Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Proud Christian Mom posted:

feature, not a bug of the last two decades of Democrat strategy

For the last 11,011 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

so whats up with the state taking over hisd? i got kids who will be school age in a few years, starting to feel like i should care about this stuff now lol.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

lobster shirt posted:

so whats up with the state taking over hisd? i got kids who will be school age in a few years, starting to feel like i should care about this stuff now lol.

Just posted this in the Houston LAN thread as well. HISD hasn't been doing great for quite awhile, with various allegations of underfunding, corruption, and just generally being terrible. But they have improved. I have no idea if this is strictly due to performance, or if it's politically motivated (most likely both).

That said, the legal reason for the takeover is due to a single HISD campus - you can look up the grade for whatever campuses (campii?) your kids will be going to.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

You wont notice. Takeover isn't until June anyway. It was originally going to happen in '19 but it's been in court since then.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Teacher groups and local politicians are all pretty upset by it, statewide officials and local GOP leaders are very supportive, so take from that what you will. Basically it just removes the elected school board and superintendent to replace them with a board that the state manages. It is also fitting that the school that initiated the move has also improved its scores over the last four years, but TEA argues it does not matter and they are required to take over if a school fails for 5 consecutive years. Most likely outcome is that it won't matter much, nothing will really improve all that much because everything they were feasibly going to do was already being done, and likely there will be massive teacher turnover as they start asking too much from teachers.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

On top of whatever bullshit curriculum is implemented to combat the boogyman of CRT.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Massive teacher turnover and bullshit curriculum is already the status quo, which is why I don't think anyone's going to notice much unless they are educators or admin.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
My guess is the state will run HISD, nothing will change, in a year from now Abbott will use it as an example that public schools are awful in a bigger push toward charter schools.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

lobster shirt posted:

The Tribune's article is cool and good:

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/03/15/texas-education-houston-isd-takeover/

It's part PR fiasco, actual academic concerns, corruption investigations, and political grandstanding. In other words: Texas.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ill put it simply: the guy that got this whole thing rolling was Harold Dutton

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

spaced ninja posted:

My guess is the state will run HISD, nothing will change, in a year from now Abbott will use it as an example that public schools are awful in a bigger push toward charter schools.

The free space on the Texas Political Bingo Card.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

zoux posted:

Guy took money from Texans for Education Reform which promotes school choice and seem to think the Texas leg has the best interest of students in mind so not a good look I'd say.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

zoux posted:

Pretty much. Ctrl+A, Ctril+C, copy into Word (One Weird Trick That The Houston Chronicle Hates):

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/op...i1eyccStXLiRyFc

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

zoux posted:

It was quite a doozy of a fiasco. He sponsored an anti-trans bill as leverage to get his HISD takeover bill passed. On that note, today is hardcore anti-trans bill marathon in the Senate. Already caught some "My pronouns are...I AM A BIOLOGICAL FEMALE" joke early on, but I'm sure it was made fifty times.

Speaking on him, the schedule has gone as far out as March 22nd and Dutton hasn't had a single bill hearing for his JJFI committee scheduled. I've only let myself get excited about one bill this session, it's in JJFI, and it'd make it easier to for stepparents and second parents to adopt their partner's kid. It would've saved us around $1000 and four months of waiting on a bullshit DFPS background check. But it's not so explicitly pro-LGBTQ, so I kind of need it to pass for my next baby without other Republicans knowing it could help queer people.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Oh God, I forgot that he was the chud who did that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

It was quite a doozy of a fiasco. He sponsored an anti-trans bill as leverage to get his HISD takeover bill passed. On that note, today is hardcore anti-trans bill marathon in the Senate. Already caught some "My pronouns are...I AM A BIOLOGICAL FEMALE" joke early on, but I'm sure it was made fifty times.

https://twitter.com/taygoldenstein/status/1636550759729754112

e: also aggy has been whining about its tourney seed all week while saying they were going to kick our rear end in the second round and they lost by 17 to Penn St. lmao

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 17, 2023

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I don't even know what you're talking about, but gently caress a&m

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

That was pretty great. Horrifying human being, truly scum of the earth, but great to see him kicked out. Hughes also booted out Equality Texas and a random trans woman who were the last two speakers because - after Equality Texas staff ran out of time to read the hosed up voicemail she receives (to point out the hate speech these hearings encourage) and the random trans woman read it for her and it was full of the foulest language in a hearing.

