Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Larryb posted:

Would it be better to read the manga or watch the anime then (or are both equally good)?

Honestly I never saw the original anime (just Ultimate Muscle) but read all the manga (including the spinoffs and sequels like Nisei). The manga rules but it starts as a gag parody of tokusatsu for a few dozen chaps before the first wrestling tournament comes up (arpund chapter 28, the chojin olympic arc) and THEN it becomes a full on superhuman wrassler manga.

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Finally!

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
I’m actually excited for the anime because while the visuals of Elusive Samurai are great the walls of history text causes me to zone out from the story most of the time

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I quite like the History stuff.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It was funny to see the son of the high priest getting horrified at seeing the exposition dialog saying that every historian the author met said he was a completely unimportant guy.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Plutonis posted:

It was funny to see the son of the high priest getting horrified at seeing the exposition dialog saying that every historian the author met said he was a completely unimportant guy.

Also said exposition saying they could find absolutely no info about his personality or anything notable about him, despite being able to do so for both his father and son.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shaman King Flowers is getting an anime adaption next year:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=_IibHdCX7Nk

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Ginka and Gluna definitely feels like it’s done.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sakamoto Days loving rules

"that gun doesn't have the range!"

"I'll make it work."

*throws gun*

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

"that gun doesn't have the range!"

"I'll make it work."

*throws gun*

He didn't throw the gun he just gave the bullet a little more momentum while firing it. Discount Wanted is what it is.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Mashle: I actually really like Meliadoul and wish she'd shown up more before this arc.

Tokyo Demon Bride: Ugh, don't like this twist. "oH i WaS jUsT tEsTiNg YoU" BOO THIS MAN(GA)

Blue Box: This chapter really got to me for some reason. Those last three pages hosed me up.

Yozakura Family: Title drop, also YO WHAT

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

The Black Stones posted:

Ginka and Gluna definitely feels like it’s done.

Yup. It's a shame.

Mashle: really had me worried for a moment that we were going to have another filler arc

Witch Watch: some really dark implications about that spell

Ichinose Family: so he's been in a coma this whole time? If that's true it feels like a real cop out

Cipher Academy: I know the series is probably done, but this whole arc so far feels like something you would have done once things were more established. Having characters you barely know pretend to be other characters you barely know doesn't really work that well

Electric Phantasm posted:

Alacron posted:

Tokyo Demon Bride: Ugh, don't like this twist. "oH i WaS jUsT tEsTiNg YoU" BOO THIS MAN(GA)

:hmmyes:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Alacron posted:

Tokyo Demon Bride: I fully expected it, because literally the only female opponent that remained evil after confrontation with MC in Tokyo Demon Bride were the Rabbit sisters, but that doesn't change anything about the fact that it sucks and feels completely unearned. Oh well.

Ginko & Gluna: Yep we are pretty much done here.

Fabricant 100: I continue really liking this series as its finding it's feet. A little more info about how Fabricant work are always welcome and it might have some interesting ramifications about the future opponents/clashes. Also are we doing a Demon Slayer-style flashback in next chapter? I am not big fan as they always felt kinda cheap to me, but Fabricant 100 keeps portraying Fabricants as inherently inhuman even in places where other series would go for sympathy, so we'll see what they actually do with it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
ginka and gluna felt like an experiment in creating a manga with the absolute minimum amount of setup. it moved at such a breakneck pace there was nothing to grasp onto

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I can't really blame the attempt since it's easy to take the lesson that Jump readers don't really tolerate setup lately.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
The way Mashle just steals copies stuff from other series should bother me, but it's so bold/non-chalant about it I kind gotta respect it

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Alacron posted:

Yozakura Family: Title drop, also YO WHAT
lmao just casually dropping that in the last panel

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

I can't really blame the attempt since it's easy to take the lesson that Jump readers don't really tolerate setup lately.

