Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://www.greatbritainpeolesparty.co.uk/

And no, that is not a typo in the URL I posted there.

If you type peoples instead of peoles in the URL it redirects to peoles. As he obviously made a typo when buying his URL, why he didn't redirect it the other way I don't know. Maybe something to do with wix not allowing it?

Another ukip/brexit/reform style party.
May they split the tory vote even more.

Sounds like a right peole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jedit posted:

I don't think that "look what happened in Iran when they set a religious leader over the secular government" is a particularly clever or effective way to defend a Muslim from anyone who would vote for Kate Forbes.
It does assume that they have enough awareness to look at something else that they presumably think is bad and not to just go "well it's fine when my religious candidate loves theocratic fascism", yes.

e: ^^

Power to the peole!

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 16, 2023

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Her Dryer posted:

Depressing amount of people I know up in Scotland who are willing to rationalise wanting Kate Forbes to win the leadership election because they see her as a better bet for Independence, the one thing they care about, than the others. Suddenly people are entitled to their beliefs, "Yousef skipped the gay marriage vote you know", bigger picture etc.

You'd think some Tories openly talking up Kate Forbes as their preferred winner would be a warning sign to those folk tbh.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

great british peole's party posted:

The UK is, or at least was a Christian country, It's only fair, People have the right to their rights, and we must consider the people who are not of the Muslim faith. The party will implement laws and define them as we see fit, and Christians will be protected from discrimination and intimidation from groups opposed to Christianity and Christian values.
The tiny oppressed minority, people who are not Muslims. Constantly being assaulted by calls to prayer ringing out from bell towers all across the land.

The tiny number of people who are not Muslims will have their rights to be Christian and practice Christianity guaranteed.

No Jews.

Ignore that last one.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nominally you already live in a democracy where you can just vote out the person you don't want, but allegedly a driver for independence is that the UK keeps electing far right weirdos and gay frog believers are the "left wing alternative" which is why it is important we elect a gay frog believer as our left wing alternative in protest.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

https://www.greatbritainpeolesparty.co.uk/

And no, that is not a typo in the URL I posted there.

If you type peoples instead of peoles in the URL it redirects to peoles. As he obviously made a typo when buying his URL, why he didn't redirect it the other way I don't know. Maybe something to do with wix not allowing it?

Another ukip/brexit/reform style party.
May they split the tory vote even more.

Sounds like a right peole.

That dude looks like great evidence that ghosts exist.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

british pee'ole party

E: sounding great to me!

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

I got COVID this week.

My sister got COVID this week (haven't been in infection range for a few weeks so she didn't get it off me).

The HR guy from the job I start later this month who keeps checking in on me has got COVID too (not been in infection range of him either).

Now obviously the official line is that COVID is over and we should all burn our masks, breathe on our grannies and lick each other's faces all day every day, but am I and the people I know just some freakish hotspot, or is there another massive wave of cases silently sweeping the country?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's endemic, there's going to be covid cases like colds now, with the same level of care or monitoring involved.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The last notable wave was December, with deaths peaking in mid-January. Cases may be going back up again, but in the absence of proper testing and reporting :shrug:

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I'm fairly certain it's going around and doesn't show up on ye olde PCR tests anymore. There has been an absolute oval office of a flu making the rounds that lasts nearly 3 weeks, comes in bouts.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Positive tests in england are down 2.8% this week. But then so is testing in general.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
A few people went out with last weekend have reported in with it today, they both work with students. Three points of data isn't really a wave as much as it's a wobbling triangle, but maybe.

I'm usually the canary in the virion mine and somehow avoided it, obviously wasn't licking attentively enough.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Angrymog posted:

It was something like three people were bad. Over was fine, under was fine, but three was right out.

Some vague memory of it being bad luck to light 3 cigs off 1 match, maybe?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

OwlFancier posted:

It's endemic, there's going to be covid cases like colds now, with the same level of care or monitoring involved.

I got an email at the beginning of the month from the NHS that I "might" be suitable for COVID treatment if I get it, though I've no idea whether that's down to my diabetes or my recent cancer scare. They've sent a test kit, anyway...

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Runcible Cat posted:

Some vague memory of it being bad luck to light 3 cigs off 1 match, maybe?
wasnt that a trench warfare thing? Unlucky to have the third cigarette. First light attracts attention, second light zeroes in, the guy who lights up third catches the snipers bullet

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

kecske posted:

wasnt that a trench warfare thing? Unlucky to have the third cigarette. First light attracts attention, second light zeroes in, the guy who lights up third catches the snipers bullet

Originally yes, but IIRC it caught on generally.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think that's a later explanation of an existing superstition.

