Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What's a good co-op game? We've already been through It Takes Two, Valheim and TMNT. Tried Sons of the Forest but it seems way too unfinished.

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Streets of Rage 4

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Streets of Rage 4

This game slaps and also just got a huge update a few days ago.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship edition.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

PirateBob posted:

What's a good co-op game? We've already been through It Takes Two, Valheim and TMNT. Tried Sons of the Forest but it seems way too unfinished.

Thanks

Stardew Valley is great for this.

Others I’ve enjoyed:
Astroneer
Nobody Saves the World
Slime Rancher (need to be on PC, but the coop mod is easy to use)
Spelunky 2
Gunfire Reborn
Mindustry
Wasteland 3
Creeperworld 4
Core Keeper (like Terraria top down)
Rain World (maybe wait until it has fully asynchronous coop, like not on the same screen always)

snowshovelboy
Apr 13, 2006

PirateBob posted:

Thanks

I really liked:

Mechwarrior5 Mercenaries
Outward.
A Way Out (same developer as It Takes Two)
Man of Medan
We Were Here
Unravel 1 and 2

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Shovel Knight's "Shovel of Hope" campaign has full co-op support, and comes with the usual antics you'd expect in a classic co-op platformer where players can physically impede and bounce off each other.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

snowshovelboy posted:

I really liked:

Mechwarrior5 Mercenaries
Outward.
A Way Out (same developer as It Takes Two)
Man of Medan
We Were Here
Unravel 1 and 2

If you do MW5 mercenaries check for mods which let the coop player do a bit more between battles! There are a bunch of solid ones.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PirateBob posted:

Thanks

Moving Out is good physics-based nonsense with up to four people working at crossed purposes to try to get the truck loaded.

Ditto for Human Fall Flat and trying to solve puzzles together.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm looking for a fairly simple gaming experience, where I can creep around an unpredictable or procgen indoor area, do things, and escape.
  • must load very quickly, and run well on a 10 year old PC
  • must save and close very quickly and from anywhere in the game
  • high stakes or story not required
  • progression not required, IDGAF about getting buffs and poo poo
  • must be fun
  • FPS, none of this 3rd person bs
Examples I've played that mostly fit: Heavy Bullets, Superhot (could be so much more, couldn't it? Tell me why this hasn't had a random billionaire mansion assassination mode attached to it), Receiver (concept is good, but mostly an unpleasant tech demo), Delver, Eldritch.

Don't want bullet/enemy hell arena shooters that play like Serious Sam or Immortal Redneck. Don't like scary or nerve-wracking stuff like Space Beast Terror Fright. No MMOs or online gaming experiences.

Just want some quick creeping and exploring and striking out from the shadows, then ALT-F4 when I gotta get back to work.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

I'm looking for a fairly simple gaming experience, where I can creep around an unpredictable or procgen indoor area, do things, and escape.
  • must load very quickly, and run well on a 10 year old PC
  • must save and close very quickly and from anywhere in the game
  • high stakes or story not required
  • progression not required, IDGAF about getting buffs and poo poo
  • must be fun
  • FPS, none of this 3rd person bs
Examples I've played that mostly fit: Heavy Bullets, Superhot (could be so much more, couldn't it? Tell me why this hasn't had a random billionaire mansion assassination mode attached to it), Receiver (concept is good, but mostly an unpleasant tech demo), Delver, Eldritch.

Don't want bullet/enemy hell arena shooters that play like Serious Sam or Immortal Redneck. Don't like scary or nerve-wracking stuff like Space Beast Terror Fright. No MMOs or online gaming experiences.

Just want some quick creeping and exploring and striking out from the shadows, then ALT-F4 when I gotta get back to work.
Heat Signature might fit the bill and is an excellent game generally

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Void Bastards might scratch that itch

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Void Bastards is an FPS where you raid random abandoned spaceships for resources and stuff to unlock more weapons and upgrades. There are straight up stat upgrades, but they aren't super pivotal. More important is to think on your feet, and use your weapons, tools and environment effectively. And knowing when to just get the hell out.

A typical mission takes around five minutes, so just quitting in the middle of one is fine. There's your basic roguelite story line, where you hunt for specific items until you have what you need to win the run.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Heat Signature might fit the bill and is an excellent game generally

this is a great game, but I'm looking for an FPS at the moment.

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Void Bastards might scratch that itch

Forgot about that one. Added to my wishlist.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

Forgot about that one. Added to my wishlist.

If you kept up with Epic giving out free games you might have it in your library; it was free at some point

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

PirateBob posted:

Thanks

We had a lot of fun with Overcooked. I will second the Stardew Valley recommendation if you want more farming.

You'd probably like Grounded.

