Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
RIP to a real one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

GonSmithe posted:

“New” (it’s been around as a casual format for a bit) official Commander-like format: Oathbreaker

https://magic.wizards.com/en/formats/oathbreaker

1 Planeswalker Commander, 1 Signature Spell, 58 card singleton deck. Signature spell has the same commander rules except it can only be cast if your Commander is out.

So, whenever a weird basically-just-commander format comes out, they're either trying to boost the price of a card that would be sick in that format (tiny leaders), or just throwing some kind of tantrum about Commander (that one guy that got mad and started a neo-nazi discord). Which one is this?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Leperflesh posted:

Hey everyone. I'm happy to announce that thread regular Framboise has agreed to volunteer as an IK for this thread. They're in the queue to get their buttons shortly. Thank you, Framboise!

Congrats & condolences

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

A Moose posted:

So, whenever a weird basically-just-commander format comes out, they're either trying to boost the price of a card that would be sick in that format (tiny leaders), or just throwing some kind of tantrum about Commander (that one guy that got mad and started a neo-nazi discord). Which one is this?

I don't think Oathbreaker was either of those-- this isn't a "new" format fwiw.

I think it's a really fun twist on commander and the balance is totally different since most fast mana is banned and you get to have a spell on hand at all times. People were getting really creative with it too.

The deck I was running was Saheeli, Sublime Artificer/Divergent Transformations. Make servos and double-polymorph them into Niv-Mizzet, Parun and Tandem Lookout. It was a blast to play.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Seems like they could add that to Arena by adding a spell to the command zone of Brawl? Seems like it would be a degenerate and competitive format, maybe better suited to the hostile fun of Arena.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Ok, so when does oathbreaker get added to modo?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Just absolutely laughing at the phyrexians Also thing lukka and thinking he’s useless. The story stays winning as long as they just keep subjecting lukka to endless indignity.

Norn: Lukka why are we sending you out to ikoria?

Lukka: to get those big ol dang monsters yeehaw skibbydaberdoo

Norn: .... sure buddy. off you go

*lukka planeswalks away*

Atraxa: you know he's going to both fail and die right?

Norn: God i fuckin hope so, that guy just sucks right?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Does Commander rule increase the alternative costs too, or just the regular cost?

Asking for my signature 'Force of Will' spell.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Issaries posted:

Does Commander rule increase the alternative costs too, or just the regular cost?

Asking for my signature 'Force of Will' spell.

I believe so, if I recall. It's not really worth it and probably would be better in the deck than as signature spell.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
But it's mana used to cast the spell, for things like Chandra DTKs ult and Memory Deluge, right?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Did anyone see the Oathbreaker announcement coming? It's cool, but it seems super random for WotC to do. Might throw something together just to have it in my bag.

A Moose posted:

Genuine question: why post all bitchy like this without doing like literally any research into the topic?

fadam fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 16, 2023

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Having access to both a planeswalker and a guaranteed spell seems a bit busted or at least "solvable". Honestly if brawl has shown me anything a straight singleton format with no gimmicks is probably the sweet spot for allowing the widest range of potential decks.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

MasterBuilder posted:

Having access to both a planeswalker and a guaranteed spell seems a bit busted or at least "solvable". Honestly if brawl has shown me anything a straight singleton format with no gimmicks is probably the sweet spot for allowing the widest range of potential decks.

Canadian Highlander is good, yes.

Couch Life
Aug 20, 2010

TotalHell posted:

Canadian Highlander is good, yes.

And notable NOT an offical format (though it is God's Perfect Format)

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

MasterBuilder posted:

Have you played or brewed for Oathbreaker?

Honestly, I haven't even heard about it before today. It's crazy how many people are champing at the bit to talk poo poo about it. I think it seems kind of neat and makes way more sense as a secondary casual format in paper than Brawl does imo.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Khanstant posted:

Seems like they could add that to Arena by adding a spell to the command zone of Brawl? Seems like it would be a degenerate and competitive format, maybe better suited to the hostile fun of Arena.

If they're going to add multiplayer support to Arena, it makes some sense to have an official format for it that's similar to but distinct from Commander, given how much worse Commander would be with the Arena card pool and no social aspect.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

FWIW you can read their ban philosophy here:
https://oathbreakermtg.org/the-art-of-banning/

I don't agree with all of it (especially the fast mana part) but it is clear the people stewarding the list are putting thought into it.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

MasterBuilder posted:

Nearest, Parter of Veils and Timetwister :getin:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Silhouette posted:

Nearest, Parter of Veils and Timetwister :getin:

A buddy of mine is making W6 and Crop Rotation. I'm either gonna do Copy Ral + Fury Storm or a Gideon + Armageddon. I'm assuming there's also something you can do with the new Tyvar and a creature tutor or Gimpse or something.

