Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

if i just want an apple watch for running (so I can listen to my apple music without a phone), should i just get an SE2? or should I get a 7 or 8?

I'm not into buying outdated hardware, so whatever is the cheapest option with GPS accuracy??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

if i just want an apple watch for running (so I can listen to my apple music without a phone), should i just get an SE2? or should I get a 7 or 8?

I'm not into buying outdated hardware, so whatever is the cheapest option with GPS accuracy??

https://www.apple.com/watch/compare/

That will show you the differences in models so you can buy the one that best suits you.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If you watch the deal sites you can get a really good deal on the 7 or 8.

Like a 7 45mm for $279 a few days ago.

If you were in the military or know someone who was the military exchange had the Apple Watch SE GPS 44mm for $179 but who knows when that deal would come back.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

If you plan to train for, or run a marathon distance, I’d highly recommend the Ultra. The battery on a non-Ultra only lasts 4ish hours with GPS/music/cellular while tracking a run.

If you just run a few miles at a time, any will work just fine, battery-wise.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

If you plan to train for, or run a marathon distance, I’d highly recommend the Ultra. The battery on a non-Ultra only lasts 4ish hours with GPS/music/cellular while tracking a run.

If you just run a few miles at a time, any will work just fine, battery-wise.
Oh, well, that’s some real poo poo. I had no idea :( dunno how I feel about spending so much on an ultra

E: maybe I’ll just buy a cheap one and not use it for run tracking, just music, and hang on to my current running watch

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 6, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Oh, well, that’s some real poo poo. I had no idea :( dunno how I feel about spending so much on an ultra

E: maybe I’ll just buy a cheap one and not use it for run tracking, just music, and hang on to my current running watch

Yeah the cheapest you could get it is $699 with no tax.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

What are you poor or something, your wallet not feeling Ultra enough? :smugdon:

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
Any fellow untreated sleep apnea bros have the oxygen sensor feature? Interested to see if you can actually peep O2 drops when your neck fat cops a plea.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Went out today, I was really surprised at how many Ultra watch bands I saw on non-Ultra watches, including, obviously, knock offs on 41mm Apple watches.

Feels incredibly weird that Apple has become such of a low-key style tastemaker, I wouldn't even describe the Ultra bands as particularly good.

But also, buy the Ultra. It is just perfect.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames

Three Olives posted:

Went out today, I was really surprised at how many Ultra watch bands I saw on non-Ultra watches, including, obviously, knock offs on 41mm Apple watches.

Feels incredibly weird that Apple has become such of a low-key style tastemaker, I wouldn't even describe the Ultra bands as particularly good.

But also, buy the Ultra. It is just perfect.

Yeah what would apple know about being a design tastemaker 🥺

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

nom epique posted:

Yeah what would apple know about being a design tastemaker 🥺

Let me rephrase on statement that seems stupid for obvious reasons...

Someone put a fake orange alpine loop on a 42mm aluminum Apple Watch and went in public.

Of course, I wear an Ultra and no one is going to confuse me with an athlete so I guess fair is fair.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

All I know is I just got the stainless steel link as a special treat to myself to go with my Titanium S6 and it's real nice.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I bought the $6 Ali express trail loop for my S6. It looked great.

then bought an Ultra like 2 weeks later with the trail loop

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
man the ultra owns. 15 minutes into a half marathon distance I realized I forgot to charge the watch, checked the battery and it was at 22% - took a chance and the 10% alert went off with about 5km to go and made it back with 4% to spare. Took me 2:28h all in all. Amazing coming from the regular watch.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I have a 2nd gen SE LTE. I go running around my neighborhood several times a week while streaming music and track my runs using the Nike Run Club app.

In the middle of my neighborhood there’s one house I run by that interrupts my Bluetooth connection to my airpods for a second or two every time I run by it. Annoying, but manageable. However, I’ve noticed that particularly when it’s rainy outside (though one time during clear weather) sometimes a little bit after I run past this house, my watch will just die.