I definitely noticed the absence of a LOT of trans people in these hearings, especially the total lack of trans kids. I think a ton of those families moved away, but some others are probably laying low because of how CPS is weaponized against families with trans kids.

My favorite part (as in most rage-inducing) is watching the parental rights groups try to say gender-affirming care doesn't count as parental rights issues because "you can't consent to your kid doing something illegal"...even though the point is that it's not illegal yet and making it illegal violates parental rights. Same people want to require parental consent for basic public health and safety measures. Same people think you shouldn't be required to have your kid receive any kind of education. Same people made it so kids can't learn about identifying and reporting child abuse without parental consent. So if you're molesting your child every day and you're worried they'll report you, it's your right as a parent to ensure they never learn it's wrong or that they can report you.

Mistaken Frisbee fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 17, 2023

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Are these bullshit "look at me! I'm the biggest conservative!" bills or do they have a legitimate chance of making it out of committee and getting scheduled for a vote?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They’ve already passed six states, I imagine they’ll pass here. Unlike other trans issues, GAC for minors polls pretty bad. Bans on transgender athletes competing in women's leagues also polls pretty well, they're the low-hanging fruit in terms of things the public is ok with restricting.

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 17, 2023

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Figured that was the case since it was getting a hearing, but wanted to confirm since reporting on these things can be pretty lovely.

What a bunch of loving assholes.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the "pff that'll never pass" era died with joe straus

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't think they could get an adult ban done on it, but we don't have Woke Business riding to the rescue like in '17 because, like I said, these particular trans bills are supported by a majority of voters.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

strong support for the Trans Death And Chamber Of Commerce Subsidy Act Of 2023

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

zoux posted:

They’ve already passed six states, I imagine they’ll pass here. Unlike other trans issues, GAC for minors polls pretty bad. Bans on transgender athletes competing in women's leagues also polls pretty well, they're the low-hanging fruit in terms of things the public is ok with restricting.

Anti-LGBTQ rhetoric, but especially against trans people, has just been on the rise and extremely scary and violent lately. It works because some anti-trans activist just yells that it's about cutting kids' penises off at a pediatric well-child visit, and the reality of it doesn't get through to most people. I've listened to a lot of hearings, and I don't think I've heard that many bigoted liars in a row in a hot minute.

i say swears online posted:

the "pff that'll never pass" era died with joe straus

That's how I feel now. Straus was the last Speaker who put on the brakes. At best, Phelan is a coward. Whatever idea that is unthinkable one session becomes the norm the next session. I suspect by 2027, Senator Hall and Representative Slaton will be called RINOS by some of their party for their centrist views.

Mistaken Frisbee fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 17, 2023

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah dade's clearly not a culture warrior but also not willing to stand up to patrick or his own caucus in the slightest

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well look what happened to Strauss lol

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

They've already started laying the groundwork for expanding their beachhead by saying the brain isn't done developing until age 25 or whatever.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat
I am mostly scared about this entire subject because I know people that are not against the life style, but are completely against "indoctrination" through puberty blockers.

On one hand they're totally fine with people making their own decisions, but then they get fed some bullshit that doctors are cutting penises off and sewing them on kids at the age of 13 and that these medications are being forced upon kids by doctors without parental approval.

It's complete dissonant from reality, and yet, the basis of their opinion.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

drunk mutt posted:

I am mostly scared about this entire subject because I know people that are not against the life style, but are completely against "indoctrination" through puberty blockers.

those people are idiots, blockers place the onus on the individual to decide which is ron paul 101

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

drunk mutt posted:

On one hand they're totally fine with people making their own decisions, but then they get fed some bullshit that doctors are cutting penises off and sewing them on kids at the age of 13 and that these medications are being forced upon kids by doctors without parental approval.

It's complete dissonant from reality, and yet, the basis of their opinion.

