Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Chromatics posted:

I would get plastic cement instead, I can't see exactly what the piece is but you might be able to get it bonded together and moving properly. Super-glue is usually too brittle for flat connections like that and will break under stress of posing the model

If you've got a pin vice, I would also suggest thinking about reinforcing the joint with a metal rod--drill a hole in both pieces such that the rod sinks into both sides. It already shor once, and your bond will always be weaker than the original injection piece, so even a little extra will go a long way. And I think it goes without saying but try to articulate that spot as little as possible in the future to extend the longevity of the weld.

A friend of mine had her John Snow action figure break at the wrist joint years ago, and that is what I did to fix it. I added a piece of a staple as the metal reinforcement, and used a less brittle CA glue since I didn't have any plastic cement on hand at the time. Testing after it set seemed to show a full range of motion in the wrist, but I still cautioned her to try and not move that part too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Trip report on the Siren file-

It depends what type/color of plastic and where the nub is but I can make gatemarks vanish with it and nothing else

If the nub is in a spot where there'll be some file contact on the rest of the part or I go a little too far yeah it does leave this hyper-shiny surface that doesn't match the stock plastic finish but overall faster than metal files or sanding sticks with potentially no real cleanup after you're done unless you wanna dull down the surface it might leave to match the rest of the part

I no longer dread the bigass gates on the foot parts and other big parts

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Fantishow/status/1635712513869217814

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
That graffiti is fuckin awesome. However it would be like finding graffiti on an M1 Abrams.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Marx Headroom posted:

That graffiti is fuckin awesome. However it would be like finding graffiti on an M1 Abrams.

Would make a cool diorama of a destroyed MS that was never cleaned up.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

this is peak content

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Lil bro has seen the fun in plamo but just doesn't have the time in his schedule(lotta work, two kids etc). He's been checking out the Rebuild films lately and he just had his bday. So I'm putting together an Eva-01 for him right now. Cool kit! I like all the little mechanisms. Upper arms feel slightly dodgy, like they can come off rather easily. And it's so balanced. I can just plunk it down and without tinkering it will immediately stay upright.

He's going to like it I think. He better keep it away from his kids tho... they're kinda rowdy.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Yes, these aren't toys and kids will absolutely destroy them even if they're being kid careful.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Marx Headroom posted:

The closest I’ve seen

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Snowy posted:

The closest I’ve seen

Okay yes that's sick and now I also can't believe more people don't do this with their gunpla

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

From a friend:

quote:

Get in the robot, hamtaro!

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
So my buddy and his wife just finished up IBO and are looking to get some of the kits. I only have the Barbatos and the Vidar( which I kind of hate), what are some good kits I should recommend they grab or stay away from? They're both beginners fyi.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Rabbi Tupac posted:

So my buddy and his wife just finished up IBO and are looking to get some of the kits. I only have the Barbatos and the Vidar( which I kind of hate), what are some good kits I should recommend they grab or stay away from? They're both beginners fyi.

The IBO line is across the board very solid. Excellent construction, few stickers. The only bad one is the Dantalion, but even that has a good core robot, it's just the giant backpack arms that suck

And the Hyakuri can't stand well by itself, but it comes with a stand so that's a minor issue

What was your problem with the Vidar, I hadn't heard of issues with that kit?

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Rabbi Tupac posted:

I built the HG Lupus Rex. It's a cool kit, but there's a few squirrely parts. The tail is supported by a wire, the holding power might vary. The stickers for the claws are AWFUL to apply, you may want to just paint them yourself. The waist almost entirely the ball and socket connection, it looks fine, but feels odd.

The main thing is that the shoulder pads are goofy. I don't know if I just never followed the directions right or something didn't tighten properly, but they never felt properly secured. Lot of extra space between that blue slot and the white tab, and as I recall, nothing to really keep it from just falling off the shoulder outside of the tightness, which was lacking.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Gripweed posted:

The IBO line is across the board very solid. Excellent construction, few stickers. The only bad one is the Dantalion, but even that has a good core robot, it's just the giant backpack arms that suck

And the Hyakuri can't stand well by itself, but it comes with a stand so that's a minor issue

What was your problem with the Vidar, I hadn't heard of issues with that kit?

