Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Owlbear Camus posted:

*looks poo poo up on Sarna*

drat ol Stef really leaned into the "mad dictator demanding wunderwaffen" thing.

the rifleman 3 looks like something I would have cooked up at 15 dicking with mech design rules instead of paying attention in algebra

Rifleman 3 is an Urbie's Jojo Stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

So hey, Shrapnel 12 is out, which means I can finally say that I wrote a thing about the 2nd Donegal Guard, and that it all originated with a desire to have a canonical founding day for the unit I play so that I had an excuse to get utterly shithoused

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Grats!

I gotta say, having minis is a real game-changer, our group started playing in a local "game bar" type place in Vancouver and every single time we've been interrupted twice by curious onlookers. Our local Battletech discord has gotten a dozen people in just from following our invite links and poo poo. People really like minis and I think it's the single reason Battletech has come back in such a big way.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Defiance Industries posted:

So hey, Shrapnel 12 is out, which means I can finally say that I wrote a thing about the 2nd Donegal Guard, and that it all originated with a desire to have a canonical founding day for the unit I play so that I had an excuse to get utterly shithoused

Congrats again man, as soon as it's DTF I'll be buying it plus there's a Nova Cat story about their doomed Rebellion against the Combine, first time that's topic's been touched in literally a decade.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

People really like minis and I think it's the single reason Battletech has come back in such a big way.

100%. Plus the minis look really, REALLY nice. It's been a big draw for students into the club.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

People really like minis and I think it's the single reason Battletech has come back in such a big way.

Gonna have to agree. I was interested in BT before the whole revival kicked in, but when the only option for minis was IWM "quality"... not super enthused. The new minis have their issues but they're absolutely a breath of fresh air.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Me too, played it back in the 90’s with Dad’s cardboard standee box, never touched it again (though played BT computer games) until the new minis made me curious to check it out.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Coincidentally in the same article as Lorcan's one about how they're Plastic Paddys :allears:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah there were a couple of coincidences like that. There was also another piece that made fun of the Hogarths and I wasn't even the only person to bring up Claudia Steiner.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
What does a Clanner do if you break his ant farm

a trial of grieve ants

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

As long as the queen survives he can trial of re-useal.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
My son drew a mech. That's "2 gauss rifles" listed first. I think he needs to beef up the armor a bit.

The radio box thing in the bottom left is designed to stop all wifi he says.

smdvogrin
Mar 8, 2019

Atlas Hugged posted:

My son drew a mech. That's "2 gauss rifles" listed first. I think he needs to beef up the armor a bit.

Your son has a great future as a Mech designer - this is a 100% fully usable 100-ton clan assault mech (to be fair, not treating his circles as 100% accurate for armor)

2x Gauss rifles (4 tons ammo)
ER PPC
LRM-20 (2 tons ammo)
ER Small laser
ECM Suite
Std engine, Endo-steel, Ferro-fibrous, CASEII for the LRM ammo

3/5/4 move with partial wing
100% armor

Firing everything but the ER Small generates only movement heat with the base 10 DHS.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

smdvogrin posted:

Your son has a great future as a Mech designer - this is a 100% fully usable 100-ton clan assault mech (to be fair, not treating his circles as 100% accurate for armor)

2x Gauss rifles (4 tons ammo)
ER PPC
LRM-20 (2 tons ammo)
ER Small laser
ECM Suite
Std engine, Endo-steel, Ferro-fibrous, CASEII for the LRM ammo

3/5/4 move with partial wing
100% armor

Firing everything but the ER Small generates only movement heat with the base 10 DHS.

I'm playing around with SSW trying to get this to work, but I can't get all the parts to fit. Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

I'm thinking it might have something to do with the fact that even with partial wing, SSW still makes me put in improved jump jets to get 4.

I'm also not really sure about optimal placement for the ferro-fibrous and endo-steel criticals.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
SSW is going to say "3/5/3" with standard JJs and a Partial Wing because the wing technically has different performance in different atmospheres. It'll still be 3/5/4 in any game anyone is actually playing.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Strobe posted:

SSW is going to say "3/5/3" with standard JJs and a Partial Wing because the wing technically has different performance in different atmospheres. It'll still be 3/5/4 in any game anyone is actually playing.

Well I obviously don't know the rules for any of those things, haha. In any case, this is my attempt at making this loving thing. I think everything fits right, but again I don't know for sure where the best placement for the FF and ES are.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

FF and ES placement only matter if you're building an omni. They're just rerolls so it only counts if you're locking a bunch of space in one location.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Atlas Hugged posted:

TRY-P0 Trypophobia

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

The big circles are hardened armor, clearly.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Atlas Hugged posted:

Well I obviously don't know the rules for any of those things, haha. In any case, this is my attempt at making this loving thing. I think everything fits right, but again I don't know for sure where the best placement for the FF and ES are.

No one's mentioned that his 'Mech has a hand on the record sheet (which would be Right Arm since record sheet tracks it on the right and not Left as if you were looking at it from the front). Nobody had better be taking those criticals off to save space or anything!

Clan XL Engine allows *all* the exploding components to be CASE II'd, helps to protect the XLE. The torso Gauss is an Armored Component to keep it in the fight longer.

Make that slap hand useful!

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 8, 2023

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Great suggestions everyone! I printed off a copy of the mech and now my kid thinks it's the coolest thing in the world.

We finally got around to starting our little campaign, though he was a bit confused by the concept. "It doesn't matter if we win or lose I thought?"

I remember the video game being a hell of a lot harder than this. I've probably played that scenario 100 times trying to get the most optimized outcome. Obviously the board game is a different beast than an early 90s PC game, but he wrecked the Locust in a single round of fire and then it couldn't pass any piloting tests to get back up because he nailed the gyro on the first shot. The Locust then proceeded to flip onto its back and take out its own engine. Good times... unless you were the pilot of the Locust.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Now I want to figure a way to bribe the freelancers to sneak the name "Atlas Huggedson" into canon. (Probably Rasalhaguian from the name!)

