Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Turtle Sandbox posted:

So he's an idiot who forgot how compartmentalization works, then got butthurt he wasn't billeted to a skunk works project?

Eh, it was more of a dickwaving over "the description for the program I'm running says I have authority for this" and the contractors going "gently caress you, no"

Then either Lue raised it to Harry Reid or Reid raised it to Lue that "hey there are these black programs with absolute no federal oversight, that's illegal" and here we are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

SniperWoreConverse posted:

PBS spacetime seems to think that neither space nor time are intrinsically meaningful, could be merely interpretations of an undetermined n-dimensional reality & animal brains landed on this 3x1 system of perception as an evolutionary "eh good enough" hack job

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV9MnAZLmMQ

this was also just covered in the BBC's Universe series last week, using some of the newer theoretical work on the implications of hawking radiation for information recovery from black holes. See e.g.,

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-the-inside-of-a-black-hole-is-secretly-on-the-outside/

whether it's just 1970s wormholes v2 or another angle on the coming scientific revolution in physics or another facet of the limited hangout/disclosure is between you and j'rooti.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Inspector Hound posted:

Yikes how did Michael feel about that

Ladies and gentlemen,

It was the best conclusion he had and the closest he could come to understanding the fundamental truth of creation, which his subjects could barely touch but which was often described musically.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
https://twitter.com/WarMonitors/status/1636368539400691719

mr putin, please recover our three missing objects :pray:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

I'm so pleased I wasn't the only one who immediately thought this

Hooplah posted:

I thought this too, but it seems they're clinging very tightly to the primacy of matter and don't really consider consciousness-prime models :sad:

Pfft lame

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Matter? More like doesn't matter

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

so this isnt the mattering?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

The Saucer Hovers posted:

The real mattering was the friends we made along the way

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Ironically the cherubs are canonically one of the weird looking ones

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Thanks for the rambling :) a lot of this is beyond my understanding, but you gave me a few new terms/concepts to be aware of and look into.

I keep telling myself I'm going to sit down and do a formal study of quantum and relativistic physics but then things like virtual trains and prestige tv exist so I can barely keep up with my already existing reading list!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just a Moron posted:

Ironically the cherubs are canonically one of the weird looking ones

Victorian pedo fantasy vs tribal shaman mushroom vision

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yeah beat, they're possibly the screaming 4 faces 6 wings one or the one that's like a winged sphynx

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Jazerus posted:

my question is, what would it look like for a second axis of time to exist and would it cause weird orbs

seems like it would be a recipe for parallel worlds. anything moving sideways would probably look weird

video frames are 2d space + 1d time

normal 3d space + 1d time

3d space + 2d time

3d space + 3d time

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

E eh nm

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

munce posted:

seems like it would be a recipe for parallel worlds. anything moving sideways would probably look weird

3d space + 2d time

3d space + 3d time

This just looks like the foam of reality idea doesn't it? All of those other cubes are their own branching reality ad infinitum

Here is my dumbass take: this doesn't actually happen 'irl' because consciousness leads to a consensus reality where the vast majority of those other cubes collapse and become amalgamated into the 3d procession we think is real

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

The Saucer Hovers posted:

can humans survive the antimattering? tune in to the next episode of Eath Orb Z

munce posted:

3d space + 2d time

3d space + 3d time

i wonder, if this analogy holds up, if nearby times would be similar to ours or not. I feel like something's off here but i don't quite have it in hand. These are timelines where nothing's happening, somebody do one where there's a cube falling onto a triangle and it's perfectly balanced to randomly start deflecting some direction in space, and then we could see if multiple times makes sense

because on that second dimension of time, that seems wrong somehow, like someone's just lining up a series of completely independent timelines across space, instead of showing what two directions of time actually means

Rorobb
Aug 17, 2005

imagine 3 balls on the edge of a cliff

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
somebody show the video frame at time 0,0. Then frame at 1,0 is what we see as 1 second later.
Frame 0,0 we remember as happening just a second ago. and so on etc etc.

what is frame 1,1?

what is frame 0,1?