EDIT: it's tough with the good rocks gone, but there's gotta be something you can do with a walker that makes creatures and a polymorph.

fadam fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 16, 2023

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Armagideon would be real as gently caress, basically OB willowgeddon

You mean 3 mana WAR Gideon right?

Edit: there are more than enough 2 mana rocks to get things rolling, just because crypt/vault/ring are banned it doesn't mean you can't ramp quickly.

Also, RIP and Fall of the Thran in armagideon would be just nasty

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 16, 2023

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Silhouette posted:

Armagideon would be real as gently caress, basically OB willowgeddon

You mean 3 mana WAR Gideon right?

Edit: there are more than enough 2 mana rocks to get things rolling, just because crypt/vault/ring are banned it doesn't mean you can't ramp quickly.

Also, RIP and Fall of the Thran in armagideon would be just nasty

I think any of them will work, but he's probably the best.

The rocks are nice for ramp, but the best thing you can polymorph for in regular commander is Hullbreaker Horror/Tidespout Tyrant to go off for infinite mana. Without crypt, vault and sol ring that’s not really viable I don’t think.

fadam fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 16, 2023

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

fadam posted:

Have you played or brewed for Oathbreaker?

Honestly, I haven't even heard about it before today. It's crazy how many people are champing at the bit to talk poo poo about it. I think it seems kind of neat and makes way more sense as a secondary casual format in paper than Brawl does imo.

No I haven't, it's just my gut reaction. But just thinking about how broken most companions were initially and many were still over tuned after being taxed I can't imagine oathbreaker meta not revolving around that spell. Wouldn't you want to choose the most busted spell and figure out how to cast it as many times as possible.

That's not saying it can't be fun or interesting but seems to go against the singleton premise at least to me.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

MasterBuilder posted:

No I haven't, it's just my gut reaction. But just thinking about how broken most companions were initially and many were still over tuned after being taxed I can't imagine oathbreaker meta not revolving around that spell. Wouldn't you want to choose the most busted spell and figure out how to cast it as many times as possible.

That's not saying it can't be fun or interesting but seems to go against the singleton premise at least to me.

I don’t entirely understand the objection here, the whole point of commander is your commander is a key part of your deck and frequently a win condition. Why is it a big deal if the same is true for Oathbreaker?

Regardless, I’d strongly suggest actually playing the format instead of instantly deciding it ducks.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

fadam posted:

I think any of them will work, but he's probably the best.

The rocks are nice for ramp, but the best thing you can polymorph for in regular commander is Hullbreaker Horror/Tidespout Tyrant to go off for infinite mana. Without crypt, vault and sol ring that’s not really viable I don’t think.

I mean, you could just run Saheeli, Sublime Artificer/Indomitable Creativity with Ovika as your only hit and just go off on turn 4 at the latest, running nothing but Sorcerer Class, rituals, cantrips, rocks and card draw spells as the only other spells in the 58

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Silhouette posted:

I mean, you could just run Saheeli, Sublime Artificer/Indomitable Creativity with Ovika as your only hit and just go off on turn 4 at the latest, running nothing but Sorcerer Class, rituals, cantrips, rocks and card draw spells as the only other spells in the 58

What am I missing, how does this win after Ovika comes in?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

i miss tiny leaders

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

fadam posted:

What am I missing, how does this win after Ovika comes in?

Well,

I haven't gotten that far yet, I just love Ovika and try to jam it in as many situations as possible :v:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Might be something here.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I can vouch that creature-making planeswalker+polymorph is good stuff. I'd probably change my Divergent Transformations targets to Hullbreaker Horror and something else though, yeah.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

fadam posted:

I don’t entirely understand the objection here, the whole point of commander is your commander is a key part of your deck and frequently a win condition. Why is it a big deal if the same is true for Oathbreaker?

Regardless, I’d strongly suggest actually playing the format instead of instantly deciding it ducks.

