Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

I don't disagree, during the Civil War in particular state capacity had to be created out of nowhere, because the antebellum Jacksonian ideology, particularly in the planter south, opposed the state about as much as neoliberals do now, albeit for different reasons.

What I think a difference is, is that what they would have to do now is not just converting car factories to make tanks, but restoring even basic social contracts, a belief in the nation as a shared project, with means material redistribution, popular participation in politics, a belief in all of the above strong enough to die for.

Bernie could not get a critical mass of people to believe change was possible. Clinton and Obama have fundamentally damaged belief in any promises from the government, which to reiterate, is required for people to make sacrifices for it. Biden has done dick all, and all he really had to promise was to not be Trump. So, supposing the Neoliberals decide to go to war, how are they going to completely reorganize society, in a way that would basically be revolutionary, while also maintaining their position in it?

More likely they would end up in the position of Napoleon III, creating the Paris Commune, or the many oligarchic Greek City-States that accidentally triggered revolutions when a war lasted into harvest time. War, beyond the economic reasons given, is a social phenomenon. Neoliberals believe "there is no such thing as society". Ergo, they cannot go to war.

Bottom line: What are the ruling class offering people that makes fighting on their behalf preferable to the ruling class being defeated by China?

yo this is a good-rear end post. I can hear it in Matt Christman's gravelly "been drinking LaCroixs all day" rasp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

yellowcar posted:

covid demonstrated america will never get its poo poo together

Yeah, everything I’ve seen indicates modern America would not be able to truly pull it together during a serious, existential war. I’m picturing the scene from Starship Troopers, when the presumably easy invasion of the Alien homeworld goes to poo poo instantly and a million people are killed in a few hours. I think in the book they execute the general in charge of the invasion, but in the movie they have a big press conference afterwards where they say they were overconfident and vow to take it seriously… only to basically change nothing and it’s clear by the end of the movie that they are still losing and the few victories are extremely pyrrhic.

Also I can’t imagine too many people signing up to die for this country. Like, yeah I can see a few racist chuds signing up day one for the chance to shoot foreigners, but I can’t see that happening day 2 onwards when people realize they are dying in a ditch or drowning at sea to protect Paul Pelosi’s freedom to drive drunk.

Edit: Basically I can’t imagine those in power making any changes that Frosted Flake thinks are required. I don’t think that means they won’t try to go to war, though, because I think they are very stupid and legitimately think they can win. We will get horribly hilarious articles in the media about how Millenials are killing patriotism when no one volunteers or buys war bonds (not that they have the money to anyway).

Pulcinella has issued a correction as of 22:34 on Mar 16, 2023

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

poland is gonna give ukraine 4 mig 29s

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
No one will sign up to fight for the oligarchs, but that's fine because they'll be conscripted anyway. The Russian model from the current war may be what we see, after all what use is having the most prisoners in the world and a society purpose built to make more if you're not going to enslave all of them?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The absolute best they'd be able to do is conscription for the front + slave labour for industry aka the Nazi Germany model, which as we all know was famously successful

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Slavvy posted:

The us was not a hollowed out neoliberal shell at the time. In the lead up to WW2 the US had an enormous industrial capacity and people in charge who knew what they were doing. Now it is a shadow of it's former self ruin by third generation failsons. There is no way to get from here to the previous state of affairs because:

there is still a great deal of industrial capacity, but it doesn’t really employ a lot of folks. it does very much still exist however.

Slavvy posted:

Also another fantastic use of 'we', really gives the game away

I’ve never hid what I am and the ideas I still participate in.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Bar Ran Dun posted:

there is still a great deal of industrial capacity, but it doesn’t really employ a lot of folks. it does very much still exist however.

not in any usable form. there may be screwdrivers lying around, but they no longer have hands

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah there's all these factories just chilling out like crated AK's slathered in cosmoline, waiting for the day president tucker gives the word to pull the covers off, switch back on and start cranking out hundreds of Abrams a day. Definitely.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

indigi posted:

not in any usable form. there may be screwdrivers lying around, but they no longer have hands

The change is: they don’t need many hands.

