Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

CODChimera posted:

...wait have they not been hitting that stuff?

in a war you don't actually want to kill the enemy top leadership for a whole bunch of reasons, especially not when they might be replaced by a more competent lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

I would say in a hypothetical sense...except the part about that the Ukrainians probably could sign a peace treaty at any point. I think this is primarily a "voluntary" existential war, one of the big reasons it is indefensible on the part of Kiev.

Most nations would send in teenagers in a existential war if they were on their last legs, I don't know if most would under the conditions Ukraine is doing so however.

Ukraine can't sign a peace treaty with anyone. They have no self determination as a nation anymore.

Someone else, unnamed, could make them sign one. Sure. But another party wouldn't trust the paper it was written on so its a moot point.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Weka posted:

I found this blog post on it by some American expert who says the 3:1 ratio is WW2. He's been using 4:1 based on the DPR's stats.

http://www.dupuyinstitute.org/blog/2022/06/06/wounded-to-killed-ratios-in-ukraine-in-2022/

dupuyinstitute? more like dupedbyputinstitute

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

DancingShade posted:

Ukraine can't sign a peace treaty with anyone. They have no self determination as a nation anymore.

Someone else, unnamed, could make them sign one. Sure. But another party wouldn't trust the paper it was written on so its a moot point.

I would say the Ukrainian leadership still has agency even if they put their country in a tremendous bind.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

CODChimera posted:

...wait have they not been hitting that stuff?

russia has been really strange in the way theyve been practicing this war america wouldve flattened them by now

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
ukraine could definitely sign a peace treaty, its just that their government doesn't want to

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

hmmm a pretty severe warning coming out of russia, maybe theyll hit the Ukranian MoD and presidential palace?

https://twitter.com/azgeopolitics/status/1636276075545128960?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

NAFO will be compromised to a permanent end

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

crepeface posted:

dupuyinstitute? more like dupedbyputinstitute

I trust them because their website looks like it's on geocities so their federal contracts are probably for real research rather than propaganda "research".

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Al-Saqr posted:

russia has been really strange in the way theyve been practicing this war america wouldve flattened them by now

it's good. decapitating Ukrainian leadership would result in a horrible humanitarian disaster that Russia would have to deal with on their borders.

America's dumb poo poo approach didn't help them in Afghanistan long term.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

crepeface posted:

it's good. decapitating Ukrainian leadership would result in a horrible humanitarian disaster that Russia would have to deal with on their borders.

America's dumb poo poo approach didn't help them in Afghanistan long term.

Yeah, and in all honesty... do the Russians really want to get rid of these guys all things considered?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Piss tape confirmed

https://twitter.com/azgeopolitics/status/1636305001336143872?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

america got owned by an air slav squat

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
https://twitter.com/JB34492719/status/1636306051946389504?s=20

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

oh, so the intent is to stall out the engines on the drone by dumping fuel from the jet around the drone and clogging the drone's air intake, like dunking an air filter in motor oil?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

THIS loving RULES

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
it's lame tbh. just shoot it

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
lmao. That's some good hotdogging.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
pilots across the world are retarded and are mad as hell top gun isnt real lol

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
PISS TAPE IS REAL

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Haha they didn't tip the drone into the ocean like the dipshit animation, just flew so close the prop got bent and it couldn't maintain altitude.

Honestly badass maneuver to avoid outright gunning it down. Pretty telling that since there's video the US was hoping for a provocation like a gun fight but instead got ground-pounded in midair lmaoooo

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Even better if the drone pilot just got jump scared by the jet and simply dropped their xbox controller, thus sending the reaper in the drink.

"Oh poo poo I better tell them the Russians took it down or its my rear end"

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
hot plane on drone action coming straight from above a sea near you!!!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It looked like it hit it with the exhaust coming from the engines which caused a stall. It is a bit different than fuel being leaked on the drone.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

America showing the world how the Russian Maverick owned them.

This comes off really whiny. Should have just quietly taken the L.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Next time the Russians take down a reaper they should use a 2 seat trainer jet. Have one of them whack it with a baseball bat as they pass.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ardennes posted:

It looked like it hit it with the exhaust coming from the engines which caused a stall. It is a bit different than fuel being leaked on the drone.

hey pal, piss jet skepticism has no place here

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

DancingShade posted:

Yeah, their stuck, kind of like the Kurds in Syria. Sure, the Americans sell you off to Turkey piece by piece, but if you piss them off they sell you off in one big gulp.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the people who live in ukriane could align with Russia or get wrecked. that was how it was always going to be.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
yea, the way out here would be to pull a finland and just switch sides but that's not likely to happen

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

a kid brought an ar-15 in to a dollar general in my small southern town causing a panic when they told him to leave

he shouted that he was a sovereign citizen at them and they called the cops

they couldn't do anything about the gun but found out he didn't have a title for his car and had to be towed

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Ardennes posted:

The second clip has contact. That flanker pilot is pulling so hard to avoid contact last moment and leaves the prop busted up in the longer clip.

https://twitter.com/laraseligman/status/1636304085379870726?s=46&t=fppHBZSlD4AbSz5pJxjFMQ

I doubt he intended to actually smack into the drone, cause that’s dangerous for him, but was trying to use jet-wash and fuel dump to mess with the drone.