If you made it all the way through Valheim, you've probably got enough grind tolerance built up to enjoy Dysmantle.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

There’s a mod that adds that to Asetto Corsa, I think it’s called Evoluzione?

Thank you a million times for this!

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

It seems like games with co-op of the quality and production values of It Takes Two are few and far between. Nevertheless, will try some of these games!

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

PirateBob posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

It seems like games with co-op of the quality and production values of It Takes Two are few and far between. Nevertheless, will try some of these games!

The borderlands games are stupid but fun, and you could also try some ARPGs like Torchlight 1&2 (heard bad things about 3), Diablo, or Grim Dawn. Also Elden Ring can apparently be played co-op?

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
Whats a game I can play while I wait for Resident Evil 4 Remake? Since its supposed to be very faithful, it seems like playing the OG right before the remake would just make it more boring, and I replayed it only 2 years ago anyway.

Horror is 100% unimportant to me. I just want punchy, satisfying action that involves a bit of planning/strategy sometimes. I've played everything in the RE series, so no need to recommend one of those.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Fighting Elegy posted:

Whats a game I can play while I wait for Resident Evil 4 Remake? Since its supposed to be very faithful, it seems like playing the OG right before the remake would just make it more boring, and I replayed it only 2 years ago anyway.

Horror is 100% unimportant to me. I just want punchy, satisfying action that involves a bit of planning/strategy sometimes. I've played everything in the RE series, so no need to recommend one of those.
If you don't mind jank, Binary Domain goes for a very similar B-movie feel.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Fighting Elegy posted:

It may not be what you're thinking, but Heat Signature.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
'Ello Thread, I come to you as one often does with a request for my significant other. She enjoys playing games and is always on the lookout for a new game, but she's not very "gaming literate", if you know what I mean. She didn't grow up playing games and a lot of the things we take for granted are hard for her to figure out. She's the kind of person to look down at the controller to see where which button is, even an hour into a game. I often had to get her through the harder parts of Little Nightmares. We both loved It Takes Two, even if some of the jumps took a bit of patience, and we both wished there were more games like that. A Way Out didn't have the same impact. She really got into Animal Crossing during the pandemic and is a life-long The Sims fan and recently really loved Strange Horticulture, Gorogoa and Oxenfree. She also tried out a few puzzle platformers after enjoying Gris but found that she lacked the patience for some of them, especially when the puzzles got too hard or thinky. She also dislikes pixel art (so no Stardew Valley) and gets motion sickness from first person games. She got really into watching Youtubers play Cities: Skylines and Manor Lords, which she is looking forward to maybe trying out herself once the latter comes out, but wouldn't mind just watching other people play more of that once it releases.

So, casual games or simulators with light puzzle or better yet deduction elements or a good story; with low stakes, stress and frustration, ideally conflict free and moody/pretty graphics. I think there are too few of them, but maybe they're not all on my radar. Being playable on Switch would be the cherry on top, but PC works too, I take what I can get at this point.

Secondly, as she also likes watching gaming content on Youtube (a great sleep aid), I was wondering whether there is a content creator with a focus on these games, and I'm only familiar with Dexbonus, who I think has pretty good taste in casual games that my partner would enjoy. However, she just uploads her unedited 5 hour streams to Youtube so the discoverability for new (or even old) games to play is pretty absymal. Do you know any content creators for these games, that condense the experience down to more short-form digestible pieces? Long-form content is great but she'd first have to know if it's something she even wants to get into before launching herself into a 5 hour stream. I'm thinking like something like Splattercat but for pretty and lighthearted or cute gaming experiences buuut maybe still without being overly girly. Idk. Is there anything like that out there? Thank you so much in advance, I just want to help her find more cute games to enjoy.

TL;DR: looking for cute games or good youtubers who play cute games

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Unrailed would be my top recommendation. Also Overcooked, and Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Oenis posted:

'Ello Thread, I come to you as one often does with a request for my significant other.

First thought, especially if you're looking for something you can coop together, is Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, which is also 80% off on Steam right now. It's simple twin-,stick shooting but a lot of fun, very forgiving, and has some fairly straightforward puzzle elements as well, and optional challenges if you fancy them.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Chamale posted:

Unrailed would be my top recommendation. Also Overcooked, and Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime.

We actually tried all these and they were too stressful, especially since she didn't feel like she could pull her own weight because she got frustrated or confused with the controls. I tried, but there's nothing I could say or do to alleviate these feelings.

