Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

At least 128gb is the baseline now and not an effectively mandatory upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

mawarannahr posted:

Sounds like Apple has some growing up to do.

Yeah! They're not gonna become a leading tech company with this attitude!!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I wasn’t a big storage user but Apple got me a year or two ago with going with the 256GB. It’s essentially 10-15% more, but the $100 unfortunately is a very good upsell for the peace of mind.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

Sounds like Spotify is bad, OP

Certainly the future "TikTok but it's music" update will be.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Certainly the future "TikTok but it's music" update will be.

Can’t wait to be algorithmically exposed to some teen’s Sonic rap

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Looking for some case recommendations.
- iPhone 12 Pro
- Kid drop proof / bulky
- Covers the screen
- MagSafe compatible

I just bought an Otterbox Defender XT, but my wife didn't like that it didn't cover the screen. She currently has this SupCase currently, but I'm trying to get one that's similar, but it doesn't seem they make a MagSafe version until the iPhone 13.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The cases with included protector limit your case selection and add unnecessary bulkiness. Just put a easy install screen protector on her phone if she's worried about scratches.

Why not just get AppleCare with accident protection?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Corb3t posted:

The cases with included protector limit your case selection and add unnecessary bulkiness. Just put a easy install screen protector on her phone if she's worried about scratches.

Why not just get AppleCare with accident protection?

Her and the kids drops the phone all the time. That seems like a silly solution if I have to bring in a busted screen (and pay for it) every 2 months. She wants a bulky case.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Get a Spigen case like this and a Spigen screen protector.
This is the case I have:

Spigen Liquid Air Armor Designed for iPhone 13 Case (2021) - Matte Black https://a.co/d/3QkFH7J

This is the screen protector:

Spigen Tempered Glass Screen Protector designed for iPhone 14 / iPhone 13 Pro/iPhone 13 [2 Pack] https://a.co/d/gyFDlRA

Been almost two years and no issue.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Her and the kids drops the phone all the time. That seems like a silly solution if I have to bring in a busted screen (and pay for it) every 2 months. She wants a bulky case.

Have you considered adding grip tape, a popsocket, a belt case, and a lanyard to their cases

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Get a Spigen case like this and a Spigen screen protector.
This is the case I have:

Spigen Liquid Air Armor Designed for iPhone 13 Case (2021) - Matte Black https://a.co/d/3QkFH7J

This is the screen protector:

Spigen Tempered Glass Screen Protector designed for iPhone 14 / iPhone 13 Pro/iPhone 13 [2 Pack] https://a.co/d/gyFDlRA

Been almost two years and no issue.

Yeah I usually use this exact Spigen, but she doesn’t like the thinness. She specifically wants a bulky, Otterbox-like one with MagSafe.

Look guys, my wife just wants something nice and thick and I can’t give it to her.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The screen protectors you’re asking for aren’t preventing actual cracks from the display. They aren’t harder than gorilla glass. They simply provide protection from scratches, and the outer lip of those bulkier cases are what prevents them from being cracked when a phone is dropped.

Your/her needs are unnecessarily limiting and you’re not going to find what you want.

Edit: Goons always have such weird edge cases. The otterbox with a drop protection guarantee isn’t thick enough!

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 14, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Look guys, my wife just wants something nice and thick and I can’t give it to her.

this has to have been intentional

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Yeah I usually use this exact Spigen, but she doesn’t like the thinness. She specifically wants a bulky, Otterbox-like one with MagSafe.

A. loving lol

B. Almost none of the case makers build in the screen anymore like they used to because…..they make more money selling the screen protector separately. So no case is going to on its own cover the screen , so it’s case plus glass screen protector. The bulkier cases def are aggressive on lipping around the sides, so you also have to be really exact with some screen protectors which doesn’t help.

If OtterBox defender doesn’t do it, then the only option is the life proof Fre where it does have the totally enclosed phone with built in screen protector. Not sure if they are still available for a 12 pro.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

does she like trans girls

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Arivia posted:

this has to have been intentional

It's a comedy forum, for computer games but mostly "humor". Somehow we devolved into talking about phone cases along the way.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Corb3t posted:

Edit: Goons always have such weird edge cases. The otterbox with a drop protection guarantee isn’t thick enough!

Calling a kid an edge case is telling on yourself.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

A. loving lol

B. Almost none of the case makers build in the screen anymore like they used to because…..they make more money selling the screen protector separately.

Ahhh, ok this makes way more sense why I’m not seeing many. The Supcase monstrosity she currently has only does MagSafe from the 13 and onward I believe.

quote:

If OtterBox defender doesn’t do it, then the only option is the life proof Fre where it does have the totally enclosed phone with built in screen protector. Not sure if they are still available for a 12 pro.

