Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
We here have returned to DST, or in other words, it is time for my yearly complaining about how stupid it is, and no 9-5 office workers I don't care about how you like shopping after work when the sun is up

Everything in this society is designed for 9-5 monday-friday work, please let the normies like my family who wake up and go to bed opposite your schedule because we serve you have something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

We here have returned to DST, or in other words, it is time for my yearly complaining about how stupid it is, and no 9-5 office workers I don't care about how you like shopping after work when the sun is up

Everything in this society is designed for 9-5 monday-friday work, please let the normies like my family who wake up and go to bed opposite your schedule because we serve you have something.

Hi I'm a 9-5 office drone and I think DST is hella freaking stupid. I don't even care if I can go shopping after work or some poo poo...? I don't do that anyway. I do it on a day off like a normal person.

Show me one reason to keep DST around and I will show you half a dozen why it's loving stupid and actively harmful to society and should be gotten rid of.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm just salty for getting an hour less sleep last night. Abolish this bullshit

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Farmers?!?!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

oldpainless posted:

Farmers?!?!

They sit in the tractor cab sipping coffee while gps machine control guides it down the rows, what do they need daylight for

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCN08mPjCbs

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always hate overly presumptuous names for videos, like Sabrespark is fine overall, but I dislike the videos like "What Ruined Star Vs the Forces of Evil?" because it assumes that the ending was universally disliked, which it wasn't. I didn't feel it was ruined at all, and it colours people's opinions of the show that haven't seen it. Something like "Why I dislike the ending of Star Vs" would probably be more accurate.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

BioEnchanted posted:

I always hate overly presumptuous names for videos, like Sabrespark is fine overall, but I dislike the videos like "What Ruined Star Vs the Forces of Evil?" because it assumes that the ending was universally disliked, which it wasn't. I didn't feel it was ruined at all, and it colours people's opinions of the show that haven't seen it. Something like "Why I dislike the ending of Star Vs" would probably be more accurate.

What does any of this mean??

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

credburn posted:

What does any of this mean??

Raging against clickbait sensationalist video essay titles meant to drive clicks, views, and engagement via manifestos in the comments that disagree with the video

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I hate it on shows when there's an interior scene which is meant to be happening at night time, but you can clearly see daylight behind the blinds or curtains.

It seems like such an obvious oversight that there must be some technical or stylistic reason for it, but it really makes it hard for me to engage with the action.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I noticed something like this during the Blade episode of Community, where the "urban nighttime" lighting outside the window was brighter than any daytime lighting.

It ended up feeling like some kind of intense polar twilight, like Insomnia

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Brawnfire posted:

Okay, thanks! I'll keep doing it then because I definitely enjoy the breath freshening part.

I figure it's gotta be going in and clearing out some biofilms under my tongue or some poo poo. Who knows? It's doing its job even if that job is Associate Director of Minty Placebos FX.

Also my phone did a complete update and it sucks. But the worst is that I used to be able to tap the wifi button in my menu and it would disconnect and reconnect. My phone tends to hang on the wi-fi and this would help. But now it takes me to the network setup menu. So my wi-fi still hangs but the two-second fix I used was just axed.

I swear there's no end to the petty little psychological war being waged against me
Most recent update changed the Google map widget to be horrible :( I used to have a single 1x1 icon that instantly started navigation home. Now I have a monstrously large icon with a bunch of poo poo I don't need, and it takes 3 clicks to get navigation home started.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I get that any retail is a lovely job. I did it for years before I got out of college to pay (some of) my way through.

But just because it's a lovely job doesn't mean you get de facto permission to be an rear end in a top hat. Some checkout person was an absolute jerk to my wife tonight, who needed to get out of the house after working a 60-hour week at home. It ruined my wife's evening, and while I'd love to light that rear end in a top hat up I know that A) they're probably not in a great spot and B) this is relatively small potatoes. I don't want to put someone out of a job for a dumb rear end in a top hat moment. So yeah, just peeved impotence right now.

Obviously this would be even less of a big deal if my wife wasn't pulling out her hair with stress. :(

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
You could always just give them a 9/10 on the customer satisfaction survey

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Inspector 34 posted:

You could always just give them a 9/10 on the customer satisfaction survey

I said I don't wanna get them fired dammit!

Also capitalism sucks, and middle managers do too t:mad:t

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
The best rear end in a top hat armour you can have is to assume that people are having a lovely time and try to basically forgive them for it. Otherwise you'd just be surrounded by terrible people , and that can't be the case, right?

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021

BioEnchanted posted:

Not that I care about Star Wars, but I found this image a while back and it's just a testament to how bad writing is nowadays. I'm no curmudgeon who thinks things are constantly getting worse, but the titling of essays and articles alone these days is absurd. They're biased from the outset, they're way way way too long, and sometimes downright stupid. Here's one from LADbible:

Ignoring the two prepositional phrases used in a row, I can't even make a joke about the redundancy of this title. It's like "Fun facts about the chair I sit in, which holds my butt as I take a seat"

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Indiana Jones and the Mystery of Video of Steve Irwin's Death Which Caught His Final Moments On Camera

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

the holy poopacy posted:

Indiana Jones and the Mystery of Video of Steve Irwin's Death Which Caught His Final Moments On Camera

He belongs in a mausoleum!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

"Irwin death video," while snappier and preferred for headlines, might be too morbid in its bluntness. (Not for me, mind you.)

