Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Xlorp posted:

Is this a Golden Christ Child reference, or a slur about Romani?

i assume that by "sold her out to the romans", he means like judas did to christ

if it was a slur about romani it would have started with a g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Xlorp posted:

I'm assuming it's a Christian martyrdom reference.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It's just a little hard to hear and turns purple sometimes, it's still good!

We've asked you repeatedly to stop talking about your penis.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Xlorp posted:

The former

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Xlorp posted:

In this instance, "the Romans" refers to the Romans.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

SyNack Sassimov posted:

We've asked you repeatedly to stop talking about your penis.

I hope you didn’t hurt yourself.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hughlander posted:

Things he owns get replaced with top of the line gaming laptops. It's only what his wife cares about that gets left until it melts.

No, he says his laptop was in worse shape when he had it replaced. Even if we take him at his word for that, he's saying that he's cheap as hell because he uses things until they fall apart even if he can afford a new one.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
AITA For getting up and lining up to exit the airplane before the people in front of me got up?

quote:

I just got off a southwest flight (no seat assignments), and I was sat towards the very back of the plane when we landed. People at the front got up to get ready but no one in the middle section got up I was in the aisle seat and I only had a backpack, so I took the opportunity and walked to the front of the plane to lineup behind the people in the very front.

While I was waiting to exit the airplane, the person sitting in the seat next to where I was standing asked me “have the rules changed “and I pretended not to hear him because I had headphones on and I didn’t say anything to him. Then he got up and said, “why don’t you go back to the back and wait like everyone else.” I didn’t respond again but this time there was a lady behind me who said she needed to catch her connecting flight that was already boarding. The guy then said “well the rules havent changed but if you want to be a jerk go ahead.”

The lady who had the connecting flight definitely had a valid reason to “cut” in line, but when was this ever a rule lol? I don’t think I did anything wrong because everyone who I “skipped” could have gotten up and waited in the aisle, so AITA here?

Edit 1: Grammar

Edit 2: Added airline for more context

Edit 3: I got out of my seat after the seatbelt sign was off and the bridge was connected to the plane

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I have never once been on a plane in which every section was not instantly full of standing people before the seatbelt notification had finished, but go for it if everyone else is being slow, I guess.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Pomme de Terror posted:

AITA For getting up and lining up to exit the airplane before the people in front of me got up?

I saw this same thing happen once on a flight where this old lady brought this poor college-age woman to tears because she dared to stand up in the aisle while waiting to deplane.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Pomme de Terror posted:

The comments I saw yesterday on this were all tearing OP to shreds and it's like bro how do you care this much about this, wow

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Flying with a toddler has freed me from the shackles of rushing to deboard. We're going to be a slow motion poo poo show no matter what, so we might as well wait until the end. It takes maybe 7 minutes longer than joining the scrum.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for embarrassing my sister, BIL, and his friend after I was set up on a surprise blind date?

quote:

I (25F) have never been interested in romantic relationships. It just doesn’t appeal to me, I’m very busy with grad school and work and I like being on my own. I have friends and a dog and that’s honestly enough, I’m happy with my life. My family thinks this is weird beyond belief and the pressure has ramped up now that even my younger brother has gotten married and I’m the only one left “on the shelf”. My older sister’s husband has been offering to set me up for years because I’m “too hot” to stay single, whatever that means. I’ve always tried to refuse politely, but it’s wearing thin.

I was home visiting my parents this weekend and my sister invited me out to dinner at a new restaurant. It was an upscale place so she said to wear something nice. I thought it was just going to be the three of us, but there was another guy in the car when they picked me up. He said he was BIL’s friend Joe. Awkward, but not too unusual. We get to the restaurant and sit down and Joe keeps trying to make conversation with me with BIL and my sister egging it on and I finally joke “Am I on a date or something, what’s with all the questions?” and my sister straight up says “Yes, we thought you just needed a little push, so we decided to set you two up.”