She liked the Defender, but didn’t like the no screen cover. She’s a high school track coach and sometimes uses her phone for timing. She’d complain about the water getting inside the case whenever it would rain, hence the request for an all-in-one that all snapped together rather than case + glass protector. But maybe that’ll have to do.

Weedle posted:

does she like trans girls

In extensive discussions about her phone case, you know what, this never came up. It seems like the obvious solution.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 14, 2023

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ahhh, ok this makes way more sense why I’m not seeing many. The Supcase monstrosity she currently has only does MagSafe from the 13 and onward I believe.

She liked the Defender, but didn’t like the no screen cover. She’s a high school track coach and sometimes uses her phone for timing. She’d complain about the water getting inside the case whenever it would rain, hence the request for an all-in-one that all snapped together rather than case + glass protector. But maybe that’ll have to do.

In extensive discussions about her phone case, you know what, this never came up. It seems like the obvious solution.

Oh ok, I get what you’re saying there. Yeah, the only sealed against water case is gonna be life proof , and it’s one instance where I would not get a cheaper knock off brand. They’re probably on sale at this point anyway (or out of stock).

Obviously you post in the apple watch thread, I take it the watch timer app is not good enough (or she doesn’t line wearing a watch)? Wouldn’t quite surprise me, I like my Apple Watch, but end of the day the phone is more reliable when it’s like time and speed focused. I would go on a limb and say fine is important for high school track.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is there a way to prevent the default music controls from showing up on the lock screen? I'm using an alternativew paid app that supports customizable live activities (Marvis Pro); really cool stuff but kinda silly looking if the default music player is right above it.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Minidust posted:

Is there a way to prevent the default music controls from showing up on the lock screen? I'm using an alternativew paid app that supports customizable live activities (Marvis Pro); really cool stuff but kinda silly looking if the default music player is right above it.

Not that I know of without jail breaking like the bad old days

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Inner Light posted:

Not that I know of without jail breaking like the bad old days
heh I figured, thanks. I'll just stick to displaying some supplemental metadata then, which still ends up looking pretty cool.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Oh ok, I get what you’re saying there. Yeah, the only sealed against water case is gonna be life proof , and it’s one instance where I would not get a cheaper knock off brand. They’re probably on sale at this point anyway (or out of stock).

Obviously you post in the apple watch thread, I take it the watch timer app is not good enough (or she doesn’t line wearing a watch)? Wouldn’t quite surprise me, I like my Apple Watch, but end of the day the phone is more reliable when it’s like time and speed focused. I would go on a limb and say fine is important for high school track.

I'll check into the Lifeproof, thanks.

She's got an AW, but trying to get precise timings with tiny lap/stop buttons with a screen that turns off every 15 secs (yeah there's a setting, but it's OS-wide, not per-app) is definitely less convenient than the bigger ones on the phone. She uses old school stopwatches in conjunction with her phone and I think she's half octopus.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Is there a way to 'reset' the battery charging optimization analysis thingy? Or is it as simple as turning it off and on again? Or will it figure itself on its own eventually?

My phone and watch both haven't stopped at 80% while charging overnight in probably well over a year. Randomly last night, I was checking out the apps in the battery section and noticed that MS Authenticator was very often spending every minute overnight doing.... something. I think that's what was keeping my phone 'active' and preventing it from doing the optimization thingy. I used it as 2FA for my work login, but thankfully we can use text messaging as well, so I deleted Authenticator and want to 're-calibrate' it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Is there a goon recommended travel battery recommendation for the iPhone? I have a trip to Disney scheduled and everyone says to get a power bank or something because of how much you need to use your phone in the park.

Is the official MagSafe battery worth it, or is that a waste of money at $100?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Astro7x posted:

Is there a goon recommended travel battery recommendation for the iPhone? I have a trip to Disney scheduled and everyone says to get a power bank or something because of how much you need to use your phone in the park.

So: reminder that MagSafe requires your case to be MagSafe, so just remember that.

I can’t recommend the OtterBox ones enough. Highway capacity than the Apple ones, cheaper and they work super well. Not that bulky for what it is, and you can pop it on and just have it charge in pocket or purse on the go. Only downside is not lighting.

https://www.otterbox.com/en-us/wireless-power-bank-for-magsafe-and-3k-mah/78-81174.html

Non MagSafe battery packs I would probably look at Anker.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I use my phone moderately heavily especially in theme parks like Disneyland and a 10k mah Anker power brick (around $20?) is more than enough for me. When it’s time to recharge I have the battery in my backpack and a cable running from the smallest backpack pouch to my front pocket where my phone is.