While there are for sure Hotze style bigots in that group, I think for most people the level of concern is the same as "13 year olds shouldn't get tattoos" in that they just don't think that kids can make those kinds of decisions, rather than it's part of An Agenda. The trans sports thing is framed a fairness issue, but restricting gender care or expression for adults is strictly a moral argument so I don't think that they're going to be able to swing that around in terms of public opinion, and if and when they try to push some sort of GAC ban for adults, then we're back in the bathroom bill dynamic.

I don't even know how frequently puberty blockers are prescribed, I'd be surprised if there were more than 10,000 kids in America on them for the purposes of delaying puberty for transitioning. Certainly no one is performing bottom surgery on minors, and I know top surgery happens sometimes but mostly for elder teens who presumably have been living as their preferred gender for some time. HRT I'd guess is similarly rare, there just aren't that many gender clinics in the US. There's like one in Texas.

I also think there's a good chance the GOP gets btfoed in '24 and wont be as able to push this kind of legislation next session.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

i say swears online posted:

those people are idiots, blockers place the onus on the individual to decide which is ron paul 101

While yes and no, there is a poo poo ton of misinformation going around WRT the medications used and when they're used. I am not willing to just jump directly at every individual is an idiot with this stance, yet.

But yeah, buying into that poo poo is pretty loving idiotic, so they're idiots until proven otherwise at this point.

I know I just contradicted myself.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

zoux posted:

While there are for sure Hotze style bigots in that group, I think for most people the level of concern is the same as "13 year olds shouldn't get tattoos" in that they just don't think that kids can make those kinds of decisions, rather than it's part of An Agenda. The trans sports thing is framed a fairness issue, but restricting gender care or expression for adults is strictly a moral argument so I don't think that they're going to be able to swing that around in terms of public opinion, and if and when they try to push some sort of GAC ban for adults, then we're back in the bathroom bill dynamic.

I don't even know how frequently puberty blockers are prescribed, I'd be surprised if there were more than 10,000 kids in America on them for the purposes of delaying puberty for transitioning. Certainly no one is performing bottom surgery on minors, and I know top surgery happens sometimes but mostly for elder teens who presumably have been living as their preferred gender for some time. HRT I'd guess is similarly rare, there just aren't that many gender clinics in the US. There's like one in Texas.

I also think there's a good chance the GOP gets btfoed in '24 and wont be as able to push this kind of legislation next session.

Yeah, this is the type of numbers that I see getting thrown around. The people I've known, with parental support and not within this hell state mode, did not have an easy time even getting their doctors to talk about these types of opportunities.

Edit: To add that it was not easy before all of this turmoil, it got a lil easier, and now we're back to a complete hell state and that sucks.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah it's just not a pressing issue at all, it's a complete moral panic that is unfortunately loving with a lot of kids and their families for no reason, and it's being engineered by what I believe is a very small minority.

I will say I thought that they were going to go HAM on trans rights the second after Obergerfell came down, I'm kind of surprised it took them this long to get to this point. Kind of feel like the rubicon has been crossed on queer issues w/r/t public opinion, like I think that the anti-gay poo poo in the GOP in the 80s and 90s was being driven by the bulk of conservative voters but this trans panic is astroturf.

I've adequately hedged my statement I think.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

Yeah it's just not a pressing issue at all, it's a complete moral panic that is unfortunately loving with a lot of kids and their families for no reason, and it's being engineered by what I believe is a very small minority.

I will say I thought that they were going to go HAM on trans rights the second after Obergerfell came down, I'm kind of surprised it took them this long to get to this point. Kind of feel like the rubicon has been crossed on queer issues w/r/t public opinion, like I think that the anti-gay poo poo in the GOP in the 80s and 90s was being driven by the bulk of conservative voters but this trans panic is astroturf.

I've adequately hedged my statement I think.

i think the culture war has shifted and the CoC conservatives are gone, they're all cowards who take their cues from garland hairdressers. a one-seat majority in the house could be enough to continue this poo poo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think that's overstating things as they get plenty of direction from realtors in Garland, as well.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

zoux posted:

I hope you mean federal otherwise I'd have to worry you recently fell and hurt your head.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

I think that's overstating things as they get plenty of direction from realtors in Garland, as well.

it is funny that many suburban realtors care more about social issues than money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Dameius posted:

I hope you mean federal otherwise I'd have to worry you recently fell and hurt your head.

[waffen haus voice] gerrymandering!!