Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

What’s sequel precious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

i am a moron posted:

You’re a monster

:sickos:

jaegerx posted:

What’s sequel precious?

ess cue ell

Also some Gollum-rear end motherfucker writing SQL queries is strangely evocative of how I view the whole procedure.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

dot jayfe

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Cube cuddle

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Sepist posted:

Cube cuddle

Do you say it Cube or cubbie cause I will do this to annoy people.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Cubbies? MODS

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Fool posted:

I pronounce SCSI, SQL, and others the in the same manner

ess see ess eye

ess que ell

I like to pronounce SQL "skyewel"

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/skil...dium=member_ios

What kind of stupid poo poo is this. God I hate LinkedIn now.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

jaegerx posted:

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/skil...dium=member_ios

What kind of stupid poo poo is this. God I hate LinkedIn now.

I'm wondering if that's a response that the industry is in desperate help for people with entry level break/fix skills.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Blurb3947 posted:

I'm wondering if that's a response that the industry is in desperate help for people with entry level break/fix skills.

WANTED: Entry level technican

10 years experience
Starting salary $20,000 per year

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Blurb3947 posted:

This was in the sysadmin group which I have thankfully left now.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

tehinternet posted:

10 years experience

I keep seeing places that want a cs degree and four years experience for 40k helpdesk work

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

tokin opposition posted:

I keep seeing places that want a cs degree and four years experience for 40k helpdesk work

Some of the worst techs I’ve ever seen had four year degrees

poo poo is nonsensical

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

oh we're doing the BS degree thing again, it has been a few months.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

tehinternet posted:

10 years experience

That's basically half of what my county is asking for a "cyber security analyst"

tokin opposition posted:

This is almost exactly what my county's post is.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 17, 2023

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

jaegerx posted:

oh we're doing the BS degree thing again, it has been a few months.

I suppose it's about time

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Is help desk still really only starting at 40k these days?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

skipdogg posted:

Depends. I just hired a helpdesk guy at 60k in Wisconsin. He actually only asked for 55k but the budget was 60 so he got 60.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Chat support for Uber and DoorDash in America is around $18 an hour so close to 40k.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

jaegerx posted:

Chat support for Uber and DoorDash in America is around $18 an hour so close to 40k.

do they let you double dip another job

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

tokin opposition posted:

do they let you double dip another job

Nah there's no way federal law lets them pull the same BS regarding 1099 contractors for chat support, so I bet my rear end they have some robust tracking for your time and they're gonna get some money's worth out of you. Not sure though. Keep in mind also I imagine for 90+ % of the support requests any average Uber or Dasher person is going to make is going to go to a chat support contact outside of USA. I imagine this is escalation level mostly or only for a specific type of request problematic to handle outside of USA.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Coworkers are loving up a project bigtime and I am about to go on leave for 6 weeks.
I should have just kept my mouth shut but I wound up sending my boss a LONG email detailing all the shortcomings I saw in my very limited involvement.
He called me like 3 times at 10pm and I was dumb enough to call him back.

I lucked out though and it went pretty well. It turns out he feels pretty much the same way (I thought he was asleep at the wheel) and wants to go over everything with me tomorrow so we can right the ship.
I start my leave tomorrow.
I should have kept my mouth shut.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

skipdogg posted:

I interviewed with a law firm for a help desk administrator position last month that started at 60k. Most of the other places I've looked into seem to start north of 50k.

Then again, I'm in the DC metro. But you still see some bug gently caress "entry level t1 help desk, 39k. Must have 3-5 years experience and a MCSA!" job postings.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Inner Light posted:

Nah there's no way federal law lets them pull the same BS regarding 1099 contractors for chat support, so I bet my rear end they have some robust tracking for your time and they're gonna get some money's worth out of you. Not sure though. Keep in mind also I imagine for 90+ % of the support requests any average Uber or Dasher person is going to make is going to go to a chat support contact outside of USA. I imagine this is escalation level mostly or only for a specific type of request problematic to handle outside of USA.

Oh yeah I'm sure they have cameras on all times and make you time your bathroom breaks. Plus the active keyboard/mouse poo poo.

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

I just got hired onto desktop support at 45k, coming up from $18/hr that I was making in the contractor position (same job, converted FTE). They wanted a 4 year degree as well for an initial offer of 40k and it took 4 months of HR finagling to get them to drop the degree requirements from the job listing since I don't have one but have been in the role for 7 months now.

poo poo sucks out there for entry level as hard as ever. At least I got Gov benefits now.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Coworkers are loving up a project bigtime and I am about to go on leave for 6 weeks.
I should have just kept my mouth shut but I wound up sending my boss a LONG email detailing all the shortcomings I saw in my very limited involvement.

I lucked out though and it went pretty well. It turns out he feels pretty much the same way (I thought he was asleep at the wheel) and wants to go over everything with me tomorrow so we can right the ship.

