Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ass-penny

I'm going to finish Confederacy of Dunces tonight. been distracted reading my Spire sourcebook, Strata.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass-penny

also finally read a few new pages in Termination Shock since probably August and wow taking long breaks from reading mid way through a book is a questionable decision

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

baka of lathspell

so I was reading sound & the fury again,, which makes me waterworks essentially every fifth page in some sections, & in this scene where Jason gets his belt out to whip someone with it I always imagined that to do that he was risking his pants falling down. I now realize that his pants probably fit perfectly and he wears a belt expressly for the purpose of whipping people with it

what a book… it’s true you pick something new up with every read

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

free hubcaps

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm reading a book that is full of spiders.

A deepness in the sky?? That one has jalopy driving spiders

ty Saoshyant!

3D Megadoodoo

free hubcaps posted:

A deepness in the sky?? That one has jalopy driving spiders

but what?

beer pal

im re reading moby dick

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

3D Megadoodoo

I'm old so I don't have time to re-read anything.

beer pal

i dont re read stuff much but its nice. especially a book like this. I remember the first time i read it getting all impatient with it like whens the ahab vs moby dick stuff gonna get started. now that i know what the pacing is like and the general plot outline i can just enjoy the story & the prose as it comes

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

finished The Heirarchies by Ros Anderson, good cyberpunk-ish novel about a sex robot who learns to be a person. started Attack Surface by Cory Doctrow. It's not as good, let's just say that

barclayed

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"
lame but after watching the LOTR trilogy with my friends i’m finally getting around to reading the books. they’re quite good and they add a lot to the story that i didn’t pick up from the movies, especially with the timeline. Gandalf was gone for like 17 years!

"What I wouldn't give to return to those halcyon days."

Ass-penny

it's never too late to read the book, friend!

I'm still picking away at Termination Shock, probably reading more regularly at the new gig that the old one.

Charles Bukowski

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

I stopped wanting to learn so I've been listening to Warhammer 40k books and enjoying the good stuff. Also I like the ones where they get into the space naval combat stuff and it turns into Master and Commander.

Thank you Saoshyant for the lovely signature.

3D Megadoodoo

rear end-penny posted:

it's never too late to read the book, friend!

it is for me, it's been spoiled!

baka of lathspell

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

finished The Heirarchies by Ros Anderson, good cyberpunk-ish novel about a sex robot who learns to be a person. started Attack Surface by Cory Doctrow. It's not as good, let's just say that

lol i had a chance to hear doctorow speak but i missed it. does he suck? never read his books

since i posted i finished a reread of the gun by fuminori nakamura after finding a copy somewhere. its a powerful statement for a debut and very 'the stranger'-esque

ive started:

'searching for an elegy' - poems by ursula k leguin
reread of the unconsoled by ishiguro
reread of unfinished tales by tolkien

if i have bukowski on the line lmk what your favourite stuff you find is, esp if it concerns the eldar lol

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

Doctorow as an activist is great. As a writer, I tried some of his novels more than a decade ago and wasn't impressed. He may have improved since, though?

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

Saoshyant posted:

Doctorow as an activist is great. As a writer, I tried some of his novels more than a decade ago and wasn't impressed. He may have improved since, though?

Not really. He lectures on security best practices for pages at a time. Not great

caspergers
wait are we talking corey doctorow or e.l.? i have this book billy bathgate and whether i read it depends on the answer

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

caspergers

rear end-penny posted:

I'm going to finish Confederacy of Dunces tonight. been distracted reading my Spire sourcebook, Strata.

I listened to the audiobook and recommend. The idiolect the narrator gives to Ignatius is so funny and perfect. Got any recs that are more like this book, in terms of humor?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Saoshyant

caspergers posted:

wait are we talking corey doctorow or e.l.? i have this book billy bathgate and whether i read it depends on the answer

I believe we were talking about Cory. I haven't read Billy Bathgate but, looking it up, it won a bunch of awards so it's probably a good read.