Sorry I'll try to be clearer. Having a singleton rule but then having a guaranteed commander/spell seems like a contradiction to me. Obviously that is the creators intention but it seems easily abusable to me.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

MasterBuilder posted:

Sorry I'll try to be clearer. Having a singleton rule but then having a guaranteed commander/spell seems like a contradiction to me. Obviously that is the creators intention but it seems easily abusable to me.

Fair enough. Try giving it a shot and see if you can break it.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

MasterBuilder posted:

Commander.txt.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

fadam posted:

Did anyone see the Oathbreaker announcement coming? It's cool, but it seems super random for WotC to do. Might throw something together just to have it in my bag.

Genuine question: why post all bitchy like this without doing like literally any research into the topic?

well, people make dumb new formats for dumb reasons most of the time. Also its commander, but more consistent. Its still singleton, but only 60 cards, but you get a 2 card combo that starts in your hand, with an aggressive ban list? It sounds like it was just made for 1 guy's combo deck. Just like how tiny leaders was made to pump the price of baby jace from origins. It doesn't sound like it fills a niche that commander is missing. Kinda reminds me of that 1 store that had like 50 house rules for commander. Seems kind of weird that this is apparently official? Or officially acknowledged?

I also thought putting Gladiator on arena was a little weird, but it's at least significantly different from commander.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sit on my Jace posted:

If they're going to add multiplayer support to Arena, it makes some sense to have an official format for it that's similar to but distinct from Commander, given how much worse Commander would be with the Arena card pool and no social aspect.

Yeah commander on Arena would be rear end even if they did have all the cards, which they probably never will?

I love singleton, it was my favourite deck archetype to force when I still played Hearthstone. You just get so many cool arts and cards it feels like a shame to run multiples of them, even though obviously the consistency gained is advantageous enough to overwhelm singleton decks.

I wish they actually encourage singleton as a viable deck building option in other formats by printing support for it like Reno Jackson in Hearthstone. It was essentially a creature with ETB set your starting health back to its starting total -+ only if you had no more than one copy of a card in your deck.

They had some other cards with the same conditional boons, usually something strong enough to be worth considering sacrificing multiples consistency. The way the cards worked also allowed them to be used in non-singleton decks, it only checked for duplicates in your library, so if you had milled/drawn all of your multiples and only had 1 or less of each card in your deck, you could get the singleton conditional boons from the cards.

The decks weren't usually good enough to dominate the meta, but they could hang and their inconsistency led to a lot of fun and weird games at times, but HS is obsessed with RNG wackiness, not sure their highlander-matters card designs would translate over directly.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

A Moose posted:

well, people make dumb new formats for dumb reasons most of the time. Also its commander, but more consistent. Its still singleton, but only 60 cards, but you get a 2 card combo that starts in your hand, with an aggressive ban list? It sounds like it was just made for 1 guy's combo deck. Just like how tiny leaders was made to pump the price of baby jace from origins. It doesn't sound like it fills a niche that commander is missing. Kinda reminds me of that 1 store that had like 50 house rules for commander. Seems kind of weird that this is apparently official? Or officially acknowledged?

I also thought putting Gladiator on arena was a little weird, but it's at least significantly different from commander.

Well, the good news is it doesn't really matter what it sounds like, because with like twenty seconds of searching all your questions would have been answered.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Oathbreaker never seemed that interesting to me because it truly does stray from alot of the things that make commander interesting, and the deck variety, by virtue of being a 60-card 20-life format is way down.

Watching it immediately devolve into Rampwalker+Turns spell to the point where Saheeli and Expropriate got banned was pretty much the trajectory that killed my interest.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Now, Conquest? That's some good stuff. When I hear that the first thing they did was delete the Reserve List, it immediately had my attention.

A shame WotC can never touch it because it would be a tacit admission of how toxic the RL is.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
oathbreaker probably gets a nod where a bunch of other fan formats don't b/c most of those formats are variants of existing formats with a slightly different legality list & putting a spell in the command zone to cast repeatedly at the very least adds a bunch of new, interesting things you can do in deckbuilding

Jobert
May 21, 2007
Come On!
College Slice

Toshimo posted:

Now, Conquest? That's some good stuff. When I hear that the first thing they did was delete the Reserve List, it immediately had my attention.

A shame WotC can never touch it because it would be a tacit admission of how toxic the RL is.

I am also a Conquest fan. It got me to move from a tuned commander player into playing more competitively and really enjoying the game again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
oathbreaker seems like the most nonsense combo format imaginable. its a bad format.