I ask Joe if he knew about this and he admitted that BIL told him he wanted to set him up on a blind date, but that he was glad he came. So I was the only one that didn’t know it was a date. I was pretty mad, but didn’t want to cause a scene in the restaurant, so I finished dinner and gave really short responses to questions (“So you’re in a Ph.D program?” “Yes.” “What’s that like?” “Busy.”) and the evening just stayed really uncomfortable and awkward. Joe apologized in the car and I told him it wasn’t his fault but he probably shouldn’t let BIL set him up again and I wasn’t interested in dating anyone. Apparently he told BIL off in the car about making him look bad so that he didn’t even have a chance.

My sister is mad because I was rude and embarrassed them when they were just trying to help me out of my shell. My parents think I should have appreciated the gesture and given Joe a chance because “you never know” and want me to apologize.

my apology would be "i'm sorry you're all such a bunch of fuckwits that your family member is going no contact with you"

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for telling off my SILs little sister because of her dress color?

I am a 43yo woman and my daughter, Genevieve, is 26. She was engaged to Richard, and I was thrilled to plan their wedding with her as a mother-daughter team.

However, there was an issue with Richard's family, particularly his younger sister, Raylee (17) who had an 'alternative' style. Though I didn't make any comments, I wasn't impressed when we first met her, she showed up wearing a skull tank-top, ripped shorts, and fishnets at Christmas dinner.

Well she didn't come with her baby in tow, so she's doing better than you were at her age!

Also, colour coded families at weddings are a thing? I am getting married in less than 3 months and I love reading this thread because I realize my wedding and the people involved are just so, so normal. And my mom is not invited because she's an rear end in a top hat to my fiancée and I'm not a spineless reddit dork :cabot:

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Pomme de Terror posted:

As someone who has ever had another connection to make, gently caress what literally anyone else in the plane thinks. If their slow rear end wants to faff about for 30 seconds, realize it’s their turn, stand, spend another 30 seconds remembering which overhead they stored things in, and then struggle to unwedge the oversized bag they can neither lift nor carry in the first place, repeat for every person on the plane, then they can do it after people who have places to be and are ready to move.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I have never once been on a plane in which every section was not instantly full of standing people before the seatbelt notification had finished, but go for it if everyone else is being slow, I guess.
This is the reality, though

AmiYumi fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 16, 2023

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Flying with a toddler has freed me from the shackles of rushing to deboard. We're going to be a slow motion poo poo show no matter what, so we might as well wait until the end. It takes maybe 7 minutes longer than joining the scrum.

this is absolutely the key. i flew for work often enough to be on a first name basis with TSA agents in multiple domestic airports. flying sucks, you gain nothing but stress trying to rush the whole process. you're seriously champing at the bit to get out into an airport terminal? sit for another five minutes and you won't be bumping into a mass of the world's most oblivious people while trying to grab your carry on or whatever.

if you have a connecting flight all bets are off, but at least inform the other passengers in your row if you're not already in the aisle seat

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

Everyone stands up in part because of people like this charging ahead. Just chill and let the people in front of you go and everyone is better off, then nobody needs to charge ahead either.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Foo Diddley posted:

i just bought a new TV 'cuz it only cost like a hundred bux more than getting the old one hauled away, so if homeboy just wanted to be cheap there are plenty of options. he wants to deny his wife a working TV entirely

New TVs are shockingly cheap compared to what they used to be 10-15 years ago, because they expect to you buy/upgrade one every couple of years, or that the service apps like Netflix stop being compatible with your old model.

You can find a 50" "4K UHD" TV for less then $300, I'm sure that some models/brands aren't that great but even still, that's insane. For many cases it's not worth it to repair a TV versus just getting a new one, maybe a 4 figure top of the line one OLED but that repair cost will also be a huge $$$.