Looks like you just had your leave extended by a day

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

thewizardofshoe posted:

I just got hired onto desktop support at 45k, coming up from $18/hr that I was making in the contractor position (same job, converted FTE). They wanted a 4 year degree as well for an initial offer of 40k and it took 4 months of HR finagling to get them to drop the degree requirements from the job listing since I don't have one but have been in the role for 7 months now.

poo poo sucks out there for entry level as hard as ever. At least I got Gov benefits now.

Where are you, roughly? It seems like you’re getting shafted.

I went from more than that (not much more) at an onsite 7 hours of commuting a week job to a fully remote job making 60 after a single year of pain with only an A+, a few years of admittedly high level management experience, and no degree. It also seems like I’m in a good place to get promoted so I can make even more.

You should go get what you’re worth instead of staying comfortable. You deserve it.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

ASAPRockySituation posted:

Where are you, roughly? It seems like you’re getting shafted.

I went from more than that (not much more) at an onsite 7 hours of commuting a week job to a fully remote job making 60 after a single year of pain with only an A+, a few years of admittedly high level management experience, and no degree. It also seems like I’m in a good place to get promoted so I can make even more.

You should go get what you’re worth instead of staying comfortable. You deserve it.

Literally what happened to me two years ago. Now I’m interviewing for another job around a ~30% jump

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Support was the foot-in-the-door for my current position. I knew two people working in support at the time, and once I was in the door I was out of support within 2 years. My title hasn't changed too much, but my salary has jumped by about $25k if my overtime estimates are right (and I have reason to believe I underestimated--I'll know better in May when I can do a 1yr lookback on my gross income at my current rate).

But the idea of someone with a full CS degree sitting in helpdesk is laughable. Even if you get something, that person is going to stay just long enough for an offer that uses their actual skills to come along. And that is assuming your CS degree holder actually has customer service qualifications as well, which if they do, just makes them all the more valuable in actual development roles because not only can they do CS things, but they can actually communicate what they are doing and also probably why.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
These job listings aren’t mean to be filled. They exist to create unfilled vacancies so the companies can qualify for foreign worker visas, who they will treat like slaves until they quit and get sent home or they are laid off and sent home. The high requirements and low salary are the point, not some out of touch HR thing.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
I pay around $40k for helpdesk in the Chicago suburbs, but I'm also targeting candidates with little to no helpdesk experience and training them.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

NPR Journalizard posted:

Looks like you just had your leave extended by a day

Yeah, adjusting your leave to spend a day getting managerial support beats the hell out of coming back to something like Lord of the Flies or Mad Max.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

EoRaptor posted:

These job listings aren’t mean to be filled. They exist to create unfilled vacancies so the companies can qualify for foreign worker visas, who they will treat like slaves until they quit and get sent home or they are laid off and sent home. The high requirements and low salary are the point, not some out of touch HR thing.

No one is filling help desk jobs with H1-Bs. I don’t think they qualify for help desk work to begin with, and the floor for H1B salary is too high for it

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

There you go, giving a gently caress when it ain't your turn to give a gently caress.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Entry level tech here at the hospital starts at 21/hr, we want you to have some IT experience though. Last 3 techs we've hired have come from Geek Squad and they have worked out amazingly. Some tech skills + customer service skills seems to work out great here. We can teach you the hospital side of IT, but having that background in dealing with unrulely customers really makes the difference when dealing with nurses/doctors. It's a pretty laid back job with minimal stress and we have an amazing work/life balance. We're hiring actually if anyone in the central florida area is looking.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

loving Florida. Good luck.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

I’m in the northeast and my last company started helpdesk folk at $60-70k and had some trouble keeping them around for more than a year

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Going over our internal list of registered subnets, one of our departments has laid claim to 57 /64 IPv6 subnets. I know IPv6 address space is effectively unlimited but I'm not sure they needed to go for a sextillion addresses.

The quintillion in a single /64 MIGHT have sufficed.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

xzzy posted:

Going over our internal list of registered subnets, one of our departments has laid claim to 57 /64 IPv6 subnets. I know IPv6 address space is effectively unlimited but I'm not sure they needed to go for a sextillion addresses.

The quintillion in a single /64 MIGHT have sufficed.
Don't think of it as how many IP addresses they need, but how many subnets they need.

A /64 is supposed to be the smallest general purpose subnet. The assumption that no normal network is going to be smaller is baked in to a few things, most notably SLAAC, so trying to chop it up any further tends to be more hassle than it's worth.

If they need 57 subnets, then yes, they get a sextillion addresses of which they might use 0.0000000000000001% of them. Assuming you have the standard allocation of a /48 that's 0.087% of your total address space. Who cares?

Current internet best practices are to assign a /56 to residential subscribers and other small sites, handing out a full 256 /64s even to your grandma whose home network is two TVs, an iPad, and an iPhone. A lot of guidance even says to just do /48s for every location and not bother differentiating between residential and commercial users but in my experience most ISPs are ignoring that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
hot take, ipv6 sucks and isn’t necessary in the vast majority of corporate environments, as evidenced by the fact it’s been 25 years since it came out and it’s no closer to general adoption thanks to the magic of multiple layers of NAT

Also it provides next to no value until everything is 100% converted since you still need to maintain ipv4 until that date.