I've also heard that three altar candles are lit from the same taper, representing the trinity, so lighting three things with a match is blurring the line between the sacred and the profane (and also that the whole thing was just made up to sell more matches).

My take is that the third person probably burns their fingers.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah the sniper thing seems a bit silly as surely the lit cigarette also gives away your head's location, also the three of you could just... turn around. three people huddled together could easily hide the light from the flame.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Roller Coast Guard posted:

I got COVID this week.

My sister got COVID this week (haven't been in infection range for a few weeks so she didn't get it off me).

The HR guy from the job I start later this month who keeps checking in on me has got COVID too (not been in infection range of him either).

Now obviously the official line is that COVID is over and we should all burn our masks, breathe on our grannies and lick each other's faces all day every day, but am I and the people I know just some freakish hotspot, or is there another massive wave of cases silently sweeping the country?

Good friend in London has it, caught from someone at her work (she only goes in the office 2 days a week), my neighbour's niece has got it. Loads of people have, it is 'endemic' now I think.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

The three off one match is a coded message to your wingman to gently caress off and leave you and the lady alone.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

On line event this coming Monday evening: (includes Martin Forde on the panel)
You have to register

Post-Fordeism: Party and Political culture in a perma-crisis age with Martin Forde and Ruth Lister
Start: Monday, March 20, 2023 • 6:00 PM • Greenwich Mean Time : Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London (GMT+00:00)
End: Monday, March 20, 2023 • 7:15 PM • Greenwich Mean Time : Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London (GMT+00:00)
Virtual event
Host Contact Info: info@compassonline.org.uk

https://actionnetwork.org/events/post-fordeism-party-and-political-culture-in-a-perma-crisis-age

quote:

Join us on Monday 20th March at 6pm for discussion on our political culture, within parties and beyond them, post-Forde.

This event will be chaired by Baroness Ruth Lister who was also one of the independent inquiry team. Martin Forde KC who chaired the inquiry will be joined by other speakers Jennifer Nadel, Director of Compassion in Politics, human rights academic Francesca Klug OBE, and President of the US/Middle East Project Daniel Levy.

Also see this tweet:
https://twitter.com/Dam_McCarthy/status/1636398331835342849?s=20

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1636398688221241346

Lib Dems winning here

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I genuinely cannot imagine the starmer ultra who would be willing to behead pensioners in support of his leader.

What would such a person be like?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I genuinely cannot imagine the starmer ultra who would be willing to behead pensioners in support of his leader.

Peter Mandelson?
Easier to suck out the marrow if the head's been cut off, no?

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Gave starmer (a) head, allegedly

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

it is quite funny that ukip 2.0 (reform) is eating so much into the tory vote still

almost like brexit was a completely moronic gamble for selfish intraparty reasons

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Niric posted:

Gave starmer (a) head, allegedly

lyyyyyyyyn

lyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyn

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

The sensible #BeKind grown-ups are some of the biggest psychopaths out when they think they're not being watched.

Jel Shaker posted:

it is quite funny that ukip 2.0 (reform) is eating so much into the tory vote still

almost like brexit was a completely moronic gamble for selfish intraparty reasons
We brex'd and things didn't immediately go back to a racist 1950s laundry powder advert, so obviously we need to brex more.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Jel Shaker posted:

They could end up winning the next election. Tice, courtesy of his girlfriend, is sitting on a poo poo load of blackmail material. He also has the money and access to sway public opinion. We are going fascist. The next election will just decide how much of a step into fascism we take.

e: Lib Dem Fightback lol https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1636426548856143877

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 16, 2023

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Jeremy Hunt battling to justify pensions giveaway to the top 1%

i would prefer the news to actually explain this stuff rather than make it a he said she said thing, but as far as i understand it

doctors being higher earners are getting “trapped” in earning well enough to pay into a pension, but rapidly reaching the allowed limits in total amount or how much you’re allowed to save per year, hence a big tax bill for what can be a tiny amount over (because pension maths)

hunt in his wisdom has said that all workers can save as much as they want total and pay 60k per year into said pension, under cover that it will help retain doctors. However, how much most senior doctors earn isn’t too difficult to estimate (outliers withstanding) so an unlimited pension pot is not exactly warranted and it is probably more of a benefit to CEOs and mega earners in the city rather than doctors, and a huge tax break

so instead of improving the nhs, he’s probably going to retain a few edge cases, a few older doctors might add a session or too (but they’re winding down for retirement anyway) and no new doctors and a few people who earn megabucks have just gained an unlimited pension pot on behalf of the nhs?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah it's transparent BS, if it were really about the NHS (clap clap) then they could have had the law specify the NHS, just like how judges/courts service have some pensions exceptions (iirc Army officers too at one point).