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for embarrassing my sister, BIL, and his friend after I was set up on a surprise blind date?

my apology would be "i'm sorry you're all such a bunch of fuckwits that your family member is going no contact with you"

As an ace person, fuuuuuuuck this entire family! This is giving me flashbacks to before I came out and my fam just…not understanding I don’t want that kind of relationship. Took a bit of therapy to get through that, but we’re all on the same page now!

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

pentyne posted:

New TVs are shockingly cheap compared to what they used to be 10-15 years ago, because they expect to you buy/upgrade one every couple of years, or that the service apps like Netflix stop being compatible with your old model.

You can find a 50" "4K UHD" TV for less then $300, I'm sure that some models/brands aren't that great but even still, that's insane. For many cases it's not worth it to repair a TV versus just getting a new one, maybe a 4 figure top of the line one OLED but that repair cost will also be a huge $$$.

55", actually, and they hauled off my old CRT too. i was completely amazed. also i shouldn't have to replace it until it breaks, since all i do with it is stream poo poo from my PC and play games on the emulator box

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Foo Diddley posted:

Ah good, the ol comments section has plenty "But you should have been nice to him and chat with him (as if it was a date) anyway, it's not like he knew!"

Fun things that come out in the comments include that the guy absolutely kept trying to make this a date the whole time even when it was clear it was not a date. Every conversation focused on trying to get her to engage as if it was a date. Nobody else would carry on conversations with each other, they had to try to jam her in at every moment.

Also one guy says Joe "dodged a bullet" and the slightest look at his posting history shows that his favorite thing is to call people pedophiles for absolutely any reason, like if he doesn't like what they put on sandwiches.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 16, 2023

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
lol, i saw the dodged a bullet comment but didn't check the dude's post history. another absolute gem of a redditor

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Re: standing in the aisles after a flight.

I have bad knees, so I take the opportunity to stand up and stretch my legs the second I can after multiple hours being sat down in a cramped chair. It doesn't get me off the plane any quicker, I just want to stand up after being uncomfortable, especially after a long flight.

Also, as has been mentioned before, there are often people with children, and awkwardly placed bags etc. that need extra time and space before they can get themselves ready to leave. So there are sometimes gaps where you can walk ahead of people sitting in front of you. So long as you aren't an arsehole about it, and don't push people out of the way, or actively deny others the chance to walk down the aisle, there is no real issue. Coz, again as has been said before, it being the first or last to stand up doesn't really add or take much time away from your trip, that has already taken multiple hours. And some people need to run to catch their connecting flight, so its the polite thing to do to let them ahead of you.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

pentyne posted:

I got a new 55" QLED one for a hair over a grand. In laptops that will get you what, a mid-tier Surface? 100% this guy dropped a lot more on his laptop than a new TV would have cost.

Foo Diddley posted:

Lmao "I did a thing you specifically told me not to do, why don't you appreciate the gesture?"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Not just a laptop but a gaming laptop, so minimum $1k premium just for the luxury of mobile gaming

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I went to shopping about a year ago and I thought tv prices were pretty good compared to 10 years ago.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Using built-in TV audio and calling himself not a cheapskate. smdh over here.

I see you work in A/V sales. They convinced us to get a sound bar, but when we turned on the TV we realized it was fine. Like, what is it supposed to sound like?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I'm up as soon as the flight is on the ground and you bet I get out faster than those people with a bunch of bags and kids.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

I see you work in A/V sales. They convinced us to get a sound bar, but when we turned on the TV we realized it was fine. Like, what is it supposed to sound like?

You want a subwoofer. That's it, just a Soundbar with a subwoofer is ages better than two stereo speakers

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's supposed to have an actual bass response, which you aren't getting from the quarter-inch drivers built in to the tv.

A sound bar with even more tiny drivers isn't really the answer to that though.