Finger Prince

The only Cory Doctorow book I've read was Walkaway. The premise seemed a proposterous dream of a tech bro who's never considered that maybe it would take more than a 3d printer and some solar panels to build utopian society free from the yoke of The Man What's Keeping Us Down.

Ass-penny

caspergers posted:

I listened to the audiobook and recommend. The idiolect the narrator gives to Ignatius is so funny and perfect. Got any recs that are more like this book, in terms of humor?

I don't think the author wrote anything else that has been published, if'n I remember the forward correctly. I think Neal Stephenson is funny sometimes but ymmv. read a book by a stand up comedian? I remember liking all three of Carlin's books.

Saoshyant

caspergers posted:

I listened to the audiobook and recommend. The idiolect the narrator gives to Ignatius is so funny and perfect.

I just looked this up and there's more than one version. One narrated by Barrett Whitener in 2006 and a more recent one by Reginald D. Hunter. Which one did you get?

nut

rear end-penny posted:

I don't think the author wrote anything else that has been published,

its sadder than that

Ass-penny

nut posted:

its sadder than that

I do definitely remember TCOD was published post-humorously. I just wasn't sure if the mom had more of their writing around.

Ass-penny

good to see you posting, nut.

Finger Prince

Saoshyant posted:

I just looked this up and there's more than one version. One narrated by Barrett Whitener in 2006 and a more recent one by Reginald D. Hunter. Which one did you get?

I've never listened to audio books, but I think Reginald D Hunter would be a pro tier narrator.

baka of lathspell

today i finished the 2nd of two ursula k leguin books of poetry i borrowed, 'finding my elegy' and 'so far, so good.' been sort of obsessed with the future of my life and how ill feel in a bunch of years. so this was like a transmission from a 90 year old which i sort of read with diff eyes then i might have even a year ago.

overall a solid set of poems tho some were just meandering observations. in some places her language really flourished. i liked it more than ive liked any of her prose just because her philosophy really came thru in verse & i've also been obsessing over not obsessing. she was big on not obsessing over things

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Quadramind

I want to know it. Can you share your favourite?

baka of lathspell

ill transcribe one i liked, 'for heggaia' it's called, from her final poems in the 'meditations' section

quote:

When you lived in the Valley of the Na
and were a goldsmith
you made a little disc of gold, the sun
on one side, the double spiral
on the other, for Intrumo of Sinshan.
After you left, she wore it
on a golden chain, the rayed sun shining outward
the hinge of the spiral hidden against her throat.
Pretty soon she'll follow you
through that open doorway,
and coming by your workshop
near the bank of the River Na
smile to see you working.
"So you are here," you'll say,
and she, "Go along easily,
Heggaia of my heart!
I left your sun there in the other Valley
for us to find some day."

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Ass-penny

le Guin was a goddamn national treasure. I'm sorry I never read anything of hers before she died. there was a quote from the Left Hand of Darkness that will always stick with me

“How does one hate a country, or love one? Tibe talks about it; I lack the trick of it. I know people, I know towns, farms, hills and rivers and rocks, I know how the sun at sunset in autumn falls on the side of a certain plowland in the hills; but what is the sense of giving a boundary to all that, of giving it a name and ceasing to love where the name ceases to apply? What is love of one’s country; is it hate of one’s uncountry? Then it’s not a good thing.”

3D Megadoodoo

I started reading the latest David Wong from last year, and I just sighed out loud (as loud as a sigh can get) and thought: "eggs again? uggh sure..."

3D Megadoodoo

rear end-penny posted:

le Guin was a goddamn national treasure. I'm sorry I never read anything of hers before she died. there was a quote from the Left Hand of Darkness that will always stick with me

“How does one hate a country, or love one? Tibe talks about it; I lack the trick of it. I know people, I know towns, farms, hills and rivers and rocks, I know how the sun at sunset in autumn falls on the side of a certain plowland in the hills; but what is the sense of giving a boundary to all that, of giving it a name and ceasing to love where the name ceases to apply? What is love of one’s country; is it hate of one’s uncountry? Then it’s not a good thing.”

