Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I’m sure Putin would like Russia’s 1906 borders back too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

wonder if this person supports any ngos

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

learned yesterday the cia disagrees with this notion

https://www.cia.gov/readingroom/document/cia-rdp81-01043r002300220007-1

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
Been really enjoying watching all the instant drone-propeller-longitudinal-torsional-strength-under-unexpected-loads experts do:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fC2oke5MFg
but with fuel, so they can insist we must now end the world.

This conflict certainly generates lots of experts in obscure militeria who are very sure of themselves because they've played every Call Of Duty.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

lol

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

lol

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Comrade Koba posted:

here’s to another 1000

no wait

You're right.

Another 10,000.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Al-Saqr posted:

1001 pages and not a single smooch from putin

We already carry his love in our collective hearts.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

lolllll

https://twitter.com/PeImeniPusha/status/1636560361158754307?t=CPFqG5iXEl5X1CleLLC2pw&s=19

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

i mean if i were russian i would love to go back to a 1906 border

xiaoren
Dec 9, 2021

Man those are a lot of additional ethnicities to purge

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

xiaoren posted:

Man those are a lot of additional ethnicities to purge

something tells me they're up for it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

Zvahl posted:

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Zvahl posted:

lol every time

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

that’s an interesting read, why was it secret? is everything the cia writes secret by convention? i know now it would be secret because it flys in the face everything the media is telling us mind

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fits my needs posted:

lol every time

"We will never give up, we shall slaughter the Russians, our spirit is indomitable!" I post, as I sit in West Germany enjoying my latte and fresh croissant, waiting for the poetry slam to begin.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jel Shaker posted:

that’s an interesting read, why was it secret? is everything the cia writes secret by convention? i know now it would be secret because it flys in the face everything the media is telling us mind

p much yes, but in this particular case they're seemingly talking about inserting us special forces into the ussr, which would be something you do want to keep secret for obvious reasons

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/rBalticStates/status/1636278776098168833?t=_ABokfPsOP1Bm43R7a9vFw&s=19

least fascist redditor award

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

pissed off everyone is gonna make a bunch of posts overnight and I won’t get to post on page 1000.

well. it happened.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

my "im not a nazi" waffen ss uniform answers the questions raised by my waffen ss uniform

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016
I can't even imagine what horrors lurk in r/BalticStates

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
whatever happened to eastern european anti russia solidarity

https://twitter.com/azgeopolitics/status/1636703871195136005?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/16/europe/bakhmut-wagner-yevgeny-prigozhin-intl-cmd/index.html

quote:

The Ukrainian military appears to have decided to stay in the battle for Bakhmut, and that only lengthens the odds for Prigozhin. One Ukrainian soldier said in a television interview on Tuesday: "As long as there is a stable front, as long as there is a stable supply, as long as there is a stable evacuation of the wounded, it is obvious that the city must be held."

If Wagner is decimated in an unsuccessful bid to take Bakhmut, Prigozhin might find himself out in the cold.

Writing in The Spectator, Kremlin-watcher Mark Galeotti says: "Putin is happy to give the political entrepreneurs who swirl around his court a degree of autonomy if they promise results, but he will as easily discard them if they fail to deliver."

And Prigozhin has bet the farm on Bakhmut.

xiaoren
Dec 9, 2021

They were nazis but they were our nazis

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Jel Shaker posted:

First, large amounts of files in a typical military office are Protected or Classified, one way or another. I'll explain,

Protected documents pertain to non-national interests, such as individuals or organizations. These documents are divided into three levels:

Protected A: (Bad) could cause injury to an individual, organization, or government if compromised.
Protected B: (Worse) could cause serious injury if compromised.
Protected C: (Worst) could cause extremely grave injury if compromised.

Classified documents, on the other hand, deal with national interests, defense, and the social, political, and economic stability of a country. Classified information is divided into three levels as well:

Confidential: (🌶)Information that could cause injury to the national interest if compromised.
Secret:(🌶🌶) Information that could cause serious injury to the national interest if compromised.
Top Secret:(🌶🌶🌶) Information that could cause exceptionally grave injury to the national interest if compromised.

Also, there are NATO clearances, which authorize access to NATO classified information for specific tasks. There's not really a situation where you'd get a Canadian Level III (TS) but not NATO though, it's just authorized by someone else . Then there's Five Eyes stuff.