Edit: To be clear, coop would be great but I think I already have suggested or tried most of them that fit the bill with her, but it's not what I'm looking for here. I'm just looking for cute games for her to enjoy on her own. She even played and liked Disco Elysium enough to finish it, the slice of games she enjoys is just incredibly narrow because of her various, "limitations" for lack of better term. She's not familiar enough with input devices to react quickly and has a low tolerance for frustration. She's incredibly smart but gets easily stumped by "video game logic" and doesn't like feeling incapable. She's does not enjoy losing or repeatedly trying and failing a challenge and made to be felt inadequate. I want to reiterate that she really loved Strange Horticulture, because the deductions felt very natural to her and there weren't really any failstates. Also applies to the other games that I mentioned.

^ Lara Croft is a decent suggestion, I think I even have that in my library and I don't think I ever played it coop. Might try that, thanks. I don't remember how stressful or hard that was though, might be too tough for her.

Oenis fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 16, 2023

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Perhaps Dorfromantik?

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
She enjoyed Dorfromantik for a bit, and also another game where you had to place buildings on an island and you get points for proximity to other buildings, the name escapes me, she liked that one even better. But since these are basically score attack games after a while they just ran their course. But yeah those fit the bill.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Blanc is a monchrome artistic co-op game about a wolf cub and a fawn that are accidentally left behind during a blizzard and have to work together to find their families. It's very low pressure but has a drive to it, it's all solving environmental puzzles using your unique capabilities. Very cute and fun.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Looking for games with physics-based melee combat, preferably single player.
I've played Exanima, Die by the Sword, M&B (I guess you hit harder if you're moving faster?), Hellish Quart.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Oenis posted:

Later Alligator
Frog Detective

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

Looking for games with physics-based melee combat, preferably single player.
I've played Exanima, Die by the Sword, M&B (I guess you hit harder if you're moving faster?), Hellish Quart.

Not sure if it quite qualifies but a big part of the combat in Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is abusing the physics engine to knock enemies into spikes, kick them off ledges, etc.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Oenis posted:

Can't help on the Youtuber front, but your mention of deductive puzzles made me think of Ace Attorney. Has your SO tried those? As a fellow liker of cute games, I love Ace Attorney, and the original trilogy and the Great Ace Attorney duology are both on Switch!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Genpei Turtle posted:

Not sure if it quite qualifies but a big part of the combat in Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is abusing the physics engine to knock enemies into spikes, kick them off ledges, etc.

The most powerful weapon is a wicker basket that you set on fire and carry around. You won't take damage and the basket won't burn up, but any enemy you bump into will be set on fire.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Shine posted:

The most powerful weapon is a wicker basket that you set on fire and carry around. You won't take damage and the basket won't burn up, but any enemy you bump into will be set on fire.
The most powerful weapon in Dark Messiah is your foot.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Oenis posted:

Spiritfarer
Octodad
Ibb and Obb
The Lego games
Portal 2
Untitled Goose Game
Astroneer

Those are the ones that can be co-op. For cute games that somebody who isn't otherwise into games:

A Short Hike
Journey
Donut County
Grow Home
Subnautica (doesn't actually need like "gaming skill" but it can be scary or stressful)
World of Goo
Stray
I guess over towards the "when she's more confident playing games" end of things, there's A Hat in Time and Beyond Good and Evil.

I guess the only Youtuber I follow who covers a lot of the cuter games is https://www.youtube.com/@RTGame, but he doesn't necessarily focus on the cute parts.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Oenis posted:

'Ello Thread, I come to you as one often does with a request for my significant other.

If Animal Crossing hit, I think Dinkum might too. For casual simulator maybe Stardew Valley qualifies?

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Yeah was gonna say Stardew Valley. Everyone should play it imo.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

tildes posted:

If Animal Crossing hit, I think Dinkum might too. For casual simulator maybe Stardew Valley qualifies?

I like Dinkum! It's Stardew homesteading+ Animal Crossing town-building with Australian weirdness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Saul Kain posted:

Yeah was gonna say Stardew Valley. Everyone should play it imo.

Stardew Valley was my immediate first recommendation. But I guess my OP was too long, I already mentioned she doesn't like pixel art (or anime for that matter. She's a tough customer). But I've got the Stardew Valley-likes such as Dinkum and Coral Island on my radar, although they're still in early access and I think they'll be bigger hits once they get to 1.0 and subsequently get their Switch release.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Spiritfarer
Octodad
Ibb and Obb
The Lego games
Portal 2
Untitled Goose Game
Astroneer

Those are the ones that can be co-op. For cute games that somebody who isn't otherwise into games:

A Short Hike
Journey
Donut County
Grow Home
Subnautica (doesn't actually need like "gaming skill" but it can be scary or stressful)
World of Goo
Stray
I guess over towards the "when she's more confident playing games" end of things, there's A Hat in Time and Beyond Good and Evil.

I guess the only Youtuber I follow who covers a lot of the cuter games is https://www.youtube.com/@RTGame, but he doesn't necessarily focus on the cute parts.

These are all splendid recommendations, thanks!