I’ll turn it back on and it’ll show only 10% battery life remaining despite being ~95% at the start of the run. It also interrupts my run and I need to force close the NRC app then restart it which luckily allows me to pick up where I left off.

After my run, if I then turn the watch off and back on, the displayed battery life jumps from 10% to about 65%. I have no idea what’s going on here and it happens frequently enough to be really annoying. Any idea what’s causing this or if there’s anything I can do to avoid it? It’s making me want to hold my breath in trepidation every time I go past this house which as you can imagine, isn’t great when you’re running.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

You found a CIA safe house.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Zwille posted:

man the ultra owns. 15 minutes into a half marathon distance I realized I forgot to charge the watch, checked the battery and it was at 22% - took a chance and the 10% alert went off with about 5km to go and made it back with 4% to spare. Took me 2:28h all in all. Amazing coming from the regular watch.

Not gonna try and take away from the fact that the ultra has the biggest battery ever in an Apple watch but you also gotta account for the new battery effect. I did 15k today and my S8 used 30% in four hours.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Eh, maybe thats me coming from a small size Apple Watch too and not being sure if I could finish marathons even on a full charge. I think even with the 6 or 7 or whatever the last one I had I couldn’t make it past 6 hour workouts really.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I ran a 3:53 marathon in 2021 and my S6 died within 5 mins of crossing the finish line. My longer training runs for it were all pushing it too. The battery is still the weak point of the apple watch, even after it being on the market the better part of a decade.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I ran a 3:53 marathon in 2021 and my S6 died within 5 mins of crossing the finish line. My longer training runs for it were all pushing it too. The battery is still the weak point of the apple watch, even after it being on the market the better part of a decade.

That's about how long we've been pushing the limits of li-ion. We've come a long way, but chemistry and physics will limit us for now on goals towards our watches, our electric vehicles, and the stars.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

what's the state of the art in knockoff bands that are safe to put on human skin? niece needs a new band and her mom will be cross if I pay full freight for it, but I figure I can get away with some knockoff thing.

I guess I should figure out what size she has too, hmm.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Why does she care what you pay for it?

But you can probably just buy whatever on Amazon or Ali Express. You'll have to factor in a couple week lead time in for the latter, however. But yeah, measure her wrist.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

IME the fabric bands are the safest ones to buy off Ali. The rubber bands do not have the same coating that the official ones do

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Painfully dumb q but since we’re on the subject, there’s not like…lead or anything in my $10 Amazon-sourced milanese band?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

That has never been reported or even implied afaik but to the prospect of definitively proving the safety of drop-shipped knockoff products I say: lol, lmao

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Taste it. If it's sweet, there's probably lead in it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Why does she care what you pay for it?

She gets weird about gifts, just trust me on this.

Thanks for the tips, I’ll look around on Amazon and AE.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I just noticed that Amazon music now allows you to download playlists to your watch. Super pumped because it would be useful for being out and about.

Tried to download it twice and nothing happened. It tells you to charge the watch and have the phone with Amazon music up but nothing happened.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

buglord posted:

Painfully dumb q but since we’re on the subject, there’s not like…lead or anything in my $10 Amazon-sourced milanese band?

You can buy lead test kits at the hardware store if you’re really concerned. Short of that, probably not. Honestly I’ve seen more issues with cheap faux leather stuff having a bunch of lead in it than cheap metal.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like a lot of you would be fine with the battery on a non-Ultra watch if you just ran faster.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
But still, get the Ultra. It’s the most perfect Apple Watch yet.

Also I’ve never used any of the workout stuff on it and likely never will.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

But still, get the Ultra. It’s the most perfect Apple Watch yet.

Also I’ve never used any of the workout stuff on it and likely never will.

You should workout. Exercise is cool and good.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

You should workout. Exercise is cool and good.

I’ve been doing the fitness+ stuff since getting my watch and although the tech is cool and they’re good workouts, most of the instructors are just obnoxious and awful. This is 100% brought to you by the version of Apple that thought installing a U2 album on everyone’s phone would be this radical gift to our collective cultural life.