(well shipbuilding would.)

that’s coming everywhere in manufacturing too, not just the west.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

america couldn't even make enough lovely face masks so they lied that masks don't protect against covid

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

remember when nurses and doctors were wearing garbage bags because there weren't enough medical gowns

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
hoi4 has informed me its pretty easy to just make factories and go from tanks to forks and back as needed

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

also state authorities seizing each other's medical supplies while they were in transit was pretty funny

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

yellowcar posted:

remember when nurses and doctors were wearing garbage bags because there weren't enough medical gowns

i dont remember that episode of greys anatomy so its probably not a real thing that happened

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

yellowcar posted:

also state authorities seizing each other's medical supplies while they were in transit was pretty funny

Whoa, hey, some of those were Canadian.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

yellowcar posted:

the federal government handing over a bunch of confiscated medical supplies to private companies that then resold it to the people it had been stolen from in the first place

the US Navy committing piracy multiple times to steal shipments of medical supplies and not even bothering to try to justify it

the New England Patriots smuggling ventilators through customs on their private jet on behalf of their home state’s government to keep them from getting confiscated

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

yellowcar posted:

:d2a:

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

Bottom line: What are the ruling class offering people that makes fighting on their behalf preferable to the ruling class being defeated by China?

I think the message being 'offered' by the ruling class is that China, as the new nazi germany (but with a hatred of all white people, rather than Jews) wants to kill or enslave you personally, so you have to fight them out of self-preservation. Conveniently this also means no introspection upon your own society is required.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

remember the donation drives to buy body armor for American troops in Iraq lol

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
our very own lowtax got his paypal suspended over that

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Wheeee posted:

this very website had one if I recall

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

bring back current events

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Wheeee posted:

Bush had to really loosen restrictions on who was allowed to join the military (and also StopLoss™) because the military couldn’t meet its recruiting goals. That was 2004. Barely 3 years after :911: and people had long since stopped signing up to shoot people. So yeah, war with China would have to involve the draft.

Also lol at this article:
https://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/07/world/middleeast/many-missteps-tied-to-delay-in-armor-for-troops-in-iraq.html

“Oh everyone on the frontlines in Iraq at this exact second has body armor? I guess we don’t need to buy any more. Let me just cancel the rest of the orders! :pseudo:

Also the usual style of grift, giving a military contract for ceramic plants to some random guy who has no idea how to make them but has connections.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Bar Ran Dun posted:

The change is: they don’t need many hands.

(well shipbuilding would.)

that’s coming everywhere in manufacturing too, not just the west.

they need an industrial base to process the metal into weapons. The US manufactures less steel than India lol.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Wheeee posted:

bring back current events

- alternate universe Francis Fukuyama

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Tankbuster posted:

they need an industrial base to process the metal into weapons. The US manufactures less steel than India lol.

US domestic steel product is often (it fluctuates so I don’t know this weeks) around 1.6 million tons a week.

do you think that is not adequate for industrial war?

A carrier displaces about 100,000 tons (to keep this all simple I’m not gunna bother with ST vs LT vs MT.) a tank is like 63 tons.

if there were a switch to a war command economy is steel production the bottleneck for the US?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bar Ran Dun posted:

US domestic steel product is often (it fluctuates so I don’t know this weeks) around 1.6 million tons a week.

do you think that is not adequate for industrial war?

A carrier displaces about 100,000 tons (to keep this all simple I’m not gunna bother with ST vs LT vs MT.) a tank is like 63 tons.

if there were a switch to a war command economy is steel production the bottleneck for the US?

You really can't grasp that this is literally impossible, can you?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
all steel is not the same, hth

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

They could do tax credits for people who buy war bonds

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
um excuse me i think you mean means tested tax credits for people who buy war bonds for three years in disadvantaged communities

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

oh I get that you think it’s impossible.

let’s ignore the existential war point from earlier. think about another possibility , real actual fascism. we go from neo-liberalism to an out right open fascist totalitarian state.

see it’s not impossible materially. you think it’s impossible ideologically

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Cerebral Bore posted:

all steel is not the same, hth

oh yeah definitely not.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
"Yeah uh, hi, uh, I'll take a, uh, command economy, please."

"Sir, we don't have that anymore."

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

don’t confuse possible for likely.

I don’t think these scenarios are likely.

Bar Ran Dun has issued a correction as of 07:08 on Mar 17, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bar Ran Dun posted:

oh I get that you think it’s impossible.

let’s ignore the existential war point from earlier. think about another possibility , real actual fascism. we go from neo-liberalism to an out right open fascist totalitarian state.

see it’s not impossible materially. you think it’s impossible ideologically

Fascism is also not capable of properly marshalling the resources of the state even in an existential war. Source: world war two.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

fascist america would make the abrams 3, which weigs 300 tons and has a railgun that fires rounds that cost a million dollars each

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
u know where they make steel?

thats right

PITTSBURGH

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

the idea of neoliberal states powering up to rational technocratic economic governance in the face of total war or whatever duress is extremely funny.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Bar Ran Dun posted:

oh yeah definitely not.

then why are you pretending as if it is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

then why are you pretending as if it is?

that's his posting gimmick