Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Non-kyujo trades are for cowards.

Trade Request: Trading Wakatakakage for Kiribayama, Kotonowaka, or Wakamotoharu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
Yeah, this coward has seen enough.

Trade request: Trade Wakatakakage for Kiribayama, Daieisho, or Kotonowaka, in that order of preference.

ratmosphere
Oct 31, 2017

Khizan posted:

Trade Request: Trading Wakatakakage for Kiribayama, Kotonowaka, or Wakamotoharu.

Who is that guy in the picture? Some former wrestler maybe?

Not trading. Diamond hands baby.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

ratmosphere posted:

Just some nerd who once henka'd Harumafuji. He gives bad advice.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
The NHK commentator on the Japanese side from the other night, mr miyagi or something.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Very much on board with this but wow it's hard to stick to with some of my picks...

Nowhere to go but up for two of my guys!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Takayasu remains juicy, this is the most important thing to me.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

ratmosphere posted:

Not trading. Diamond hands baby.

Yokozuna from WWF fame

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://clips.twitch.tv/HedonisticSavoryStrawberryDoritosChip-HmZFAYmjbTtb_DXu
Hell of a finish.

*edit*
Sorry! Not a Juryo/Makuuchi match, just Sandanme.

Bentai fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Mar 16, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

lmao

(For those worried about clicking this since it's unlabeled, it's a Sandanme match, no makuuchi spoilers)

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Alas, friend, I fear you have forgotten that

Khizan posted:

Tiny Bug Child posted:

Yeah, this coward has seen enough.

Trade request: Trade Wakatakakage for Kiribayama, Daieisho, or Kotonowaka, in that order of preference.

Thauros posted:

ok i'm used to a slow start from him but his form looks way off. kenning, i'd like to trade Wakatakakage for Kirabayama, Wakamotoharu or Tobizaru in order of preference. wakatakakage fans can thank me when he proceeds to rattle off a bunch of wins from this point forward

Dead Goon posted:

@Kenning please could I trade Wakatakakage for either of my other picks in that bracket (Daieisho or Hoshoryu, preferably Daieisho)

Thank you.

Robviously posted:

Requesting a trade of Kotoshoho for Midorifuji or Abi in that order.

All trades registered Day 5.

Sorry to see Takakeisho looking so soft, but delighted to see Hokuseiho looking strong at his debut. Also pleased to see Nishiki- and Midorifuji doing solid sumo, and looking forward once again to Takayasu making a strong run and breaking everyone's hearts in the final weekend, according to tradition. Also, Kotonowaka is displaying strong, journeyman sumo and anticipate a nice double-digit record from him this basho.

Day 4 standings:

Makuuchi
code:
16	NuclearPotato
15	Akiosan
15	MyChemicalImbalance
14	Everyones Favorite Poster
14	GoatSeeGuy
14	Iron Chef Nex
14	Marching Powder
13	Ice Phisherman
13	LlamaTrauma
13	Saturnine Aberrance
13	Teddybear
12	anakha
12	Banana Canada
12	Mode 7
12	Thauros
12	Tiny Bug Child
12	Vargatron
11	Kenning
11	Kuros
11	MalarkeyToboggan
11	pseudodragon
10	Eli949
10	Fluffdaddy
10	Jobbo_Fett
10	Khizan
10	ratmosphere
10	scripterror
10	sivad
9	bartolimu
9	Helianthus Annuus
9	Pakled
8	captainblastum
8	Tochiazuma
7	Netsky
6	Charles Gnarwin
6	Crusty Nutsack
5	Communist Thoughts
5	Flinger
5	Liquid Communism
Juryo
code:
17	Beexoffel
15	Gaghskull
15	Lid
15	riderchop
14	PJ
13	Ben Nerevarine
13	rare Magic card l00k
12	bessantj
12	Brut
12	do it on my face
12	Fearless
12	Robviously
12	ullerrm
11	Elissimpark
11	Log082
11	QuasiQuack
11	Single Tight Female
11	whats for dinner
9	Average Lettuce
9	Bentai
9	ImplicitAssembler
9	Nativity In Black
9	Pvt. Public
8	Chinook
8	Eldoop
8	Samuel L. Hacksaw
7	oldskool
7	Xerzes
6	Dead Goon
5	Boogalo

my cat is norris posted:

i've decided that i've not watched enough to know enough to make a good draft thing, but i am enjoying my new awakening to sumo and greatly appreciate my more knowledgeable friend for being so excited to share all sumo secrets with me.

i am a low rank gyoji!! i don't even have socks!! i can't even touch the dohyo because i'm a woman!! but i do like seeing those men do wrestling things.

maybe tonight i'll be able to watch more again...if not, then friday for sure. :( been too busy this week even for VODs!

edit: i have learned SHODAI

Welcome to sumo! I hope you spend a lot of time on Wikipedia, it's a great source for loads of good information. It's fair to not join fantasy this tournament, but I hope you join next time, since even if you only select a random slate of guys it makes the bashos even more fun and helps you recognize dudes lower down. It's great fun.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Mar 16, 2023

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
Wow, a remarkable shift in my position compared to the previous two bashos!
I thank you Kenning, for picking these good rikishi for me from my choices.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

WTK got me where I am and I will sink with him

E:

Flinger fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Mar 16, 2023

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
Kiribayama busting out the capoeira!

