Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

fridge corn posted:

85 hours into the game and I'm ready to do the final chapters. Who to start with first??? I'm tempted to do Castti's first cuz she's my main so I can finally rotate her out of my team, but I also can't imagine rotating her out of my team, so maybe do hers last?? Or maybe do hers first to get her EX skill and keep her leading the team anyway??? Ahhhh idk I can't decide!

I did my main’s chapter first so I could take them out of my party, finally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

KonvexKonkav posted:

Level doesn't really seem to matter all that much in this game, gear or access to powerful classes and skills seems to be far more important. I have done most of the penultimate chapters and never had to restart a boss fight so far even when half my party was severely underleveled. The biggest roadblock so far was that I couldn't progress Agnea's chapter 4 because the level requirement for a path action was too high.

I’m by no means using sub par gear and I’ve noticed if I try to dip into areas underleveled, the damage seems artificially inflated. Haven’t tested thoroughly, but it feels like there’s some damage scaling going on when there’s significant difference enough between PCs and enemies. Am I nuts?

It goes the other way too. One star NPCs do pretty much no damage to characters in their mid teens or twenties, for instance.

That reminds me. How many levels is a star worth? I’m guessing about five, since the stories seem to end around fifty, yes?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I did my main’s chapter first so I could take them out of my party, finally.

same

Then I proceeded to keep Agnea in my party anyway because it felt wrong to take her out

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Andrast posted:

same

Then I proceeded to keep Agnea in my party anyway because it felt wrong to take her out

This is how I feel about Castti lol

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I bought a ship and proceeded to immediately get destroyed by mobs on the ocean lol.

Just picked up Cleric as a sub-job (and got my first EX skill since it was right behind that building - I think it allows Temenos to overheal, but at a kind of big SP cost). For now I have it on Castii, but I'm wondering if I should try giving it to someone else. I feel like it'd normally be best on Castii, but since Temenos is my "main" I'll always have him in my party, and Temenos + Cleric Castii seems a bit like healing overkill. Maybe Osvald just to give him another element to do damage with? Is healing determined by spell power?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Healing is determined by E.Def. Temenos is the best at it, but Osvald actually makes a decent healer as well and Partitio is just as good as Castti at it (though Castti can of course heal better in practice thanks to Concoct).

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Cleric Osvald is great if only because luminescence is affected by Advanced Magic. Let's him hit light weakness very well. There's also the SP recovering staff attack for his small SP pool.

The reverse of Scholar Temenos is also fantastic for much the same reasons.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Scholar Temenos is also good because his Latent works with Elemental Barrage.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Yep, I've used Osvald as a cleric for a good portion of the game, mostly because nothing else is super useful on him (besides the merchant extra bp and start with full latent power). I haven't picked up conjurer or arcanist yet though.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Cleric Osvald is great if only because luminescence is affected by Advanced Magic. Let's him hit light weakness very well. There's also the SP recovering staff attack for his small SP pool.

You can also grab an accessory that automatically raises magic by one level, so you can start with advanced magic in play. I didn't think to see if you could cast AM with that accessory and getting to Alphean's Wisdom levels.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Osvald's magic damage output just feels low. Even with his LP and divine skill and an end game weapon his damage just doesn't feel like it compares to melee damage that takes less setup, at least for most of the game.

Then you have Hikari with his 2-hit LP + bonus move at the end of the turn that lets him potentially do two hits with 2BP then finish the round with a divine skill that likely out-damaged Osvald by itself.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

Healing is determined by E.Def. Temenos is the best at it, but Osvald actually makes a decent healer as well and Partitio is just as good as Castti at it (though Castti can of course heal better in practice thanks to Concoct).

Wow, that's good to know (and kind of unintuitive - I'm guessing there's somewhere in the game that details everything stats do?).

Evil Fluffy posted:

Osvald's magic damage output just feels low. Even with his LP and divine skill and an end game weapon his damage just doesn't feel like it compares to melee damage that takes less setup, at least for most of the game.

Then you have Hikari with his 2-hit LP + bonus move at the end of the turn that lets him potentially do two hits with 2BP then finish the round with a divine skill that likely out-damaged Osvald by itself.

In the early-ish game (around level 20) he definitely does much better damage than my melee. His fully boosted Elemental Barrage hits for like ~3000+ total while none of my melee options can do the equivalent. I imagine things might change later just due to weapons and/or getting access to better weapon skills on someone like Hikari.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
Very nice of Partitio to (spoilers for chapter 3) gather all the merchants in one place so Throne and Oswald can rob all of them naked

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Magic just feels very weak in this game compared to how dominant it felt last time.

The loss of Alephan's enlightenment as a skill is pretty difficult to handle.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Agnea was a great way to finish things. Now all eight characters and all the duo stories are done, just side stories and the end-game to go...!

What a game.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Speaking of, do the rest of the duo side stories start unlocking as you finish main stories? I’m almost done with unlocking every final chapter

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Finishes Throne's story, holy gently caress what an ending.

So now thread I ask you a simple question.

What cannot be stolen?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Natural 20 posted:

What cannot be stolen?

An item with a 87% chance of success.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Deez Nuts.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

An item with a 87% chance of success.

I'm convinced that everything between like 20% and 90% = 50%

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Natural 20 posted:

What cannot be stolen?