If you're just watching talking heads then the built-in stuff will be sufficient, if you want a good experience with music or movies or high-drama shows then you'll want an actual amp, subwoofer and freestanding speakers.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I got gifted a subwoofer and sound bar and it all sounds the same to me. I mean the soundbar is louder but I don't need either of them to be at max volume.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
yeah, my TV sounded kind of tinny without a sound bar. i just got a cheapy one so nbd

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Foo Diddley posted:

They hosed around and found out, and ofc redditors are screaming bloody murder for poor Joe who didn't get to get his dick wet find a connection in his heart.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

They took the speakers out of TVs and sell them as soundbars for more money. Thinness is great but sound is simply more important.

On deplaning; once time I flew to LA from Vegas and it was a flight with very many people getting connections. The flight crew made an announcement to the effect of "a lot of people on board have VERY tight connections, if you're not getting on another flight straight away, please stay seated unless you have to be running through the terminal. This is not a joke, please help us".

Prettttty much everyone instantly stood up when the plane landed and there was a lot of shoving in the aisles. People started politicking about who was the most in-a-rush. Despicable behavior imo. Dude next to me had a flight to (iirc) Melbourne in like twenty minutes and got locked in behind a boomer lady who couldn't figure out overhead compartments.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I'm up as soon as the flight is on the ground and you bet I get out faster than those people with a bunch of bags and kids.

Yeah, but then you're just sitting around in the terminal waiting for the crew to bring them out to you

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I've never heard people arguing in an airplane on who needs to go first, that makes me laugh. Everyone on a plane is in the middle of doing something, no one gets on a plane having nothing to do.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I got gifted a subwoofer and sound bar and it all sounds the same to me. I mean the soundbar is louder but I don't need either of them to be at max volume.

Did you turn the subwoofer on?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I've never heard people arguing in an airplane on who needs to go first, that makes me laugh. Everyone on a plane is in the middle of doing something, no one gets on a plane having nothing to do.

That's not untrue, but it's pretty clear that some people are more pressed for time and the kind thing to do is not get in their way. An LAX > Melbourne flight is very, very expensive and I would guess that the lady deplaning ahead of the guy was not about to get on another plane within the hour.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Did you turn the subwoofer on?

Yeah. It's fine. I mean I use it because why not it's there but the battery died in the remote for it a week and a half ago so I'm back to tv speakers and I don't hear any difference. That reminds me I need to get a battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Friend goes on long monologues and doesn't want me to participate

quote:

My (28F) friend (28M) of 5 years likes to go on really long monologues that often span multiple topics. They're not conversations, they're just one-sided monologues that last for like ten minutes at a time.

If I try to jump in to say something, they get upset and say I'm interrupting and not letting them finish, even if they've already been talking for minutes already and have gone through 2-3 topics. They say I won't be able to comment 'properly' because I 'haven't let them finish' or 'haven't let them get to the point'.

I've tried to explain it's hard to stay engaged when they just go on and on in a string of topics in great detail, and that it's hard to have a conversation that way, and they insist that it's not even supposed to be a conversation but an "essay", and that I'm just supposed to respond when they're done and have made their grand overarching point, and only then will I understand enough to have a worthy response at all.

I don't sit there making notes to respond to once they've finished jumping between talking about four different topics in great detail. And many of these topics are like political history or related to controversial topics they read in the news which they already know I'm not totally interested in; I know they're not interested in some of my hobbies and don't push it on them.

But they get so. mad. if I try to participate before they've "finished" or remark that I can't just stand around listening to an "essay" about three random topics they're trying to string together. He says that I miss the point and can't comment, but the topics are literally so random and if it's been like 10 minutes and he still hasn't gotten to the point, I just don't care.

I don't know what to do. I don't know how to talk to them about it because they just get mad at me for trying to interject or for saying I can't just sit and listen to the 10 minute monologue without making a peep. If I don't do that, they say they hate talking to me. Is there any way to talk about this?

TLDR; Friend almost daily talks for a long time about random things in great detail and just wants me to sit there and shut up while he goes on and on, I can only talk when he's done. He's mad at me because I told him that's hard to pay attention for that long or that it's annoying to not be able to participate. How do I salvage it?