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Seeing Hokuseiho fighting Ichinojo made me realize how big Hokuseiho is lol

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Surprised at Hokuseiho so far, he wasn't exactly dominant in juryo but he's looked great, OTOH Oho looks like he needs some new ideas after some promising tournaments at makuuchi.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Surprised at Hokuseiho so far, he wasn't exactly dominant in juryo but he's looked great, OTOH Oho looks like he needs some new ideas after some promising tournaments at makuuchi.

Which promising tournaments?

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Brut posted:

Which promising tournaments?

Lmao yeah he's better in my head than he is on paper. He's looked strong and able at times, but he's also going on losing streaks. I was hopeful he'd mature and get to know what style to bring to be consistent in the top division but outside of November he hasn't delivered on that.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I see Ichinojo isn't loving around.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Preordered some fun. Hope they come through but I gather they have blocks allocated or something so not terribly worried.

:getin:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Mar 16, 2023

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Did I accidentally pick Nishikigi instead of Nishikifuji in my rush to get a team in last minute? Yes. Is this playing out in literally the worst way possible for far? Also yes.

Never should have doubted Takayasu. I thought he might be broken mentally at this point but this might finally be his time to not choke! Quote thise post in 10 days when he chokes

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I had Kotoeko, Shodai and Takayasu in my original top picks but 2nd guessed myself. Need to stop that. The more I've been overthinking picks the worse I've done.

I have Oho, Hokutofuji, and Kotoshoho 🙃 three whole points between all of them out of possible 15

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 16, 2023

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

I love his style, but Sadanoumi is just making me sad this week.

Trade request: Exchange Sadanoumi for Takayasu, Nishikifuji, or Endo.

Guineapig
Sep 8, 2005

Louder is not Better
New to this thread but wife and I have been watching Sumo on NHK on US public TV for a few years now. Half-hour highlights every day of the tourney and 45-50 minutes live in the wee hours first day, 8th day, and final day. It's remarkable what a fuller experience the live version is compared to the highlights. I can only imagine what it must be like to be there, but the commute is much shorter this way. I can't tell on TV if in-person people can see replays on a big screen(s), or if they're limited to what they see live.

It's been amazing to see Shodai jump back to form after being visibly dispirited for too long, and we're rooting again for Takayasu despite having hearts broken repeatedly. Some people shine in the big moments, others seem to wither at pivotal times. Takayasu seems like one of those latter, but we still have hope.

I'm impressed with the Fantasy Sumo here and all of your dedication, especially Kenning at keeping all of that together.

An irrelevant question about the audience, who we like seeing in the broadcasts: In the last few bashos, we've become aware of varying numbers of seemingly random people all wearing some kind of plain brown single layer jacket (like an apron but a coat) over their regular clothes. They are always sitting behind the rikishi , sometimes on one side, sometimes on both, but always in the most ringside seats. Anybody know what that's all about?

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
I noticed those jackets too, as something I had not seen in earlier bashos.
They remind me of the happi jackets for festivals, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happi .

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Guineapig posted:

New to this thread but wife and I have been watching Sumo on NHK on US public TV for a few years now. Half-hour highlights every day of the tourney and 45-50 minutes live in the wee hours first day, 8th day, and final day. It's remarkable what a fuller experience the live version is compared to the highlights. I can only imagine what it must be like to be there, but the commute is much shorter this way. I can't tell on TV if in-person people can see replays on a big screen(s), or if they're limited to what they see live.

Definitely in the Kokugikan (Tokyo) but I believe also in the other arenas, there are no screens in the main room at all during Sumo, that's why the wrestlers stop at a small screen in the exit hallway to watch their own replay. When you're there if you don't listen carefully to the head shimpan after a monoii you might not have any idea what happened (though of course you can then just look it up on your phone somewhere while the next wrestlers are throwing salt and such)

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Guineapig posted:

An irrelevant question about the audience, who we like seeing in the broadcasts: In the last few bashos, we've become aware of varying numbers of seemingly random people all wearing some kind of plain brown single layer jacket (like an apron but a coat) over their regular clothes. They are always sitting behind the rikishi , sometimes on one side, sometimes on both, but always in the most ringside seats. Anybody know what that's all about?

