Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

And the units were contiguous, you just steadily upgraded the vehicles and infantry squads but the personnel stayed the same and got promoted etc, there was a lot of value in keeping your veteran troops intact vs just buying fresh squads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I first got access to a KV-1 and at the very beginning of the first mission I got to use it its engine froze at its starting location.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Also the KV-2 is the hero of Moscow and single-handedly stopped the Germans.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Frosted Flake posted:

The tighter focus to one week in September was probably a positive considering the story A Bridge Too Far is telling. The forces are already decided, what the British, Polish and American paras had with them, plus XXX Corps. Given the scale of gameplay and map size, it makes a campaign where you tank those forces through the end of the campaign satisfying and plausible. Sgt Smith, the winner of a VC for his 17 Pdr knocking out multiple Tigers, that's a soldier you can get invested in. In CC3, you're discarding forces as the war goes on, until you get to I suppose T-34 Model 1943s. To really get invested in the soldiers, their leadership, morale, to learn the tactics used for a formation really well, I do think you need to play out your whole campaign with US AB BAR squads or something, rather than experiencing the huge variety of changes in equipment and tactics over the war.

This reminds me of an ad I can't find online anywhere for the Original Close Combat. I think it was in MacAddict magazine, though I'm sure others. At the top is text about ordering your rifle squad to attack a tank with a bazooka against all odds and blah blah and then the artwork is a GI standing in bocage country flipping off the reader. Introducing individual soldiers with their own states and morale and stuff was a big leap, and part of what makes Close Combat special. Not only would the soldiers very not likely do it, even if you had a Heroic or Berserk soldier that did, you get invested in them, so there are two checks on their behavior: their own in terms of suppression and morale, and yours in terms of starting to see them as your guys. Close combat does it the best, above even Combat Mission which I agree in theory could merge the large and small scale but is really held back by the developers, and I would suspect their small team and limited resources.

I played CC2 as a kid when I got the 3 pack. I never really understood it but I liked moving around the army mans.

I played it as an adult and the only time I've ever finished a CC campaign legitimately, was as the Germans in 2 lol. You get early victories and hold them at the DZs and then your force pool gets better and better as reinforcements showed up. One of the emergent narrative things that happened is when I found a sniper who had the last name of someone I know, so I kept trying to get him killed to create a time paradox, he just wouldn't die even if he was on the front line, even though every sniper I've ever used in any of these games just uses up their bullets and dies.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Yeah, the tank balance swung wildly between soviets/germans/soviets throughout the big campaign. Think at the start the only thing that could take out the KV was the 88 and the Stug HEAT ammo. Sadly the only LPer of those games on youtube is TIK.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
huh, while the Bridge Too Far remake on Steam uses the annoying strategic map, the remake of C&C3 on Steam (Cross of Iron) is literally just the original game with a different name and support for higher resolutions

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Because the art assets were so simple there were some amazing and detailed mods for those early Close Combat games but I can't find them anywhere or even remember what the really good ones were called. There are an incredibly meticulously researched one for CC3, the work that went into the composition of rifle squads in both armies throughout the war, how common SVTs were, etc.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mister Bates posted:

huh, while the Bridge Too Far remake on Steam uses the annoying strategic map, the remake of C&C3 on Steam (Cross of Iron) is literally just the original game with a different name and support for higher resolutions

Yep, it's the best

Frosted Flake posted:

Because the art assets were so simple there were some amazing and detailed mods for those early Close Combat games but I can't find them anywhere or even remember what the really good ones were called. There are an incredibly meticulously researched one for CC3, the work that went into the composition of rifle squads in both armies throughout the war, how common SVTs were, etc.

They are very much still out there, they have varying levels of Politicality though

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Slavvy posted:

They are very much still out there, they have varying levels of Politicality though

https://youtu.be/RDOdvA71i_4

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I remember playing some ancient SEGA strategy games as a kid, with similar user interfaces, one was Operation Europe: Something something, which was a couple of scenarios of the big WW2 battles of the European theater, other's name I forgot but it was the WW2 Pacific Theater.

It took me loving forever to figure out how logistics worked, lol.

The most memorable part of it was probably the very first scenario of Operation Europe. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to hold off the Germans as the French until I went gently caress it and combined every CharB from various units I had into a single unit and started playing panzer whack-a-mole while my infantry and artillery holed up in the cities(towns?) and behind bridges I couldn't blow up fast enough and just tried not to die before before my tanks do their thing.

The pacific theater one was a intimidating due to the much larger scope, I remember figuring it out eventually while playing USA, but not before being clowned on by the Japanese for a while.

Since my father is a history nerd and a veteran AAA operator, he had some relevant books I randomly flipped through that had helped me wrap my head around all that stuff. Still kind of proud of kid me for figuring out that concentrating the tanks was the answer, tho.

my dad has issued a correction as of 00:42 on Mar 16, 2023

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'm suddenly reminded of KOEI's Romance of the Three Kingdoms games, too. I first played the second one, ended up choosing Cao Cao at random, liked it, started learning about the period. I think the one I played the most was the third, though. I also played one of the later ones, but I forgot which one, that was many, many, many years afterwards, tho.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Everyone wants to make the Germany wins lost cause mod

Nobody wants to make the soviets make no mistakes and crush the Nazis like weak kitten mod

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

theres mods that gave soviets more SVTs?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Tankbuster posted:

theres mods that gave soviets more SVTs?

Less, actually. It also added some to German rifle squads mid-war, through they were exceedingly rare, like 1 per squad, 1 squad in 5 or something.

I believe it may have been called Real Red?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I really don't recall a lot of SVTs in CC3. Loved using my sapper/engineer squads with MG support to clear out houses. The only contemporary RTS that does that is of course Company of Heroes

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Slavvy posted:

Everyone wants to make the Germany wins lost cause mod

Nobody wants to make the soviets make no mistakes and crush the Nazis like weak kitten mod

That's just vanilla HoI.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 05:11 on Mar 16, 2023

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

With a name like Red Flood thats kind of what I had assumed it was

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Lostconfused posted:

That's just vanilla HoI.

NO, You put the mogwai poland in contact with water. It will mutate into a gremlin!

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Lostconfused posted:

Edit: Also this patch could still be bugged. Because the petit bourgeoisie have suspiciously low support. Everyone is either a progressive liberal or a peasant/worker.

New rural building called "suburbia" that unlocks around endgame and creates a lot of petite boug while absorbing labor and generating useless services in exchange for burning up arable land.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

If I recall correctly CC3 had a few tangible UI improvements over CC2. I think you could mass-select squads and give them all a move, attack, or facing order for example. CC2 had you doing individual orders on squads for certain things but it's decades old at this point. Both campaigns were amazing in their own way, the mechanics and interface improvements make CC3 a bit more fun to play but i really enjoy the scenario and paratrooper vs land army dynamic of CC2. Not to mention the memorable locations and bridgeheads.

Barbarossa and counterattack are also incredible! Maybe I should try the steam CC3 remake, I was burned by last stand Arnhem and I don't have a high opinion of matrix games but they might be the only studio doing these things.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
also speaking of matrix games, what the gently caress happened with eric young's squad assault?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Danann posted:

New rural building called "suburbia" that unlocks around endgame and creates a lot of petite boug while absorbing labor and generating useless services in exchange for burning up arable land.

Also yeah Prussia/North Germans are just incredibly boring.

They either need to make unification more challenging or add a couple of more events along the way to shake things up.

Edit: loving Germans, I swear to god, I don't even know what's going on here. Apparently nazis and socdem military make for the most popular government?

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 17:08 on Mar 16, 2023

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

my dad posted:

I'm suddenly reminded of KOEI's Romance of the Three Kingdoms games, too. I first played the second one, ended up choosing Cao Cao at random, liked it, started learning about the period. I think the one I played the most was the third, though. I also played one of the later ones, but I forgot which one, that was many, many, many years afterwards, tho.

I’m in a retro binge now and have RoTK II on the SNES lodes up. it’s really obtuse, though, and I keep putting it away, because it seems you need to read through the manual like in the olden days to be able to make it through turn 1.

Top Gun Reference
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug
This looks neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y30pksc8H1Q

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Mokotow posted:

I’m in a retro binge now and have RoTK II on the SNES lodes up. it’s really obtuse, though, and I keep putting it away, because it seems you need to read through the manual like in the olden days to be able to make it through turn 1.

I can assure you, from experience, that you do not need a manual. You just need to be extremely stubborn about figuring things out and try to guess what things might do.

It is obtuse. Try RoTK III if you have it, it's a hell of a lot more intuitive while still being retro jank.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lostconfused posted:

Edit: loving Germans, I swear to god, I don't even know what's going on here. Apparently nazis and socdem military make for the most popular government?

Red-Brown alliance

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Looking at that screenshot I have the anarchists leading the workers, and the communists leading the peasants. While the conservatives are all jingoists.

So truly an alliance between racist shopkeepers and socdem officers are the only thing that can keep the country from exploding between the people that want to kill the government and the people that want to kill the minorities.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Mokotow posted:

koei games are always like that because they rely so much on complicated icons to convey things. usually once you get a handle on the interface it's not so bad.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
if you want the best rotk experience you want the ps2 era

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

social democracy is objectively the left wing of fascism

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
trip report on the first operation of the Grand Campaign in the CC3 remaster on Steam, which is now called 'Cross of Iron' for some reason:

still pretty good. It still uses the same linked-maps campaign system as the original, instead of the strategic map in Last Stand Arnhem, and getting to play with both of them side by side in what are otherwise very similar games has reinforced my opinion that the old way of doing it was superior.

the AI is very good at prioritizing my heavy machine guns with its mortar teams but plays extremely cautiously with its tanks, especially notable in this first scenario because the Soviet player will probably be literally unable to afford any anti-tank firepower on the first map, and desperately short on AT firepower on the second map. In both scenarios I was able to hold out against the Germans for several truces before falling back, racking up more and more victory points with each passing engagement, when they could have wiped me off the map easily if they'd just pushed with even one tank. Funnily enough, when they did finally start pushing aggressively with their armor, it was on the third map, when I'd poured all of my points into a single medium tank, which killed a Stug and three tanks with four glorious lucky shots, instantly breaking their back.

I had one precious dushka which inflicted absolute murder on the enemy infantry, despite spending huge portions of the battles stunned and unconscious from mortar near-misses. The AI nearly took them out with mortar fire several times but never quite managed to seal the deal. They did kill the team leader once, and the gunner got promoted to fill his shoes, so the guy with the most kills in the unit isn't even on the gun anymore.

overall the experience still holds up very well and is mostly as good as I remember it being, looking forward to bringing my surviving troops into the defense of Moscow operation.

That having been said, A Bridge Too Far still holds a special place in my heart as one of the first proper real-time strategy games I ever played, and I will still probably come back to Last Stand Arnhem again, warts and all.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
the CC3 remake doesn't have the IS-3 :(

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It also needs to be played on the hardest difficulty with the ai units set to always follow orders

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

atelier morgan posted:

thanks for this and all the previous RoTK tidbits, everyone!

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Really tempted to try Cross of Iron now.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
CC is also real fun in multiplayer, though you will quickly notice how overpowered mortars are when you are a god hovering over the battlefield able to instantly communicate the position of revealed exposed enemy infantry to the mortar team.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
even in the hands of the AI the mortars are way, way more dangerous in 3 than they were in 2, their rate of fire is massively increased, their killing power against infantry out of cover is very high, and units in cover will either be heavily suppressed or stunned and knocked unconscious, which can be devastating if they happen to be under attack by something else at the time.

In practice the AI is not very good at coordinating its pushes and exploiting these openings, and there were multiple times where I won matchups that I definitely would have lost if playing even a novice human player, because the AI did not make the connection 'the heavy machine gun is not firing anymore after that direct mortar hit, I should push now'.

but also the game is 24 years old so I suppose I shouldn't judge it too harshly

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

atelier morgan posted:

New PC ROTK is pretty and is easier to pickup if you have Total War brain.

The more I play Tarkov the more I think it belongs here rather than in general games chat. It is so fuckin grognard-y

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

should i get steel division 2 on sale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

StashAugustine posted:

should i get steel division 2 on sale

I like it. I've had fun with the campaigns, although they can be brutally difficult.