Instead it's about granting big tax loopholes to city friends while making it look like something else.

Lemurtron
Aug 3, 2017

Jel Shaker posted:

Jeremy Hunt battling to justify pensions giveaway to the top 1%

i would prefer the news to actually explain this stuff rather than make it a he said she said thing, but as far as i understand it

doctors being higher earners are getting “trapped” in earning well enough to pay into a pension, but rapidly reaching the allowed limits in total amount or how much you’re allowed to save per year, hence a big tax bill for what can be a tiny amount over (because pension maths)

As far as I can understand it (because our tax system is overcomplicated) there is no limit to how much you can put into your pension, either annually or lifetime, the limits are where tax relief is no longer applied or when an extra tax is applied when accessing the pension. At present you can put up to 40k in each year, and get full tax relief on it (including National Insurance if you salary sacrifice, so effective relief of 20-52%). Over this you either don't get tax relief or have to pay it back via your tax return, but you don't have to stop making contributions (but without the relief there may be more tax advantageous places to put the money).

The lifetime allowance hits when you're accessing the pension, but it's much more complicated as it's based on valuations in the future, and how it's applied depends on the sort of pension and whether you're taking a lump sum etc. This could well have various edge cases and complications but on the whole the penalty applies to the *excess* over the allowance, and in many cases amounts to an effective income tax rate of 55%. So costly but you still get to keep almost half the excess.

The allowances are not limits, they're allowances where you can get advantageous tax rates (usually 0%) before you start paying higher rates of income tax. If you're going to be just on the edge of the limit I can see why they might not want the hassle, but if your pension has done well and grown you could end up over the limit even if you haven't been working for years. If you're in this sort of bracket you're going to able to use ISA allowances, VC trusts and various other forms of tax bullshittery to reduce or avoid tax as well (Pension+ISA+VCT totals 120k allowance a year, and couples can always arrange things between them to max all these out so double that). If you've maxed all these out I doubt you really need any extra help.

The pension tax relief is already a massive gift to high earners, someone who's financially stable and doesn't need all their salary can pour it into their pension, save many thousands in tax and NI every year, watch it grow for years tax free and even leave it to their family tax free when they die. This is, of course, of no use to lower earners who can't afford to do any of this and just allows the wealthy to get wealthier. The better solution if they were serious, other than only applying it to NHS staff, is to make the pension tax rules less bloody complicated so they work in a more progressive way, but you can say the same about the entire tax system. It's bullshit plain and simple.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

"boy I sure would like to get in a messy gossip fight with the King," muses man who assaulted somewhere between many and lots underage girls

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Yeah the pension thing is BS. There's no reason they couldn't just hike the pay for those doctors to whatever level is necessary to get them earning enough net of tax to keep doctoring.
You can accept paying them through the nose because you're taxing them through the arsehole at the same time and the money just recirculates back to the public purse.
That would have the side effect of addressing the problem that NHS salaries are failing to attract people in, so obviously we can't do that.

Doing it by shifting the pension tax brackets just so happens to help out a bunch of other high earners. The best bit is, if you're rich enough to leave the pension fund untouched, it avoids inheritance tax and your descendants can draw it down. Pow! Tax free intergenerational wealth transfer!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Google Jeb Bush posted:

"boy I sure would like to get in a messy gossip fight with the King," muses man who assaulted somewhere between many and lots underage girls
I hope he does. I have the perfect title for his book too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehYvseT27c4

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/PopulismUpdates/status/1636480873930592257?cxt=HHwWgsDUxear-bUtAAAA
:stonk:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ah that's why his home secretaries wanted to ban videos game that glorify mass murderers.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Guavanaut posted:

Ah that's why his home secretaries wanted to ban videos game that glorify mass murderers.

I've never been entirely sure why there wasn't a major moral panic around Hitman

the most recent trilogy is all about killing awful rich people, which seems like it might upset some folks

otoh it also leans heavily into killing people with bananas, improbably slow homing briefcases, and explosive rubber ducks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Lord knows they were trying.
https://www.standard.co.uk/tech/hitman-adverts-in-women-s-toilet-cubicles-don-t-look-quite-like-they-re-supposed-to-a3198531.html