I'm just glad I was an Earthsea kid and not a dang Harry Potter kid. Only read LHoD for University - probably would've liked it as a kid too but for reasons I never got around to much sciffy.

Rags to Liches

future skeleton soldier

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm just glad I was an Earthsea kid and not a dang Harry Potter kid. Only read LHoD for University - probably would've liked it as a kid too but for reasons I never got around to much sciffy.

I was a Wheel of Time kid, most of my sci-fi was stuff I could swipe from my school library like Dune or Asimov, stuff they’d let me keep since no one else would ever read it.

3D Megadoodoo

Rags to Liches posted:

I was a Wheel of Time kid, most of my sci-fi was stuff I could swipe from my school library like Dune or Asimov, stuff they’d let me keep since no one else would ever read it.

Why didn't you just borrow them?

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 16, 2023

Quadramind

In my primary school we weren't allowed to take books home because we couldn't be trusted. Children are devious.

baka of lathspell

Quadramind posted:

In my primary school we weren't allowed to take books home because we couldn't be trusted. Children are devious.

thats wack.

Rags to Liches posted:

is there actually a Wheel of Time, or is it a metaphorical title, like once more the wheel of time turns dragging us endlessly into the future or something

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

3D Megadoodoo

Quadramind posted:

it true tho

3D Megadoodoo

on lower grade we didn't have a school library but the library was in the same building as the school, and once a week we'd go there through a sliding wall (i think the door was in our music class? it was 30 years ago IDK) and could borrow I think two or three books with the "class card". which was kinda meh since you could borrow as much as you wanted with just your own card whenever you wanted because it was the public library.

i guess some pupils just hadn't gotten their own card and it was to ensure they got to use the library, too. anyway it must have been weird for the other borrowers - just a bunch of kids emerging from the wall and descending on the library.

Dumb Sex-Parrot

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
oh man I loved my school's library I borrowed so many books. There was this series with 3 kids solving detective myteries, and somehow Alfred Hitchcock was involved. I read them all back to back, several times.
I also borrowed a lot of sci-fi short stories, but it was the kind of bleak sci-fi; like there was this story about two brothers on an ice planet going out to catch a summer, which meant they had calculated where the sun would thaw a small piece of the planet's surface. well the nerdy kid got it wrong and ran away and they never found his body on the desolate ice planet.

also there was a story about a guy being marooned in his space ship, but one day a spaceship from way back when mysteriously shows up to guide him back to safe harbour and he passes out and hallucinates. the ghost spaceship disappears but when he gets back home they measure increased levels of radiation as if some old clunker of a spaceship had been near.

i wish I knew what those books were called so I could read them again.

oh yeah I also once borrowed a book with "real" pictures of ghosts and it scared me shitless to the point were i had to sleep in my parents' bed.

also

baka fwocka fwame posted:

ill transcribe one i liked, 'for heggaia' it's called, from her final poems in the 'meditations' section

quote:

When you lived in the Valley of the Na
and were a goldsmith
you made a little disc of gold, the sun
on one side, the double spiral
on the other, for Intrumo of Sinshan.
After you left, she wore it
on a golden chain, the rayed sun shining outward
the hinge of the spiral hidden against her throat.
Pretty soon she'll follow you
through that open doorway,
and coming by your workshop
near the bank of the River Na
smile to see you working.
"So you are here," you'll say,
and she, "Go along easily,
Heggaia of my heart!
I left your sun there in the other Valley
for us to find some day."

this touches me in a way I find difficult to articulate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

oh man I loved my school's library I borrowed so many books. There was this series with 3 kids solving detective myteries, and somehow Alfred Hitchcock was involved.

Alfred Hitchcock was involved in that they put his name on the covers.

Was that the series that had "red herrings" in the text? Like actually mentioned as such.

I was more a DetektivtvillingarnaTvillingdetektiverna kid, but I read a few of the three detectives ones. Jack McGurk, Agaton Sax, and Ture Sventon were OK, too. And Astrid Lindgren wrote (at least) three kid detective novels which I read like AT LEAST TWICE each.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Mar 17, 2023