly reasonable estimate if indeed 100k have been killed. a tragic amount of human life lost/wounded, in my personal opinion.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Weka posted:

100,000 deaths is what, like half a million casualties? gently caress this sucks.

Probably around 400-450,000 or so and there may be the minimum, it has been a horrendous cynical war.

palindrome posted:

Without referencing an actual study,I believe the officially published USA death:wounded in action ratio in Iraq/Afghanistan was about 1:8. So with US medicine and medics in the middle east you'd have 1 dead soldier for 8 wounded. half a million casualties sounds like a fairly reasonable estimate if indeed 100k have been killed. war is hell :(

I have seen 3-3.5 being used in the current conflict, possibly do less access medical care and also the high-intensity nature of combat. We may not know without a more indepth post-war investigation.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 09:44 on Mar 16, 2023

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

hmmm a pretty severe warning coming out of russia, maybe theyll hit the Ukranian MoD and presidential palace?

https://twitter.com/azgeopolitics/status/1636276075545128960?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

...wait have they not been hitting that stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I found this blog post on it by some American expert who says the 3:1 ratio is WW2. He's been using 4:1 based on the DPR's stats.

http://www.dupuyinstitute.org/blog/2022/06/06/wounded-to-killed-ratios-in-ukraine-in-2022/