I tried doing one set to a Rolling Stones soundtrack and the guy kept playing air guitar and telling me how the workout fit the ‘rebellious nature’ of the stones. Another stopped during a daft punk track to tell me that the robot voice singing was not, in fact, the singers natural singing voice, but a voice put through an effect. The ‘rockin out’ workout playlist starts with yellow by Coldplay and ends with Wonderwall.
They’re constantly telling me how I showed up and that’s what counts. I’ve never been to California, let alone the Apple campus, but it’s exactly what I imagine people there to be like.

Eventually choosing a workout is a weird puzzle of the kind of workout you like, with music you don’t hate (but it can’t be music you love because the instructors will ruin it for you), led by the instructor you hate the least.

On the upside, you end up persevering with the full workout because you don’t want to let them win.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

The Grumbles posted:

I’ve been doing the fitness+ stuff since getting my watch and although the tech is cool and they’re good workouts, most of the instructors are just obnoxious and awful. This is 100% brought to you by the version of Apple that thought installing a U2 album on everyone’s phone would be this radical gift to our collective cultural life.

I tried doing one set to a Rolling Stones soundtrack and the guy kept playing air guitar and telling me how the workout fit the ‘rebellious nature’ of the stones. Another stopped during a daft punk track to tell me that the robot voice singing was not, in fact, the singers natural singing voice, but a voice put through an effect. The ‘rockin out’ workout playlist starts with yellow by Coldplay and ends with Wonderwall.
They’re constantly telling me how I showed up and that’s what counts. I’ve never been to California, let alone the Apple campus, but it’s exactly what I imagine people there to be like.

Eventually choosing a workout is a weird puzzle of the kind of workout you like, with music you don’t hate (but it can’t be music you love because the instructors will ruin it for you), led by the instructor you hate the least.

On the upside, you end up persevering with the full workout because you don’t want to let them win.

This was a great post and a solid summary of the product, thanks for sharing your experience with it. I’ll check it out sometime… or not. But I do probably need to exercise so I don’t die early of some strange cause.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I think your criticisms would likely apply to most instructor-based digital classes - our household beta tested one of those Peloton Moves, and the vast majority of instructors were pretty terrible and very "Downtown NYC" feeling. I can certainly see why their product wouldn't be relatable to middle America (price, too).

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Corb3t posted:

I think your criticisms would likely apply to most instructor-based digital classes - our household beta tested one of those Peloton Moves, and the vast majority of instructors were pretty terrible and very "Downtown NYC" feeling. I can certainly see why their product wouldn't be relatable to middle America (price, too).

No, there’s something specifically Apple about the fitness+ instructors. Instructor brain with added California brain with added Apple brain. There are plenty of YouTube instructors out there who are not as insufferable, but I like the heart rate overlay.

I’m not American.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

The Grumbles posted:

I’ve been doing the fitness+ stuff since getting my watch and although the tech is cool and they’re good workouts, most of the instructors are just obnoxious and awful.

Hah. I enjoyed a lot of the instructors but as an urban Californian I guess I’m completely numb/unaware of the culture at this point. I do enjoy the “showing up is what counts” attitude because I think the overall goal is to get people to exercise in any fashion, as long as they do so consistently, since the alternative is being sedentary. It’s why I’m trying to get my mom to sign up. She’s one of those people who could benefit from exercise as she’s getting older and is self conscious about keeping up with the fitness class and is allergic to meathead “one more rep” types.

That all said, yeah California culture is a trip and about as shallow and contradictory as the celebrities. I don’t blame anyone for taking a whiff of it and gagging.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Every single exercise video I have ever seen has been obnoxious garbage. This trait isn't unique to fitness+.

I guess Apple could have done the right thing and fixed the problem, but I have doubts that's possible.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

The problem is I think most people enjoy it, and we are in the minority. Exercise class products and businesses, if done well or even marginally well, have been able to be quite profitable. I dunno what they would even call the section of Fitness+ that might appeal to us haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
There’s also uhh…hmm… https://www.nerdfitness.com/ if you want to Level Up your irl STR stat with your favorite heroes, right?