Idk what your specific circumstances are but it’s a system that works for me without any hassle. Unless you really need the convenience of 0 cables I don’t see the need for a MagSafe here.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Anker bricks are pretty good. A lot of them have usb-c now too which future proofs them a little. I got their 25k mAh one for phones, watches, cameras and astronomy junk and it does what it's supposed to.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I personally think 25W USB C PD is worth the extra cost, but I have a Nintendo Switch and Steam Deck that benefit.

Anker Portable Charger, 10000mAh Power Bank with USB-C Power Delivery (25W), PowerCore 10000 Redux for iPhone 13/12/11 / Mini/Pro/Pro Max/XR/XS, Samsung S21 / S20, Pixel 4 / 4XL, iPad Mini, and More https://a.co/d/0D54o1S

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 16, 2023

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Just upgraded from a 12 mini to a 14 pro which should be here tomorrow. Thru Verizon and locked in for 3 more years paying 5.55 a month for the phone after trade in.

Two questions:

If the 14 pro proves to be too big, is there any return policy? I thought there was like 30 days or something but can’t remember.

Again if it’s too big, I guess I’d go for the 13 mini. What’s my best route forward for that? The 12 mini is paid off and in great condition albeit a lovely Apple silicon case which is falling apart in my hands.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Corb3t posted:

I personally think 25W USB C PD is worth the extra cost, but I have a Nintendo Switch and Steam Deck that benefit.

Anker Portable Charger, 10000mAh Power Bank with USB-C Power Delivery (25W), PowerCore 10000 Redux for iPhone 13/12/11 / Mini/Pro/Pro Max/XR/XS, Samsung S21 / S20, Pixel 4 / 4XL, iPad Mini, and More https://a.co/d/0D54o1S

Oooh, good point with the switch. I have one of the OG ones and the battery life isn’t so great. One less thing to worry about when traveling. Thanks!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Astro7x posted:

I like mine for the integration but it’s fundamentally worse than a wired battery because of the losses from wireless charging.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
MagSafe battery is great for "use your phone while charging".

It sounds like Astro7x already decided to get a power bank, but what phone one has would probably drive the decision more.
If you have a 12 mini (heck, even my wife's 12 Vanilla battery is pretty bad by now) then the MagSafe battery might make more sense.
If you have a 14 Pro Max then you might prefer the wired charging from a power bank (especially with PD) for quick tops-off.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

nwin posted:

Just upgraded from a 12 mini to a 14 pro which should be here tomorrow. Thru Verizon and locked in for 3 more years paying 5.55 a month for the phone after trade in.

Two questions:

If the 14 pro proves to be too big, is there any return policy? I thought there was like 30 days or something but can’t remember.

Again if it’s too big, I guess I’d go for the 13 mini. What’s my best route forward for that? The 12 mini is paid off and in great condition albeit a lovely Apple silicon case which is falling apart in my hands.

Ask the Verizon thread, but I think it's 14 days.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

~Coxy posted:

MagSafe battery is great for "use your phone while charging".

It sounds like Astro7x already decided to get a power bank, but what phone one has would probably drive the decision more.
If you have a 12 mini (heck, even my wife's 12 Vanilla battery is pretty bad by now) then the MagSafe battery might make more sense.
If you have a 14 Pro Max then you might prefer the wired charging from a power bank (especially with PD) for quick tops-off.

I'm on a 13 Pro, but then it occurred to me that I could charge other devices with a Power Bank, so a MagSafe battery wouldn't be the best idea even if it's more convenient

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I have one of those magnetic Anker batteries for when I need a little extra juice. It’s chunky as gently caress but works exactly as intended and is one less cable that I’ll get caught on something.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

Two questions:

2 things:

1. 30 day return policy , they’ll ding you $50 if you return it.

2. You got a $800 trade in promo towards the 14 pro, so you’re getting it for $200 instead of $1000 over 3 year contract.

The 13 series (of course includes mini) doesn’t get that promo, you actually would pay more (something like $200-400) for the 13 Mini than for the 14 Pro.

I get the size thing, but my honest opinion is the Pro does have a good number more features than the Mini at this point, camera especially is a big upgrade, I would stick with the pro. I have it, I think it’s the perfect phone size imo.

Endless Mike posted:

Ask the Verizon thread, but I think it's 14 days.

I’m right here, I just went to sleep early yesterday !

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

As much as the mini rules I don’t think I’d give up ProMotion to go back to a mini.

Unless…mini Pro…Apple :shepspends:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
oh my god itunes on windows is such an infuriating experiences. every time there's some kind of issue.

it's not enough to get me to move to android, especially since i'm not giving up my ipad, but man i wish apple gave an ounce of a gently caress about non-mac users.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Windows iTunes is on the way out, I think the "Music" app is in preview right now.

But yes, iTunes is super old and neglected. Let's all wait and see if the replacement is any better!