Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm a married 2 person household with zero kids, car etc and it says we're getting nothing extra, but with the 67 quid going away, council tax going up, everything on earth costing loads, fair to say the budget did gently caress all for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

We would get a flood of articles about the ancient right of ultima noctae and how it is actually a real mark of his kingliness.

And it's Meghan's fault.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

"I just wanted to break tradition of inbreeding"

'Mein Schweiß' pg 34

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"Actually the real nonces are people who have sex with consenting adults" - The British Press

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

they’re banning tik tok!

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Russia can't become great again unless the remaining relatives of the old monarchy are sacrificed. :guillotine: :colbert:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jel Shaker posted:

they’re banning tik tok!

Only on government devices, before anyone gets excited.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

When I think third party applications that cause problems for the government, I think tik tok

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like superstitions about how many people should ride in the lift because of accidents is called "the safe working load" and is usually on a metal plate screwed to the lift.

It was something like three people were bad. Over was fine, under was fine, but three was right out.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Failed Imagineer posted:

I honestly wonder if Charles was caught sneaking into the morgues with Savile if that would be enough to end the royals, or even his personal reign

The Spectator : In Defence of Jimmy Savile - Fraser Nelson

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
MPs are going to be sad if they can't watch sexy TikToks of tractors in Parliament anymore. Expect the frequency and volume of posh braying to increase by at least 15%

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Unironically ban WhatsApp from MP mobiles, since it seems to be the primary method the cunts have of communicating stuff to each other and the press without it being logged anywhere.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

keep punching joe posted:

The Spectator : In Defence of Jimmy Savile - Fraser Nelson

The Telegraph: Is it really sexual abuse if the other party is dead? - Isabel Oakeshott

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

Unironically ban WhatsApp from MP mobiles, since it seems to be the primary method the cunts have of communicating stuff to each other and the press without it being logged anywhere.

It's definitely logged somewhere, just where it's only accessible to Mark Zuckerberg and whoever controls Mark Zuckerberg, rather than visible to the British public

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

When I think third party applications that cause problems for the government, I think tik tok

When I think of applications that cause problems for the government I think specifications drawn up by people who
(a) don't have to do the work
(b) don't understand what the job is, and
(c) to ensure their mates get the job.

Been playing with that budget calculator and if you don't smoke drink have kids or run a car, I haven't found any income below £11909 where you're better off.This is approx 21-22 hours a week at £10.42 ph which I think is the new NMW.

And I'm not sure it takes into account the frozen personal tax allowance.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
If there really is a national security risk posed by apps and hardware potentially under the control of hostile foreign governments, then they really should lock that poo poo down for MPs, Civil Service, Armed Forces etc.

Potential new UK communications boom incoming with British made smart phones and laptops running their own heavily modified versions of Android/BSD or whatever. If we're going to wall ourselves up like North Korea then we might as well start controlling our own tech.

Plus it would be hilarious seeing oval office MPs having to deal with shoddy Brit made garbage, give them all BBC Micros and Raspberry Pi's.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Mar 16, 2023

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Albinator posted:

Pages of entertaining stories, but nobody's answered the most important question: was bessantj successful in getting off with Newport Velma?

God no, the first investigation I was part of was at a lovely pub called The Tredegar Arms in Bassaleg. Ten minutes in she put both her palms and her cheek on a wall then turns and declares "there has been terrible events here, the wall is upset." It didn't get better from there. She brought twelve crystals and placed them around the pub to capture the ghost as "ghosts are the vibratonal energy of the emotions of those that have passed" and she'd tuned the crystals into the correct vibrational frequency. I asked Phil (The head of the investigation.) why he agreed to let her come along turns out she was his niece.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

bessantj posted:

God no, the first investigation I was part of was at a lovely pub called The Tredegar Arms in Bassaleg. Ten minutes in she put both her palms and her cheek on a wall then turns and declares "there has been terrible events here, the wall is upset." It didn't get better from there. She brought twelve crystals and placed them around the pub to capture the ghost as "ghosts are the vibratonal energy of the emotions of those that have passed" and she'd tuned the crystals into the correct vibrational frequency. I asked Phil (The head of the investigation.) why he agreed to let her come along turns out she was his niece.

Tbf there's always a lot of paranormal stuff happening in Bas-Lag

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

OwlFancier posted:

We would get a flood of articles about the ancient right of ultima noctae and how it is actually a real mark of his kingliness.

Read that as Ultima Noncetae

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Dunno if I missed ghost chat but is

quote:

With regards your point on evolution that’s kind of a false premise- there are many known animal ghosts

too long for a thread title?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bessantj posted:

What you're telling me is that not only did you fancy her but she was a powerful wizard. Wife material clearly.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

bessantj posted:

sorry to say that "the wall is upset" is delightful, and I would like to see a children's book with this title that ends with the whole family giving the wall a colourful paint makeover to cheer it up.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Around this time last year I ran a D20 Modern oneshot for my D&D group where I pregenerated a bunch of PCs for them to choose from and one of them was literally a wiccan from Newport who looked like Velma.