This is like the aerial version of a tatget fixation motorcycle accident.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
those upgraded T62s are trying their best don't make fun of them

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

January 6 Survivor posted:

those upgraded T62s are trying their best don't make fun of them

Pretty good. Like an Si badge on a Civic LX

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

DancingShade posted:

Next time the Russians take down a reaper they should use a 2 seat trainer jet. Have one of them whack it with a baseball bat as they pass.

imagine the optics on something like that

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

A few things,

First, on Hérge, French/Belgian cartoons are weird when it comes to the recent past,

Then, casualty ratios,

I was on the table being operated on within an hour, so was everyone I know who was hurt. MEDEVAC to Role III was just taken as a given. The Ukrainians, obviously, are not flying Mi-8s up to evacuate even people with major wounds, let alone minor ones. Think about mud season and what we've seen of the area. A ground ambulance, if it can even leave Bakmut at this point, is not going to have someone in Landstuhl by the end of the day, Role III within the hour. You would have to look at casualties in Korea and WW2 to get an idea of treatment times and outcomes. I'm sure the Ukrainians still have dressing stations and regimental aid posts to clear casualties, but it's not going to be what we're used to.

Second, this came up in the spring last year, the Soviet medical system both Russia and Ukraine inherited emphasizes treating wounded at the lowest possible echelon and returning them to combat as quickly as possible. That means that there are probably a fair number of walking wounded engaged in fighting, and also that probably chews through personnel at a quicker rate. Rather than going home for a shrapnel wound, you might just have a few days out of the line.

Third, injuries in the GWOT were mostly blast injuries, as you all know. Not to downplay the effects of TBI and amputation, but western militaries became very adept at treating them and with body armour and inside protected vehicles, vital organs were likely going to be okay. Coupled with the rapid evacuation time before shock and blood loss set in, that's a pretty survivable outcome. Compare and contrast with wounds being caused by shell fragments that can cut people in half, and that shell bursts direct fragments at torso and head height rather than feet or legs, and you can see why this is a pretty serious situation medically.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 13:34 on Mar 16, 2023

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Girkin claimed it was about 1:1 ratio a few months ago, because most of the work is done by artillery so they're either dead outright or severely injured. Maybe it wasn't exactly one to one, but close.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

hey quick question does belgium recognize what they did in Congo as a holocaust or genocide at all. because they super on purpose killed more than double or triple the people who died in the ukranian famine.

Come on, you can't do a genocide for profit, genocides are only done by loons driven by ideology, which by the way is why all ideology is dangerous and leads to genocide

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

I was on the table being operated on within an hour, so was everyone I know who was hurt. MEDEVAC to Role III was just taken as a given. The Ukrainians, obviously, are not flying Mi-8s up to evacuate even people with major wounds, let alone minor ones. Think about mud season and what we've seen of the area. A ground ambulance, if it can even leave Bakmut at this point, is not going to have someone in Landstuhl by the end of the day, Role III within the hour.

It is also clear that a significant amount of the medical support for field brigades is being done by Westerns in operating in a "grey zone" with donated and often adhoc equipment. One would think they would have proper medical training but everything about them is extremely vague from their funding, their connection to the AFU, and exactly how they fit into the broader medical support structure.

It very well may be that these guys are filling in broad gaps left by a true lack of qualified personnel, but the outcomes may not be the same.

I think a AFU soldier in many cases would be lucky for a pickup truck to come over and haul him to some basement to get patched up.

It is why I think the amount of wounded per killed is actually probably on the lower scale of things especially considering the amount of damage being done by artillery and crew served weapons and it is probably even lower than the type of ratio experienced by separatists during the Donbass conflict. It is very grim.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 13:42 on Mar 16, 2023

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Ardennes posted:

Admittedly, I don't know how many troops the Russians are going to capture in the end since I think every AFU unit left in Bakhmut is going to be ground down to a nub.

But yeah, I don't think 150-175k Ukrainian KIA is impossible at this point

that would be 400+ dead every single day, plus thousands of wounded on top for a year. literally multiple brigades made ineffective, every single day, for a year. i think organized resistance would have collapsed months ago if that were true, so i dont think theres 150k - 175k Ukrainian kia. do you have an actual source that indicates this or is that a gut feeling?

even half that number of kia per day i doubt ukraine would still be fighting. im sure theyve had some really loving bad days, but not averaging 400 kia a day.

The US and EU officials most recent estimates have been in the 100 - 200 k range of casualties, this politico article is the only one where theres a us official claiming 100k dead. i bet the officials gave their usual ballpark estimate of 100k casualties and the writer though casualties meant dead. not that i put particular faith in casualty estimates by either side of the war right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

America press doesn’t know the difference between casualty and kia so you have to be careful with them