Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

23 Skidoo posted:

I feel it's a bit poo poo to lump Labor as the decision makers for subs... they may support it, may not behind closed doors, but this AUKUSward policy technically is a Liberal policy and if we were to renege or walsh on the deal like we did with the French subs we'd be better off financially until we weren't due to souring of relations.

Not to uncritically side with him for numerous reasons but Keating was not wrong when he pointed out that Albanese and the other senior ministers involved are political cowards who gave fawning unconditional support to this the literal day Morrison revealed it to them them without any meaningful consideration put into the wider ramifications or cost because he was terrified of being seen as an opposition leader who ever opposed anything

This isn't someone else's problem they were saddled with, it's their policy and they're proud of it. It's on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
how many countries has Australia invaded in the last 40 years, and how many has China?

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

swimsuit posted:

how many countries has Australia invaded in the last 40 years, and how many has China?

China has mucked around on its edges for decades (Bhutan, Nepal, India, Vietnam, Indonesia, Philippines, etc) and Australia has done as it's told by the US when the US has wanted moral support for its own mucking around outside the Americas. Australia also has also fiddled with Indonesia and E. Timor.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

swimsuit posted:

China is definitely expansionist and is aggressively pushing economic power through belt and road, trade policies, and the actions of the Chinese diaspora.

But we're not going to see some Red Dawn scenario that the hawks pushed in the SMH article. Even an invasion of Taiwan is unlikely.

Apart from the trade/economics/influence front, our most serious engagement with China is likely to be some kind of naval stand-off where we/US do a freedom of navigation exercise through disputed waters.

So they're not a cuddly panda, but they're not landing paratroopers in Darwin next week either.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Electric Wrigglies posted:

China has mucked around on its edges for decades (Bhutan, Nepal, India, Vietnam, Indonesia, Philippines, etc) and Australia has done as it's told by the US when the US has wanted moral support for its own mucking around outside the Americas.Australia also has also fiddled with Indonesia and E. Timor.

I’ll tell ya, this is a bit of a creative interpretation of what happened in East Timor.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

swimsuit posted:

Australia has invaded every country the USA has since WW2, plus more

Will this be your "are we the baddies?" moment? Probably not hey

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Ranter posted:

You're repeating his exact post as a gotcha? Is this the future under China? Redundant posting?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ranter posted:

Surely not Grenada

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
All the way with JRB!

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
We should invade Denmark

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Personally, I think we should lick the boots of both America and China. Why must we choose only one?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Personally, I think we should lick the boots of both America and China. Why must we choose only one?

:hai:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Pleasant Friend posted:

Paul Keating was Australia's Tony Blair and stanning for him because he makes some lovely anti-american remarks is this thread showing its full rear end.

It's definitely a case of "Heartbreaking: The worst person you know just made a great point".

I'm no Keating fan, but on this he's right. We can have a defensive posture that isn't funnelling money into US weapons manufacturers. How are those F-35s going?

Edit: It's also really funny that whenever someone describes the evils of China you can word replace it and it remains basically accurate for America. Imperial powers gonna act like imperial powers in imperial power shock!

hooman fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 17, 2023

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
can someone give me a breakdown of chinas imperialism im new to geopolitics

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Australia needs its own independent nuclear deterrent.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

swimsuit posted:

can someone give me a breakdown of chinas imperialism im new to geopolitics

Chinese capital is used to set up neo colonial projects in poor countries to steal their resources to create more Chinese capital which is then used to invade Tibet to free the slaves n peasants #freetibet

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
The government spent 1.3 billion on tomahawk steaks

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Brisbane is the only Australian city to be recognised in Time’s annual “worlds greatest places” list.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-03-17/time-magazine-brisbane-greatest-destinations-in-the-world/102109538

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Australia needs its own independent nuclear deterrent.

Yep, let Lucas Heights go into meltdown. Some radioactive Sharks fans should be enough to make a potential invader think twice.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Recoome posted:

Brisbane is the only Australian city to be recognised in Time’s annual “worlds greatest places” list.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-03-17/time-magazine-brisbane-greatest-destinations-in-the-world/102109538

That's nothing. This now dead Seattle based news website once declared Newcastle a "Hipster Mecca", which I can only assume is a roundabout way of saying extremely white.
https://seattleglobalist.com/2012/04/13/five-global-hipster-cities-cooler-than-seattle/2296

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

hooman posted:

I'm no Keating fan, but on this he's right. We can have a defensive posture that isn't funnelling money into US weapons manufacturers. How are those F-35s going?

Apparently the F-35s are going good now and we have like 60 of them lol. Our F-35 stock is almost as big as the Indonesian air force's entire combat aircraft complement for the John Marsden fans out there.

JBP fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 17, 2023

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
^^ I've seen other reports, such as the below:
https://blogs.griffith.edu.au/asiainsights/australia-spent-billions-on-jet-fighters-off-the-plan-now-were-having-trouble-even-flying-them/

In other news, weaselly oval office Jim Chalmers has graced us with this turd.

Guardian Australian posted:

“Australia has a productivity problem,” Chalmers will tell the event, according to advance remarks circulated by his office.
He will tell the Ceda event that national income would have been $4,600 higher in 2020 if productivity had just kept pace with the 60-year average. “If we stay stuck on the current course, the PC projects future incomes will be 40% lower and the working week 5% longer,” Chalmers will say.

Really... will it Jim? If we had only lifted "productivity" (he's conflating multifactor productivity with labour productivity, because labour productivity keeps going up) all our wages would be higher, huh? Ooh and if we don't we'll have to work more or earn less? gently caress, I guess those are the only two loving possible options if workers aren't outputting as much as you demand during a global loving pandemic.