I asked Dantalion what he thought about this:

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
chugga-chugga Chugga-Chugga CHUGGA-CHUGGA

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Rabbi Tupac posted:

This one is really simple, but looks great

Gundam Gusion

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
is the RG goose of large stature any good?

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Ohhhhh the 1/100 Big Honkers?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Ohhhhh the 1/100 Big Honkers?

1/144. It's a solid RG. Not amazing like the Nu, but well past the teething pains.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I'm newer to gunpla? How close should I nip the piece before I cut it with the cutting knife? If I do that, about how long should sanding take? It feels like it's taking forever with 800.

I advocate taking the conservative approach with the first nip. Get the part off the runner with substantial pieces hanging off, then go for close-in, perfectly flush nips on the second pass. Even before I picked up a God Hand nipper for the second step I was getting parts that didn't need any sanding. Use your cheapest nipper for the first pass, and if you have a better one use that as the perfectly flush cut.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's gorgeous as hell and was my introduction to gunpla (barring one kit I made as a kid). You really want a stand for it though.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 17, 2023

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
well I had planned on getting some in some fashion..

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Ibblebibble posted:

It's gorgeous as hell and was my introduction to gunpla (barring one kit I made as a kit). You really want a stand for it though.

Seconded. It's got this coating that imo removed the need to topcoat. I didn't even panel line and it still looks like some kind of art deco hood ornament. But yes you really do need an action base.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

yeah it whips rear end

this is just panel lines and stickers on bare plastic, no topcoat like marx headroom said, it's got this cool semi gloss plastic. thirding the need for an action base though i still need to get him one

fake edit: i just noticed one of the side skirts popped out of the leg; that happens pretty frequently with mine but it's not a big deal. that would be my only complaint about it and it's super minor

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

only thing I dont like about it is the elbow joints have super limited motion for an RG

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1636563177411592192?t=u25Cl7IRHD-1ZRpTpBbXEA&s=19

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
What tends to get announced at these things? Upcoming models basically?

Celebrated finally testing COVID-negative with one of my absolute favourite suits:

Probably not even going to paint it, just panel-line and topcoat.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, models across different lines.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I hope there's a new RG announced, I haven't built one in a while.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe the RG Gouf Custom and Ground Gundam will see the light of day and exist beyond some design notes from a decade ago.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I was thinking 'last pg we got that was an entirely new build and not just variants/additions was exia, maybe a new pg? dare to hope?', but then i remembered the pg unleashed happened.

Guess it's just hoping for an MG or something idk.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

They'll all be P-Bandai :v:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
They don’t do P-Bandai stuff at these events.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Thanks for the feedback, I'll recommend them the Gusion for sure. They love all the iterations of that suit.

As for the Vidar, I just really didn't like the build of it when I started it. Very flimsy torso that wouldn't stay up or hold shape. Also way too many stickers.

Rabbi Tupac fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 17, 2023

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Gusion Rebake Full City is a big pass if you hate stickers.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Hating stickers (and the stickers on the Lupus Rex specifically) is a big reason I got into airbrushing. Never again going to deal with those curve-around bullshit things.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The IBO designs are really cool but I'm avoiding most of the HGs because the hourglass exposed waists are really flimsy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Pierson posted:

Hating stickers (and the stickers on the Lupus Rex specifically) is a big reason I got into airbrushing. Never again going to deal with those curve-around bullshit things.

Same here. It's why I went whole-hog even as someone at the 'entry level' in the hobby. The stickers always felt cheap to me, and the expense of all the tools and time to get good at it was well worth the satisfaction.

The weekend is finally here, and I'm going to sprint to the finish line with Unit 5. Hands (specifically the backs of the high-detail hand parts I bought), beam rifle, and gatling gun are on the painting block. Everything else is decals and sealing the thing.

The only thing of note is me still wanting to do a silicone casting of the gatling gun belt. Which comes down to actually making the drat mold. My second attempt at casting a replacement shoulder clip failed because of a bubble in the resin. The resin I have is just too thick for the application, I think. I've got a couple ideas here, but in the future I'm going to source something with a much lower viscosity so I can actually get it to degas before it starts to gel.

The part of the piece that didn't have the bubble came out fantastic though. No defects or loss of detail in those areas, so I know I'm on the right track.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 17, 2023