Those are the Brown Coats, they watch sumo for the love of the sport and not for any one Rikishi. Here is some more info I stole from reddit:

They are part of the organization Osaka Touzai-kai (大阪東西会) http://www.touzaikai.org/ It is sort of a club that takes a bunch of money to join and you support the continued existence of the basho like NPR or PBS. In return you get good seats and probably better behind the scenes access. [And wear the sweet brown happi (ハッピ)] I believe the minimum is around $15k per year but I bet some are spending more. This is called a Tamari-kai, which is a little bit different than a Kouen-kai, which is a club that supports individual wrestlers or heya. Kouen-kai minimums are much cheaper.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
^ link correction http://touzaikai.org (the www. breaks it)

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Lexorin posted:

Those are the Brown Coats, they watch sumo for the love of the sport and not for any one Rikishi. Here is some more info I stole from reddit:

They are part of the organization Osaka Touzai-kai (大阪東西会) http://www.touzaikai.org/ It is sort of a club that takes a bunch of money to join and you support the continued existence of the basho like NPR or PBS. In return you get good seats and probably better behind the scenes access. [And wear the sweet brown happi (ハッピ)] I believe the minimum is around $15k per year but I bet some are spending more. This is called a Tamari-kai, which is a little bit different than a Kouen-kai, which is a club that supports individual wrestlers or heya. Kouen-kai minimums are much cheaper.

Thanks, interesting!

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Ichinojo vs Hokuseiho: When worlds-sized men collide

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I just got caught up on the basho through Kintamayama's vids.

Was there ever an update on them continuing? Is he just forging ahead until he gets shut down again?

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Some funny moves on the dohyo on day 5! Old man Tamawashi's Ura-roll, Kotoshoho's belly flop, Kiribayama's little twirl, and of course Hoshoryu's bm-trip after the bell

Also, that was a very rough (but fair) reversal on the Wakatakakage - Mitakeumi bout. The audience were NOT on board.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I just got caught up on the basho through Kintamayama's vids.

Was there ever an update on them continuing? Is he just forging ahead until he gets shut down again?

Seems like he's just carrying on, even Natto is just back to completely normal using high quality NHK footage, videos aren't unlisted or anything either, I thought I'd have to be checking some discord for links or something, but not so far.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
Day 5: Takayasu was absolutely not having any Ura bullshit lmao, it was surprising to see such a restrained tachiai from him but it worked!

Guineapig
Sep 8, 2005

Louder is not Better

Brut posted:

Definitely in the Kokugikan (Tokyo) but I believe also in the other arenas, there are no screens in the main room at all during Sumo, that's why the wrestlers stop at a small screen in the exit hallway to watch their own replay. When you're there if you don't listen carefully to the head shimpan after a monoii you might not have any idea what happened (though of course you can then just look it up on your phone somewhere while the next wrestlers are throwing salt and such)

Yes, that explains why they need to look at the little screens in the wings. Thanks!

Lexorin posted:

They are part of the organization Osaka Touzai-kai (大阪東西会) [url] http://touzaikai.org[/url] It is sort of a club that takes a bunch of money to join and you support the continued existence of the basho like NPR or PBS. In return you get good seats and probably better behind the scenes access. [And wear the sweet brown happi (ハッピ)] I believe the minimum is around $15k per year but I bet some are spending more. This is called a Tamari-kai, which is a little bit different than a Kouen-kai, which is a club that supports individual wrestlers or heya. Kouen-kai minimums are much cheaper.

Wow, that's incredible! Thanks for posting that.

It's hard to imagine that it is, but is that a new organization? I looked at the linked website but don't read Japanese, so...

It's also hard to believe that we never noticed them before, but they must have been there. Good for them for supporting Sumo so much. If they can afford that, they must be able to travel around to see each basho.

A lot of exciting matches on Day 5.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Guineapig posted:

It's hard to imagine that it is, but is that a new organization? I looked at the linked website but don't read Japanese, so...
(courtesy of google/chrome translate)
One of the buttons leads to news.html which has exactly one item on it from 2012 saying the website has just been launched, another button leads to about.html which reads:

Touzaikai About Page posted:

Tozai Kai is an organization established in March 1937, cooperating with the activities of the Japan Sumo Association, aiming to encourage and promote sumo, as well as to contribute to social morality and social welfare through sumo. was established as

The main activities of the association are as follows.

(1) Members shall watch performances every day at the Osaka Honbasho.
(2) Prizes will be given to wrestlers with excellent results at the above tournaments.
However, the details of the award will be determined by the Board of Directors on a case-by-case basis.
(3) Hold a promotion meeting for low-ranked wrestlers from their hometowns at each Osaka Honbasho.
(4) Sponsor student sumo and adult sumo.
(5) Participate in or cooperate with projects that contribute to social welfare.
(6) Other projects necessary to achieve the purpose of the Association.

So no, seems like it's pre-war.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Kenning posted:

looking forward once again to Takayasu making a strong run and breaking everyone's hearts in the final weekend, according to tradition.

One day he’s gonna do it and it will be a great day

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Shodai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Day 6: drat, the guys who win against Takakeisho take huge stacks of sponsorship money home. Is that actually a lot of money?