The Battle-Tested Bow, for one. 8% chance at level 70 what the h*ck is that :argh:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Regalingualius posted:

Speaking of, do the rest of the duo side stories start unlocking as you finish main stories? I’m almost done with unlocking every final chapter

Yeah the second parts of the crossed paths unlock as you beat characters’ final chapters.

Natural 20 posted:

What cannot be stolen?

The big reveal of her story was weird as hell but I don’t think it was as disturbing as some of the others (Castti, Osvald). But her ending was very satisfying.

What can’t be stolen? THE DAWN!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
What's a good place for gear in the final story chapters? I thought I could tackle agnes 10 levels below but nope.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Tae posted:

What's a good place for gear in the final story chapters? I thought I could tackle agnes 10 levels below but nope.

Basically all of the “level 3” towns have great gear if you inquire/scrutinize the info that gives you new gear for sale. There are a few standout pieces that are kind of random, like the little girl in Winterbloom who has a 300 attack dagger you can steal. You can get a lot of really good equipment in the later towns from steal/mug/etc. There are also some side quests that give good gear. If you want a really good staff, there’s a hidden one in Gravel that’s incredibly good.

There’s also the Armsmaster job and the rusty weapons. If you haven’t started that quest, you should.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Tae posted:

Yeah as above. I just went to a few of the level 3 towns and bought some gear. I think I was >10 below the final boss in Throne's campaign and something like >15 below an optional boss I fought in a level 48 cave.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

When is it safe to start using the boat. I'm thinking my party should be at least level 30?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Yeah the second parts of the crossed paths unlock as you beat characters’ final chapters.

The big reveal of her story was weird as hell but I don’t think it was as disturbing as some of the others (Castti, Osvald). But her ending was very satisfying.

What can’t be stolen? THE DAWN!

I thought Throne's answer was weird and a little cliche but goddamn it has good payoff later.

(Finale Spoilers) "I'll steal back the dawn if I must." is so good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

When is it safe to start using the boat. I'm thinking my party should be at least level 30?

I was using it in the 20s. Enemies hit hard but you gain levels really quick when you take them down. You probably can't take the bosses until the 30s at least though.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I finished Partitio's chapter 4 not realizing it was the final one.

I'm up to chapter 5 with everyone but Castti, Throne, and Ochette, who are all on chapter 4. I'm assuming those are the other characters that may only have 4 chapters?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

They all have five chapters technically, like ochette's chapter 2 is basically three. Most have one chapter split into two routes which leaves them with a level 45 ch 4.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

FireWorksWell posted:

They all have five chapters technically, like ochette's chapter 2 is basically three. Most have one chapter split into two routes which leaves them with a level 45 ch 4.

Ah makes sense, yeah.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Replace all of Ochette's sprites with her holding out jerky.

Just sliding around bumping into people with 'friend?'

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Figured I’d do Hikari’s finale first just to free up his spot in the party.

And got my rear end handed to me in the home stretch :negative:

Any recommendations for the second half? My team comp is:

Warmaster Hikari
Cleric Castti
Hunter Partitio
Scholar Agnea

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
You can probably drop Agnea. From memory, the fight has more weapon weaknesses than magical ones. Someone like Ochette should help to break him.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The stories in this really seem dramatically better than the ones in Octopath 1. Every single one is compelling enough that I'm at least curious to find out what happens next. I never finished 1 because none of the stories really grabbed me.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Kinda agreeing so far, Ochette's finale is weird as through her entire thing 'this feels kinda like filler' then the finale felt like the end of a long climactic tale. Really set the mood perfectly for me.

Shame the boss killed me like 3-4 times :v:. It's very rude that it can reduce everyone to 1hp then get like 4-5 turns to do whatever the gently caress and blast you to shreds. Lost a run to it and was pretty miffed!

Genuinely wondering if the other finales will have the same feel because if so I'm kinda excited. Got Throne, Osvald, and Temenos lined up next

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Why would you not do Throné or Temenos first, so you could get the TOOT sequence???

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

BurningBeard posted:

I’m by no means using sub par gear and I’ve noticed if I try to dip into areas underleveled, the damage seems artificially inflated. Haven’t tested thoroughly, but it feels like there’s some damage scaling going on when there’s significant difference enough between PCs and enemies. Am I nuts?

It goes the other way too. One star NPCs do pretty much no damage to characters in their mid teens or twenties, for instance.

That reminds me. How many levels is a star worth? I’m guessing about five, since the stories seem to end around fifty, yes?

You're probably right, I mainly used the lower level characters to feed BP/buffs to the higher level characters.

It must be 5 levels per star. I wish they'd just tell you the level outright.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So is the mechanic class worth it? I really don't get it.

Catapult is funny and Ochette's quotes when setting it up and using it made me laugh but a strong AOE really doesn't seem worth it when I have to waste a turn fixing it, and the elemental bomb only did 1 damage and one shields worth but needs 3 whole turns to reset

It felt pretty bad

(TBH I think the game needs more classes in general, kinda hard to not just want to recreate my first party just flipped a bit)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
The problem I have with the inventor is that there doesn't appear to be an easy way of tracking what is actually needed for the upgrades. So I've just completely missed the class as a result. Each time I went back I just didn't have any of the key items I needed.