Spooooooky. If it turns out this girl's name was Daisy I'm going to assume she's dead now and has for some reason chosen to haunt my dice.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

What you're telling me is that not only did you fancy her but she was a powerful wizard. Wife material clearly.

Well she did say she was a vessel for the spirit of a 'dewines', something like a sorceress, and that the spirit was Rhiannon (her own name), the mother of Prydreri from Welsh myth. It wouldn't have worked anyway she could only be with someone who had the same aura as her.

grobbo posted:

sorry to say that "the wall is upset" is delightful, and I would like to see a children's book with this title that ends with the whole family giving the wall a colourful paint makeover to cheer it up.

Well she wanted to give it an offering of flowers.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

fuctifino posted:

The Telegraph: Is it really sexual abuse if the other party is dead? - Isabel Oakeshott

Daily Mail: If I was a morgue attendant, I would gently caress the attractive corpses too. - Toby Young/Rod Liddle

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/AJIunit/status/1636346498022514688

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Death to the Labour Party, and Death to the BBC

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Red Oktober posted:

Incredible. Literally the only thing protecting him is the royal family so yeah, why not turn on them

What I’m saying is do it, coward.

He's totally silly enough not to be able to grasp this and will diligently saw off the branch that he's sitting on, while feeling justified and rather pleased with himself.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

bessantj posted:

God no, the first investigation I was part of was at a lovely pub called The Tredegar Arms in Bassaleg. Ten minutes in she put both her palms and her cheek on a wall then turns and declares "there has been terrible events here, the wall is upset." It didn't get better from there.

I don't doubt every pub wall in Britain has been witness to terrible, traumatic events on the regular

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Barry Foster posted:

Death to the Labour Party, and Death to the BBC

Might as well chuck the Met police, NHS and RNLI in there whilst youre at it.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Seizing the means of reproduction

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Niric posted:

I don't doubt every pub wall in Britain has been witness to terrible, traumatic events on the regular

Ah gently caress, now I want to go back 21 years so I can use that line.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Might as well chuck the Met police, NHS and RNLI in there whilst youre at it.

Happy to chuck the former in, sure

and the RNLI haven't done anything much for me lately...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

bessantj posted:

She brought twelve crystals and placed them around the pub to capture the ghost as "ghosts are the vibratonal energy of the emotions of those that have passed" and she'd tuned the crystals into the correct vibrational frequency.
And yet you yourself are posting this from a device made of vibrating crystals :smug: :pseudo:

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
Depressing amount of people I know up in Scotland who are willing to rationalise wanting Kate Forbes to win the leadership election because they see her as a better bet for Independence, the one thing they care about, than the others. Suddenly people are entitled to their beliefs, "Yousef skipped the gay marriage vote you know", bigger picture etc.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Point them to Iran as a good example of what happens when a fringe religious minority ends up on top at a time of constitutional upheaval.

"We might as well back the religious fascists to get the imperialists out, then we'll get the religious fascists out" never works as cleanly in reality.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

And yet you yourself are posting this from a device made of vibrating crystals :smug: :pseudo:

Maybe she should get a job in IT.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Just watched the documentary linked to it (just under 14 mins if you want to set aside time).
The current edition of the Labour party & BBC Panorama are a fkin disgrace.

The bit where he said a journalist contacted him about the report and they hadn't read it, and he said 'suggest you go and read it' and they never came back - sounds to me like the journo (can't remember who for if it said) read it and found it didn't support the Corbmeister is a anti-semite view that they probably expected.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 16, 2023

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

Point them to Iran as a good example of what happens when a fringe religious minority ends up on top at a time of constitutional upheaval.

"We might as well back the religious fascists to get the imperialists out, then we'll get the religious fascists out" never works as cleanly in reality.

I don't think that "look what happened in Iran when they set a religious leader over the secular government" is a particularly clever or effective way to defend a Muslim from anyone who would vote for Kate Forbes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

The example I've been using is America, where the Supreme Court got stacked with hard-righters who all pinkie promised that they respected the will of the people etc then killed Wade vs Roe anyway.

The fantasy is that once the holy grail of Independence is achieved then you can vote for whoever you like, right? I'm hearing that one a lot too. "We live in a democracy, if she's not popular as leader we will simply vote her out". Like suddenly everyone is being incredibly naïve about how politics actually works.

Forbes wouldn't even get Independence anyway, so what we'd be left with is just taking the centre-left ruling party and pushing them strongly to the right and still not getting what you ostensibly want anyway.