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Whats everyone's opinion on C3i ?

Is it factored into the BV cost or is it additional on top?

Could I run these

Toyama TYM-1B @ 1,788
Cerberus MR-6B @ 2,128
King Crab KGC-005 @ 2,264
Wraith TR3 @ 1,310

At 7,500 bv?

Also is it worth it?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Atlas Hugged posted:

Great suggestions everyone! I printed off a copy of the mech and now my kid thinks it's the coolest thing in the world.

We finally got around to starting our little campaign, though he was a bit confused by the concept. "It doesn't matter if we win or lose I thought?"

I remember the video game being a hell of a lot harder than this. I've probably played that scenario 100 times trying to get the most optimized outcome. Obviously the board game is a different beast than an early 90s PC game, but he wrecked the Locust in a single round of fire and then it couldn't pass any piloting tests to get back up because he nailed the gyro on the first shot. The Locust then proceeded to flip onto its back and take out its own engine. Good times... unless you were the pilot of the Locust.
From what I remember Jason Youngblood is just terrible at piloting a mech.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Saint Celestine posted:

Whats everyone's opinion on C3i ?

Is it factored into the BV cost or is it additional on top?

Could I run these

Toyama TYM-1B @ 1,788
Cerberus MR-6B @ 2,128
King Crab KGC-005 @ 2,264
Wraith TR3 @ 1,310

At 7,500 bv?

Also is it worth it?

It's added on top because the coefficient scales up higher the more units are in the network. So you could run that at 7,500 BV if you don't connect the network.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

It's added on top because the coefficient scales up higher the more units are in the network. So you could run that at 7,500 BV if you don't connect the network.

Oh I see. That seems expensive then.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That's because it's extremely good.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

It’s priced in already in Alpha Strike, but holy gently caress is it good there too. A friend of mine ran it in Southern Assault 2, fairly certain he was the most-hated guy there for it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Arquinsiel posted:

From what I remember Jason Youngblood is just terrible at piloting a mech.

While true, this scenario focused on the Jenner piloted by Grease taking on the Locust that was trying to get to the dropship in the water. I guess the actual Locust is just a hell of a lot easier to blast apart than in the game, especially if you win initiative and can take advantage of positioning. That rear armor is loving paper.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

If you want more ways to praise Blessed Blake, you can use the optional cyborg rules and give infantry Boosted Communications Implants and Enhanced Multi-Modal Sensory Implants which gives them a few nice bonuses including -1 to hit with weapon attacks and, best of all, the ability to join C3i networks.

So you can do stuff like this list I arbitrarily made from units I like:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Atlas Hugged posted:

While true, this scenario focused on the Jenner piloted by Grease taking on the Locust that was trying to get to the dropship in the water. I guess the actual Locust is just a hell of a lot easier to blast apart than in the game, especially if you win initiative and can take advantage of positioning. That rear armor is loving paper.
Ah, you're playing the sequel. That has a totally different combat system from my fuzzy memories of it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah, C3 is both incredibly expensive AND incredibly powerful. In my experience, you are either going to execute your plan perfectly and carve up your enemy or get your brain smashed in with a pipe wrench, no middle ground.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Arquinsiel posted:

Ah, you're playing the sequel. That has a totally different combat system from my fuzzy memories of it.

Yeah, Inception is the open-world RPG one where you wander around a map with a missile launcher trying to snag a mech from someone.

Revenge is basically just the tabletop game but in real-time. It's pretty neat, but stupidly hard. Still, the scenarios are good inspiration for linking our battles together. He's got the core rules down, so now it's time to make him start thinking critically and get him to worry about things like ammo and minimizing damage to himself.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

CHI also lets you have infinite money, all you have to do is buy stock in Defiance Industries and leave your computer running while you eat dinner. Come back and cash out to a shitload of profit.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

gently caress it I think I'll actually try this in a 7000 BV game (we play with free upgrades to 3/4, or I guess 3/8 for non-anti-mech infantry):

Bolla can't use its C3i while its stealth is active so there's no point having it in the network, so let's have more sniping field guns. Why light gauss instead of normal gauss? Because a platoon gets two of them instead of one, and gets 16 shots per gun instead of 8, and has longer range so they can just set up on a hill on my deployment side of the map and snipe with C3i assistance (plus the -1 from the implants!)

A lore-accurate Word of Blake infantry Level I would actually be two platoons of 18 men each with one light gauss per platoon but Megamek doesn't have that so I'd have to manually figure out the BV, and it would result in too many units for the C3i network. So I'm using the standard 28-man platoons.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
lol at C3. WiFi is lostech

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
If you assume it’s full sensor fusion (like the American military is always chasing), where one shooter can use a spotter’s sensor track for its own weapons without having to do any work itself, then it is at least 21st century tech. So it makes sense that the computers of the 1980s would see it as future wondershit that you need a literal ton of electronics to achieve.

I also think it’s kind of cool how the interaction of C3 and ECM creates a sort of ‘electronic terrain’ on the hex map. It’s a neat way of mapping an abstract to the game’s core mechanics.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Atlas Hugged posted:

Yeah, Inception is the open-world RPG one where you wander around a map with a missile launcher trying to snag a mech from someone.

Only if you're some scrub that didn't snag the Chameleon when you had the chance.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Huh. I guess that's where they got the design for Kylo Ren's shuttle from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Taerkar posted:

Only if you're some scrub that didn't snag the Chameleon when you had the chance.

The true pro-task was salvaging a Jenner.