Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Later hired goons trapped me inside the elf's house and killed me so many times until I kited them through some bears territory while running around in the woods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Sounds like some good times. :toot:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Starfield feels like them doubling down on all the worst parts of Fallout 4 which is why I’m pretty pessimistic about the game. I really want nothing to do with building or radiant content and prefer hand crafted quests and content and I’m really worried about in infecting Elder Scrolls more than it already has.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
That seems like an absurd statement to me. I came in with Daggerfall, so I have always associated ES with an attempt to extend the gameplay via procedural generation.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I feel like every broad generation of games has built a larger and larger base of players, with Daggerfall being fairly niche, then more players with Morrowind, even more with Oblivion and Fallout 3, and an absolute landslide of players with Skyrim and Fallout 4, so it's not crazy that this use of proc gen content is simultaneously recognized as a return to an older era of Bethesda design by some people but also something most franchise players haven't experienced directly.

I think as long as every planet has something at least reviewed and edited by a designer, it'll prevent the biggest problem of two proc gen planeta of similar type being largely interchangeable.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Jack B Nimble posted:

I think as long as every planet has something at least reviewed and edited by a designer, it'll prevent the biggest problem of two proc gen planeta of similar type being largely interchangeable.

I believe they said they'll have a bunch of planets with stuff that's created and the other planets they'll make to to let the player know some how, yeah this proc gen, so you can look around, build stuff, mine stuff, but don't expect interesting stuff. Which seems like a pretty good way to go about it. Let the people who want to just wander around some proc gen planets for what ever reason -apparently some people like that sort of exploring stuff :shrug:- do it, let those who don't want to avoid them.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

I feel like every broad generation of games has built a larger and larger base of players, with Daggerfall being fairly niche, then more players with Morrowind, even more with Oblivion and Fallout 3, and an absolute landslide of players with Skyrim and Fallout 4, so it's not crazy that this use of proc gen content is simultaneously recognized as a return to an older era of Bethesda design by some people but also something most franchise players haven't experienced directly.

This still leads to the potential problem of a thousand planets that have one interesting thing on them apiece, when you could probably fit it all into a continuous map space the size of Rhode Island and nobody would mind. People like the bits of Daggerfall that were actual content (and even that could be hit or miss, what with the Literally Unwinnable Procedural Generation Dungeons), not the enormous featureless plains between points of interest.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The major comparison point I keep returning to for proc gen planets is survival crafting games. In Valhiem, if I go into the woods to chop a wagon load of lumber, basically nothing is going to happen other than I'll have to encounter the enemies that inhabit those woods.

I think the proc gen planets in Starfield are going to be much more related to survival crafting than RPGs, and I hope they're going to be great for players like me who want more eventful resource gathering expeditions than I normally get in that genre.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Proc gen in Bethesda games has always been kind of bad though.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I don't like procedural generation all that much and considering they're shooting for a thousand planets I'm not super confident they'll be able to have really interesting stuff on more than, like, eleven of them. But they are going to have 989 planets with goofy lookin space monsters that I can shoot in the face and steal expensive levelled guns from which is fine by me.

Edit: Mass Effect Andromeda tried to proc gen like twenty planets in their development and it almost killed the game and the feature was scrapped lol

Oh this isn't the Starfield thread gently caress lol

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Original Nordic: Lehgends don't buahn down villages!

Lame Cyrod subs: Dragons were thought to be mythical, but if something is burning down your village, it's real. Those tales were not in fact merely legends, but actual historical shuvaahn [shuvaahn means accounts].

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I think I'll just say what we've all obviously been thinking for the last decade. Dragonborns a pretty lame character, as they could of decided to have themselves a dragon army, and cos they're a lame idiot, they instead killed the dragons.

I mean why stick up for the humans, when they were all pretty much so boring I'm not even sure any of them would notice they're dead.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I kind of just ignored the Blades once I could head to Alduin and kill him/kick him down the temporal road. 'Snax rules the dragons who aren't dumb enough to try and kill the Dragonborn.

However, I expect Elder Scrolls Six: Probably a Fraction of Hammerfell to mention that the majestic giants were wiped out for their toes, and without the giants to keep the mammoth population under check, the civil war - and most of jarl-dom - was officially ended under a tide of hirsute-pachyderm rage.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I just remember when I played Morrowind, five minutes of Oblivion, and Skyrim that a friend of mine pointed out how the Blades have a new role/lore in each game. In Morrowind they aer foreign spies, in Oblivion they are the personal gaurds of the Emperor, and in Skyrim they are ancient dragon hunters or something.

just what will they be next?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Redguard weeb jedi.

As an aside, the radiant quest systems in skyrim ranged from meh (jarl bounty quests) to quite fun with a little bit of modding (Thieves guild collectathon)

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The Thieves Guild random missions were great for roleplaying at least and when you didn't treat them like checklists. You know, take a carriage to the city with the mark, rent a room in the local inn. Get some rest and then get out in the middle of the night for some good old burglary.

I want more stuff like that in future games.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
To be fair to Oblivion it was pretty clear that SOME blades were overt ceremonial guards while MOST were undercover spies. Like, the grand master of the blades is living the quiet life of the master of a monastery, and I don't mean the kung fu kind. Sure, they show up at cloud ruler temple in plate mail, but I presumed that was a grand mobilization in response to the dire situation.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

They're still.spies in Skyrim, or at least were. The racist elves backed a dumptruck full of severed Blade spy heads to the Emperor's front door as part of their war declaration

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

DaysBefore posted:

The racist elves

Look, you're going to have to be more specific.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Pretty sure the blades were officially disbanded by the treaty that ended the war. So as of Skyrim they are disavowed by the empire and have basically been Jedi purged. That's why Delphine and Esbern are in hiding.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

VostokProgram posted:

Pretty sure the blades were officially disbanded by the treaty that ended the war. So as of Skyrim they are disavowed by the empire and have basically been Jedi purged. That's why Delphine and Esbern are in hiding.