fuckin zyborne clock rear end poo poo
e: lol

e2: wait wouldn't this be like a fanning-out of timelines man gently caress if i know

SniperWoreConverse has issued a correction as of 19:07 on Mar 16, 2023

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

imagining multidimensional time runs into a problem before you even add a dimension in that your analogical structure for it will be multidimensional space, which you can freely move around in/observe from multiple perspectives at will. even with one dimensional time we can't really intuit what that'd "feel" like, so trying to analogize multidimensional time without the ability to move through it would probably look functionally indistinguishable from what we currently experience

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
until we obtain the uaptech needed to traverse time itself

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

time is a useful construct for pondering the limitations of our perception thats it thats all

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Space bunnies have three ears

6 dimensional time solids

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

a clue would be how experiencers of so many different unusual mind states talk about time stopping or no longer having meaning

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I can't tell if this headache is the hangover or trying to decipher the last two pages

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

yeah its the Daily Mail (:barf:) but its an interesting pushback against the 2019 droneswarm was just a droneswarm and bokeh artifacts from the guys from the UAPTF (and also costars on Skinwalker Ranch tv show? lmao)
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11840969/Ex-UFO-chiefs-claim-Pentagon-bosses-misled-Congress.html

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
it seems reasonable enough to assume you can analogize time into a film strip, one frame after another spooling out at the speed things are moving in time. But 2d time probably wouldn't be a grid of timelines all in a row, and it maybe wouldn't be an arc of timelines progressing across a 2d surface either. Because those two things are the same thing i think, just rearranged.

You can try to traverse "outside" of time by scrolling back and forth remembering it or looking at the film strip or w/e.

you'd really have to sit and figure out how the gently caress cause and effect works in 2d time. Even if you're gonna be like "alright here's a fuckin emerald tablet that is inscribed with all events in all locations of time and space," having two times is wildly different than 1. Simplify it down and you can have a film strip of 60 seconds worth of the first cartoon walking down the street or w/e, the most stunning 1900s era poo poo ever perceived, and that makes enough sense, this happened and then this happened and then this happened.

But then do this with two directions of causation, traverse that.

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

by all admissions the secrets of skinwalker ranch is a reality tv show. it has reality right there in the genre! checkmate athetits

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

time is fake, the way our brain uses our senses constitutes a masterful and complicated lie, aliens are real, j'rooti is a friend of the thread, and bean-in chili is good actually

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

munce posted:

3d space + 3d time

Ooo nice, saw this one on salvia once

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Riot Bimbo posted:

time is fake, the way our brain uses our senses constitutes a masterful and complicated lie, aliens are real, j'rooti is a friend of the thread, and bean-in chili is good actually

J'rooti's a stuck up cow who won't return my calls, otherwise all correct

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Anti-time, a relatively new concept in temporal mechanics

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Slavvy posted:

This just looks like the foam of reality idea doesn't it? All of those other cubes are their own branching reality ad infinitum

Here is my dumbass take: this doesn't actually happen 'irl' because consciousness leads to a consensus reality where the vast majority of those other cubes collapse and become amalgamated into the 3d procession we think is real

or the fate of the 6d cubes along any of its time axes could be predetermined and we can simply choose what time axis we go down... drat..
really makes you think. but what if time is an orb

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Delta-Wye posted:

https://twitter.com/WarMonitors/status/1636368539400691719

mr putin, please recover our three missing objects :pray:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH6XpoaDOUI

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
let's name the time streams. i'm thinking we have normal time, wacky time, and dinner time :xd:

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
never cross the streams

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Psycho Society posted:

let's name the time streams. i'm thinking we have normal time, wacky time, and dinner time :xd:

lol epic

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
If there was more than one dimension of time and an object was moving quickly would it dilate all axes simultaneously

Would it appear as sky trash

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Slavvy posted:

J'rooti's a stuck up cow who won't return my calls, otherwise all correct

J'rooti isn't returning your call because he is stuck up a cow

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

you vs the guy jrooti tells you not to worry about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

swiggity swooty im comin for that jrooti