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Memes about 'needing a little sweet treat every hour', not folding your laundry, etc. Have some shame!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

When I go to click a tab and hit the X, so I have to re-open the closed tab. Half a second of pure fury.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

I hate this so much. It's not quite as bad as the other type of headline I see, which is SOMEONE BROKE THE INTERNET!

"breaking the Internet" was dumb by the mid-aughts but I am always pissed off when I see "SOMEONE" on a headline or on the big fuckin block of text that takes up half of the lovely video being shared from some ebaumsworld-rear end content-aggregator because in almost all cases credit could be given, but because I guess SOMEONE sells better than actual credit, it's left out, and the actual original artist is pushed further and further away into obscurity until we ultimately don't know who broke the loving Internet.

caspergers posted:

Here's one from LADbible:

I don't know what LAD is, but every single headline or anything I've ever seen associated with LAD is written like garbage and feels intentionally so

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

When I go to click a tab and hit the X, so I have to re-open the closed tab. Half a second of pure fury.

When I try to click on a link on a web page, but the browser hasn't quite finished rendering it, and the content jumps around just before I click on it, causing me to click the wrong thing.
Or worse, if I'm browsing on my phone and an advert decides to pop up or expand right over the top of the thing I wanted to click on!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
My headline pet peeve is "X doesn't care what you think"

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

When you try to switch a tab, but instead accidentally only press a number and jump to a random spot in a 2 hour long youtube video you've been listening to in the background.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Steve Irwin’s death video still stings

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

CelticPredator posted:

Steve Irwin’s death video still stings

:rimshot:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Zoom in casual photography / video making.

Stop it. It never looks good. It never, never, never looks good. Stop it.

Unless you have an actual lens that does neat things, but even then it looks good only like four percent of the time.

Stop using the zoom. This has been a popular opinion since the dawn of fuckin photography, it's objectively bad, why do we still keep using it?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

credburn posted:

Zoom in casual photography / video making.

Stop it. It never looks good. It never, never, never looks good. Stop it.

Unless you have an actual lens that does neat things, but even then it looks good only like four percent of the time.

Stop using the zoom. This has been a popular opinion since the dawn of fuckin photography, it's objectively bad, why do we still keep using it?

Because the cool bird will fly away if I get any closer op

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Killingyouguy! posted:

Because the cool bird will fly away if I get any closer op

I have a huge collection of pixels that resemble cute bunnies in the backyard.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

gently caress yeah love a bunny

For me it's woodpeckers. We didn't have them where I grew up so now every time I see one I need to take 15 blurry photos.

One time I saw one that had crawled into a hollowed branch and it kept poking its head out a little hole to throw away debris!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I guess this goes a step beyond a mere pet peeve but slurs I guess are a peeve?

gently caress them, and gently caress the people who use them.

I am siting here, annoyed, because some cute (I thought!) name I came up with in a game is tripping the profanity filter or something?! (Pocket, as in Pocket Monsters!)

I don't even want to know what lovely slur it is. I'm just annoyed that it exists and I can't give this thing the stupid pun name I came up with. This is cramping my style and I am extremely annoyed!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Pocket was a character in Shakespeare.

Oh, knowing that, yeah it probably was some sex pun

Brawnfire posted:

Pockets can contain vile lints

:golfclap:

credburn has a new favorite as of 03:07 on Mar 17, 2023

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Pockets can contain vile lints

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Am I the idiot for thinking I can ask a question about cemetery records to the cemetery records office at a cemetery and get a response about the cemetery records? Or any response at all? I know a cemetery is a busy field, people are dying to get in, but still throw me a bone.

Also contacting the central library's local history department with a local history question and they... Google it. I can Google! That's where I got the vague info I'm trying to corroborate. Perhaps y'all got some relevant books or documents in your department I could peruse? It's massive and I don't know where to start, please. You don't have to read it for me, just... if it might cover my topic of interest you can mention it. Please don't send me another website.

I guess my pet peeve is the foolish hope someone with expertise can help me. I'm in this poo poo on my own.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
People in online discussions who drop links to something without any context.

I think if someone posts a link to a youtube video they should provide like a two sentence explanation for why it's relevant to the conversation and what they want the viewer to get out of it. I probably wouldn't watch a 30 minute discussion video that a close friend linked me, why would you think a group of strangers would click this link based solely on the fact that you find it worth sharing? You've contributed nothing!

It's something that works for sharing a tweet because they're (usually) self contained in the single embed, but not for a lengthy blog post someone has to take 20 minutes out of their day to read in its entirety.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I've complained about it with YouTube links on these forums and apparently a lot of it is from people using mobile apps that automatically embed videos on their end with a thumbnail and title and description even if they aren't tagged as being videos. Then they don't know that other users aren't seeing the same things that they are.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

A lot of people seemed to have forgotten that image manipulation existed before deep fake or AI.

Like if there is some photo where someones face has been replaced with another person, someone will comment "that's not real, that AI."

It's pedantic, but it just feels like people assume humanity is so helpless that nothing is possible without a filter in an app or an AI tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Edit: somehow posted in the wrong thread on mobile????