I'm aware but the whole backstory about fighting and killing dragons in the past is totally new to Skyrim, isn't it?

That's what I was trying to get at.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Look, you're going to have to be more specific.

The houses of the Dunmer are as racist, if not mroeso, than the Stormcloaks. Having started with Morrowind, Skyrim racism wasn't really surprising to me whatsoever.

Except for the werewolf Fighter guild people. I was a Wood Elf so talking to the one guy who is like "our founder killed a lot of elves...shame he didn't kill more!," and then learning their sacred weapon has a screaming elf face on it, made me think this group wasn't for me. The Dark Brotherhood was much more accepting. Love those folks.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm aware but the whole backstory about fighting and killing dragons in the past is totally new to Skyrim, isn't it?

I'm pretty sure it's just them grasping at straws to give their organization some sense of identity. They were frankly crap at being deep cover Imperial agents and had to outsource most of the important stuff to patsies they fished out of prison, they failed utterly at being the Emperor's bodyguards, the Empire has utterly disavowed them, so now they're falling back on the most uncontroversial impossible to screw up thing, being the support network to dragonslayers like they were to Tiber back in the day. And they're kinda poo poo at THAT as well, hilariously.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

In Elder Scrolls 6 we'll finally no longer be herded around by the Blades. Now we'll get to be herded around by the Penitus Oculatus instead.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Opening cutscene explaining that Penitus Oculatus is just the Nibbenese translation of The Blades

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
To be fair large chunks of time tend to happen between The Blades loving up, and when they do it usually comes down to a case of "We can't let them accomplish anything because anything they could do is better done by the player because they bought the drat game and want to be the one moving the plot forward, not hear that a bunch of cool poo poo happened that they weren't privy to."

Side note: if the Stormcloaks won and kicked out all the Imperial Battlemages keeping it safe, is there anything at all stopping 200 High Elf mages from teleporting a thousand feet above Skyrim and glassing the entire nation in magical hellfire since Nords, you know, are magically incompetent these days because their worship of their oh so glorious history stops just short of any of the times they were actually good at anything that they'd have to live up to? Like, you know, having some of the best mages in human history.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Flytrap posted:

Side note: if the Stormcloaks won and kicked out all the Imperial Battlemages keeping it safe, is there anything at all stopping 200 High Elf mages from teleporting a thousand feet above Skyrim and glassing the entire nation in magical hellfire since Nords, you know, are magically incompetent these days because their worship of their oh so glorious history stops just short of any of the times they were actually good at anything that they'd have to live up to? Like, you know, having some of the best mages in human history.

Nope, not a drat thing!

God the Stormcloaks are just the dumbest chuds stirred into a frenzy by Elven troll farms, aren't they?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Joining an ultranationalist militia because NotAElf420 told me the Empire wants to force my children to drink Potions of Cure Disease

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Flytrap posted:

The dragonborn

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Flinger posted:

The dragonborn

Our protag is gonna disappear into Akavir to see how the Nerevarine is doing 5 minutes after the credits roll, let's be honest.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Can they just like, ask the Elves really nicely not to?

Being polite never hurts!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The Thalmor probably can't do anything that powerful. It took the Heart of Lorkhan to run the Nimidium, and a Daedra lord to throw a meteor at Vvardenfell. They might have been able to do something with the Eye of Magnus but some idiot that only knew Flames, Freeze, and Healing put a stop to that plot.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Flytrap posted:

The fact that the most powerful destruction magic is still weaker than lightly tapping somebody with a sword

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
So on that note, like how did some random whoever just go and take over The College of Winterhold and get a free castle.

It was seriously the most police academy of colleges.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Flytrap posted:

Greybeards yelling at clouds

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
No one else could be assed to do it. They just wanted to sit back and enjoy tenure, while occasionally getting students killed in old ruins or whatever.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Flytrap posted:

To be fair large chunks of time tend to happen between The Blades loving up, and when they do it usually comes down to a case of "We can't let them accomplish anything because anything they could do is better done by the player because they bought the drat game and want to be the one moving the plot forward, not hear that a bunch of cool poo poo happened that they weren't privy to."

I've always been fascinating by how the lore of TES is super high fantasy, and he observed reality is pretty much ASOIAF, maybe a little bit stronger.

Didn't some other ex Imperial province already fight off the Thalmor?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

NikkolasKing posted:

Didn't some other ex Imperial province already fight off the Thalmor?
Hammefell, but it was some sort of Pyrrhic victory

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

They just wanted to sit back and enjoy tenure, while occasionally getting students killed in old ruins or whatever.

After you've finished the Guild plot line I wish you had an option of doing this. :(

"Oh hey you want to learn some magic? Sweet, anyway we can do your first lesson later, for now come with me on a quick field trip to go kill Alduin the world eater. It will be a good learning experience!!!"

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

dr_rat posted:

After you've finished the Guild plot line I wish you had an option of doing this. :(

"Oh hey you want to learn some magic? Sweet, anyway we can do your first lesson later, for now come with me on a quick field trip to go kill Alduin the world eater. It will be a good learning experience!!!"

A magic teacher recklessly letting his students all die? They just released a Harry Potter game tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

so if I get oblivion on steam, what do I need to do to make the game not poo poo?

Did they fix the weird leveling dynamics and stuff or do I need a goon approved mod list?