Even compared to modern titles in a rush, Ginko and Gluna stands out. Looking at the latest somewhat successful title (ignoring Ruri), Akane Banashi spends chapter 1 on a prologue story set years before the main action. Meanwhile, Ginko skips over all the setup.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I think Ginko & Glunas first chapter was good. It did ok job by skipping mostly the filler we all knew was happening anyways, while still delivering the important emotional and story beats. Where Ginko & Gluna screwed up were the next few chapters, where the pace, the powers of the main character, the way the world was presented, etc... was all over the place and it wasn't sure what it even wants to do with the story. It eventually settled into "wizard war crimes" which was pretty great, but it did that far too late to save the series.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Scallop Eyes posted:

The way Mashle just steals copies stuff from other series should bother me, but it's so bold/non-chalant about it I kind gotta respect it

I mean in this case it is s hilariously obvious homage more than usual.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I kind of dislike that setup can’t really be done in Jump unless you are an established series.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Scallop Eyes posted:

The fact that it copies and then turns it around in some way is kind of what I like.

It knows you know it's copying but has it's own plan.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Honestly I'm wondering if G&G is gonna get a new life elsewhere what with the memory reset and the baddie getting away.

Maybe get moved to a different magazine and start over.

It'd be nice.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
nah, this is as clear of a 'our journey continues!' cancellation as it gets. this random guy who showed up out of nowhere and has now been beaten had most of ginka's body!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Honestly I'm wondering if G&G is gonna get a new life elsewhere what with the memory reset and the baddie getting away.

Maybe get moved to a different magazine and start over.

It'd be nice.

Sales are considerably below Demon Bride Story, and Demon Bride Story was still well below Ayashimon (which was also underprinted initially, further dropping its sales).

The only series that survived any real length of time at those sales levels in recent Jump was High School Family, and that one's a real oddball, even for a gag.

GnG is a dead series walking. The only question is where to put the tombstone.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I just wish good things for the author.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Scallop Eyes posted:

Yeah, having straight up the Door of Truth from FMA got a chuckle out of me.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's not consistent with all of his power being based on his physical body. but who cares? it's a real good joke. i wish they'd have sacrificed more for the sake of jokes during the long, boring stretch where mash was out of commission.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

I Am Fowl posted:

Yeah, having straight up the Door of Truth from FMA got a chuckle out of me.

And promised Netherland ending

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New chapter of Yomi no Tsugai. Among all the new information I was also reminded of the horrors of japanese yokai. And being smothered by giant Tanuki testicles

Jose posted:

And promised Netherland ending
I memory holed everything after the Goldy Pond arc so badly I forgot that was part of the ending. Man it sucked that PN shat the bed.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/Yorozuya_Kicks/status/1637685431138652160

I will never get tired of Gintama doing this joke

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was announced recently that Kodansha is releasing their own competitor to Viz's Shonen Jump app. It will have a vault of older releases as well as simul-pub of current running series. It launches May 10th in America only but no word yet on pricing.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
As long as it's not like MangaUp I'm excited.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Looking through their website they got some good poo poo besides Attack on Titan.

So hoping it's similar to Viz.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
US only so I’m assuming Canada will be shafted.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Would be great to have easy digital versions of Akira and Sailor Moon to read.

And it's a long shot, but maybe we'll get official Hajime no Ippo? :pray:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

muscles like this! posted:

It was announced recently that Kodansha is releasing their own competitor to Viz's Shonen Jump app. It will have a vault of older releases as well as simul-pub of current running series. It launches May 10th in America only but no word yet on pricing.

Sounds good, but I've been spoiled by how well Viz has been handling their subscription, so I hope this is even half as good as that (and not twice as expensive)

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
The promo image they're using has a little banner ad about earning points, so I'm going to expect it's an mtx hell rather than a sensible subscription. They've also already acknowledged that due to app store restrictions there will be series they just do not put in K Manga, with no current plans to have "web-only" series similar to how you can read Golden Kamuy on the Viz site (but not the app).

Maybe it'll be a decent way to keep up on simulpubs but having seen this business model on other sites I'm obviously pessimistic.

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
Alpha Manga runs like that, too, which is a bummer because there is no other official source for May I Ask for One Final Thing or Observation Log of my Fiancee. Would like to buy those, but can only buy tickets to rent instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
US Only, for both paying customers and them trying to stop piracy, is about as useful as gills on a mountain goat and thrice as frustrating.

I mean its probably gonna be the whole nine yards; Robo Censorship, Robo Translations (no matter how much they promise the opposite), Microsoft Points used to rent in lieu of just buying the thing, but thanks for just capping the monster now an saving me the bother, Kodansha.

Really, for something in the wings for allegedly two years, this whole things reeks of being written on the back of a napkin the day after it was due.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Mar 22, 2023