In the context of CADTC, RMC, DRDC , nearly all non-academic material would fall into either the Protected or Classified categories due to the sensitive nature of military operations, specific capabilities of equipment, and anything that involves existing planning. I post on my personal phone on the public internet, but quite a bit of the work material I spend my day on has something or other marked on it or can only be accessed on the defence intranet. The easiest example that comes to mind is the Defense Word Bank, which I need to use for all professional writing. It's a giant glossary of Government of Canada acronyms and definitions, in English and French, but because of some of the stuff contained therein, it's Confidential and restricted to the intranet. The difference between Supremacy and Superiority are state secrets.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 13:41 on Mar 17, 2023

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

xiaoren posted:

They were nazis but they were our nazis

no, can't you read, those members of the waffen ss were NOT NAZIS, jeez people

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

my "im not a nazi" waffen ss uniform answers the questions raised by my waffen ss uniform

Omfg

https://twitter.com/rBalticStates/status/1636278791315021827?s=20

xiaoren
Dec 9, 2021

I'm sorry I was distracted by all the nazi regalia on the non-nazis

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

xiaoren posted:

I'm sorry I was distracted by all the nazi regalia on the non-nazis

Fyi Latvia is majority Shinto

Edit: Very unfortunate they got the Buddhist/Shinto swastika backwards and for some reason stuck with it.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Actually, I have a note on my desk about a topic that's apparently been classified by a national government beyond even NATO, despite being 80 years old, and that nobody in academia or otherwise (so far as I know) knows anything about.

French planning and preparations for returning to Indochina took two parallel tracks. First, as early as 1943 the French began organizing a special force to return to Indochina which would either work with in situ forces to evict the Japanese, or merely reoccupy Indochina upon Japanese evacuation. The force for this operation included covert operators who joined the shadowy Force 136 - a British Special Operations Executive organization that was based in India and conducted unconventional warfare in the southeast Asia area. These were the personnel who were infiltrating Indochina in 1944-1945 to contact in situ forces and to organize maquis; they were probably also the reason the Japanese determined the in situ forces were a threat and therefore wiped them out in March 1945. Details on the size and organization of the French elements of Force 136 are hard to find, as their operations were especially secret not only from the Japanese - but from the Americans. As their operations had not been ratified by the Combined Chiefs of Staffs and were contrary to American policy, French covert efforts were especially sensitive. This also led to the situation where American covert operators were assisting the organization and equipping of the Viet Minh - an obviously anti-French outfit - while other pro-French elements were being organized by Force 136. However, it is known that the French intelligence services provided the personnel for Force 136, and they parachuted several teams akin to the Jedburghs of the European theater between December 1944 and January 1945.

Jean-Pierre Pissardy alludes to it in Commandos Nord-Vietnam, 1951-1954 but that's pretty much all anyone outside of the French government knows.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Actually, I have a note on my desk about a topic that's apparently been classified by a national government beyond even NATO, despite being 80 years old, and that nobody in academia or otherwise (so far as I know) knows anything about.

FF is gonna make the War Thunder leaks look like child's play.

Edit: Deleted the SECRET//NATO RESTRICTED information.

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ardennes posted:

You can buy as much body armor and helmets from China that you want, weird airsoft larpers do it all the time.

discovered /r/tacticalgear yesterday, which i assume is just a bunch of dudes posting their airsoft load outs because they carry around so much poo poo it’d be impractical for anything involving walking more than a mile

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

speng31b
May 8, 2010

👍

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

BadOptics posted:

FF is gonna make the War Thunder leaks look like child's play.

No, that's the note. I'm studying the French use of artillery as dispersed platoons from 1945-49 and counterinsurgency theory blah blah blah. Part of that touched on the French use of indigenous commandos, who were particularly active in the Annam region (where 80% of the population never saw a Frenchman), because they were the ones calling for fire. Then I got to a footnote that said, oh by the way they were probably active as early as 1943 but nobody knows because France has not released any information about the group that trained them whatsoever. Which led to discovering Force 136, which is the note. That's all I know about it, France organized a group to secretly infiltrate Indochina from about mid 1943 but nobody knows anything about them or what they got up to. The British parachuted them in there and provided equipment and training, but that's where the trail ends.

It's also not something I'm researching so I'm not requesting documents from the French archives or anything. It's just every so often you'll come across something that's either still secret, or was so secret nobody knows if all files were destroyed, where they might be, who they belong to etc.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Lmao

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

HiroProtagonist posted:

It appears to be this.

While the triskele would set off alarm bells as it did for me, it's not overtly fascist signaling

I'm the guy trying to kick his own rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

drat dude theyre putting dash cams on russian airplanes now?