Wait a second, I guess this graph showing labor productivity and wages being disconnected since the 90s (and probably earlier too I just can't find info on it) will just evaporate into nothingness if we did more productivity this time. So this time when productivity goes up wages will go up! We should just entirely disregard the destruction of unions and right to strike and all the evidence we see, because this time will be different, you pinky promise. gently caress you, you disingenous oval office. Go spend another billion on missiles.

EDIT: Graph source: https://australiainstitute.org.au/post/real-wages-have-not-kept-up-with-productivity/

hooman fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 17, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

That would be dangerously like sensible foreign policy. Then again, pretty sure the last PM who tried that was Rudd and we know how that worked out.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Recoome posted:

I’ll tell ya, this is a bit of a creative interpretation of what happened in East Timor.
I would say it is too "light"

hooman posted:

I think you should look around and see that 5th generation fighters (and all modern military products for that matter) for everyone have been a huge resource drain.

What defensive posture would you suggest? Keating isn't taking into account expansionist policies pursued by China and this will alienate Australia if we follow his advice. Yeah, Australia has had lovely foreign policy(especially E.Timor) in the past but that doesn't mean much larger countries can't be worse than us.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

gently caress off oval office

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

'Military procurement' has been pretty nakedly protection money to the US for a long time.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

kirbysuperstar posted:

gently caress off oval office

2004 was the first federal election I voted in, and it was such a disappointment to see Howard reelected. In hindsight, I can't believe how much of a bullet we dodged.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
My first federal election was 2007; so I didn’t pay much attention to politics at that time (and everyone else in my extended family is a lifelong crusted on liberal voter, it wasn’t till I left school and became exposed to the real world that my views shifted pretty leftwards).

Was Latham always this hosed? If so how did he become labor leader? Or did he get some kind of brain worm infestation later on?

All I really remember about the 2004 election was my highschool headmaster telling everyone in assembly about how essential it was that we convince our parents to vote liberal or else the school would suffer horribly.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Recoome posted:

How else would you describe spying on them to win out negotiations for an unequal carve-up of resources located between the two nations?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

From what I remember Latham was well known as a maniac even by the time he ran as Labor leader, and I suspect he basically only ended up in that position because nobody else wanted the job, or at least could even pretend they were trying to win.

That said I'm pretty sure the brainworms got worse and worse over time, possibly from untreated mental illness and then the inevitable spiral into American right wing indoctrination.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

From what I remember Latham was well known as a maniac even by the time he ran as Labor leader,

The Chaser called him "Labor Policy Thug"

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Budzilla posted:

I would say it is too "light"

I think you should look around and see that 5th generation fighters (and all modern military products for that matter) for everyone have been a huge resource drain.

What defensive posture would you suggest? Keating isn't taking into account expansionist policies pursued by China and this will alienate Australia if we follow his advice. Yeah, Australia has had lovely foreign policy(especially E.Timor) in the past but that doesn't mean much larger countries can't be worse than us.

Is there any amount of military procurement that will result in Australia winning a war with China?

I guess this is fundamentally a philosophical question rather than a policy one. Either we throw billions at weapons at the beck and call of the US to aid their posturing against China, or we say "lol" and keep good trade and relations with China and act as an economic partner (note partner) in South East Asia.

We are entering an economically bipolar world, from an economically unipolar one. Possibly even tripolar depending on what the eurozone does. So doing only US lead military procurement seems a far worse defence strategy than, if we take the military defence view of "we buy poo poo so we don't get invaded, not because it will actually stop anyone who really wants to try", spreading out our bribes between the US, EU and China.

hooman fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Mar 17, 2023

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
election ads should stop the second early voting starts

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Electric Wrigglies posted:

How else would you describe spying on them to win out negotiations for an unequal carve-up of resources located between the two nations?

i was more thinking about Indonesia's occupation of East Timor

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Also [SERIOUS] question here, how does the government expect anyone with a HECS debt to pay off the loan with the 2023 indexation looking like 7.19%? The increase for me will be about 7k this year which means I'm effectively dead in the water as that is slightly more than I contribute in a year.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Recoome posted:

Also [SERIOUS] question here, how does the government expect anyone with a HECS debt to pay off the loan with the 2023 indexation looking like 7.19%? The increase for me will be about 7k this year which means I'm effectively dead in the water as that is slightly more than I contribute in a year.

Have you considered getting an overpaid job as a business consultant?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
If they don't announce any changes to indexation in the budget i might just pay off the rest of my hecs debt before June 30 to get ahead of it.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

hooman posted:

Is there any amount of military procurement that will result in Australia winning a war with China?

I guess this is fundamentally a philosophical question rather than a policy one. Either we throw billions at weapons at the beck and call of the US to aid their posturing against China, or we say "lol" and keep good trade and relations with China and act as an economic partner (note partner) in South East Asia.

What does winning a war even look like now?

The biggest overwhelming military force on the planet didn't "win" in Iraq, Afghanistan, Iraq '91 (although liberating Kuwait was a victory of sorts), Vietnam, Korea.

The last decisive victory was what, WWII? I don't think you could call skirmishes in Somalia, Balkans, Grenada etc "wars" as such.

Russia sure as poo poo isn't winning Ukraine.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Recoome posted:

i was more thinking about Indonesia's occupation of East Timor

Ah, you referred to East Timor in your post so I thought you meant when East Timor was a nation post 1999.

But yes, Australia fiddled with Indonesia and had opinions about what Indonesia should look like up to and including sending troops into borders previously recognized by Australia to separate out East Timor again. My old man earned his war service loan from Konfrontasi (learnt how to speak Bahasa Indo even) and my sister served in E. Timor during the Dili Dash for Cash (including getting traumatized by the civilian torture victims she treated as a medic) - I am well aware that a much greater amount of hyperbole could be utilized. The point was not why Australia fiddled, just that we did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Word cloud for February: