Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

I'd challenge anyone who thinks AOS is a better setting to sit some idiot off the street down and try to explain the setting in 2 minutes

Edit: bonus points if you do it using all the IP terms GW insists on using

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Frankly, I'm not sure if being a generic fantasy setting in a fantastic version of our own world makes it better than something lifted from Norse/Greek mythology in outlandish worlds literally made of magic...

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
My favorite part of the Sigmar setting at the moment is the eightpoints region, where you've got eight wedge shaped chaos planes with different corrupted cultures and a big rear end evil city at the center. That bit has a planescape feel to it I like. There are some other cool and kinda gonzo ideas like the continents of Ghur eating each other. Or the giant molten waterfall of steel kept from solidifying by a world sized dragon.

I like that they have pushed away from a lot of fantasy tropes and are trying out a bunch of new ideas.

What I don't like is the GPT level fantasy story spew that fills most of the battletomes. Some care could go into building up and fleshing things out in a way that gave it weight, but right now everything has a kind of uniform unimportance. This city dies there are infinitely more... That culture falls there are infinitely more... What is important? 40k does a lot of the same stuff, though.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Can we not have the The Setting I Like Is Better fight again and just let them both be things

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I don't think anybody has said either one is better.

I am very proud of everybody for that.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

Can we not have the The Setting I Like Is Better fight again and just let them both be things

It's like I'm reading the FATAL thread. :v:

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

My favorite "thing" is better than your favorite "thing"!

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Talas posted:

My favorite "thing" is better than your favorite "thing"!
Whiskers on kittens are way better then brown paper packages tied up with string and you are an idiot if you think otherwise.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the old world has the benefit of a few decades of lore while AoS is pretty new, but yeah right now AoS is kind of all over the place.

It helps that the old fantasy army books would have a couple of dozen pages detailing the history of all the high elf phoenix kings, dwarven kings that gave you a lot history to work with

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Mors Rattus posted:

Seems more like a polite discussion about things people like than a fight. I like both settings, but I've grown more and more partial to aos as time wears on. I'm a huge fan of places like Hammerhal being in two realms at once and all that.

I'm glad we've got total war warhams for the old world fix. Never enjoyed the whfb game but I love the setting and it's basically perfect in TW form.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Do lots of people want to collect a second gw fantasy game? Or wanting to drop aos for this?

I love Bretonnians so much that I hunt down models to find a way to run them in Age of Sigmar so yes... Yes I do.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Oh I'm very bad at personal finances and decision making but there's no way I'll be buying old world minis beyond maybe a sweet character or two. In the same way I sometimes pick up random faction or other system minis just to paint a cool guy.

Also very confident I'll be able to grab something fun for cheap when all the box set splits and "regretful" sales happen.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I would love Brets if for no other reason than to make some FEC conversions out of them that finally do the faction concept justice.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Both settings have/had their issues, those issues are just very different from one another. Both settings are good on their own merits, though. And I really wanna try out the AoS RPG, it looks great.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

S.J. posted:

Both settings have/had their issues, those issues are just very different from one another. Both settings are good on their own merits, though. And I really wanna try out the AoS RPG, it looks great.

You missed out as recently there was a sale on drivetrurpg and most of the books were cheaper.

But Yeah it is cool and good - I've recently started my third campaign in it with people who are completely new to the game and so far its going well.

As far as setting discussion goes I tend to explain to people that if wfrp is bloodborne aos is Elden Ring. For the most part I do think aos does heroic fantasy way better than most of the d&d settings and it is more relatable than things like exalted and if you are in a market for that you should give it a shot.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

moths posted:

I think part of WHFB's appeal was that it's relatable and somewhat grounded. Like, I get how tough a Kislev dude riding a polar bear is because polar bears exist IRL. Empire soldiers are regular humans with fancy hats. It's a real feeling place, where all these creatures live and have jobs and try to kill each other.

AoS's pan-dimensional sphere of battle universes feels to me like trying to relate to a pinball machine.
I felt like this untill I read up on some Planescape lore and I started to see what they were going for.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Yeah, the big flaw with AoS lore is the first edition garbage it's saddled with, like Sigmarite Sigmarabulum Sigmarons and the rest of the noun verbers, and not focusing on the whacky poo poo like of a group of living continents trying to eat each other like the ravenous beasts they are.

gently caress Tom Kirby, is I guess what I'm getting at.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
I would equally challenge somebody to explain WHF to a stranger in two minutes without it sounding boring, or them going "Oh! Warcraft!"

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

All you gotta do is show them tomb kings and no one will think its boring baybeee

Plus you can just say Warcraft stole it from WHF

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

sasha_d3ath posted:

I would equally challenge somebody to explain WHF to a stranger in two minutes without it sounding boring, or them going "Oh! Warcraft!"

"no you don't get it our subhuman savages are cockney"

War and Pieces fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 18, 2023

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

sasha_d3ath posted:

"It's like Warcraft except it only ruined me financially"

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

sasha_d3ath posted:

It's a world history class where every culture is different monsters.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

sasha_d3ath posted:

You could probably slam dunk it by telling them Vermintide/Total Warhammer are actually based on a board game.

On a related note, it's entertaining to me that those two games coming out when they did created a generation of grognards mad at GW for the end times despite never coming a thousand miles within actually playing WHFB. If you think people here can be brusque about AoS, go ask what people think about it in the TW:W thread.

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Mar 19, 2023

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

With is kinda amazing since neither of those games plays anything like wfb or wfrp. Imho none of the warhammer computer games represent the real product as far as gameplay experience goes (well maybe Mordheim because its janky unbalanced mess)

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Covermeinsunshine posted:

With is kinda amazing since neither of those games plays anything like wfb or wfrp. Imho none of the warhammer computer games represent the real product as far as gameplay experience goes (well maybe Mordheim because its janky unbalanced mess)

That's incorrect.

You can send a dark elf on a pegasus zooming across the TW:W battlefield and nuke half the army with an overcasted Purple Sun just fine

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I found it funny that Games killed whf right when the first Total War was coming out and then they'll bring it back when the 3rd game is three years old.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Well, if I recall correctly, those games were announced back in 2012 (or at least the partnership with SEGA), when Fantasy was doing kind of fine. So, the development of AoS actually took less time than the development of the videogames... and well, it shows in 1st edition but got better.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just think its funny the game brought new interest from new potential customers (marks?) and they got to find out the tabletop game was moving on.

Its also funny that it would come back when its likely the game series will be sunsetting.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Killing WFB at almost exactly the same time as TW:WH came out and revitalized interest in the setting was peak Kirby era GW bumbling. The launcher for TW:WH at launch even had a banner that said something along the lines of "you've played the video game, now check out the models!" with a picture of Karl Franz's miniature, and when you clicked it it opened a browser and gave you a 404 not found page at GW's site.

I like AOS now, but in an alternative universe a competent mid-2010s GW would have coincided the launch of TW:WH with a reworked WFB 9th edition that would have fixed the many problems with the game and capitalized on the interest TW:WH generated and WFB would be doing just fine now.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I love TW:WH and I'm already a GW customer, but I've got no interest in playing WFB ever.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The Song of Ice and Fire minis game is basically the closest to a version of that kind of game I'd wanna play. Kings of War is still a little too "buckets of dice"-y for me and nothing else has piqued my interest in terms of aesthetic or game mechanics.

There was that ill-fated attempt from FFG that had the unit trays move on movement templates. Pour one out.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Conquest: last argument of kings is way better than the name would lead you to believe.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Conquest: last argument of kings is way better than the name would lead you to believe.

2 good things I can say about conquest is that city states are cool and the way actiations work is something aos could use.

On a relevant news goonhammer put up https://www.goonhammer.com/battletome-blades-of-khorne-3-0-the-goonhammer-review/ and https://www.goonhammer.com/battletome-hedonites-of-slaanesh-3-0-the-goonhammer-review/ and HoS are chefs kiss

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Started my first AOS games in a couple years in a narrative. My KO are toddlers in power suits.

Will "Little" Dinky Daffison and the HMS Silly Stinky fulfill their aethermilk quotas? Find out next time

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Pancaked By Drunk Corpse Cart Driver

Posigniat
May 31, 2011

My wife is putting together Kruleboyz and she is in love with the aesthetic but the sheer number of gribbly bits on even the basic units is making her regret her choice of army.

Super good deal on the Dominion box for around a hundred bucks BTW, makes 40k prices seem even more absurd and my local gaming store had two of the things just sitting around.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Dominion got super overprinted so it’s really easy to get ahold of, yeah.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Posigniat posted:

My wife is putting together Kruleboyz and she is in love with the aesthetic but the sheer number of gribbly bits on even the basic units is making her regret her choice of army.

Super good deal on the Dominion box for around a hundred bucks BTW, makes 40k prices seem even more absurd and my local gaming store had two of the things just sitting around.

I am a bit confused....is that...paint directly on the sponge?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

That’s a wet pallette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mors Rattus posted:

Dominion got super overprinted so it’s really easy to get ahold of, yeah.

You get a stamp for each purchase over $20 at my FLGS and if you have a modest number of them you can get one of the unsold Dominion boxes. AoS is starting to come back a little around here so they're starting to move.